Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Mercury Hat posted:

Agreed on the Roboco shirts, those were great. I hope the exclusive Shonen Jump merchandise store is paying attention!!!!!

Ahem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: Hell yeah, let's get this poo poo going!!!!!!! Nice to see more of the other rival in this tournament, too. Akane is a dork. Going to assume the guy excites Issho enough for him to drop the facade and verbally lay into him. It's interesting because Karashi seems to think Issho is a traditionalist, and the first chapter does seem to give you that impression (Akane's dad delivered a unique take on an act and removed one of its main attractions to go all-in on his strengths, but Issho claimed that it "wasn't rakugo" and expelled him and the other promotion exam takers). But when we see Issho in the present, talking to the interviewer, he actually seems to be the opposite, and more concerned about how to modify rakugo to be more enticing to the modern audience so it can compete with more modern venues of entertainment. Honestly, the mystery of Issho is one of the most interesting things about the series to me.

Aliens Area: I forgot what I read.

Elusive Samurai: Holy poo poo the Kokushi's gone completely insane in the war crimes department.

Mashle: Another job. Wow, I think dogsicle may be right about the series.

Roboco: Jesus Christ I really am tempted to buy some of the linked Roboco merch, holy poo poo. (Nevermind, they're all sold out...)

Ruri Dragon: Ruri continuing to play the Switch as her mom drags her out of bed and the reveal that she never fuckin' went to school after her declaration in the previous chapter is so mood and realistic. Ruri continues to be super cute and I'm assuming there's gonna be at least one more demihuman in the class. Such a nice series.

Sakamoto Days: Bitchin' fight choreography, love how creative Sakamoto is with using everyday props to kick rear end. Dude's not constrained by equipment, which I think sets him apart from most of the assassins/murderers in the series, who tend to have unique weapons (even 3 of the Order members carry around their own weapons).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Akane-banashi: Hell yeah, let's get this poo poo going!!!!!!! Nice to see more of the other rival in this tournament, too. Akane is a dork. Going to assume the guy excites Issho enough for him to drop the facade and verbally lay into him. It's interesting because Karashi seems to think Issho is a traditionalist, and the first chapter does seem to give you that impression (Akane's dad delivered a unique take on an act and removed one of its main attractions to go all-in on his strengths, but Issho claimed that it "wasn't rakugo" and expelled him and the other promotion exam takers). But when we see Issho in the present, talking to the interviewer, he actually seems to be the opposite, and more concerned about how to modify rakugo to be more enticing to the modern audience so it can compete with more modern venues of entertainment. Honestly, the mystery of Issho is one of the most interesting things about the series to me.

Yeah, I like the ambiguity/nuance surrounding Issho. The father in PPPPPP feels like a rehash of Azami from Food Wars; Issho doesn't, despite being an authority figure in his artistic field with high standards who's kind of an rear end in a top hat. This is not just because he isn't an abusive parent; it's also important that Akani-banashi acknowledges that 1) rakugo, while important to the main character, is a fairly niche artform, and thus Issho isn't some kind of threat to human civilization, and 2) aesthetic judgement is more complicated than "everyone has basically the same aesthetic views, but some people are more snobbish about them".

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Issho's relationship with Shiguma is also pretty interesting, too.

Issho himself doesn't seem to care much for Shiguma; he's not happy with Shiguma's presence in Chapter 1, and one of the judges tells the other not to mention Shiguma in Issho's presence in the most recent chapter.

Yet, Shiguma himself doesn't seem to hate Issho, even after Issho expelled his own pupil (Akane's dad), and seems fairly wistful and nostalgic when he thinks about Issho in Chapter 13.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1542034797576433664?t=eVcK8oISBKnSTMN5AQvNMQ&s=19

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Here lies Taguchi's Career.
It never scored.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Come on, he deserves another chance. He's only killed 4 series so far.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

This is very funny after the recent discussion of him

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm reading Show-ha Shoten and think it's pretty good. They do a good job of converting the comedy routines to a manga and the main characters are very likeable.

edit: Caught up (only 9 chapters so far) and I'll be surprised if this is cancelled early. It just has the feel of something that will last. Very good pacing, and more importantly the comedy routines they do are actually funny (and it does a very good job of explaining the various challenges of doing effective comedy). A lot of "characters doing performing arts" manga rely on just telling the reader how good people are. Music manga is the worst about this (though it's not like the authors have any choice).

Edit: Also looking forward to the Show-Ha Shoten / Dandadan crossover where it is revealed that Shijima is the parallel universe version of Takakura (seriously they look and act like the exact same guy)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 29, 2022

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I love the Elusive Samurai's Heian Metal Gear so much lol

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I'm reading Show-ha Shoten and think it's pretty good. They do a good job of converting the comedy routines to a manga and the main characters are very likeable.

edit: Caught up (only 9 chapters so far) and I'll be surprised if this is cancelled early. It just has the feel of something that will last. Very good pacing, and more importantly the comedy routines they do are actually funny (and it does a very good job of explaining the various challenges of doing effective comedy). A lot of "characters doing performing arts" manga rely on just telling the reader how good people are. Music manga is the worst about this (though it's not like the authors have any choice).

Edit: Also looking forward to the Show-Ha Shoten / Dandadan crossover where it is revealed that Shijima is the parallel universe version of Takakura (seriously they look and act like the exact same guy)

Yep, Show-Ha Shoten is just very enjoyable. Especially in the earlier chapters it explained the theories behind comedy in fantastic detail and metaphors. The in story jokes lately (for me) have been miss quite a lot, but the more meta humor has still been on point.
The author is making good use of it's monthly schedule while still making it feel like we're having actual progress.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Ruri Dragon: Ruri continuing to play the Switch as her mom drags her out of bed and the reveal that she never fuckin' went to school after her declaration in the previous chapter is so mood and realistic. Ruri continues to be super cute and I'm assuming there's gonna be at least one more demihuman in the class. Such a nice series.

Yeah, my immediate reaction was "Hey, teach, you a kappa under that hair, or something?"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

Yep, Show-Ha Shoten is just very enjoyable. Especially in the earlier chapters it explained the theories behind comedy in fantastic detail and metaphors. The in story jokes lately (for me) have been miss quite a lot, but the more meta humor has still been on point.
The author is making good use of it's monthly schedule while still making it feel like we're having actual progress.

The more recent story jokes (when they go from sketch comedy to manzai) kind of require having a feel for how manzai comedy works and translating the actions of the characters to what it'd look like as an actual manzai performance. It's impressive that the comic actually directly shows the various skits instead of just giving a vague description of the performance and showing audience reactions.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Come on, he deserves another chance. He's only killed 4 series so far.

Agravity Boys is in some ways the most notable entry there, since it's the one that went the longest (excluding MHA) and the one he had the least to do with... other than killing it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Brought To You By posted:

So a new series launched called Make the Exorcist Fall in Love and whoo boy is the first chapter something.

Tried reading this and it was incredibly offputting. The gore is bad enough (and doesn't really add anything to the series), but the part where the mentor priest tells the MC that all you need to fill up your life is love is such a toxic message, especially when you remember that the MC is an abused kid who was trained to repress all emotions.

And, uh, how old is the protagonist again? Because in the flash-forward, he looks like he might be 12-14, while the female lead's 18, which is, uh...

Shinji2015 posted:

Witch Watch - I like the teacher/student chapters, but they feel so disconnected from the rest of the series that it might as well be its own manga.

:same:

It feels like the author wanted to write a manga like Bakuman but didn't have enough material to make it into a full series, so now they just jammed it into their current work. Witch Watch is like Agravity Boys in that it lost interest in the plot they set up so now it's just been floundering around.

Darth TNT posted:

Also remember the dangerous dust storm that took out Albert and was going to destroy the space station? If yes, you have a better memory than the author.
These people are all so selfish. Kareri is literally, I want to come back to Reisuke can praise me more.

I don't think they even told the ISS folks to get to safety or any token show of concern. :lol:

chiasaur11 posted:

Agravity Boys is in some ways the most notable entry there, since it's the one that went the longest (excluding MHA) and the one he had the least to do with... other than killing it.

I'm curious when Taguchi took over that series. Was it before or after Agravity Boys started doing those lovely gender jokes? Those were what truly soured me on that series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

amigolupus posted:

I'm curious when Taguchi took over that series. Was it before or after Agravity Boys started doing those lovely gender jokes? Those were what truly soured me on that series.

Wasn't that like... chapter 2?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Wasn't that like... chapter 2?

Huh, guess I either forgot about those details or missed them in the middle of the other jokes. But, I was thinking more about the Agravity Girls part where things got really weird.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

amigolupus posted:

Tried reading this and it was incredibly offputting. The gore is bad enough (and doesn't really add anything to the series), but the part where the mentor priest tells the MC that all you need to fill up your life is love is such a toxic message, especially when you remember that the MC is an abused kid who was trained to repress all emotions.

Someone speculated that his master might have been Satan in disguise, which would explain that (since he wants to make the MC love Lilith later). So in that case the "guidance" wouldn't exactly be framed as good/wise.

vvv Yeah I don't necessarily agree with that read, just that there's a plausible explanation for it

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 30, 2022

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

not sure why telling a kid to find and form loving relationships is toxic, it's a rough intro for a few reasons but that seems a particularly ungenerous read

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It'd be fine if the master told the MC that he should form loving relationships with others, but he told the kid to fall in love with someone. I get that it was supposed to be inspirational and the theme of the series, but telling a suicidal kid that he'll find happiness and stop feeling like poo poo if he falls in love just rubs me the wrong way. Poor kid needs therapy and a support group, not romance.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

amigolupus posted:

And, uh, how old is the protagonist again? Because in the flash-forward, he looks like he might be 12-14, while the female lead's 18, which is, uh...
Oh no it's much worse if that's your concern. If you didn't make it to the end of chapter 2, Imura isn't 18 because she's Lilith. And I feel like the story isn't putting any breaks on itself by having a Salty runback between Mammon and the MC but also because of things like immediately shunting the mentor figure to the sidelines and having the first "date" between our main pair in chapter 3. In another series I feel like the mentor would have been a chapter longer to at least establish a real bond between the two but he's in and out before I knew it.

That being said I had a chuckle at this panel because again, since the story is running full steam ahead there isn't any real room for normal seduction with this chick.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Viz put up the original Saint Seiya manga and I'm reading it for the first time. I gotta admit it's... not very engaging. Everything seems to go like this:

"We must protect the prince-"
"Oh no! The Princess has been kidnapped. Time to race against time to rescue her before she dies."
"Not so fast! I am more powerful than a mere Bronze! You can't hurt me!"
"Gasp! My punches don't work"
"But have you considered... PUNCHING HARDER?!"
"HOW CAN THIS BE? His punch punched me!"
"*A scene of someone's head flying off with a blood trail behind it, turns out a page later it was a dream/fake/he was hiding his head in his chest despite us seeing the stream of blood and the head in the helmet."
*replace punches with Ice/Chain/Dragon Punch/Gouging Your Eyes Out by preference.*

Perhaps it picks up but so far it feels like the same three scenes repeated with slight changes. I usually don't mind older stuff so I'm surprised how dull I find it.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
You need to really be into absurd power scaling and 80s cheese to get enjoyment out of the original, I found. I did for a while watching the anime, but dropped off just before the big boss rush arc.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm still surprised Saint Seiya is some sort of pro wrestling setup and not some monster of the week like the character design led me to believe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

You need to really be into absurd power scaling and 80s cheese to get enjoyment out of the original, I found. I did for a while watching the anime, but dropped off just before the big boss rush arc.

I could see it being a lot more engaging in anime form since in the manga they basically just jump right to the stock footage without any in-between.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm still surprised Saint Seiya is some sort of pro wrestling setup and not some monster of the week like the character design led me to believe.

Nah, it's monster of the week. The pro-wrestling thing doesn't even last the whole first arc.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I could see it being a lot more engaging in anime form since in the manga they basically just jump right to the stock footage without any in-between.

Nah, it's monster of the week. The pro-wrestling thing doesn't even last the whole first arc.

yeah the tournament straight up gets abandoned halfway

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Viz put up the original Saint Seiya manga and I'm reading it for the first time. I gotta admit it's... not very engaging. Everything seems to go like this:

"Oh no! The Princess has been kidnapped. Time to race against time to rescue her before she dies."
"*A scene of someone's head flying off with a blood trail behind it, turns out a page later it was a dream/fake/he was hiding his head in his chest despite us seeing the stream of blood and the head in the helmet."
*replace punches with Ice/Chain/Dragon Punch/Gouging Your Eyes Out by preference.*

Perhaps it picks up but so far it feels like the same three scenes repeated with slight changes. I usually don't mind older stuff so I'm surprised how dull I find it.

Have you tried being latino

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Idk much about pro wrestling but having the childhood friend of the main crew go “guys I’m evil now after my training on HELL QUEEN ISLAND also I brought my crew of black ranger Saints who all have evil versions of your power” is exactly my understanding of how unabashedly dramatic/absurd wrestling tends to get through a Shonen anime filter.

Personally I found it (the anime specifically, but I started reading the manga since I never finished the Netflix run) to be engaging enough because it has no chill whatsoever and just rapidly goes between arcs, but also it seems like something you read/watch at this point because it’s a part of history instead of it holding up like, say, the Sailor Moon anime or DBZ.

But if you’re not enjoying it they also put Kaguya-sama: Love is War on the backlog recently, which is a good excuse to read/reread most of it. :)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Idk much about pro wrestling but having the childhood friend of the main crew go “guys I’m evil now after my training on HELL QUEEN ISLAND also I brought my crew of black ranger Saints who all have evil versions of your power” is exactly my understanding of how unabashedly dramatic/absurd wrestling tends to get through a Shonen anime filter.

Personally I found it (the anime specifically, but I started reading the manga since I never finished the Netflix run) to be engaging enough because it has no chill whatsoever and just rapidly goes between arcs, but also it seems like something you read/watch at this point because it’s a part of history instead of it holding up like, say, the Sailor Moon anime or DBZ.

But if you’re not enjoying it they also put Kaguya-sama: Love is War on the backlog recently, which is a good excuse to read/reread most of it. :)

I figure I should at least give it a shot but yeah I'll probably move onto something else.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Justin_Brett posted:

Well the original opening is a banger at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAruaQmSxpo

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 1, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Pegasus Fantasy is a top 100 anime OP for sure, maybe even top fifty.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’ll never forget the Toonami opening to Saint Seiya.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Kiyomaro owns. I'd missed gash and might reread it this weekend after those sequel chapters

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I’m a couple dozen chapters into it, and I’m still engaged enough to keep reading, but you’re not really wrong. It reminds me a fair amount of Dragon Ball and especially early JoJo, but it has a lot of the weaknesses of both without much of the strengths of either. The art style is mostly a JoJo-style hyper-detailed one except the characters have simplified cartoony faces. There’s all this really dark backstory, but it’s combined with Dragon Ball-style contrived consequence-erasing in the present (another comparison comes to mind here; this is one of the things I don’t really like about One Piece, although it feels more extreme here). The villains are always too conveniently arrogant/honorable/distrustful of each other to properly team up against the heroes.

Actually, the constant fake-outs in fight scenes you mention are another flaw that reminds me of another series, in this case Naruto (it was just a genjutsu/metaphor for killing intent/shadow clone/log!), but again, it’s worse here because Naruto had more of a set of rules for that sort of thing (except for the log thing), and rarely made a fake-out the main centerpiece of the fight the way Saint Seiya often does. Another comparison: using the same structures for fight scenes too often was perhaps Bleach’s biggest flaw.

And now we come to something notoriously present in a lot of shonen manga: easy forgiveness. I don’t really mind in the case of Ikki, perhaps because I couldn’t take his hammy brand of villainy that seriously anyway; I can basically write his behavior off as temporary insanity and move on. But the handling of Sienna is really gross. She manipulated the protagonists into risking their lives for her own and Nobu’s whims more or less continuously since they were 8 years old or so, and outright treated them like slaves for a couple of years before that. And now it looks like they’re going to end up dedicating the rest of their lives to protecting her. It really makes me appreciate Chainsaw Man taking the bold stance that people who behave like that are in fact bad, even if they happen to be attractive women.

And on top of all this, it has this rather exhausting style of pacing, where the plot never really gives the protagonists or the reader the chance to take a breath. To be fair, I guess the writer might have been worried that breather chapters in a monthly series risk the audience losing interest. At least, I assume it was a monthly based on the chapter lengths; maybe it was a weekly series and the chapters were retroactively combined at a rate of 3 to 1 for the volumes? That would also partly explain the pacing issues, I guess.

Now I’ve almost talked myself out of wanting to keep reading after all. Can someone please assure me that it improves?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a manga, not an obligation.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm surprised it's only 114 chapters, from how much it gets talked up I assumed it was way longer. I guess the anime was where the real fandom was?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I’m a couple dozen chapters into it, and I’m still engaged enough to keep reading, but you’re not really wrong. It reminds me a fair amount of Dragon Ball and especially early JoJo, but it has a lot of the weaknesses of both without much of the strengths of either. The art style is mostly a JoJo-style hyper-detailed one except the characters have simplified cartoony faces. There’s all this really dark backstory, but it’s combined with Dragon Ball-style contrived consequence-erasing in the present (another comparison comes to mind here; this is one of the things I don’t really like about One Piece, although it feels more extreme here). The villains are always too conveniently arrogant/honorable/distrustful of each other to properly team up against the heroes.

Actually, the constant fake-outs in fight scenes you mention are another flaw that reminds me of another series, in this case Naruto (it was just a genjutsu/metaphor for killing intent/shadow clone/log!), but again, it’s worse here because Naruto had more of a set of rules for that sort of thing (except for the log thing), and rarely made a fake-out the main centerpiece of the fight the way Saint Seiya often does. Another comparison: using the same structures for fight scenes too often was perhaps Bleach’s biggest flaw.

And now we come to something notoriously present in a lot of shonen manga: easy forgiveness. I don’t really mind in the case of Ikki, perhaps because I couldn’t take his hammy brand of villainy that seriously anyway; I can basically write his behavior off as temporary insanity and move on. But the handling of Sienna is really gross. She manipulated the protagonists into risking their lives for her own and Nobu’s whims more or less continuously since they were 8 years old or so, and outright treated them like slaves for a couple of years before that. And now it looks like they’re going to end up dedicating the rest of their lives to protecting her. It really makes me appreciate Chainsaw Man taking the bold stance that people who behave like that are in fact bad, even if they happen to be attractive women.

And on top of all this, it has this rather exhausting style of pacing, where the plot never really gives the protagonists or the reader the chance to take a breath. To be fair, I guess the writer might have been worried that breather chapters in a monthly series risk the audience losing interest. At least, I assume it was a monthly based on the chapter lengths; maybe it was a weekly series and the chapters were retroactively combined at a rate of 3 to 1 for the volumes? That would also partly explain the pacing issues, I guess.

Now I’ve almost talked myself out of wanting to keep reading after all. Can someone please assure me that it improves?

I watched a lot of the anime before they took it off Netflix and it doesn’t really “improve”, but imho one of the only charming parts of the series besides how unabashedly concentrated shonen it is that it has no idea what the gently caress “pacing” is so maybe you should get off Kurumada’s Wild Ride while the getting’s good?

Edit:

Pierson posted:

I'm surprised it's only 114 chapters, from how much it gets talked up I assumed it was way longer. I guess the anime was where the real fandom was?

It’s “only” 113 because each chapter’s like 35 pages, so closer to a respectable 228 if you compare it to a proper weekly series.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 3, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Trigun Stampede trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=AzZYXqUdp5o

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I guess it looks fine for a cg show but it still feels like I'm watching some mid budget jrpg cutscene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I'm all for having a new spin on old material, but I do hope Tsuneo Imahori does some music for this version.