Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
West Virginia vs EPA out, 6-3 decision.

Yuck

edit: EPA can't regulate carbon Dioxide. Also as I read it, it seems that Chevron deference is dead too. I'm not a lawyer so I might be wrong on that part.
edit2: More i read it, the more it looks like they gave Chevron a good punch in the guts, but they didn't pull a knife and rip the guts out.

edit3: Wrong fuckin' thread!

Cimber fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chevron wasn't specified. It's a narrow reading of a policy that was actually not in effect. It's bad but could have been worse

E: they'll go after Chevron and the administrative state next term. This term they got rid of Roe, Miranda rights, and possibly the notion of substantive due process. That's a good haul for Republicans and the Dems that implicitly support them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shageletic posted:

Chevron wasn't specified. It's a narrow reading of a policy that was actually not in effect. It's bad but could have been worse

E: they'll go after Chevron and the administrative state next term. This term they got rid of Roe, Miranda rights, and possibly the notion of substantive due process. That's a good haul for Republicans and the Dems that implicitly support them.

I would say Dems support those things explicitly but not implicitly or functionally, but yeah

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Randalor posted:

It's a small detail of a small part of the overall story that she was told second-hand that they can :actually: about while ignoring the fact that the vehicle that he was in wasn't the one they are trying to :actually: about, and they think this proves that she's just a lying Lier Mclier who should be hung up like that cowardly Mike Pence (who was going to be hung up by the dastardly Antifa).

I also never get why the MAGA's never put together that it's always, ALWAYS, the other people who are liars and losers but never the person at the center of it all. So may people in his orbit were at one time very brilliant minds and terrific people but the second one calls Trump out on his bullshit, that person is now a lying loser that Donald barely knew and never trusted, etc.

It's the whole if you think everyone else in the room is an rear end in a top hat then you're the rear end in a top hat thing.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I also never get why the MAGA's never put together that it's always, ALWAYS, the other people who are liars and losers but never the person at the center of it all. So may people in his orbit were at one time very brilliant minds and terrific people but the second one calls Trump out on his bullshit, that person is now a lying loser that Donald barely knew and never trusted, etc.

It's the whole if you think everyone else in the room is an rear end in a top hat then you're the rear end in a top hat thing.

Oh, I'm sure they know that it's all Donald, but they idolize him as the Ur-Douchbag.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

That's not a bug its a feature. They want to be able to do the exact same thing and worship him as successfully gaslighting and conning all the marks (except them, or course, because they see through it, they're part of the grift/plot/con).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

kartikeya posted:

10% of Republicans that actually admit they're Republicans thinking Trump should be criminally charged is wild.

Also lol, half the country following the hearings, and 40% actually watching. Twitter keeps telling me no one cares tho.

Edit: honestly, I think Trump's sensationalism is actively working against him if these numbers are accurate. People absolutely care about Jan 6th, but they care a whole lot more about the aggressive cheetoh that spent four years occupying every inch of national attention that he could ever single day. He makes himself nigh impossible to ignore, and even now he will not stfu, it's just he has less of a direct audience. He's a tabloid headline come to life, a scandal factory sitting at the very center of a plot to overthrow the government. It can't possibly be helping that his supporters keep flailing around talking about a story where Trump tried to grab a steering wheel and then physically attacked one of his security detail; regardless of them saying it definitely didn't happen and here's the diagram to prove it, anyone who hears that who hadn't already heard it is probably going to be at least a little curious.

twitter is full of chuds and doomer/nihlists who spend time moving goal posts so they can feel bad and blame everyone but the loving chuds for everything bad happening.

Cimber posted:

West Virginia vs EPA out, 6-3 decision.

Yuck

edit: EPA can't regulate carbon Dioxide. Also as I read it, it seems that Chevron deference is dead too. I'm not a lawyer so I might be wrong on that part.
edit2: More i read it, the more it looks like they gave Chevron a good punch in the guts, but they didn't pull a knife and rip the guts out.

edit3: Wrong fuckin' thread!

yeah basically its bad but not fatal because its a stupidly narrow reading that can be redone by probably rewriting the laws/EPA stuff better at some point to strenthen the EPA again.

https://twitter.com/gilbeaq/status/1542509969114664960
https://twitter.com/gilbeaq/status/1542510413782274053

not good but could be way worse. they will wait for another case to do more damage probably.

Silly Burrito posted:

This?

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/us-law-week/mcgahn-was-right-real-lawyers-take-notes

The Mueller report is full of lawyers doing lawyerly things (and some very unlawyerly things). But no anecdote stands out as a more basic illustration of the role of an attorney as Don McGahn’s exchange with President Donald Trump over—note-taking.

During his conversations with Trump, White House lawyer Don McGahn, reportedly took notes. At one point, Trump asked him, “What about these notes? Why do you take notes? Lawyers don’t take notes. I never had a lawyer who took notes.”

McGahn, who is now back at his old law firm Jones Day as a partner, responded that he took notes because he is a “real lawyer.” The president pushed back, saying that “I’ve had a lot of great lawyers, like Roy Cohn. He did not take notes.”

yeah, trump wants wise guy lawyers and shithead lawyers from 80s movies because he is broke brained that way.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Randalor posted:

It's a small detail of a small part of the overall story that she was told second-hand that they can :actually: about while ignoring the fact that the vehicle that he was in wasn't the one they are trying to :actually: about, and they think this proves that she's just a lying Lier Mclier who should be hung up like that cowardly Mike Pence (who was going to be hung up by the dastardly Antifa).

Again she's a woman. That's literally all they need to discredit her with minimum effort.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

twitter is full of chuds and doomer/nihlists who spend time moving goal posts so they can feel bad and blame everyone but the loving chuds for everything bad happening.

yeah basically its bad but not fatal because its a stupidly narrow reading that can be redone by probably rewriting the laws/EPA stuff better at some point to strenthen the EPA again.

Yes, our famously functional and detail-oriented legislature will surely rise to the challenge.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
So, being that it's the 30th, I was looking for the original source of where the "indictment announcement by the 30th" came from, can anyone help? I found this newsweek piece:

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-may-charged-trying-overthrow-election-end-month-1714783

quote:

Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis told the Associated Press that she expects to come to a decision on whether her office will charge the former president by June 30 for allegedly attempting to overthrow the results in Georgia.
"I certainly think that in the first half of the year that decision will be made," Willis said in January.

That seems to be referencing this AP piece:
https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-crime-donald-trump-elections-georgia-5f716d5b834829e708069233e34e6d38

quote:

“I believe in 2022 a decision will be made in that case,” Willis said. “I certainly think that in the first half of the year that decisions will be made.”
But Willis told the AP that she hasn’t imposed deadlines on her staff and has urged them to be thorough in their examination.

Is that all this is? A vague quote from January that she'd probably decide roughly in the first half of the year, and then people took an official announcement of June 30th as a planned hard deadline? And kept repeating it from then?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

XboxPants posted:

So, being that it's the 30th, I was looking for the original source of where the "indictment announcement by the 30th" came from, can anyone help? I found this newsweek piece:

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-may-charged-trying-overthrow-election-end-month-1714783

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-crime-donald-trump-elections-georgia-5f716d5b834829e708069233e34e6d38

Is that all this is? A vague quote from January that she'd probably decide roughly in the first half of the year, and then people took an official announcement of June 30th as a planned hard deadline? And kept repeating it from then?

That is my understanding, yes. Although as you've found, it's pretty hard to falsify vague rumor that someone said a thing once.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

XboxPants posted:

So, being that it's the 30th, I was looking for the original source of where the "indictment announcement by the 30th" came from, can anyone help?

I presumed this was true as well. After looking into it a bit, I think it is not. Aside from your quote, I think people also saw that grand juries in Georgia last 2 months.... except this isn't a normal grand jury. It is a special grand jury which was authorized by a judge to work for up to 1 year starting May 2nd. The special grand jury also won't indict, they will release a report which the DA can then choose to act on, I guess. And she also apparently said on CNN at one point that there would be a decision before the end of 2022.

So I guess June 30 is bullshit.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

XboxPants posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much all it is, and by now it's an obviously outdated estimate. Brian Kemp (gov.) is scheduled to provide (recorded, prepared) testimony to the grand jury, and...

Atlanta Journal Constitution posted:

Kemp’s sworn examination will take place on July 25.
Source

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 30, 2022

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Well poo poo guys, sorry about that.
I've been really vocal about the 30th because where I read it (and at this time I don't recall, either) I do remember thinking :hmmyes: and didn't assign the usual grain of salt. Without revisiting the source I can't say what made me so confident.

The GA GJ is still going to indict many people on many high crimes. June 30th isn't a requirement for that, and it is definitely coming.

Any wagers on that should be reassessed, I figure.

Remember, today is not just a Friday. It's the Friday before a big holiday week. So if any bombshell news that isn't scheduled already (like the SCOTUS decisions) will most likely drop late in the day to at the last minute.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 30, 2022

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dr. Faustus posted:

Well poo poo guys, sorry about that.
I've been really vocal about the 30th because where I read it (and at this time I don't recall, either) I do remember thinking :hmmyes: and didn't assign the usual grain of salt. Without revisiting the source I can't say what made me so confident.

The GA GJ is still going to indict many people on many high crimes. June 30th isn't a requirement for that, and it is definitely coming.

Any wagers on that should be reassessed, I figure.

Remember, today is not just a Friday. It's the Friday before a big holiday week. So if any bombshell news that isn't scheduled already (like the SCOTUS decisions) will most likely drop late in the day to at the last minute.

It's Thursday, doc.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mdemone posted:

It's Thursday, doc.

That's probably the least inaccurate thing in the whole post. And I'm starting to think he's not a real doctor

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Selling your soul to the devil is hard work. Give him a break.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rigel posted:

I presumed this was true as well. After looking into it a bit, I think it is not. Aside from your quote, I think people also saw that grand juries in Georgia last 2 months.... except this isn't a normal grand jury. It is a special grand jury which was authorized by a judge to work for up to 1 year starting May 2nd. The special grand jury also won't indict, they will release a report which the DA can then choose to act on, I guess. And she also apparently said on CNN at one point that there would be a decision before the end of 2022.

So I guess June 30 is bullshit.

This deadline time stuff for indictments coming down isn't that far off from QAnon

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

It's Thursday, doc.
I haven't been sleeping. I've been to bed four times in the last 48 hours. I honestly thought it was Friday already.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Dr. Faustus posted:

I haven't been sleeping. I've been to bed four times in the last 48 hours. I honestly thought it was Friday already.

That would be twice as many times as most people.

Yeah, hoss, you should probably just chill for a bit. I think you’re extra crispy burnt out.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
For some reason I can't get more than three hours at a time. I keep trying to get a decent stretch but I bounce off the bed.

Got another job interview @ 16:00. At least now I know what day it is.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

I think the problem is the news is moving so fast that paying attention to it all the time somehow feels productive. It isn't.

At the moment I've found reading Stephen King books to be quite relaxing.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Any joy I might have felt at the prospect of a mattering happening turned to ashes in the face of our shiny new theo-fascist SCOTUS. They are destroying in just one year stuff that took my whole loving life to happen and I don't see any mechanism through which it can be stopped.

Plus being jobless I have no reason to keep a schedule and it's gotten bad in the last two weeks. I was up by 7am every day up until just recently, after my new band fell through.

The job interview went really well, going to talk about the in-person interview next Tues. Good money, good benefits, good hours. Fingers crossed.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Someone just make Bernie Sanders Dictator Supreme and at least for whatever 5-10 years he has in life there’ll be some progress to good things

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Gatts posted:

Someone just make Bernie Sanders Dictator Supreme and at least for whatever 5-10 years he has in life there’ll be some progress to good things

Honestly if I have to have a Dictator Supreme, it might as well be Bernie.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

Any joy I might have felt at the prospect of a mattering happening turned to ashes in the face of our shiny new theo-fascist SCOTUS. They are destroying in just one year stuff that took my whole loving life to happen and I don't see any mechanism through which it can be stopped.

Plus being jobless I have no reason to keep a schedule and it's gotten bad in the last two weeks. I was up by 7am every day up until just recently, after my new band fell through.

The job interview went really well, going to talk about the in-person interview next Tues. Good money, good benefits, good hours. Fingers crossed.

For godsake I looked over your posts you need to disconnect from politics, it's obviously not good for you. Just stay away from it!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dr. Faustus posted:

yeah, like you should probably take a break from this poo poo. i know my job(ok pay but poo poo hours) helped mixed with just hobbies and poo poo have helped a bunch. also just volunteer for political poo poo you like too. it helps.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The instant clicking on a long running politics thread sparks dread rather than joy in your heart, you should unbookmark it.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

sebmojo posted:

The instant clicking on a long running politics thread sparks dread rather than joy in your heart, you should unbookmark it.
But politics or not that's every thread. :ohdear:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

But politics or not that's every thread. :ohdear:

Then u know what you must do :hai:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Then u know what you must do :hai:

:hmmyes:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420790

edit: or anything that's not real, to be honest.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

What if it's kind of a... schadenfreude situation most of the time?

That said the last testimony did unironically spark joy.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Do we know when the next J6 hearing is?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Nothing has been officially scheduled.

I'm going to go shopping and get my gf her prescription. While I am out I politely request a 6er and I'll catch you cool kids on the other side. Is that ok?

Peace.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

T.C. posted:

The search warrant is a weird one, because it was potentially issued to the DoJ Inspector General based on direction in the warrant that the phone be sent to an office of the inspector general facility. That means that Eastman may nbot be the subject of the investigation used to justify the search warrant. The jurisdiction of the Inspector General is stuff that was done by people working at the DoJ, which Eastman has never been. So the speculation is that the target is Jeffrey Clark or someone else in the department.

That isn't to say that the findings can't be shared with other investigations that the DoJ has ongoing, but their probable cause would have to have convinced a judge that Eastman has evidence that could prove wrongdoing by someone in the DoJ.

This is based on what the people on the Opening Arguments and Cleanup on Aisle 45 people have said.

Yes, I’m aware that it originated from the IG office. I’m not sure that makes any real difference though.

The only reason the DoJ IG would want evidence of crimes from Eastman is if they are following back from Clark to who originated the conspiracy. Since it’s a conspiracy that involves senior DoJ officials they can investigate it out to all parties. They’ll collect the evidence and then hand it off to a different branch to make the indictments. If they just cared about Clark and a few other shitheads at DoJ they wouldn’t need Eastman to make their case.

I think the reason the IGs office is there now is because they started their investigation on the corruption in the DoJ on Jan 25 2021 while the main criminal group was focused on the rioters. They’ve already been investigating the leadership aspects so handing that off to a different group doesn’t make a lot of sense as it would mean a whole new group getting spin up on all the things they’ve e already done and learned.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dr. Faustus posted:

Nothing has been officially scheduled.

I'm going to go shopping and get my gf her prescription. While I am out I politely request a 6er and I'll catch you cool kids on the other side. Is that ok?

Peace.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

i gave you 18 hours, the cool kid probe length, if you really need back after six gimme a pm.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Meadows confirmed to be one of the redacted names in the witness intimidation quotes.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1542682111685136385

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Silly Burrito posted:

Honestly if I have to have a Dictator Supreme, it might as well be Bernie.

My man, Vermin Supreme was right there!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Meadows confirmed to be one of the redacted names in the witness intimidation quotes.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1542682111685136385

So, arrest him for obstruction of congress and witness tampering. Like, sometimes these things don’t need to be investigated for 3 years first. The crime is right there, indict him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Murgos posted:

So, arrest him for obstruction of congress and witness tampering. Like, sometimes these things don’t need to be investigated for 3 years first. The crime is right there, indict him.

That wouldn't make it Meadows sending the message - it's from someone saying they heard from Meadows about the deposition.

It could be that it's being done on his behalf, but it seems like less of a slam dunk.