Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1542524612814053377?s=20&t=1lEKjFsi6WK5WJ_bpzGuBQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Seeing all these libs wanting 12 justices for ‘better representation’ just in case you wonder why President Trump suddenly appoints 3 more justices when he comes back.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

DO SOMETHING

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
100 justices put me on the Supreme Court I'm ready coach

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

PostNouveau posted:

100 justices put me on the Supreme Court I'm ready coach

make everyone a Supreme Court justice

every adult citizen

Morbus
May 18, 2004

actionjackson posted:

"crisis of the day" lmfao

these politicians, always looking only so far as the next election, on the planet of the day

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Truniht posted:

lol they’re just trying to nakedly grab power now

Trying?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

The idea is that they can only ignore the state courts for this particular issue. also this wouldn't imply that the supreme court couldn't overrule the state legislature, only the state courts

Since voting is handled by the state almost entirely this would mean that the legislature can do whatever it wants and there's zero recourse

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Just as God intended

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

Morbus posted:

DO SOMETHING

They're doin Kamala dirty

https://twitter.com/gzornick/status/1542502059584487424?s=20&t=KlLzNvkYmjFj58BVrmPyjA

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

As well they should. I enjoy what a punching bag she is in the administration, it's one of the few things I like about it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Once the right wing gains control of a state legislature, this court finds they have an inalienable right to retain that control indefinitely though whatever means they see fit. This is Originalism.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

hey now we have til next summer til the ruling's released

Comedy option since cases start being heard around October is they already have the decision made after that, it’s leaked in November after the Dems are clobbered in midterms, and we have to sit around for seven months knowing about it before it’s made official

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

they know they cant abolish the filibuster

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Since voting is handled by the state almost entirely this would mean that the legislature can do whatever it wants and there's zero recourse

yes

article 1 section 4 says

quote:

The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing [sic] Senators.

the supreme court will say that this says that the legislature can decide how to hold elections, and that it doesn't say that the legislature can decide how to hold elections as long as the state court says it's ok

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Shear Modulus posted:

the liberals i guess say that the court can't issue illegitimate rulings because whatever the supreme court says is correct because the supreme court said it

so libs view the Supreme Court as an infallible pope with a direct line to god the founding fathers

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

Mr. Lobe posted:

As well they should. I enjoy what a punching bag she is in the administration, it's one of the few things I like about it.

one of these days they're gonna let her kick the football

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1542569323390189568?s=20&t=N17_xyhQuXs_dAQ_r4yaMg

Just the smartest people running the country.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Relentlessboredomm posted:

so libs view the Supreme Court as an infallible pope with a direct line to god the founding fathers

more or less, yes, except technically the entity that takes the role of god here is the constitution, not the founders. the role the founders play for people like clarence thomas is that they were the constitutional clergy even before the court, and when they descended from the mountain with the constitution written on clay tablets they had the best idea of what it meant.

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 19:33 on Jun 30, 2022

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

one of these days they're gonna let her kick the football

Yeah, if Joe kicks the bucket

Oh wait that's right he's the president so they are going to keep him animated through the darkest sciences money can buy. Tough luck Kamala!

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Shear Modulus posted:

more or less, yes, except technically the entity that takes the role of god here is the constitution, not the founders. the role the founders play for people like clarence thomas is that they were the constitutional clergy even before the court, and when they descended from the mountain with the constitution written on clay tablets they had the best idea of what it meant.

doesn't the fact that the Supreme Court was virtually meaningless during the entire lifetime of the founders and in the succeeding generation sorta imply that they also didn't intend for the Supreme Court to have any meaningful power

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1542569778858139650

They know he wasn't even making the claim they were suggesting, this is clickbait that destroys knowledge

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

doesn't the fact that the Supreme Court was virtually meaningless during the entire lifetime of the founders and in the succeeding generation sorta imply that they also didn't intend for the Supreme Court to have any meaningful power

no

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I love how Biden calls to end the filibuster on June 30th 2022 right when election season kicks into overdrive and dems will be a minority by years end. How convenient after staying mum for the 2 years he had a majority

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

technically, the answer isn't "no," it's "you don't have standing to ask that"

speng31b
May 8, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

make everyone a Supreme Court justice

every adult citizen

i've been sayin this

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
it's bullshit that we're all held hostage by a power the court gave itself imo

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

christmas boots posted:

Good news! We're actually held hostage by an entire fake government that only exists to advance the interests of the rich

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

theres essentially nothing stopping a chud government deciding the supreme court is now an iranian-style supreme religious governing body, there's no requirement supreme court justices need experience practicing law, they could be pastors for all it matters

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Hatebag posted:

Good news! We're actually held hostage by an entire fake government that only exists to advance the interests of the rich

oh well that's ok then

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I wouldn’t say the EPA will make things better but the world is going to end even faster now.

Thank god

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, basically, the Supreme Court can rule that states can just flat out ignore election results next year.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Covok posted:

So, basically, the Supreme Court can rule that states can just flat out ignore election results next year.

In a country with more of a spine this would be a constitutional crisis but in America, I have a suspicion everyone will just grumble but ultimately accommodate

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you like your result, you can keep it.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

christmas boots posted:

Good news is they gave us all more access to guns

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mr. Lobe posted:

In a country with more of a spine this would be a constitutional crisis but in America, I have a suspicion everyone will just grumble but ultimately accommodate

It will be interesting to see the response of the JUST VOTE crowd when the state goes "no, we're sending faithless electors: the vote doesn't mater anymore. We own the presidency forever."

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the only people who are allowed to guess at the intentions of the founding government are the supreme court and they've declared they get as much power as they want

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Glad that a non zero amount.of members of the highest court of tje land are the IQ equivalent of boomers sharing facebook posts

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

So the supreme court says its the duty of the president to fix the mistakes of the judicial branch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

dxt posted:

So the supreme court says its the duty of the president to fix the mistakes of the judicial branch.
the department of justice is actually under the executive branch

makes sense to me

anyways they are 100% correct that the president has power to fix it, its the executives mistake, why doesnt he? oh right, dems dont actually want to govern.