Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Jhet posted:

Those are really neat looking. But your church sure has different services than I've ever seen if they do colonoscopy prep. $19 for those cute little pots without the plants is a good deal.

Lol that's a thread joke. PBUC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It’s so hot and so dry that even my zinnias are wilting and they never wilt

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I think we're trapped on the wrong side of a polar vortex this year. Not broken 22C where I live this year. 13-14C last night with rain and same today.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
My Italian Honey Fig tree, planted a few months ago (young, nursery-potted, with some growth at the top), has started to sprout little green buds all along the bottom 1 foot or so. Should I be nipping these? My gut tells me Yes, but I want to make sure I'm not making a mistake.

Sorry, I didn't realize how blurry these pictures were when I took them, but I think you get the idea.

(P.S. - I normally try not to stake, but this one is having a lot of trouble keeping its head up. I think the growth at the top is just a bit more vigorous than it was prepared for. I plan to remove the stakes whenever it's possible without the plant drooping.)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Our Stachyurus praecox did not survive the spring, not even with a bag over it during the late, hard frosts. :( It put out little leaves which promptly wilted. I had great hopes for it, even knowing that putting it in 6B was pushing it. Now I need something else to go in front of a fence between two big conifers...

Also, does anyone know what's up with cyclamen? My vigorous bloomer finally cooled it with the flowers a couple weeks back, and its leaves began to yellow. Some research led me to believe that the winter-blooming cyclamen does this at the start of summer, when it's ready to go into its dormant phase, and I should put it in a cooler, darker place and stop watering it. (I've been waiting to repot it, too, and this is a good time for that). I am not to water or fertilize again until it starts putting up new leaves. So I put it in my north-facing library with very little light and have left it alone for a while...and it's putting up new leaves among all the yellow. Nice ones, reaching very tall on long stems. Do I assume it was June's heat that was yellowing its leaves and start watering it again, maybe leaving it in its new, less harsh environment (compared to a western windowsill)?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sir Lemming posted:

My Italian Honey Fig tree, planted a few months ago (young, nursery-potted, with some growth at the top), has started to sprout little green buds all along the bottom 1 foot or so. Should I be nipping these? My gut tells me Yes, but I want to make sure I'm not making a mistake.

Sorry, I didn't realize how blurry these pictures were when I took them, but I think you get the idea.

(P.S. - I normally try not to stake, but this one is having a lot of trouble keeping its head up. I think the growth at the top is just a bit more vigorous than it was prepared for. I plan to remove the stakes whenever it's possible without the plant drooping.)
Rub them off just because you don't want branches there. There's a good chance they're coming from below the graft (can't see for sure where the graft is), in which they definitely should go, but even if they're above the graft they aren't where you want the new growth to be.

I have a soil question. I have two hydrangeas that need acid soil to bloom the right color. I want to plant European violet, viola odorata, with them in the pot. How do I figure out whether a normal plant can thrive in an acid environment?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Rub them off just because you don't want branches there. There's a good chance they're coming from below the graft (can't see for sure where the graft is), in which they definitely should go, but even if they're above the graft they aren't where you want the new growth to be.

I have a soil question. I have two hydrangeas that need acid soil to bloom the right color. I want to plant European violet, viola odorata, with them in the pot. How do I figure out whether a normal plant can thrive in an acid environment?

Just bury them in a pot with their own soil if you're really worried. I have tons of plants next to my hydrageas and acid loving plants and nothing really seems to have that much of a problem in the ground. Just don't put the acid fertilizer on the violets? Those violets never seemed particularly picky to me and I had them growing all over the place in my last garden, because they spread or something from the previous gardener. I'd guess they'd be fine as long as you don't dump acid on their roots.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Here's what I did with those Costco succccs:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have this monstera thing a friend gave me and it has some yellowing leaves:

I've had it maybe 9 months and never done anything but water it, maybe every 2 weeks I stick it in the sink and water it really well. Are the yellow leaves just normal shedding of old leaves? They do seem to be mostly in the older part of the plant. Should I repot with some indoor potting mix? or fertilize? Is there a good indoor potting mix or fertilizer for monstera?

I'm terrible with house plants.

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've had it maybe 9 months and never done anything but water it, maybe every 2 weeks I stick it in the sink and water it really well. Are the yellow leaves just normal shedding of old leaves? They do seem to be mostly in the older part of the plant. Should I repot with some indoor potting mix? or fertilize? Is there a good indoor potting mix or fertilizer for monstera?

The Swiss Cheese is one of my favorite houseplants! I have also gifted many of this one's babies to friends and family.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vpeDiz4

I only notice yellowing on shedding leaves or if it's been over-watered. Go with a well draining potting mix (I like the cactus/palm mixes) and if it's looking ready for a re-pot, I say go for it! For fertilizer, I am a simpleton and use the standard miracle grow in either the hose-spray or the sticks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

tbh it looks like shedding. I wouldn’t fret too much unless you started to see more leaves going in relatively quick succession. Is the plant in a particularly muggy or shady/dark or poorly ventilated place? Those three traits (like you’d see if you watered a plant and then put it in a dark unventilated room during a 95 degree weekend) will foster bacterial/fungal growth and promote infection and possible rot.

In the summer you might want to up the watering frequency to weekly.

Also, I’d encourage staking up the vine(s). Monsteras are almost all climbing species. You’ll be rewarded with a healthier, stronger plant, and the height will encourage the plant to make bigger leaves.

In the wild these things grow up the sides of trees, so the taller they get and the higher up their leaves are relative to the root base on the ground, the bigger they get (ie, the taller the vine and stake, the bigger the leaves).

Conversely, letting a monstera vine hang down, like in a hanging basket, will tell it that it’s pointing downward on a tree and induce it to make its leaves progressively smaller and smaller.

A good stake for one of these can be anything from a moss pole that you keep moist and wet to a $2 wooden pole from the plant section of Home Depot/etc, to multiple poles that you snake the vines around. You can go really short or really tall.

Really just Google “staked monstera”/“staking monstera”/“staked pothos”/“staking tropical vines”/“staked philodendron”/etc for aesthetic ideas.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thanks for the info, especially about staking! I had thought it would be perfectly happy trailing down but that makes sense. I'll figure out some sort of staking situation.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Thanks for the info, especially about staking! I had thought it would be perfectly happy trailing down but that makes sense. I'll figure out some sort of staking situation.

I mean, at the size it currently is it’ll probably be happy for a while, but eventually it’ll get sparse and start dropping more leaves.

I have a big one that I bought in 2020 and let hang and trail and eventually I had to cut off a bunch of bare vine that wouldn’t grow foliage and wouldn’t easily root

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Is this the place to ask about fruit trees or would the gardening thread be more appropriate?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Canadian Bakin posted:

Is this the place to ask about fruit trees or would the gardening thread be more appropriate?

Probably this thread? The gardening thread is usually more about growing annual crops for eating.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Canadian Bakin posted:

:justpost:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I bought a streptocarpus from Logee's and can't find African violet soil anywhere local -- apparently they're out of style, though they were ubiquitous in my childhood. Anyway, in desperation, I used some cactus soil I had lying around and mixed in sphagnum moss. This drains waaay too fast for the poor sad streptocarpus, I'm having to water daily, and the plant is unhappy. It's time for mail order.

Anybody got a favorite brand? I would order from violetbarn.com, but they're across the continent from me and charge $35/bag.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’m so pissed—I’m like 2 for 10 on big prebonsai steals that I scope out, agonize over—sometimes for weeks—and then they get bought out from under me.

I was looking at these Japanese black pines since like the middle of May, biding my time but finding $150/pop too dear. Finally they go on end-of-season sale and some equally crazy SOB is there at six in the morning with a pickup to grab them.

Japanese red pine: I gotta settle for one with an inferior lumpy trunk, because the two I set out last night to grab this morning—also sold.

White pines, all of them sold.

I’ve been hacked. All my trees are gone.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 30, 2022

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Try tulips. I hear they're more stable

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I bought a streptocarpus from Logee's and can't find African violet soil anywhere local -- apparently they're out of style, though they were ubiquitous in my childhood. Anyway, in desperation, I used some cactus soil I had lying around and mixed in sphagnum moss. This drains waaay too fast for the poor sad streptocarpus, I'm having to water daily, and the plant is unhappy. It's time for mail order.

Anybody got a favorite brand? I would order from violetbarn.com, but they're across the continent from me and charge $35/bag.

I didn't realize people use any sort of specialized soil for African violets? The one I have at home and the one my office mate keeps in our office are each in their original big box store soils that look like almost entirely peat with just a spoonful of perlite. Mine came in a pot with no drainage, and my office mate keeps his soggy daily to a point of fungus gnats, so they seem pretty darn tolerant? They're both thriving and flowering. I have no experience with streptocarpus so they could be different but I find it hard to believe "African violet soil" is really needed for African violets.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Lakitu7 posted:

I didn't realize people use any sort of specialized soil for African violets? The one I have at home and the one my office mate keeps in our office are each in their original big box store soils that look like almost entirely peat with just a spoonful of perlite. Mine came in a pot with no drainage, and my office mate keeps his soggy daily to a point of fungus gnats, so they seem pretty darn tolerant? They're both thriving and flowering. I have no experience with streptocarpus so they could be different but I find it hard to believe "African violet soil" is really needed for African violets.
"Almost entirely peat with a spoonful of perlite" IS African violet soil, or at least what it looks like. And this isn't an African violet, it's a streptocarpus, which is more delicate with regard to its watering and drainage requirements.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
What is this thing and how do I make it love me? I got it for about £1 from the super market about 8 months ago in quite a sorry state.
It’s currently in some very free draining soil that’s probably good for succulents and cacti

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
For as common as they are, “expert” care instructions for African violets is hard to find. All the stuff I’ve found is basic like “water from below!” and “don’t grow in direct sunlight!”

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

the fart question posted:

What is this thing and how do I make it love me? I got it for about £1 from the super market about 8 months ago in quite a sorry state.
It’s currently in some very free draining soil that’s probably good for succulents and cacti

No idea what it is but you’re doing ok if it’s made it 8 months ! Have you fertilized? If not, try administering 1/2 strength of whatever you’ve got and watch it grow

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

For as common as they are, “expert” care instructions for African violets is hard to find. All the stuff I’ve found is basic like “water from below!” and “don’t grow in direct sunlight!”

Pretty sure I just killed the streptocarpus by overwatering yesterday; dramatic loss of leaves. Will probably replace with an African violet.

African violet care.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

It's a Croton. Very beautiful, like lots of sun. It will probably do fine in that medium, it's good at letting you know when it needs water.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

croton, cultivar “Mamey”.

They like being outside in the summer, inside in the fall and winter. Also they’re very sensitive to big negative shifts in environment and will commonly drop their leaves if upset, especially if underwatered or cold. Otherwise pretty easy to keep alive.

A plant that drops all its leaves will still likely survive and throw out new foliage if cared for, but usually at apexes, meaning that you can still ruin the look of a plant if you get it to drop its leaves (if they’ve been in the sun for a few weeks they’ll usually start to bud further back too, but only after the apexes have budded). Takes pruning decently well, which can be a solution to bare branches.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"Almost entirely peat with a spoonful of perlite" IS African violet soil, or at least what it looks like. And this isn't an African violet, it's a streptocarpus, which is more delicate with regard to its watering and drainage requirements.

Yeah, but most big-brand commercial potting soil is also "almost entire peat with a spoonful of perlite" (plus a bunch of fertilizers), isn't it? So, I'm confused what would be different about African Violet Soil other than an inflated price?

When I've needed more drainage in stuff I just take my regular potting soil and add in much more perlite, and for the real succulent/cactus stuff I add chick grit (crushed granite) and that's done well for me. Aroids get a handful of "orchid bark" thrown in too.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Pretty sure I just killed the streptocarpus by overwatering yesterday; dramatic loss of leaves. Will probably replace with an African violet.

Wow, that was quick! :rip: From what I've seen AV's are pretty drat forgiving; they only flower in mid-bright light, but even in low + soggy they still push out leaves and survive.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 30, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my zanzibar has been on my patio all the time now as suggested (I live in Minneapolis, SW facing patio, it's far back enough that it never gets direct sunlight). when indoors it only needs water once a month, but I have to water it more like, every three weeks now as expected. But are the roots supposed to be this really dark green color?

I'm pretty sure it's growing as the new one on the left only showed up after being outdoors for a while.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Lakitu7 posted:

Yeah, but most big-brand commercial potting soil is also "almost entire peat with a spoonful of perlite" (plus a bunch of fertilizers), isn't it? So, I'm confused what would be different about African Violet Soil other than an inflated price?
Huh. The "potting soil" (so labeled) I buy and use outdoors in containers is way, way heavier, and has a lot more humus, than a combo of peat and perlite.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Ok Comboomer posted:

croton, cultivar “Mamey”.

They like being outside in the summer, inside in the fall and winter. Also they’re very sensitive to big negative shifts in environment and will commonly drop their leaves if upset, especially if underwatered or cold. Otherwise pretty easy to keep alive.

A plant that drops all its leaves will still likely survive and throw out new foliage if cared for, but usually at apexes, meaning that you can still ruin the look of a plant if you get it to drop its leaves (if they’ve been in the sun for a few weeks they’ll usually start to bud further back too, but only after the apexes have budded). Takes pruning decently well, which can be a solution to bare branches.

awesome thank! Yeah I'd noticed the underwatering signs, its leave droop pretty badly, then perk right up when watered

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.

So I've got these two cherry trees in my yard that are just going nuts and I'm wondering if I'm supposed to be thinning the fruit out at all.

As well, there's a plum tree that has barely any fruit but we're willing to bet that it's got twice the leaves as last year, very heavy green growth and the center of the tree is rather dark. Am I correct in guessing that the way to get it to produce more fruit next year is pruning back the little fresh sprouting branches and getting more light into the tree?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

African violet care.

Ok that’s actually pretty good, thank you for sharing. But still ... rose and orchids have entire books written bout them. Where’s the love for the humble African violet!?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
To be fair, western civilization only "discovered" African Violets in 1892, vs humans have been accumulating knowledge about roses and orchids since antiquity.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Canadian Bakin posted:

As well, there's a plum tree that has barely any fruit but we're willing to bet that it's got twice the leaves as last year, very heavy green growth and the center of the tree is rather dark. Am I correct in guessing that the way to get it to produce more fruit next year is pruning back the little fresh sprouting branches and getting more light into the tree?
The little sprouting branches are what the plum will fruit on next year; don't cut them. Pruning so more light will reach the center is definitely good; there are lots of good guides online. My first guess on why it's not fruiting is that it needs another plum nearby to pollinate. A lot of plums aren't self-fertile. (Some are, of course.) Did you plant the plum yourself, and if so do you remember what variety it was?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Finally got the tree I'd ordered awhile back installed!

However, the crew installing it only removed the burlap from the top of the root ball after they put it in the hole, and there's still a metal basket and burlap wrapped around the rest of the root ball. Is this something I need to dig up around the root ball and see if I can snip it away myself? Or does the burlap eventually decompose and wire cage just not a big deal?

I honestly don't know what I was expecting, but I wish I had just paid for delivery and installed it myself in retrospect

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

Finally got the tree I'd ordered awhile back installed!

However, the crew installing it only removed the burlap from the top of the root ball after they put it in the hole, and there's still a metal basket and burlap wrapped around the rest of the root ball. Is this something I need to dig up around the root ball and see if I can snip it away myself? Or does the burlap eventually decompose and wire cage just not a big deal?

I honestly don't know what I was expecting, but I wish I had just paid for delivery and installed it myself in retrospect
Call them back and demand they do the job properly. The cage and burlap both need to go. Peeling it out around the edges isn't good enough. That's a disgrace.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah make them actually plant your tree. Take pictures and be prepared to be bewildered about what is supposed to be included in transplanting a tree. That's some bullshit

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Let me amplify, so you know why this is so disastrous.

A healthy tree has roots that stretch as wide as its leaf canopy does. If a tree doesn't have roots that stretch that wide, it's going to fall over and die in a windstorm, if not sooner. A tree cannot grow roots through burlap. The wire cage would kill it slower, but the burlap will kill it fast. What those workmen essentially did was plant the tree in a pot made of burlap. Wild oversimplification, but you can think of a tree as being shaped like a dumbbell: the root mass underneath it is as big as the leaf mass aboveground.

Call them, tell them you spent $X00 on a tree, the workmen planted it in a way that will kill it, and you expect the tree to be dug up, freed from both cage and burlap, and replanted at the appropriate height in the soil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Thank you for confirming what I was thinking. I absolutely hate saying hey, your guys hosed this up, but I feel really disappointed that I spent a stupid amount for delivery plus Installation, and even gave them a really good tip only to later find wire poking through when I removed some of the huge first size rocks sitting on top of the soil they backfilled with. Felt around and sure enough there was the wrap too which confirms my suspicions

I was just so excited to get this thing in and now all I feel is dread for the well-being of this tree