Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

theyre just string line thingys I stuck my yellow hats on because I am a dedicated safety officer

You're doing a very good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Pulling the pipes out at (or nearly) ground level? That normal in england? What if it freezes?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not gonna lie, spend a non zero amount of time contemplating your build pretty much each day

NotJustANumber99 posted:

We leave quite a few options in the plant room cos obviously all the plants in here are going to need access to get their roots through

:hmmyes:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

That looks more like a "<" and less like an "L" to me

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

His Divine Shadow posted:

Pulling the pipes out at (or nearly) ground level? That normal in england? What if it freezes?

Fortunately I am shithot so not an issue.

Hmmm, looked through all the approved document and there doesn't seem to be much of anything on waste pipe depth. Certainly the other examples I've followed with beam and block floors like mine have been done the same as me. Building control have also approved everything I've done without complaint so I guess its normal?

Water pipe definitely has to be at 750mm deep to avoid freezing but I guess it doesn't get cold enough here for anyone to care about waste pipe freezing.

my pipes are minimum 460mm below ground level where they exit the footprint of the house btw. But they are essentially exposed under the house in the underfloor void.

fridge corn posted:

That looks more like a "<" and less like an "L" to me

italics L

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 30, 2022

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah climate change might change things for England but they don't freeze an awful lot there, especially if you're living in the south/SW. Being half a meter below ground when not under your house seems fine to this layman of the English countryside and building things.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

We had a foot of snow this winter up here in the frozen north and pipes to our Bio Treatment Plant (a fancy septic tank) did not freeze and I'd guess they are about 2 feet underground...

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Steakandchips posted:

We had a foot of snow this winter up here in the frozen north and pipes to our Bio Treatment Plant (a fancy septic tank) did not freeze and I'd guess they are about 2 feet underground...

We had two mornings of frost in pastyland this winter. We haven't seen snow since the beast from the east

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Time to beam and block this floor off. I have been looking forward to this as it seems a very satisfying lego style construction that any idiot can do. Also its not faffing about in the mud for months.

Here's the plan from earlier if you remember.

We start off with some of the small ones for the garage to get the hang of it. Damp course laid down along supporting stub wall, beams craned in, block length cut piece of wood as a spacer and then repeat sticking in a block either end as you go.

I bought a spacer bar thing off ebay to allow better craning of the long beams.

Yeah, piece of cake really.

The end blocks require a run of engineering bricks laid to support them, which I'll do in a bit.

And then start on the long ones, again its pretty straight forward. House building is piss easy.

oh other brother is here again to help and for a visit or whatever. Its covid so he isn't allowed to stay with us so rents an airbnb round the corner but, as its work, can work on site with us. totally normal.

Oh and the airBnB doesnt allow dogs so I am reunited with my old pal, miss pathetic eyes, who stays with me

How can you resist eh so I give her everything she wants. In repayment, she pisses all over my bed straight away. great.

So we're brining up the beams from the holding area at end of site but the stupid tight access past the fence means we have to carry them up on the digger cantilevered and strapped down to get past.

For pretty much the first time in the build everything is going great and we're making quick progress

Then dog brother steps down off one of the beams badly and fucks up his ankle. Off to the hospital.

Its only a bad sprain but he's out of action, so he's babysitting and my sister in law has to replace him at site.

First wing done! like not done but a bit done

Also buy an eBay cement mixer, this is technically my third cement mixer.

Turn up and the guy is a bit flustered. and in a suit.

Quickly load up and get out of his way. He's an undertaker, quite busy at the moment, and has an emergency funeral or whatever to attend. His cement mixer is immaculate, it won't stay that way.

I'm kind of bending my head about it, but like I've obviously loaded it wrong as all the air is going to go in the barrel as I drive... but like wont it get to the point where there's so much air in there I won't be able to go anymore? I dunno physics, thats why I have a structural engineer to make sure I don't make any foolish building decisions.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You should point the cement mixer straight up so when you drive it goes ooooooooooooooo.

Sorry I'm just realizing, did this all happen last year and you're just giving us the replay now? Or is this happening currently? Thanks for the updates regardless.

e: I'm assuming you were kidding about the mixer but if you're actually curious the air currently inside it would prevent further air from entering, with the small exception that the pressure in it would increase slightly with your speed as a little bit more air would be in that volume. It's the same principle as how pitot tubes work.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 1, 2022

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Loving the beam laying. Good work.

Why not just turn the mixer around so it’s not scooping air? Or just not give a crap because the estate can probably haul something with five times the sailiness of a mixer?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I love this thread.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

You should point the cement mixer straight up so when you drive it goes ooooooooooooooo.

Sorry I'm just realizing, did this all happen last year and you're just giving us the replay now? Or is this happening currently? Thanks for the updates regardless.

e: I'm assuming you were kidding about the mixer but if you're actually curious the air currently inside it would prevent further air from entering, with the small exception that the pressure in it would increase slightly with your speed as a little bit more air would be in that volume. It's the same principle as how pitot tubes work.

yeah in the past a bit. No way I'd be making progress this fast in real time. But I suspect the thread will catch up to me.

I don't joke about cement mixers.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've just today been pointed to this thread. Man, you got hosed over by that structural engineer / piling company mislead at the beginning. RIP your budget :( That poo poo wasn't just belt & braces, it's belt & braces & harness & backup crew.

I would offer to come up and help but presumably you want the project to go faster rather than slower.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Steakandchips posted:

Ours had to be placed at frost free depth, which was nearly 2 meters here.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't joke about cement mixers.

You have labourers for when the mixer breaks down, couple sheets of boarding and shovels, mix the old way.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
One gargled mouthful at a time.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've just today been pointed to this thread. Man, you got hosed over by that structural engineer / piling company mislead at the beginning.

On the plus side, if he ever wants to build an extension vertically, he'll have no issues regarding the foundations not being able to take the load.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

NotJustANumber99 posted:

yeah in the past a bit. No way I'd be making progress this fast in real time. But I suspect the thread will catch up to me.

Don’t tell us where you are in the present - keep it as a surprise

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Please call your house "Iceberg" tia

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

What is the reasoning for the different spacing between the beams?
Edit: Never mind. Interior walls, answered on the first page.
This thread is awesome.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 1, 2022

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

He's got 99 problems but a thread ain't one

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

I would offer to come up and help but presumably you want the project to go faster rather than slower.

Well there's no stairs involved in my project so it does absolutely put it in your wheelhouse...

I hugely covet your van though lol

same back at you though. ever want one too many chefs, I am here for you.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Well there's no stairs involved in my project so it does absolutely put it in your wheelhouse...

I hugely covet your van though lol

same back at you though. ever want one too many chefs, I am here for you.

:mcnally:

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
both of you come and help me knock down my garage. JB bring your van.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

where u live?

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Bath. I refuse to pay for fuel. You can keep as many prefab concrete slabs (may or may not contain asbestos) as you can eat.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

bath more like get hosed

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
What is it the UK thinks 100 miles is a long way and America thinks 100 years is a long time?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah. We don't travel easily.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I think they tried selling the mini back in the 50s or 60s and immediately had to take it off the market because they didn't realize Americans expect to drive their car at 70-80mph for 2-3 hours non stop, every day and it just wasn't built to do that; whereas the island of Britain in the middle narrows down to something like 70 miles at one point

Also tiny windy medieval roads suck for going anywhere faster than walking speed, and everyone is constantly driving on the wrong side of the road sorry not sorry

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Driving to anywhere in the UK is a miserable experience

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I think they tried selling the mini back in the 50s or 60s and immediately had to take it off the market because they didn't realize Americans expect to drive their car at 70-80mph for 2-3 hours non stop, every day and it just wasn't built to do that; whereas the island of Britain in the middle narrows down to something like 70 miles at one point

Also tiny windy medieval roads suck for going anywhere faster than walking speed, and everyone is constantly driving on the wrong side of the road sorry not sorry

i thought your speed limit was 55?

fridge corn posted:

Arriving is usually worse.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i thought your speed limit was 55?

Nope. It's upwards of 70 in some places.

Also, you'll want to be doing at least 65 or 70 on a lot of 55 MPH highways or you'll get run down by traffic.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was in Texas recently and there was a thing on the news about the state wanting to re-sign the stretch of I-10 from San Antonio to El Paso as 85 but didn't have the funding for it. Only about 100 miles have been re-signed from 70 to 85 so far. That stretch of I-10 is flat desert with no settlements beyond a service station every 50 miles or so. Most people are cruising along at closer to 90. Nothing to hit. Even the raised highways that run through the sleepy suburbs are 70. It was 55 from the oil crisis in the 70s through the mid 90s though

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It’s as much that time taken to get anywhere here is wildly inconsistent depending on your start and end point. Most of the roads are concentric and/or spoked around major cities, with only a couple of high speed roads north/south and east/west.

So often you have to drive towards a city and then across to a city near your destination, then away from it. Any direct route will usually be 40 to 60 mph with one lane in each direction.

So I reckon it’d take me 3 hours to get to Gasmask and only a bit less to get to 99.

And that’s like 120 miles as the crow flies.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

fridge corn posted:

On the windy roads in Devon and Cornwall it's really beautiful.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Bath is 219 miles from me and would take just under four hours

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Salisbury Snape posted:

Bath is 219 miles from me and would take just under four hours

not in your landrover, could be days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

On the windy roads in Devon and Cornwall it's really beautiful.

Yes but driving to Devon and Cornwall is miserable. Theres great roads in wales and Scotland too but gently caress getting there