Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Lets travel back in time~~~to 2019

Hello, I'm fortunate enough to be building a house. I've bought a lovely little plot of land, maybe an acre or two, in the centre of a little English village.
There's planning permission in place, and I've paid for advice from planning to change things a little bit and they're totally positive on my ideas and welcome the application that they've promised me will be passed.
We've estimated the building costs using quite a clever accounting whatnot system and done las Vegas or something algorithms on it, and allowed a six month period to build, during which we'll rent locally.

Its a stable block and (ooh get you)menage. Which I'd never heard of but its like a a horse practice area. full of special sand.

The site has gone through some planning hell, the village is a conservation area, with the owner/seller desperately trying to replace the existing stable block (a shed) with lesser and lesser buildings. Permission is now for a single storey affair restrained by, but not totally to, the stable block's footprint.

Anyway heres some pictures:
existing stable block

proposed floorplan

Proposed elevations

real life pictures

~~~and back to 2022

I'm knee deep in unfinished building and ready to get posting. Perhaps this thread should really be a post-mortem on a moron and their self build. lets go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Eagerly awaiting 3 years of progress posts. :getin:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I'm as interested as you are looking back through the photos, maybe a little less.

So it turns out I inadvertently got in a relationship with a lass at this point and theres certain pictures there I should delete.

yeah so money and stuff hadn't come through yet. i was still living over an hour and a half away from site. But i got a crowbar and started taking my frustrations out, and they were many.

weirdly that first building had a tow bar? I dunno, people said it was a trailer they just cemented into the ground, need timeteam really to figure it out.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

We decided to make it a bit bigger, lose some wasteful stuff etc.

We paid the local planning department to offer pre application advice. They were wholly supportive, said it was no problem, everything we wanted would be handwaved through.

So we applied and paid out money. English heritage who didnt want the house built in the first place reiterate their initial complaints against the original planning, which is we're miserable bastards that hate everything. Apparently this blindsides planning, who we assumed we've bought off. Now we need to go to a planning committee to get the local tory busybody bastards to agree to our changes.

then a little old thing called a coronavirus pandemic comes along... during which committees do not meet...

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Covid is weird

But regardless we crack on, and how.

It didn't feel like I was making much progress demolishing the stable block with my screwdriver and raw anger. But a week with a minidigger makes light work of the remaining structure.

And with the right weapon selected,

the pecking begins

And soon the concrete pad foundations are a pile of future problems further down the site.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

So still not sure whats going on with planning... But bored and got some cash so time to make some wise and intelligent purchases.

Need this for site office/workshop/storage etc.

Neighbour comes out to complain immediately about where we've optimally planned for months to put it meaning it ends up miles away at bottom of site which we won't be able to run power or water to and will end up being a massive ballache. At least its nice inside.

ah.

DIGGA

bought without seeing as we weren't allowed out. Turns up and cannot perform the things we saw on the youtube video. Things like turn corners. So have to drive forward as far as possible. put bucket down to lift up the front wheels. turn front wheels in new direction. lift bucket up. repeat, until you're where you want to be... probably fine

oh and a little toy

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Planning finally goes through, on a zoom call. 14-0 councillors vote us through and question why we've been brought before them. English heritage decline to attend or explain themselves. gently caress sake.

So now we can dig the hole the size we want for the house. We get some quotes for groundworks, much rather have someone else do this and then we'll work off the solid, square base rather than get it wrong at the start and forever be playing catchup.

The floor is going to be beam and block construction and now we know the actual beam of the building we can get all this ordered.

So this is what I think we need roughly:

5.2m beams to sit on supporting walls each 100mm wide with 5000mm span. Suppliers do some calculations about putting together triple beams under internal walls an stuff. Looks good get it ordered.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Difficult to sort out the electrics. We want a 3 phase connection and initially the charge was I think 16k? They aren't very helpful but through a process of elimination managed to get them to agree to a substantial saving by us placing a unit halfway from the road to the house.

Had to buy a special unit of course that was best part of 500 quid. Getting those fat diameter "hockey sticks" was actually the hardest thing.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

We get quotes from various people to dig the groundworks. It feels sensible to let someone that knows what theyre doing sort us out and then how wrong can we get it working from their solid, level base?

The quotes vary in price by a factor of like 10. 60grand top end I seem to remember. hmmm. But none of them see any real issues, bread and butter for them.

We select one of the cheaper guys who we feel like we can work nicely with and make the deal. They'll bring their favoured tame building inspector with them on the day, but basically they'll come and fully dig and pour us the foundations in a weekish.

Up they turn, get things pegged out.

Building inspector turns up and... we're hosed.

cannot dig the strip foundations in this clay soil with the trees nearby etc. No groundworker noticed any of this somehow. Need a structural engineer and soil analysis and yada yada

so all we get is this sample hole dug

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

What was the big digger for if you were using groundworkers for the foundations? Secret L shaped tunnels?

Bookmarked and 5'd, more please.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The big digger is because I wanted one.

But also the site is quite large and the plan was to buy in any and all materials as covid and brexit sent material prices skywards and store them all on the horsey area. Then use the digger as a big forklift to move materials around. The thinking is that I'm incredibly bad at planning and slow as heck so buying and selling on plant will work much better than renting things and getting everything done in a timely and sensible fashion.

Also also plan is for a ground source heat pump which needs I think 400m of metre deep trench dug to lay ground collector pipes in. Digger lets us do this ourselves.

Also also also the house is a good 100m from the highway and need to dig trenches through the only accessway for power/water/sewage/data.

and, again, it means I get a digger.

Its got a 4 in 1 bucket on the front which I think should really have flip over forks. But they were missing. So bought some separate forks on ebay. Heavy fuckers.

So its a bit of a pain in the arse. Rather than just flip the forks over you have to take off the whole front bucket and put on the forks instead. And theres no quick release hydraulics on it so you need a set of spanners and whatnot and put stoppers on. But I'm pretty quick at it now and actually in practice, the visibility is much better than it would be trying to line up the forks with the whole bucket in the way.

Oh also the digger only came with one bucket on the arm. And it wasn't the right one, held on with sellotape. Fortunately moved it on for the price of a different one that actually fitted and have bought two more since. So got 900, 600 and 300mm buckets now. Although the 300 took some editing.

But to do that, needed a trailer which a family member has long term lent me, but also needed a towbar. So got one on ebay and fitted it. Apparently this isn't allowed.

Anyway now I can collect all sorts of things bought of eBay to save a bit more money.

pipes

oil drums so I can bulk buy red diesel to run the digger

aforementioned digger buckets (with free babies)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Structural engineer is a nice lad, offers to send my soil off for analysis but admits its a waste of time. The big elm trees a few metres away and the clay means a strip foundation is all but impossible. He's got a bunch of charts and graphs but it would be like 4.2m deep which is ridiculous, would collapse, cost a fortune to fill with concrete and just no. Another builder lad comes along and derails things for a bit with claims of doing a raft, but disappears when my engineer says we'd need like a mile wide pyramid of gravel underneath it.

Not for the first time in my life I'm told by an expert I'm just going to have to accept its piles.

Sorry I realise people might not know wtf some things are, I probably didn't either at the time? Certainly not fully grok what it meant.

So piles are basically vertically driven or bored steel and or concrete foundations that either find bedrock to support the building on top or are just sufficiently long and embedded in the ground that the frictional forces upon them are sufficient to support the building. So with us the problem is not so much the roots of the trees physically loving about with the foundations but more so that the seasonal difference in the water content of the clay soil will lead to significant shrinkage/swelling of the ground. Our build is very long and thin which will further stress the foundations. With one end amongst the trees whilst the other is out in the open, it means that, as the clay soil retains the water for so long, preventing it from percolating down, during the summer the trees will dry out the soil within their reach much more, thus shrinking it. The ground at one end of the house will fall away and it could snap in half. A more compact square house would suffer far less and a raft foundation would probably work fine.

Does that make sense? I don't really understand either. Apparently cutting the trees down is no good either, you'd have to wait several years for the ground to rebalance itself.

Oh so and on top of the piles you still need basically normal strip foundations but very shallow, reinforced with steel. Ground beams that tie all the stilts together and you build the actual house off of that.
Here's a surprisingly cheap set of structural engineer's drawings for what we need:

I send off for quotes but I havent included a bending schedule and so i need that. It looks like this:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Predictably, piling quotes vary by tens of thousands of pounds. We select a team, a big company, I think really they're more used to much bigger commercial jobs but whatever. But they only do the piles not the ground beams... fine. Ground beams are just foundations anyway I'll get the original groundworkers back in to do that. But the piles need special equipment and knowhow so pay the money and get it done, summers almost over and we haven't even started. We do not want to be doing groundworks in the winter weathers.

Its a done deal. Except theres some small print. We need a toilet and a break room and all sorts of other stuff. And a piling mat? Wtf is that?

Google establishes that a piling mat isn't like a little door mat or something I can get at B&Ms. Its hundreds of tonnes of certified hardcore poured to a depth of a foot over and above the whole site to allow the monster piling rig to come in and not get stuck. And I'm responsible for marking out the 37 piling locations we need to within a 75mm margin of error. Right so I've got like a fortnight to get that done. Oh and afterwards you have to dig it all out again and get rid of it.

Piling is poo poo.

I get back in touch with my trusty groundworks team to see if they're interested in digging out and levelling off a piling mat for me. They are not.

Right. Lucky I bought a big gently caress off digger isn't it?

Less lucky I didn't buy and had to rent, a dumper

A dumpy level

A baby road roller(?)

And a shithouse

Still, a big pile of mud later

And things aren't looking half bad

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ok so thats a nice hole. But it isn't a piling mat. Need a foot of 6F2 recycled hardcore put down over the whole lot. 20 tonnes a time, I think we order 160 tonnes.

I'm hungover and asleep and miss a few calls...

balls.

right, gates open... eurgh get on with it

We end up trying entry both ways

And we're tipping

Its supposed to be mainly recycled concrete but its also a bunch of any old poo poo

trucks go all over, in the hole and whatever, good bunch of lads, they treat our somewhat compromised access and site as good internal competition. But we're all winners really

Right now I've got to use the digger's 4 in 1 bucket to drag it all out best I can

OK, then time for the baby roller

Smooth. Use the dumpy level and I dunno guesswork to get it all pretty level and peg out the exact positions where I want each pile... piled.

Each little yellow blob is a pile centre point. i like the edges of the hole where the grass kind of cascades over. It reminds me of sonic the hedgehog levels or something.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
How deep are these piles going? I always thought basic screw piles could be installed with just a hydraulic attachment on a small backhoe. That clay must be pretty drat thick or unconsolidated.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Decoy Badger posted:

How deep are these piles going? I always thought basic screw piles could be installed with just a hydraulic attachment on a small backhoe. That clay must be pretty drat thick or unconsolidated.

The piles are required to achieve a 100kN bearing. Mainly, a few need 150. The engineer stressed this was down to the pilers to confirm what they would need to do to achieve this. He felt it would be around 6 metres (I met a guy later who had augured piles down to 12m!).

You're absolutely right that an augured pile can be done with a much smaller machine, like something not much bigger than a ride on lawn mower. I felt very confused when asking for quotes whether I was talking to the right people or not.

For instance a local company, who are perhaps more used to putting augured piles into tricky little extension situations came back to me with a quote for around £30k. But to 2m depth with £200 per metre per pile for any extra. I pointed out the engineer wanted 6m piles, but it could be more. They went wow! thats a lot yes that would probably double our quote.

So I went with the big boys, Who are going to drive our piles. As in absolutely bosh them in. I checked with them and had a guy come out to confirm he didnt think it was going to be a vibration issue or anything.

Ultimately we put letters through the next door neighbours to say probably hold on to your expensive china lol ok cheers.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

But also as part of the contract we need to provide welfare facilities for the lads coming on site. Obviously already got the shitter, but need a handwashing area and a break room. But we have no water or power on site yet.

Firstly buy a water bowser and some cheap patio chairs.

Container is obvious contender for the breakroom. But mings. Lets paint it

Buy some bits om gumtree for next to nowt

Install framework in container without compromising outer shell

doormat

Havent bought the key to open lid of bowser so pressure fill from bottom lol

Award winning handwash station (they literally had their pictures taken next to it they were so impressed)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

And the day finally comes.

The big boy arrives.

and unloads

and easily fits into site with no issues or people making GBS threads themselves

I mean, easy

It gets wider by the way, the tracks go out. Also its rained...

Oh and need this, could have used our digger but whatever

Becoming erect

The piles start to arrive

so these are 200mm by 200mm concrete with steel reinforcement running the 6.5m length I think

mshade
Jul 13, 2001
I thought you were joking earlier when you mentioned having to provide a breakroom. Was that really required? Is that common? I'm in the U.S., but I've never heard of that and would have laughed if I was asked to provide it in this situation.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I said earlier that I think that firm were more used to operating on much bigger sites, like building whole estates of homes or a supermarket or that kind of thing. The contract stipulated the toilet and breakroom, think it specified things like having to have coat hooks! When the site liaison guy came out to inspect the piling mat before they came I tried to sound him out about it all and said look I'm a silly little self builder is all this really needed? He pulled a funny face and seemed uncomfortable about not having it all so I took it as necessary.

I also bought a big flask to fill with hot water each day, provided tea bags and coffee and a tray of biscuits.

No one used any of it. They sat in their van.

Oh and the minimum hire on the toilet was a month. They were only on site like two days.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

***spoilers! I've put some videos on here which I've never done before and don't know how thats going to work? they're just imgurs so we'll see.***
** Never mind figured it all out on my own with NO help - TURN SOUND ON THOUGH **

Before we get going I have another delivery turn up. 2 grands worth of cellcore polystyrene. This needs to be installed underneath the groundbeams to prevent the ground heave of the clay from expanding and I dunno somehow snapping our steel reinforced concrete foundations. Its like a beehive of polystyrene and mainly air.

Anyway its the first thing I've had to unload at the roadside of an artic with the digger.

So I'm a bit stressed but do really well and don't gently caress anything up. So I shoot off down the site I know like the back of my hand with 12 feet high of polystyrene on the front forks blocking my view, completely forgetting I've just told another lad to park the telehandler in the middle of site (so I could give them the legally mandated site safety briefing). So I steam into the back of that and smash up half the polystyrene. Everyone laughs at me. It is pretty lol.

I get the rest set down.

Then it all blows away anyway.

Anyway we move on. Piling time.

It's... somewhat loud
https://i.imgur.com/7hrvDt9.mp4

I'm not on facebook but my sister in law kept me up to date on the increasingly angry village page lol.
The lads that run the pub next door had had a letter informing them and apologising in advance and they stuck up for us and all the passive aggressive nimbys started to fall over themselves to apologise. Which I wouldn't it was loving ridiculous.

Between the rain and the telehandler bringing the piles up and down its basically ruined site, now a mudbath.
I just keep out of it and let them figure it all out.
https://i.imgur.com/8IfEzbe.mp4

We ask them to get into some pretty tight spots but they're equal to the task.

The team make short work of the piling and we're mostly done, minus two last piles that the rig will put in as it exits the mat.
We unfortunately have to wait until after the weekend for the test team to come in and... test the piles are strong enough? yeah. You may have noticed some of the piles are sticking out more, they're longer test ones. The guy comes and drill into them and plugs his laptop in. The lads then whack it with the piling rig 3 times and somehow, science stuff, they know how strong the piles are.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 2, 2022

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Fantastic scope and scale. I'm looking forward to seeing further progress.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

They turn up and do the whacking test.

I'm not one to complain. But we're after 100kN on most piles and 150 on three of the corner ones.

First pile tested comes out at 650kN.

Riiiight. So could I have just done some normal foundations and we'd be fine? Lots of people sucking their teeth, well mate, who knows... Brilliant.

My brother and I, mainly to upset ourselves calculate how many fully laden jumbo jet 747s we could park on our house. And frankly its more jumbo jets than anyone should ever need to park on their house.

Its important to stay calm.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

And now the lads are on their way out, they need to drive the last two piles. The final pile they realise they really want to drive from in/onside the mat and its dubious whether its going to be OK. everything falling to me, I take an executive decision and allow them only millimetres to drive it in and get out over. I'm probably smarting from the whole maybe I didn't need to spend 30k on any of this situation.

They get out fine, they know what they're doing. But the lad to pick up the rig is for some reason convinced he can, completely unnecessarily get himself into site to directly pick up the rig...

He's sure he can do... which no-one needs

And of course ultimately he can't and we unload the rig the same way it came in lol.

But then its a bit awkward.

Dunno if you remember but our contract was for piles at a 75mm margin of error.

Dunno if you can read that, but thats like 160mm...

Its a bit awkward cos we've all enjoyed each others company, I mean no one has even set foot in my welfare box or even nibbled the slightest, and varied, biscuit. But still we've kind of got a contract and...

I have to halt everything and ring my engineer.

My advice is always have an engineer or an architect or just anyone really you can blame when you're not sure. So you can either ring them, pretend to ring them, ring your dad while you ask what he thinks or anything in between really. Because the contract said if you aren't happy say before we leave. So I was glad I did. You really do need to stand your ground and it can be incredibly difficult.

It was like greenpeace, me standing infront of the rig gandalfing at it that it shall not pass. nah lol it was OK in the end.

I quickly mocked up a diagram and sent it to the engineer with some options that varied from find a way to suck a pile out of the ground, through put some extra ground beams in to cover the discrepancy to ignore it altogether.

he said chuck some extra bits of steel rod in, no biggie. I think the fact it was still with the groundbeam area meant who cares.

Right so then, as mentioned I need to drag out all that piling mat material. I make a a bit of a hash of it to start with and wonder what the gently caress, how is this ever going to work... piles are a terrible solution

And the steels arrive for the groundbeams to install horizontally between the piles

and the provided instructions are first class

???

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I can't really remember why, but at this point we decide to break on the foundations and focus on the main service trench that we need to bring water, power and data on to site.

This will compromise all access to site. I guess it was because we had the big rig come through already and probably the water and power company timescales aligning to make this the priority.

What isn't aligned is the bloody portoloo. Don't want it anymore but can't be sure how long access will be messed up so try to get it removed but the company is impossible to deal with and completely uninterested in helping out. So gently caress it.

Pick it up with the digger and put it out the front and they can collect whenever. We're next to a pub and if anyone fancies using on the way home fair enough.

Everything on site is our responsibility to dig. Power company need a fat bit of trench near the road for their engineers to get in and make the connection between our power and their fat wire.

Then after that we need to stick to these rules, we don't have gas so ignore that one.

You can't really see there but theres a drain there we had to avoid, hence the kink around it where the letterbox fence is. The pipework is deeper than us so no worries there.

So power is coming round to the kiosk and back out to rejoin the water and data carrying on straight past, but also we've got separate little data power going back towards the gate for eventual electric gate/intercom etc.

And finish up everyday

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

How are the neighbours treating you at this stage?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Nova69 posted:

How are the neighbours treating you at this stage?

Hmmm, reading between the lines, I probably am almost as well respected and loved a villager as I am a forums poster.

Lol. It varies a bit between neighbours but nothing too terrible, although obviously some of them would rather we weren't there. The key relationship is with the elderly couple on the corner right next to our access. They've lived there for 50 years.

Thankfully he used to be a digger operator and loves us. Constantly round to tell me whats what and she brings me relentless cups of tea I have to find opportunity to chuck in the hedge when she's not looking. I let him, in his 80's, drive the dumper around which he loved, and did me a favour. He's handy knowledge to have around too.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Back to the big hole in the ground. We need to scrape back off all the piling hardcore we put down but then also dig down around a metre between each pile to produce this pattern:

So that is a 450mm deep concrete ground beam arrangement, 525mm wide with 75mm of polysterene to its internal perimeter, sitting atop 220mm of polysterene/air lattice stuff (that I crashed and smashed up).

Plus leave around 500mm of pile sticking up above that to crimp the concrete off leaving exposed steel rebar to fold down into the groundbeam.

Oh and the pile cropper (a thing you hang off a digger to do that crimping) needs an 8 tonne digger. Our machine's arm is rated probably equivalent to a 5 tonne, isnt piped anyway and can't get in the hole. We're renting plant.

So we need a machine big enough to hoist the pile cropper but also one small and nimble enough to get in amongst the piles. So two machines.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol sorry forgot about closing up the utilities trench down our only access.

water in first

bunch of sand to bed it all, then power on top as per earlier diagram round to cabinet.

Then we've got bt conduit that we need to put a pull through line down and connect together, also run data and power back to the gate in the same trench for an eventual electric gate and camera system etc.

cover in sand again and then backfill

oh and put yellow tape over electric before final backfill

fat old electric cable, (spoilers) currently buying the final run of cable to connect cabinet to house and its over a thousand pounds.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Are you living elsewhere in the village while this is taking place or are you having to commute to/from the site?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

initially I was over an hour away, but quite quickly rented a place in just the next village, 5 mins drive away. It was only going to be for 6 months.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The cropping commences

You dangle this big chopper over the pile, lower it down and then CRUNCH. You can total crunch to chop the pile completely to a certain height then semi crunch to break the concrete off the steel reinforcement, leaving it for manipulation later into the groundbeams. You have to do this almost inch by inch, and whilst scary, it is quite satisfying.

Leaving you with this flaccid mess of a thing that you hope isn't a horrible mistake

Yeah by now the weather is poo poo and everything is flooded. Everything collapses back in as quickly as we can dig it out, nothing is tidy. But its get the material out, the piles cropped whilst we have all this plant on hire then we'll deal with whatever mess is left afterwards.

Then theres another issue

lol. When that trench was open earlier I did my ankle a bit jumping down into it but stretching oddly to not land on the pipes in the bottom. Ignored it for a while. Things got worse and eventually so painful needed to go get it checked out.

The doctors were a crazy mix of completely blasé and massively over the top, I thought. I was on the verge of getting told I was a big wimp and could go home as x rays showing nothing but then my bloods came back and everyone looked all sour faced. And well

I'm incarcerated away from all my massive(ly expensive machinery). I don't understand the menu system and order toast without butter one morning because I couldn't see how the numbers system allowed me both? Surely the blue lines are dividers for a reason? Like what is to stop me ticking every single box? madness

this is a hospital so I guess they know about health and my meal portions at home should be more this size I guess? Which begs the question why are plates so wastefully large?

This is life changing

Anyway a few days later I get released with the only crutches they have that are far too small. I cannot go to site so family tries to take over meaning I have to babysit instead. My nephew finds my crutches hilarious.

And promptly dismantles them and runs off with all the bits. I am fired as babysitter

In my enforced absence my brothers battle valiantly to do justice to me, creating as much of a loving mess as they can.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 18, 2022

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

When the hospital pictures came up I was really hoping it might be piles to go with your piles, but a bad ankle and infection seems less debilitating in the long run so that's good.

Children have literally no sympathy for the sick and infirm, bastards the lot of them.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
This thread has been hilarious - I love that you went all out with that break room and they never even used it lol.

Get well soon!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

We do not want to be doing groundworks in the winter weathers.

https://i.imgur.com/yb6PTpB.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/5WcoEa9.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/M5IHGpO.mp4

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

apologies for the big delay, turns out I'm as slow and lazy at making posts as I am at building houses.

Yeah so this all sucks horribly. But we're sort of getting there, these 600mm wide sections of 220mm polysterene honeycomb stuff has to get put in under all the groundbeams, with the pile heads just penetrating through sort of like this:

more like this

we're a bit of a way down actually

and then above the honeycomb stuff we've got the sacrificial plastic U-shape formwork that will contain the actual concrete pour

but all held together by backfill so it looks like this

then with the steel cage lifted in, used the digger arm, and polystyrene clayguard applied to the inside perimeter to prevent the completely unimaginable groundheave

But now we need to backfill against the steel and plastic spacers to allow for the concrete pour. But there is no mud. So I put some mud in a bag and lift it in

and attempt to sort of spade/shovel it across the groundbeam formwork into the backfill space. It is loving poo poo

then setup a corner and start of down the rest of the layout

housebuilding is very fun

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

It must be nice to know that when you get bored of the bungalow you can just take it down and put a 15 story L shaped building on the same foundations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What kind of foundations do the buildings on either side of you look like

In Texas we have thick gooey clay that can move 5cm from drought to torrential downpour, a dozen times a year, and sit on a 7.5cm un-reinforced concrete slab-on-grade. Ten million homes like this. Yes they all have a crack down the middle, but doesn't impact the overall structural integrity of the house sitting on top

Pretty sure anti-aircraft guns in Dover sit on less substantial foundations :britain::hf::psyduck:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 9, 2022

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

For such a short thread, it's already been one hell of a ride. More people need to see this thread. I hope your recovery is going well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is a very good thread that I will be watching.

I'm both confused and intrigued by the system that is being used for this foundation. And offended on behalf of OP based on what looks like the complete and total waste of money it was.