Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, Kento's straitjacket German is the most notable modern-day example I think of

You still see it used somtimes to end matches that are built around brutal hard-hitting offense and the German is just the thing that finally puts a guy down, but there aren't many people who use it as a regular finisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Edward Mass posted:

What two wrestlers have had more televised singles matches than Kane and the Big Show? They wrestled each other 22 times from 1999-2014. For the record, Big Show went 13-7, with 2 no contests.
If you told me Undertaker and Austin headlined 50 straight pay-per-views I would initially believe you

Somehow I am sure they only wrestled like 5 times but I remember that was the Cena/Orton of the era for how sick of it I was

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's funny because Austin/Taker was one of the few matchups they actually tried to protect at the start of the Attidue Era.

They got a long build to Summerslam 98 which was one of the better-drawing PPVs of that era, and they had a Raw match which is still the highest-rated Raw of all time. And then like everything else in the Attitude Era, that match got ran into the ground over and over again.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Dolph Ziggler and Kofi Kingston have had 23. 29 if PPVs count.

Their overall record is 14-14-1 so clearly we need a rubber match.

Wonder if anyone remembers a single one of these. Even Kofi or Dolph themselves

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Not the match content but I remember Dolph being one of Kofi’s feuds as champion and it sucking the life out of his reign

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Breetai posted:

When was the last time someone in a major promotion won a televised match clean with a bridging/holding German Suplex?

I'm only kinda half-serious when I ask this, but it struck me the other day: A German Suplex these days is pretty much exclusively a move that is used for a near-fall, but I can't recall a single instance of it being used since I started watching wrestling to actually pin someone.

I feel like a woman in AEW or WWE did within the last year because I remember someone doing a German and everyone remarking about how it was one of the nicest German suplexes and bridges they'd ever seen. Maybe it wasn't a finish but for some reason it's sticking in my head as one.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Whatever happened to the rolling German suplexes? Someone should bring that back.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I really like Matt Jackson’s locomotion northern lights suplex

It was v. funny when he did it to Sammy for the entire length of an American Football field

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Sandman McMahon posted:

Whatever happened to the rolling German suplexes? Someone should bring that back.

yuta is doing it right now as part of his benoit tribute act

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

yuta is doing it right now as part of his benoit tribute act

gently caress I guess I should stop skipping his matches

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Him hitting six germans in the beginning of the Forbidden Door match got a massive pop and a standing ovation.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

It was easily a top 3 match for me on FD, was super impressed by Yuta and Shooter in that one

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sandman McMahon posted:

gently caress I guess I should stop skipping his matches

you should have stopped that months ago, all of his matches since he started getting built to join the BCC have been great (and the ones before that certainly weren't bad either)

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Back when Wheeler Yuta joined the Best Friends I was convinced he was evil and manipulating the Best Friends from the inside to destroy one of AEWs most wholesome stables. It’s the goatee. That’s clearly the goatee of someone from the mirror dimension where good people are evil and evil people are good.
Now obviously this implies that the Wheeler Yuta of our dimension is not evil and also has no goatee, I can only assume mirror-Wheeler Yuta murdered him and buried him under a football field or something.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

His matches with Mox were neat storytelling, with Yuta never winning but Mox becoming more and more flustered that this skinny rear end in a top hat could very well have beaten him

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

CopywrightMMXI posted:

They really tried to make them generational rivals, but Cena’s feuds with Edge, Punk and Batisra were all much more memorable.

Yeah it had nothing to do with chemistry or fan interest. It was just, "Well these are the top guys so they must feud" except drawn out for 2 decades because neither ever loving left or were cycled down the card.

It was "a rivalry for the ages" like 2 office workers who've just been there the longest.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The match mox/yuta match where yuta bled and got made is a legit motyc

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sandman McMahon posted:

Back when Wheeler Yuta joined the Best Friends I was convinced he was evil and manipulating the Best Friends from the inside to destroy one of AEWs most wholesome stables. It’s the goatee. That’s clearly the goatee of someone from the mirror dimension where good people are evil and evil people are good.
Now obviously this implies that the Wheeler Yuta of our dimension is not evil and also has no goatee, I can only assume mirror-Wheeler Yuta murdered him and buried him under a football field or something.

He hasn't had a goatee his entire time in AEW tho

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

He hasn't had a goatee his entire time in AEW tho

Yeah that must have been the good Yuta. Rip.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Ganso Bomb posted:

I feel like a woman in AEW or WWE did within the last year because I remember someone doing a German and everyone remarking about how it was one of the nicest German suplexes and bridges they'd ever seen. Maybe it wasn't a finish but for some reason it's sticking in my head as one.

One time Shanna pinned a jobber with a dragon suplex and got stuck in the bridge; the ref had to help her out.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ganso Bomb posted:

Leva Bates won a match on Dark with a Northern Lights with a beautiful bridge.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Davros1 posted:

Leva Bates won a match on Dark with a Northern Lights with a beautiful bridge.

the Northern Lights should have been Alicia Fox's finsher instead of her very unsafe looking axe kick

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

The match mox/yuta match where yuta bled and got made is a legit motyc

Meltzer gave Moxley/Yuta, the Forbidden Door six-man, and Blood and Guts all ****3/4. And after Moxley/Yuta but before the latter two, he had some fun six-mans with Mox and Bryan, plus the Best of the Super Juniors; I've heard good things about the Desperado and Robbie Eagles matches in particular.

All of which is to say watch the steel drum boy's matches, he's good and has been on a terrific hot streak.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

jesus WEP posted:

Not the match content but I remember Dolph being one of Kofi’s feuds as champion and it sucking the life out of his reign
It was so deflating when they did the 2016 brand split and Mox’s first feud as champion on Smackdown was Dolph Ziggler.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Who do you think is the worst booker of a large promotion ever? For large, I'll say at least TNA size and above.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

if I could change one thing about the brand split back then, I'd draft Dolph Ziggler to Raw and Sami Zayn to Smackdown

I love Miz/Ziggler from No Mercy 2016, but I really would've loved to see what would've happened if Sami were in that spot, especially since it would've meant a Mox/Sami feud going into Summerslam

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Who do you think is the worst booker of a large promotion ever? For large, I'll say at least TNA size and above.

Vince Russo

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Vince McMahon and its not close

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i brought up jim herd in this post but he wasn't ever the booker. don't know why i brought him up. guess i'm a piece of poo poo. he really sucked and had horrible ideas though, and probably got plenty of them through

bartok
May 10, 2006

Minidust posted:

It was so deflating when they did the 2016 brand split and Mox’s first feud as champion on Smackdown was Dolph Ziggler.

I remember the build being Mox constantly calling Ziggler a loser and then he beat him clean in a forgettable match.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Super No Vacancy posted:

nods hard

Any other booker as bad as Vinnie Mac would have been fired. Out of a canon. Into the sun. You'd have better luck booking via a neural network.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Not counting McMahon, I feel like the big debate is whether WCW was worse with Bischoff/Nash/Sullivan or Russo. I honestly don't even know any more.

The other debate is whether Russo was at his worst in WWF, WCW or TNA.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

no-one who booked the chicken neck on a pole match can be in the running for worst booker, imo. it's mcmahon.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Matches Vince McMahon didn't book when he had plenty of chances to.

Undertaker vs John Cena
Undertaker vs Sting
Hulk Hogan vs Ric Flair
Eddie Guerrero vs Shawn Michaels

Yeah, Vince is the worst.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

Yea. From a pure content point of view I dont think so little has been done with so much.

Consider they had the absolute best people the indies could produce in the last decade on their roster and managed to do absolutely nothing with them and its not close.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 6, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
McMahon is the clear winner because no one else has been so bad, so much, for such long periods of time. No one who wasn't the CEO of the company could get away with the poo poo he's done.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Not counting McMahon, I feel like the big debate is whether WCW was worse with Bischoff/Nash/Sullivan or Russo. I honestly don't even know any more.
Russo sucks, of course, but the damage was done before he got there. They were Leon Czolgosz, he was the quack doctors sticking their dirty fingers into the wounds.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Undertaker vs John Cena
Undertaker vs Sting
Hulk Hogan vs Ric Flair

Also Austin Vs Goldberg

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Undertaker vs John Cena
Undertaker vs Sting
Hulk Hogan vs Ric Flair

He booked Hogan vs Flair dozens of times and we should be thankful he didn't book Undertaker vs Sting.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Hogan and Flair did a whole bunch of DQ and count-out finishes on the house tour circuit and then Vince wondered why it wasn't drawing so well and nixed the planned TV programme for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

buddy i swear it that the undertaker beat john cena at wrestlemania within the past 10 years and feuded with cena when he was on the cusp of the main event