Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

codo27 posted:

Its so fuckin bad being a computer toucher and you got your home setup and everything is fine but you just want to start hauling out all the chintzy consumer grade poo poo you have and start needlessly installing enterprise switches and stuff for absolutely no good reason.

Ive largely given up on the home tinkering hobby.

Last week I had planned out a home security camera system with ubiquiti and scripting storage offload to S3. Then I realized I could buy a Wyze camera for $35 and pay $2.50 a month for cloud storage and just went that route.

The only home tinkering I like to do now, is slowly learning to code in python to support my own hobby projects like a personal weather station or putzing around with pi projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Last week I had planned out a home security camera system with ubiquiti and scripting storage offload to S3. Then I realized I could buy a Wyze camera for $35 and pay $2.50 a month for cloud storage and just went that route.

This is exactly where I'm at. I bought all the ubiquiti gear to support enough cameras to cover Ft Knox, but I was just holding out for them to either fix problems with their current cameras / software or put out new ones that didn't suck.
In the meantime, Wyze came along and started dropping $30-40 cameras with alerts and all sorts of other features and I relented.
Probably not the smartest thing in terms of privacy, but the point still stands. Home hobby-ing isn't really as fun anymore now that there are cheap off-the-shelf solutions for everything.
Maybe one day I'll be concerned about Wyze selling access to my cameras and health data (that cheap gear comes at a price) but that day is not today.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I have battery backups at home and honestly? They’re loving clutch. I have an 8 port unifi and a lovely outdated for business use 30E in my closet in case I ever want to get frisky.

e:whoops

Diqnol fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 5, 2022

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Last thing I did was install a nas server at home and load plex on top of it. Its been pretty good. Should have done this way soooner. My friends and family love it too.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Enterprise kit at home? In this economy?

Calling Ubiquiti enterprise is pretty much like calling Mazepin a good driver.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is exactly where I'm at. I bought all the ubiquiti gear to support enough cameras to cover Ft Knox, but I was just holding out for them to either fix problems with their current cameras / software or put out new ones that didn't suck.
In the meantime, Wyze came along and started dropping $30-40 cameras with alerts and all sorts of other features and I relented.
Probably not the smartest thing in terms of privacy, but the point still stands. Home hobby-ing isn't really as fun anymore now that there are cheap off-the-shelf solutions for everything.
Maybe one day I'll be concerned about Wyze selling access to my cameras and health data (that cheap gear comes at a price) but that day is not today.

I just have them pointed outside so I dont have a ton of privacy concerns, but your point still stands. I have a small ubiquiti setup at home, I threw these on the IOT vlan and away you go. The alerts were easy enough to setup and get tuned and I've been really happy with them thus far.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ubiquiti is prosumer, emphasis on the 'sumer

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SlowBloke posted:

Calling Ubiquiti enterprise is pretty much like calling Mazepin a good driver.

Oh I know, I was balking at the idea of paying the energy bill to run big Cisco switches for home use

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

ptier posted:

Next AWS hiccup and now your packages don’t arrive. Good times.

Sounds unlikely considering

quote:

The company is a known Oracle Cloud and Microsoft Azure customer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ptier posted:

Next AWS hiccup and now your packages don’t arrive. Good times.

You are acting as if it was possible for Fedex to become more unreliable.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

bull3964 posted:

You are acting as if it was possible for Fedex to become more unreliable.

One of the many Italian delivery provider (TNT) got purchased by Fedex and managed to become worse than the Italian postal service, which is something I thought impossible.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Bob Morales posted:

https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/en/news/fedex-to-close-data-centers-retire-all-mainframes-by-2024-saving-400m/

FedEx to close data centers, retire all mainframes by 2024, saving $400m
Company looking to go all-in on cloud

quote:

In 2019, the company announced a 10-year deal with Switch Inc. to see the company serve as FedEx’s western US data center.
This story is just bizarre. I don't see an interpretation in which cutting a 10-year agreement halfway through is good PR for FedEx.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Vulture Culture posted:

This story is just bizarre. I don't see an interpretation in which cutting a 10-year agreement halfway through is good PR for FedEx.

It is, if they can sell them the datacenter and grab the money now rather than over ten years.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

quote:

<USER>, I need to speak with your IT regarding the client. There may be something with the subnet the devices are on or a port that needs to be opened to allow the device discovery.

My day just got a lot dumber. This means:

1: Someone bought and implemented something on their own without consulting us
2: That something doesn't work
3: Vendor blames us
4: helpdesk "cRiTiCaL SyStEm oUtAgE"
5: me :shepicide:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thought about posting this in the infosec thread, but think it has wide ranging impacts and that others would be interested in it.

https://www.cisa.gov/uscert/ncas/current-activity/2022/07/05/prepare-new-cryptographic-standard-protect-against-future-quantum

I can not imagine the poo poo storm this is going to create with legacy hardware/software, or the impact this haves if quantum computing becomes more easily accessible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think everyone's going to spend the next 10 years assuming quantum computing is 10 years off so they don't have to worry about it now.

I guess the folks that are obligated to meet NIST recommendations have to worry a little more.

If it kills off legacy poo poo that's a win in my book.. but we all know it won't.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Are we going to ditch PKI as an encryption standard now? After so much time educating Computer Touchers and we finally achieved a basic competence for like 2% them?

Let’s hope the new standard will be more user friendly!

hahaha of course it won’t be

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

LochNessMonster posted:

Are we going to ditch PKI as an encryption standard now? After so much time educating Computer Touchers and we finally achieved a basic competence for like 2% them?

Let’s hope the new standard will be more user friendly!

hahaha of course it won’t be

Yea I was just asking this internally. I feel like now is the time to move to the cabin in the woods.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Seems like the right decision is migrating to a cloud ecosystem and letting them deal with it.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

klosterdev posted:

Seems like the right decision is migrating to a cloud ecosystem and letting them deal with it.

When the cloud has a problem you still get lots of angry phone calls AND you have lost your ability to prove it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh no, me? I love being personally responsible for everything. It makes me feel important.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Farking Bastage posted:

When the cloud has a problem you still get lots of angry phone calls AND you have lost your ability to prove it.

Maybe that's me but every cloud provider will deliver live status reports and post mortems with far better detail than internal run systems.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SHI got hacked. Lol

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

i'm drawing a blank, isn't there a prepopulated ldap server you can download that has a poo poo ton of fake user accounts?

App13
Dec 31, 2011

jaegerx posted:

i'm drawing a blank, isn't there a prepopulated ldap server you can download that has a poo poo ton of fake user accounts?

You can spin up your own with a tool called BadBlood. Search for BloodHound AD and it should be on that GitHub page

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

App13 posted:

You can spin up your own with a tool called BadBlood. Search for BloodHound AD and it should be on that GitHub page

unfortunately that's windows but it would be exactly want i need. i guess i have a 2022 server laying around not doing poo poo.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

jaegerx posted:

unfortunately that's windows but it would be exactly want i need. i guess i have a 2022 server laying around not doing poo poo.

Ah yeah when I see LDAP my mind still goes right to AD.

FWIW it’s a slick tool. BloodHound too. Worth the download just to make a fake domain and fantasize about how you’d go about hacking it

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

App13 posted:

Ah yeah when I see LDAP my mind still goes right to AD.

FWIW it’s a slick tool. BloodHound too. Worth the download just to make a fake domain and fantasize about how you’d go about hacking it

Yeah worked great. Now I can shove it in a devs face.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hell yea we’re getting outsourced. Supposedly they want to keep us all on and retain our salaries. I guess we’ll see what offer they make. Hell my reports might even get a pay bump. Good for them. I’ll stick around until my rear end is fired once I’m able to secure a new job.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

George H.W. oval office posted:

Hell yea we’re getting outsourced. Supposedly they want to keep us all on and retain our salaries.

Lol. Sure you will.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Maybe you keep the same amount of base cash, but your Total Comp is going to get slashed hard. I guarantee the benefit package is non existant or total poo poo.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

skipdogg posted:

Maybe you keep the same amount of base cash, but your Total Comp is going to get slashed hard. I guarantee the benefit package is non existant or total poo poo.

This. The entire point of rebadging your staff is to save money on benefits.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Benefits package is already pretty poo poo so lol at it getting much worse!

*looks at health insurance offer*

gently caress

Well only :10bux: more a paycheck at least.

I mean my options are no job and going along with this while I look for an opportunity elsewhere. If they had at least done this during March I'd have hosed off to hike the PCT. :argh: for not doing this poo poo sooner!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
My boss and manager are currently LOUDLY arguing over "what to do about Tiworker.exe using the most CPU" on our file share server, and citing websites like electronicshub.com and whatsabyte.com

I have the utmost confidence in their ability to gently caress this up royally.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My boss and manager are currently LOUDLY arguing over "what to do about Tiworker.exe using the most CPU" on our file share server, and citing websites like electronicshub.com and whatsabyte.com

I have the utmost confidence in their ability to gently caress this up royally.

Elaborate. I see it’s part of windows update. I want to understand the windows world.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

jaegerx posted:

I want to understand the windows world.

suggestion: don't

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Nah really. What’s the joke. Windows update is killing your cpu? Yeah no poo poo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Nah really. What’s the joke. Windows update is killing your cpu? Yeah no poo poo.

The very second I opened your post I involuntarily ripped an enormous fart

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CLAM DOWN posted:

The very second I opened your post I involuntarily ripped an enormous fart

The traditional Canadian welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

SyNack Sassimov posted:

suggestion: don't

we have to build and maintain a windows server environment for running powerbi gateway and I am distraught

at least it’s not stateful

on an unrelated note, how’s powershell dsc these days?

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 7, 2022