Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Using wild birds will be a real power move over those wild yeast scrubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

But how will I compete with Wild Turkey? (Alright, alright, alright alright!)

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

My work has spent the last 6 months or so renovating our office and rented out extra space in our building because we had really outgrown our existing space. The week it finally finished and they go to move people around, one of the guys in the CAD department quits because a competitor offered full-time work from home.

Upper management then panics and offers WFH for the whole CAD department of about 20 people, and 17 of them take the offer. So now we have this big new space that is sitting empty. It’s kind of funny.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

What is it about upper-management brain that can't understand "people love WFH."

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

What is it about upper-management brain that can't understand "people love WFH."

cant look at their living funco pop collection if it’s all living at home

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

Oh they understand that and hate it.

also:

aegof posted:

cant look at their living funco pop collection if it’s all living at home

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Agents are GO! posted:

It was odd because a lot of people were doing hybrid, and a couple people were even full time working remotely, but if you lived locally then they wanted you in the office at least three times a week. Until now I guess.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The assistant restaurant manager is sort of my point of contact with upper management and helps me understand certain things in more direct terms. But also sometimes he has these really awful ideas. A few months ago he brought up the idea of using maca or Peruvian ginseng in a beer because I guess it's some sort of all natural male enhancement herb and he thought that'd be interesting. I asked what would make it interesting and he just basically said it could help guys get boners (probably not because it's herbal remedy poo poo) and that's "interesting". I dropped it and he brought it up again yesterday as we were having beers at a place that got a keg of our stuff recently. I grew up taking a lot of herbal remedies and being unable to swallow pills had to just sorta eat them. They taste loving awful. If you want to add some random adjunct I need a more compelling reason than it being "interesting", especially if it doesn't taste pleasant on it's own.

Fortunately, this guy doesn't have any pull in deciding what I make and if it's floated I'm gonna shoot it down ASAP. Boner Beer. WTF?

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Escape From Noise posted:

Just got a bird in my malt. Fortunately it was at the bottom of the bag so I was able to pick it out well before it got near the rollers of the mill...

DEAD BIRD
DO NOT MASH

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Bubblyblubber posted:

DEAD BIRD
DO NOT MASH

Better take that bird back to whence it came.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

... Boner Beer. WTF?

Think of it as counteracting whiskey dick

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Think of it as counteracting whiskey dick

He drinks a whiskey drink, he drinks a lager drink...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bubblyblubber posted:

DEAD BIRD
DO NOT MASH

What the gently caress does "Dead do not bird mash" mean?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Just put horny goat weed into the beer.

Or needles. I hear acupuncture helps get your dick hard.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
there is a brewery in my city called Dead Bird Brewing, lmao. "specializing in unique & vegan ingredients" they say

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

What the gently caress does "Dead do not bird mash" mean?

If I reveal my secrets I'll get kicked out of the Alliance of Magicians.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

20 Blunts posted:

there is a brewery in my city called Dead Bird Brewing, lmao. "specializing in unique & vegan ingredients" they say

What

Isn't beer... already vegan

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

What

Apparently some fish derivative is used to get the yeast detritus out.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

What

In theory, but isinglass (as mentioned above) and/or gelatin can be used as finings. Lactose has become a popular adjunct as well. I suppose honey would be non vegan depending on how strict you are about that (I really don't know, IME it seems to vary.).

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

tight aspirations posted:

Apparently some fish derivative is used to get the yeast detritus out.

We're taking the hoppies to isinglass.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Isinglass reminds me of The Food Babe's article about beer, and while it's not as dumb as her article about flying, it is very loving dumb.

Edit: She encouraged people to get German beers if they couldn't research a place because she claimed German purity laws meant no additives, which got a lol from me.

Edit 2: The number of breweries that use isinglass (a fining agent derived from dried fish swim bladders) is pretty low. Guinness is pretty much the only one. I think they use some ridiculously high percentage of the world's supply, I think like 90%, but in her article she made it seem like it was super common. Most places use Irish moss or carrageenan (derived from seaweed), if they use kettle finings at all, or gelatin as a tank fining.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 7, 2022

naem
May 29, 2011

I knew I liked guiness for a reason

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Oh poo poo. Old news. Guinness stopped using Isinglass in 2015. Bleh. Haven't kept up!

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

/edit: I misread a joke post

Orvin fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 7, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Isn't most red wine non-vegan for the same reason?

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Had a creamy peach beer at a tourist pub, thought of Escape From Noise

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Okay, we have a lot of computer touchers who are at least IT adjacent here, so maybe someone can explain a small bit of "the poo poo I have to clean up now after a new IT guy came by to fix a small problem and accidentally broke everything on my work computer":

What is the logic of not allowing users to change their own passwords, requiring an IT ticket (which can only be sent from addresses that require that password to get into, btw) to have it changed... At which point the new one is sent to the user as plain text?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

SkyeAuroline posted:

Okay, we have a lot of computer touchers who are at least IT adjacent here, so maybe someone can explain a small bit of "the poo poo I have to clean up now after a new IT guy came by to fix a small problem and accidentally broke everything on my work computer":

What is the logic of not allowing users to change their own passwords, requiring an IT ticket (which can only be sent from addresses that require that password to get into, btw) to have it changed... At which point the new one is sent to the user as plain text?

It's a quick ticket to take care of, which is good for their metrics. And encryption costs more.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

On the opposite side of the spectrum, my company has an account management website and have implemented Microsoft's Company Portal so users can unlock their own accounts and reset all their passwords in one spot and install any approved application themselves (As long as it doesn't need a license). But still user's put in tickets for those same things.

Earlier in the week, I had a nice threeway fight with a user and their manager trying to explain that no, I will not replace the battery on her out of warranty PC when she has a replacement that she received in May. And also that no, the new PC does not need to be 'reimaged' because it doesn't have your applications installed, that's how it comes you have to install what you need yourself. This is what happens when you decide to circumvent the normal "My PC is broken" process and just order a new one through procurement.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Pyrtanis posted:

Had a Potsdamer in Berlin yesterday and same: beer and orange fanta.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Pyrtanis posted:

I'll be creamin' those peaches next week!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Armitag3 posted:

Isn't that just a Radler?

I really like the Hefeweizen + banana juice combos

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

TotalLossBrain posted:

Isn't that just a Radler?

I really like the Hefeweizen + banana juice combos

A Radler is beer and lemon juice i believe

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I think helles and lemonade (European lemonade, so lemon soda to Americans) and hefeweissen with lemonade is a Ruß. Hefeweissen with coke is a slur. Or was.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I think helles and lemonade (European lemonade, so lemon soda to Americans) and hefeweissen with lemonade is a Ruß. Hefeweissen with coke is a slur. Or was.

Most people just call it a Colaweizen now.

I mean, it's gross and it shouldn't exist anyways, but if you're a gross person who insists on ruining a good heff by dumping loving coke in it, there's a way to ask for someone to do that without saying something that makes you sound like you're in 1930s Germany.

edit: and a light beer + lemonade is a Radler.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah..I thought the old coke weissen name was probably old at this point.

I''m not gonna lie, when it's hot out a light lager and limeade really does it for me.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah..I thought the old coke weissen name was probably old at this point.

I''m not gonna lie, when it's hot out a light lager and limeade really does it for me.

Apfelschorle and wine is my go-to for that. Apfelschorle is basically half and half apple juice and carbonated mineral water, and then you half-and-half that with white wine and it is INCREDIBLY refreshing while still putting enough alcohol in you that you'll catch a buzz after a couple pints.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Armitag3 posted:

For shame. Not a Weisse mit Schuss?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

I’ve defaulted to Berliner Pilsner most days but when in Potsdam be a Potsdamer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

SkyeAuroline posted:

Sounds like your IT is behind by an entire generation because Single Sign-On services have been a thing for a while now.