Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Abrahammurabic religion

I prefer Abraham Benrubi religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Kull wahad!!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

cptn_dr posted:

As the good book says, “Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here.'"

Circumcisions for everyone!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay I should be over in the romance thread but this summary is too good not to share (mock):

quote:

A DARK MISTRESS BECAME HIS DESTINY

Plucked from the depths of hell, former military sniper Reno Manchahi was hired by the government to kill a thief, but he had a mission of his own. Descended from a family of shape-shifters, Reno vowed to get the revenge he'd thirsted for all these years. But his assignment went awry when his target turned out to be a powerful seductress, a woman who risked everything to fight a potent evil.

They had a combustible connection, yet he struggled to reveal the truth about himself--his Apache upbringing, his Jaguar pride, his death plot. Soon, Reno had to transform himself into a true hero, accept this new love and conquer the enemy that threatened them all. He had to become a Warrior for the Light….

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Goddamn that's a lot of words that collectively say exactly nothing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Goddamn that's a lot of words that collectively say exactly nothing.

Listen the cover is this:

so I know I'm in for a good time :getin:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Listen the cover is this:

so I know I'm in for a good time :getin:

AUTHOR NAME
(book title)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

HopperUK posted:

AUTHOR NAME
(book title)

To be fair - as reluctant as I'm feeling about defending that - this was Harlequin/Silhouette launching a new line, it's literally numbered #1 on the spine, so it makes sense from a marketing perspective to advertise a previously established romance author to draw in that audience to their new line.

I may or may not be on a personal quest to own all 294 books in the line (it closed down, sadly). I fuckin' love the genre and here's a delightful collectathon. :allears:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay I should be over in the romance thread but this summary is too good not to share (mock):

gently caress yes

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Every book on a best sci-fi releases: may list

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That synopsis feels like a mad lib

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Has anyone here read the other books by QNTM, the author of thread darling (and very good book) There Is No Antimemetics Division? I just now learned that they've written other things, and the pitch for Ra in particular looks interesting:

quote:

Magic is real.

Discovered in the 1970s, magic is now a bona fide field of engineering. There's magic in heavy industry and magic in your home. It's what's next after electricity.

Student mage Laura Ferno has designs on the future: her mother died trying to reach space using magic, and Laura wants to succeed where she failed. But first, she has to work out what went wrong. And who her mother really was.

And whether, indeed, she's dead at all...

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

Soon, Reno had to transform himself into a true hero, accept this new love and conquer the enemy that threatened them all. He had to become a Warrior for the Light….

Holy poo poo, he's a Guardian.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

As the good book says, “Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here.'"

I know with absolute 100% certainty that somebody in this thread will be able to answer the question of whether Herbert ever specified if the fremen are cut or not

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The foreskin helps form a seal around the urine collection system.

actually google tells me they are circumcised but I can't be bothered to find a citation

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

I think I'm going to mock you for wanting to read it.

Mock.

Mock mock mock.

Mock mock.

Mock.

Because dear god, "paranormal romance" is a genre that would raise no complaints if it showed up at a book burning. It's all terrible and it's incredibly likely to turn into a candid display of the author's personal fetishes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Seconding this. Got it yesterday, read it yesterday. Fun book. Nice change of pace when the protag has the option of going through all the usual fantasy bullshit, but instead goes "gently caress THAT" and hauls rear end to the most peaceful place he can find. There's also an attack chicken. What more reason do you need?

Thirding this. It's like reading someone play Stardew Valley. I'm just so happy for everyone. :3:

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Kestral posted:

Has anyone here read the other books by QNTM, the author of thread darling (and very good book) There Is No Antimemetics Division? I just now learned that they've written other things, and the pitch for Ra in particular looks interesting:

I didn't like RA, and frankly it put me off reading anything longer than a short story from QNTM ever again. If you were hooked by the 'space magic' lead, too bad, it's a tiny fraction of the book. It spends the entire front half being very obscure and disjointed on purpose, and what tries to tie it together is a series of deus ex machina.
When it started to explain itself, at each twist i was just waiting for one of these 'geniuses' to do something dumb, or forget how magic works all of a sudden, to allow the clowning to continue. The ending, in particular, left an unpleasantly Yudkowski-ish aftertaste on my palate. Did you think i was putting together all the parts for a happy ending, which the genius main character would figure out at the last minute? No! gently caress you! Strong AI are too smart and will just wreck whatever you do! Serve the Machine, or scavenge for what scraps it ignores.

I get that it was trying to make some points about grief and obsession and AI, uploading, reality, and all that transhumanism 101 crap, but the way it went at it felt very internet rationalist to me, and uuuugh.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Jedit posted:

Mock.

Mock mock mock.

Mock mock.

Mock.

Because dear god, "paranormal romance" is a genre that would raise no complaints if it showed up at a book burning. It's all terrible and it's incredibly likely to turn into a candid display of the author's personal fetishes.

What an incredibly weird and judgy post. I think I’m going to go reread Nalini Singh just to spite you.

edit: i mean yeah paranormal romance is a wish-fulfillment fantasy. but i tried 1632 after seeing some recs in this thread and it definitely also was that, but I didn’t see anyone making posts like this for people who wanted to read that stuff

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 8, 2022

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Jedit posted:

Mock.

Mock mock mock.

Mock mock.

Mock.

We have a legendary vanilla people, can we get an exotic to spawn

to be clear i think this is a dick post you have made right here. i may not be its biggest fan but i support the genre's right to exist, jesus gently caress

bookburnings?

weird post, man.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Some people just enjoy powerful wish-fulfilment protagonists who can take fourteen werewolves.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
it’s actually pretty rare for romance novels to feature multiple lovers — usually you have the main couple, and they might have exes, but very rarely will they have sex with anybody else

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kesper North posted:

We have a legendary vanilla people, can we get an exotic to spawn

to be clear i think this is a dick post you have made right here. i may not be its biggest fan but i support the genre's right to exist, jesus gently caress

bookburnings?

weird post, man.

Not as weird as people not recognising that hyperbole is mankind's greatest achievement.

That said, I feel pressed to remind you that the best known author in the paranormal romance genre wrote a series of books that ended with the protagonist marrying her stepbrother. It's the kind of thing that gives SF&F fans a bad name.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Jedit posted:

Not as weird as people not recognising that hyperbole is mankind's greatest achievement.

That said, I feel pressed to remind you that the best known author in the paranormal romance genre wrote a series of books that ended with the protagonist marrying her stepbrother. It's the kind of thing that gives SF&F fans a bad name.

i feel pressed to remind you that you're being a dick, let people enjoy things or present some reasoned damned thought. specifically invoking 'bookburnings' is a little excessive even for hyperbole

dare i say inflammatory, even :dadjoke:

are bookburnings a regular thing for you? i can't say i'd even know what WOULD cause comment at a bookburning, having never attended one myself

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

Honestly there's a line from Dune about religion that has legit stuck with me for years after first reading it:

quote:

Religion must remain an outlet for people who say to themselves, "I am not the kind of person I want to be".

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Hey thread, I published a new adult fantasy novel that's set in a world where everyone is born with the magical ability to manipulate emotions.

Rahelu, the main POV character, is 17 and just graduated from magic school. She needs to survive a gruelling interview process in order to get a job...so it's basically Shark Tank meets The Apprentice, fantasy edition.

rohan and a friendly penguin were two of my beta readers and I'm reasonably certain that they both enjoyed it. Also, from the KU thread:

Beefeater1980 posted:

Re Petition: just downloaded this and prologue and ch1 are strong; I’m interested enough to read the rest.

Which lifts it above 90% of KU fiction.

E: enjoying the hunter rehearsing her resumé like a jaded millenial.

On sale until the end of July 14 for $1.99 USD (or approx for non-US folks) and free to read if you have Kindle Unlimited:
https://amazon.com/dp/B0B2SGJG8H

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

I will have to remind myself to read this over jaguar pride week.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Fumblemouse posted:

I will have to remind myself to read this over jaguar pride week.

That's the one with a parade in Jacksonville, right?

Also, I cannot keep from reading the protagonist's last name as Mariachi, which doesn't help with the confusion.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jedit posted:

Mock.

Mock mock mock.

Mock mock.

Mock.

Dude, did a pnr eat your pet or something? They’re fun wish fulfillment and often horny and it’s great. I love romance novels and vampires and it’s a genre that mixes the best of both worlds.

I’m not going to argue that romance is high art, it’s not the Citizen Kane of the book world, but lots of people would be sad if it went.

PS I read a buttload of pnr and have no idea what “popular author wrote a stepbrother marrying” you’re talking about. And honestly even if I did it doesn’t matter. Lady wants to write and sell weird incest more power to her. Incest is something I avoid but as kinks go it’s harmless as long as it stays fictional.

PPS Also fwiw pnr has been on the decline in the last decade. Not as much new stuff out there, and Harlequin ended the Nocturne line. Which makes me sad, but romance genre booms come and go.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Jedit posted:

Mock.

Mock mock mock.

Mock mock.

Mock.

What a terrible post. Book burning "hyperbole" aside, "it's all terrible" is a lovely take for any genre.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

PS I read a buttload of pnr and have no idea what “popular author wrote a stepbrother marrying” you’re talking about.

Charlaine Harris in her Harper Connelly series, although they're not themselves in the genre. Also I was blocking Twilight when I called her the best known paranormal romance author.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

freebooter posted:

I know with absolute 100% certainty that somebody in this thread will be able to answer the question of whether Herbert ever specified if the fremen are cut or not

It's not quite on target, and it doesn't come from Herbert himself, but the Dune Encyclopedia states that the Fremen learn to orgasm without producing any emission. To save water, of course.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jedit posted:

Charlaine Harris in her Harper Connelly series, although they're not themselves in the genre. Also I was blocking Twilight when I called her the best known paranormal romance author.

Going to ignore the rest of my post, huh?

Have some really :goonsay: opinions: Charlaine Harris writes urban fantasy (and YA mysteries, it looks like! I'll have to check them out!), not paranormal romance. PNR as a genre differs from urban fantasy by focusing more on romance - and yes, sex, you're more likely to get sex in a PNR - and by having a couple get together by the end of the book. UF is more broad, and while it may have romance, those tend to be stretched out over multiple books and plot remains The focus. Kate Daniels is a great example of UF here - there's a romance with a were-lion but it takes multiple books for them to do more than flirt.

Twilight, meanwhile, is YA so it has different priorities entirely. There is a romance, there is a plot focus, but it hews closer to YA trends. I personally hate its guts but it did get more people writing vampire fiction so I'll give it that. And only that.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Some people just enjoy powerful wish-fulfilment protagonists who can take fourteen werewolves.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

StrixNebulosa posted:

Why are you getting in a fight over a post that you admit was purposefully posted in the wrong thread.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Incest is something I avoid but as kinks go it’s harmless as long as it stays fictional.

Please go talk about this somewhere else, christ.

EDIT: wait, you are the mod of E/N? Go put your 'Harmless fictional incest thread' there.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
“I want to kill fourteen people” - fantasy of the deranged, no careers available, even the army won’t take you

“I want to have sex with fourteen werewolves” - you can get paid to do this, possible lucrative onlyfans income, self actualizing, good conversation starter

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

General Battuta posted:

“I want to kill fourteen people” - fantasy of the deranged, no careers available, even the army won’t take you

“I want to have sex with fourteen werewolves” - you can get paid to do this, possible lucrative onlyfans income, self actualizing, good conversation starter

I dunno. I can think of quite a few writers who specialize in catering to the "I want to kill lots of people" fantasy -- see the entire "men's adventure" genre, for example.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Tezer posted:

Why are you getting in a fight over a post that you admit was purposefully posted in the wrong thread.

Please go talk about this somewhere else, christ.

EDIT: wait, you are the mod of E/N? Go put your 'Harmless fictional incest thread' there.

gently caress off

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Ever felt you are in the wrong genre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Ludmilla Petrushevskaya is the best paranormal romance writer anyway