Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

also Arrivecan is down, which is the app required to fill out to enter Canada. You can no longer enter Canada legally atm lmaoooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

MustardFacial posted:

lmao I think Rogers pulled a Facebook

Holy poo poo there's no way

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why is there only one network provider in Canada, that sounds crazy.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Thanks Ants posted:

There is three I think, it is just they have their own little fiefdoms and Rogers is just the biggest one.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Holy poo poo there's no way

That rules because there will be a bunch of firewalls set to drop bogons and they will need to come back online to update their databases

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

yeah as said, there are 3 main ones and countless smaller one, but Rogers is the biggest, and they're by far the main one back east where most of the population is.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Zil posted:

There is three I think, it is just they have their own little fiefdoms and Rogers is just the biggest one.

Technically there is 6 but SaskTel, Videotron, and Shaw aren't big enough to matter on a notional level (and I'm sure they all use a backbone from one of the big 3 somewhere)

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

It is. It's also as terrible as you think it is. The telecom industry up here is a joke.

There are technically 3 major companies that run everything up here. If they don't directly run the service provider, they lease the lines to the ones you use. However these companies also lease lines to each other so when one major section goes down it takes nearly everything with it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think we'd be quite screwed here if BT managed to blow their network up, but at least their wholesale platform is entirely layer 2 so any connectivity you bought from a backup provider would carry on working, even if it was using their last mile fibre.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Heh, Canada not looking so hot now are y’all :smug:

We’re all hosed eventually anyway :negative:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
just got the good news - i am now officially an it professional

can't wait to hate my job

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It won't take long, but also every other job is also bad and at least in IT you get paid and work in air conditioning

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Welcome to the fold. Do your best to have a not poo poo chair to spend your days.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

George H.W. oval office posted:

Heh, Canada not looking so hot now are y’all :smug:

We’re all hosed eventually anyway :negative:

This sums up Canada pretty well:

https://twitter.com/edwardrow/status/1545430246798786560

tokin opposition posted:

The more you care about doing a good job the quicker you will come to hating it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

This sums up Canada pretty well:

https://twitter.com/CRTCeng/status/1545421218534359041

(for yanks, the CRTC is our FCC)

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

lmao

hoisted by your own petard

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You'd hope that the outcome of this is a solid RFO and an emphasis on eliminating failure points so that customers taking service from more than one provider are actually getting resilient services. Better to find out now than having it kicked off by some sort of emergency.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

Hey, congrats! That's big news! It's not a bad industry, we're just all old.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

You'd hope that the outcome of this is a solid RFO and an emphasis on eliminating failure points so that customers taking service from more than one provider are actually getting resilient services. Better to find out now than having it kicked off by some sort of emergency.

better things aren't possible

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Boomer grocery store check writers immensely smug right now

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

Boomer grocery store cheque writers immensely smug right now

ftfy :canada:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

we're just all old.

Exqueeze me

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

For those of us not old, we often make up for it with our propensity to be jaded.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Exqueeze me

I have to take heartburn meds every day. My soccer injuries hurt when I get out of bed! I feel old!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I slept on the wrong pillow and my neck hurt for 3 days.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Thanks Ants posted:

Canada has a smaller population than Poland but with a land mass roughly equivalent to the US. This makes our overall population density very low and in turn the ROI for creating a national telecommunication backbone is basically not worth it for any company. Combine that with a regulatory agency that lacks both the will and the tools to affect any real change, and a democratic system that emphasizes "vote for the mediocre party so the bad one doesn't get in" and you end up with an environment where a big enough company can pretty much run rough shot across the population and literally nobody can stop them.

The Big 3 telecom providers have hand-shake deals with each other to make what is basically the most transparent price-fixing scheme on the planet. They don't even try to hide it, and there is nothing anyone can do about it because the CRTC won't allow non-Canadian companies to enter the market, it simply costs too much for smaller players to build their own backbones, and the medium size players just get bought by the Big 3.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

So, uh, surely there are some smart people working on a next-gen BGP that is idiot proof, right?

Apocryphal quote posted:

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Had a meeting with my manager today and was basically told "if you can't handle this position you should look for another job". Good thing I have a video interview lined up for Monday and applications out there for two other internal transfers. This basically confirms they want me gone and aren't going to replace me when I'm gone.

Oh well, at least I got that shitshow of a meeting done early today.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

also Arrivecan is down, which is the app required to fill out to enter Canada. You can no longer enter Canada legally atm lmaoooooooo

You got lucky this time, if i can't get into canada, i can't kill you.

Well played rogers.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

tokin opposition posted:

Congrats!

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
lol, lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRNcdYejaqw

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

A masterpiece.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

benny_hill_sax.mp3

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
lmao bgp is hard

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Got called out by my boss today in our half-year checkin review for walking the dog a little too much during teams meetings where I don’t have to really contribute. Not a problem normally, but I made a poor choice to do so during a meeting involving my boss’ boss a couple of weeks ago and he wanted cameras on.

Oh well gently caress it, my boss doesn’t care as long as poo poo get done and he doesn’t have to hear about it anymore.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

daddy cloudflare has noticed us

https://blog.cloudflare.com/cloudflares-view-of-the-rogers-communications-outage-in-canada/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

devmd01 posted:

Got called out by my boss today in our half-year checkin review for walking the dog a little too much during teams meetings where I don’t have to really contribute. Not a problem normally, but I made a poor choice to do so during a meeting involving my boss’ boss a couple of weeks ago and he wanted cameras on.

Oh well gently caress it, my boss doesn’t care as long as poo poo get done and he doesn’t have to hear about it anymore.

I feel extremely confident that somebody walking their dog is paying more attention than the majority of employees sitting at their computer, even in an on-site meeting.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

One can only hope the very public nature of the issue makes then actually say what went wrong. I know it wont happen, but I can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ChubbyThePhat posted:

One can only hope the very public nature of the issue makes then actually say what went wrong. I know it wont happen, but I can dream.

It would be nice but this is Canada, absolutely not lol