Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

BrideOfUglycat posted:

He tried once to implement natural consequences (No timesheet, no pay) that most other businesses use and there was such a hue and cry over it (from the people who didn't turn in their timesheets) that it was decided to just estimate for payroll.

Pretty sure this is illegal. You don't gently caress with people's pay like that, it could have pretty big consequences for their ability to pay their bills, even if they are bad at getting their timesheets in on time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Super Waffle posted:

At a former employer I had three different SSOs

Holy poo poo lol

Either those guys have no idea what they are doing, or it was holdover from 2 previous mergers? There's still not much excuse if it was merger holdover, because most SSO platforms use the same standards and are interoperable (you can set one SSO platform to log users into others via SSO)

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

We use Okta for SSO and Workday for timesheets.

Super easy and simple. Works great.

Mistayke fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 8, 2022

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I was told that I may not have access to the time clock feature of our HR software for up to two weeks. Not sure how I am going to be paid for my training if this is the case. Have been emailing my manager so I have a paper trail of when I clock in and out.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Machai posted:

Pretty sure this is illegal. You don't gently caress with people's pay like that, it could have pretty big consequences for their ability to pay their bills, even if they are bad at getting their timesheets in on time.

If pay is so loving important maybe it's important enough to submit a timesheet once a week. It is illegal but until you tell me your hours I honestly don't know how much I need to pay you.

Since you have to estimate and there's no evidence that any work occured 5 hours is a reasonable estimate, and when you tell me how much you're owed I'll pay you what you're owed.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Outrail posted:

If pay is so loving important maybe it's important enough to submit a timesheet once a week. It is illegal but until you tell me your hours I honestly don't know how much I need to pay you.

Since you have to estimate and there's no evidence that any work occured 5 hours is a reasonable estimate, and when you tell me how much you're owed I'll pay you what you're owed.

I'm owed :20bux: please pay up

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Outrail posted:

I thought this question was about the SALARIED people not getting paid because they didn't report their hours, which are irrelevant to their pay because they are SALARIED.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They always threaten us with not getting paid too but like, we’re a paycheck ahead so unless poo poo gets messed up severely over a whole month, we’ll still get paid.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Motronic posted:

I thought this question was about the SALARIED people not getting paid because they didn't report their hours, which are irrelevant to their pay because they are SALARIED.

Yeah, that's dumb as hell. It's HR and billing bitching at eachother and dumping the employee in the middle. Unless there's overtime owed and final invoices need to be sent out and suddenly it turns into a giant headache.

I appealed to my employee's magpie brain and put up a chart with time periods. First one to submit gets you a shiny gold star, everyone else gets a silver star, if you're late you get a red unhappy face.

Five gold stars without an unhappy face means I buy you a drink. Now the biggest magpie sends out the timesheet reminders to the rest of the magpies with 'and mine's done gold star please' tacked on the end. Progress.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
IT changed the icons for all our in-house programs. I do not know why they did this, but I want to set them on fire. No, the programs themselves weren't updated.

Yes, the programs still have the names under them* but it's loving with everyone's work process. All the old icons were very Windows 3.1 in appearance, but you could move to any workstation and see which program you needed to open instantly, no matter how the regular user had set poo poo up.

We were told there was going to be an update, but didn't realise how pointless and stupid it was going to be.

* except for the ones on our lovely ipads. They have the new icons and no text :eng99:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Withholding salaries would probably get you in trouble but there are salaried cases where you can have time sheets affecting their pay. Like if you're one of the 50 remaining salaried non exempt positions left or if you have bonus structures for billable time goals.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

zedprime posted:

Withholding salaries would probably get you in trouble but there are salaried cases where you can have time sheets affecting their pay. Like if you're one of the 50 remaining salaried non exempt positions left or if you have bonus structures for billable time goals.

Withholding base salary is still going to get you in a world of poo poo if it's general practice, you've admitted to it, and someone has enough money for a decent lawyer.

E: if you need time sheet for billing customers or producing reports or whatever and your employee(s) aren't doing it make sure it's part of their job description, well communicated, and then PIP them for not doing THEIR JOB. You still have to pay them, but you can and shoud start building a case to fire them for not doing their job. See, it's actually not all that hard to follow labor/employment law. It's just more effort than "doing whatever the hell you want".

Motronic fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 8, 2022

naem
May 29, 2011

I’ve been involved in payroll before and a company that had a lot of temp agency employees would have a temp clock in on day one, work for an hour, walk off the job, no one noticed, and stay clocked in 24/7 for a week at double time pay

the managers refused to look at time and there would be multiple instances of this at thousands of dollars lost if paid out and some had to go clean it up for them

they’d rehire any temp that quit and I’m pretty sure several got away with big checks for no pay repeatedly

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Motronic posted:

Withholding base salary is still going to get you in a world of poo poo if it's general practice, you've admitted to it, and someone has enough money for a decent lawyer.

E: if you need time sheet for billing customers or producing reports or whatever and your employee(s) aren't doing it make sure it's part of their job description, well communicated, and then PIP them for not doing THEIR JOB. You still have to pay them, but you can and shoud start building a case to fire them for not doing their job. See, it's actually not all that hard to follow labor/employment law. It's just more effort than "doing whatever the hell you want".
I agree admitting it is the ops main problem. I would simply have a policy that says delayed timesheet entry signs you up for quarterly payroll.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

My job is going back to the office soon after 2+ years of WFH.

Oh, except the boss, who moved to Cape Cod and will be working from home forever while the rest of us take turns giving each other covid.

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong

Argyle posted:

My job is going back to the office soon after 2+ years of WFH.

Oh, except the boss, who moved to Cape Cod and will be working from home forever while the rest of us take turns giving each other covid.

I love it! Does this mean you're looking for a new position now? I don't think I'd be able to go back into an office after being WFH for that long.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

no_tears posted:

I love it! Does this mean you're looking for a new position now? I don't think I'd be able to go back into an office after being WFH for that long.

My work did that and lost around 50-60% of their senior and manager level accountants.

Still can't fill some of those positions 6 months later.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

no_tears posted:

I don't think I'd be able to go back into an office after being WFH for that long.

Some of us don't get to write our own terms of employment and have to put in actual effort to get hired, it's not as easy as "yeah I'm gonna walk, also I'm gonna be fine on bills until I find something and have no problems getting health care with no insurance".

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong

satanic splash-back posted:

My work did that and lost around 50-60% of their senior and manager level accountants.

Still can't fill some of those positions 6 months later.

I believe it. Current employer did the same thing for finance/accounting and are still struggling to fill roles. Pretty wild..

SkyeAuroline posted:

Some of us don't get to write our own terms of employment and have to put in actual effort to get hired, it's not as easy as "yeah I'm gonna walk, also I'm gonna be fine on bills until I find something and have no problems getting health care with no insurance".

Clearly this individual is in a profession that's fully capable of being worked from home, so they get to "write their own terms of employment" as you said. Not sure why this is being taken beyond face value of the simple question.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Anyone got experience with Kanban boards? Cause all I can get from it is it’s a glorified to-do list that is needlessly complicated and sends out email alerts to annoy everyone.

naem
May 29, 2011

ChickenDoodle posted:

Anyone got experience with Kanban boards? Cause all I can get from it is it’s a glorified to-do list that is needlessly complicated and sends out email alerts to annoy everyone.

it’s a thing middle management execs can point to in meetings angrily

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The Corporate Comms people have been spending a buttload on putting TVs that play announcements throughout the building. Since they're also technical idiots, they gave us a bunch of access so we can troubleshoot them when they inevitably fail...

... Or do poo poo like today when the LAN poo poo the bed in the building (Wifi still worked) and we put an announcement on all the TVS saying the outage is a known thing being worked on so stop walking to the IT area like you expect us to fix you right this second.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Last year, Scabsy was complaining a lot about her daughter's boyfriend. She vouched for him to get him a well-paid job at a tool and die manufacturer, where he proceeded to call out multiple times in the first week and get fired.

This year she convinced our boss to hire him on as one of the outdoor seasonal workers. Mowing grass, cleaning up fallen trees from parks, etc.

When he filled out his direct deposit paperwork, on the form field that said "enter a dollar amount, or 'NET' to deposit the full amount", he wrote the words, "dollar amount". He also wrote down his own name and address, rather than that of the bank, and put his account number down as the routing number (he left the account number portion blank).

He drove a 10k+ lawn mower (lawn tractor? zero turn? I don't go outside, all I know is what the bill was) over some kind of access pipe for a gas line, breaking it. I am unclear on the actual details of this incident, as it was being related by a semi-coherent old man. The gist seemed to be damage to utility infrastructure at a campground as well as damage to a mower.

They let him get back on a different, equally expensive mower at the racetrack for some reason, where he proceeded to drive over a tow cable. I believe the people who were there who said it was a steel tow cable, but I do not believe that it was four inches thick as they indicated with their hands. I don't think they make steel tow cables that big. I also believe the 16 year old girls he was working with, who said it happened because he won't get off his phone. I don't know how much time a 19 year old has to spend on his phone for 16 year old girls to say that he spends too much time looking at his phone.

He is not allowed to use anything but a weed whacker from now on.

Scabsy insists that these were all honest mistakes that could happen to anyone, and that the phone thing is a managerial issue because the senior laborer should be forcing him to leave his phone in his car. Scabsy has also spent two weeks hectoring me about how, even though this young man did not tell anyone what he was doing and did not in any way record that he was doing something work related, he should be getting paid for more time on a day when his timesheet said he was late to work, because he was doing something work-related. Getting her to understand that we would need some kind of signed documentation, literally anything at all, even just a post-it with a time and date and our boss' signature, was like pulling teeth. He's going to end up getting it because it's only $6 pre-tax and who gives a poo poo, but that just makes the amount of my time she has wasted demanding answers about his net $4.56 more galling.

He is unlikely to be fired, because our boss would rather just make him pick up rocks until the season ends than listen to Scabsy complain about him being fired.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I've got a machine operator who was on the verge of getting fired for attendance when he loudly proclaimed he didn't need us any more and quit for a 'much better job' down the road at my brother's steel mill.

He lasted 6 months before it got really hot, trying coming back and HR inexplicably reoffered him and he has already called in on his second day.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Super Waffle posted:

No, you had one MSO.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

naem posted:

it’s a thing middle management execs can point to in meetings angrily

Yeah, that’s what I thought. Don’t know what I’m expected to do with it, I’m literally an editor who works when I get work. Oh well. More bullshit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ChickenDoodle posted:

Yeah, that’s what I thought. Don’t know what I’m expected to do with it, I’m literally an editor who works when I get work. Oh well. More bullshit.

To be fair it's a very useful work/project management system for very specific types of work that has become a buzzworded so it's getting misapplied to things it's not even remotely good for by people who don't understand how it actually works using software made by people who also don't understand how it's supposed to work.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Super Waffle posted:

I worked at a tech place that had an SSO (Active Directory) and then another one for the Linux touchers that understood SSH public keys.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I need more cold room space and more kegs if I'm gonna be able to get any real production out of this brewery. But OTOH less work. Although I wish that the restaurant people would clean up the loving cold room. There was a puddle of beer across the entire floor from Friday to the following Monday because "they were busy". I get that tending bar on a crowded night can get hectic, but you're telling me you couldn't drag a loving mop across the floor for a few seconds before it coagulated into a sticky mass that's much harder to clean up later? You could always do an invitatial quick clean, then come back later to do things more thoroughly. And you cannot convince me you were slammed Sunday evening.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Everett False posted:

He is unlikely to be fired, because our boss would rather just make him pick up rocks until the season ends than listen to Scabsy complain about him being fired.

Lol that owns. One time pushing carts I began yelling at a new guy to put away his phone. He began to assure me not to worry he was almost done with his call, to which I replied I didn’t care but the hardass manager who I just spotted walking out of the building might care a lot.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ChickenDoodle posted:

I have a kanban board for my department to help us manage all ~40 people. Ive never looked at it once and never had task management issues, so I think its working.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

We have kanban boards in our production facilities, and they work very well there.

Someone got the bright idea to make the sales functions have daily (virtual) stand ups and it pasted two days before the only attendee was the manager, they were completely pointless

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ChickenDoodle posted:

Kanban is pretty good because it makes you do things with what you have in progress. I’m not saying your workplace is doing it well but generally it’s a decent process if you find you tend to pull loads of things to in progress and not complete them.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Escape From Noise posted:

I need more cold room space and more kegs if I'm gonna be able to get any real production out of this brewery. But OTOH less work. Although I wish that the restaurant people would clean up the loving cold room. There was a puddle of beer across the entire floor from Friday to the following Monday because "they were busy". I get that tending bar on a crowded night can get hectic, but you're telling me you couldn't drag a loving mop across the floor for a few seconds before it coagulated into a sticky mass that's much harder to clean up later? You could always do an invitatial quick clean, then come back later to do things more thoroughly. And you cannot convince me you were slammed Sunday evening.

I don’t know how attached you are to living in Japan, but there are frequently brewing jobs coming up in New Zealand. The industry is (mostly) a bit nicer and more collegial. The brewers guild website has job postings and might be worth keeping an eye on if you’re in a position to move. https://www.brewersguild.org.nz/careers/jobs/

There’s still plenty of comedy and shitfuckery here, but I have a pretty good time, by and large. I’m at a medium sized craft brewery in Wellington, making good beers and silly beers.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Shithouse Dave posted:

I don’t know how attached you are to living in Japan, but there are frequently brewing jobs coming up in New Zealand. The industry is (mostly) a bit nicer and more collegial. The brewers guild website has job postings and might be worth keeping an eye on if you’re in a position to move. https://www.brewersguild.org.nz/careers/jobs/

There’s still plenty of comedy and shitfuckery here, but I have a pretty good time, by and large. I’m at a medium sized craft brewery in Wellington, making good beers and silly beers.

Oooo, do a beer collaboration! :allears:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Escape From Noise posted:

Refuse to clean it and insist restaurant staff clean it before new product can be placed in the cold room. gently caress those people that make horrible messes for others to clean up.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Bitching about this poo poo in the wrong thread, bringing it home. My boss is a very nice person who is cheap as poo poo which works when you’re starting a machine shop in your garage but it doesn’t loving scale. Quote is me from the cons/scams thread.

Fake edit: I’m responding to “take their access away, see if they notice.”

quote:

I debated this but every account on the network is effectively admin. Also I kept getting MalwareBytes hits on production libraries. “Oh, that’s the DLL that pretends to be a copy protect dongle.”

Also our source control is a bunch of unlabeled flash drives. Also also we need loving 3.5” floppies to put programs on our 4 of our ancient rear end CNC lathes and I’m down to one working disk.

FFUUCCKK

Thanks for coming to my TED talk on how not to run the IT side of a machine shop.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I have a box in a drawer somewhere if you need some.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

They’re probably in better shape than the ones that have been floating around the machine shop for 10+ years.

Pro tip: steel reacts magnetically and there are a shitload of steel particles floating around, being a machine shop and all.

^^ To respond specifically to you: thanks but gently caress no, if we have a work stoppage because we run out of floppy disks then I will laugh as bossman goes on eBay to source more. I will also cry as I have to use the loving BOOT FLOPPY on our slightly more ancient lathe to move programs around.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I might even have some 5.25" somewhere.