Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1545649717723504643

Edit:

Interesting claim.

https://twitter.com/liveuamap/status/1545717692912615424

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Sure looking like those predictions that 'the west' was about to tire of supporting ukraine were grounded in nothing at all.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

As much as living to see all Russian leadership and propagandists get Chaushesku'd is one of my reasons to live, a chance to piss in Putin's pool is also good (would settle for any of his friends' villas)

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

I’m not a military guy but that crater looks really huge for a missile designed to hit aircraft and not bust bunkers?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Saladman posted:

I’m not a military guy but that crater looks really huge for a missile designed to hit aircraft and not bust bunkers?

older s300s had 200-350lb warheads

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That doesn't seem super plausible to me if that's supposed to be the crater, it's incredibly deep and steep-walled and kinda looks like whatever did it penetrated quite a bit into the ground before exploding, which a thin-skinned AA missile definitely could not do

I love these lol. Straight into my veins.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 9, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Herstory Begins Now posted:

older s300s had 200-350lb warheads

The missile itself also had the weight of a medium sized car. That's a lot of kinetic energy when it hits you at 5.8 mach, and if there's any unburned rocket fuel that'll add to the destruction.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/ArbiterOfTweets/status/1545651614253555712

https://twitter.com/ArbiterOfTweets/status/1545674709861371904

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

fatherboxx posted:

As much as living to see all Russian leadership and propagandists get Chaushesku'd is one of my reasons to live, a chance to piss in Putin's pool is also good (would settle for any of his friends' villas)

There's a handful of italians out there that briefly got to be in total control of Putin's yacht. Imagine.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

British tabloids are loving trash and it's basically the default assumption here that they falsify _everything_

The other papers never should have ran with it, especially since it was the Daily Star which is so loving bottom tier you can't even wipe your butt with it, lest the ink stains you.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

It could be an unplanned ground to ground strike

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

British tabloids are loving trash and it's basically the default assumption here that they falsify _everything_

The other papers never should have ran with it, especially since it was the Daily Star which is so loving bottom tier you can't even wipe your butt with it, lest the ink stains you.
Yeah it was funny to laugh at but was obviously 100% BS

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
"Beast from the East! Panicking Putin..." remains an incredible intro

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah, but NY Post is also trash, so...

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

This Russian-made video claims to show a Tochka U missile launch but was quickly deleted.

https://twitter.com/KremlinTrolls/status/1545771767574269954

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Are the British tabloids like the National Enquirer?

What I mean by that is with US tabloids, there is not even the presumption that they are trying but are just sloppy bad journalists who are careless and frequently get things wrong, we don't give US supermarket tabloids even THAT low level of credibility. Stuff like the enquirer is understood by nearly everyone to be completely made up horseshit that you only buy to read batboy stories for entertainment. And the once a decade time when they think they somehow have a real scoop, they make a big deal about it and release statements that this time they are actually doing for real, no kidding around journalism.

Is it the same with British tabloids, or are they not presumed to be 100% made-up bullshit?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rigel posted:

Is it the same with British tabloids, or are they not presumed to be 100% made-up bullshit?

British tabloids have incredibly high noise, but they’re also fairly well connected and have some sleuths that hold nothing saint on staff, which makes for a very annoying to parse media environment. This specific story though didn’t require a university degree in reading British press to be discarded as obvious bollocks.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Rigel posted:

They are totally quality magazines and not screaming right wing hacks

https://twitter.com/DailyMailUK/status/1545152477309304832

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
My favourite genre of tabloid articles right now is reposting General SVR from telegram. Just complete unsubstantiated nonsense. This guy says he's actually a high-ranking officer, but posts incognito on telegram how Putin is about to die of cancer and also be murdered in his sleep by the unseen anti-war fraction of the elites. Must be true.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nenonen posted:

They are totally quality magazines and not screaming right wing hacks

The Daily Mail is an interesting example for the nuances of British Media, because despite being hyper partisan and willing to publish nonsense opinion screeds they're simultanously known for the best investigative journalism among British newspapers. They were also squeaky clean when the phone hacking scandal came out.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I don't read the UK newspapers any more but the closest you could get to reliability would be the Financial Times as it's for the "rich/elite" section of the population and contains a lesser amount of poo poo than the rest.

Saying that, i lost trust in the industry due to the Milly Dowler case.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1545732264453177345?t=BpalxQ4hyHjT06oaEn2_7A&s=19

The UA not evacuating this nursing home before using it as a defensive position sounds awful.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Not So Fast posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1545732264453177345?t=BpalxQ4hyHjT06oaEn2_7A&s=19

The UA not evacuating this nursing home before using it as a defensive position sounds awful.

My brother is a journalist who is pretty well connected within Ukraine and Russia and he showed me photos of UA parking tanks / armored vehicles in defensive positions next to playgrounds and residential areas with people living in them.

UA is not RF but some of their tactics are extremely questionable.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Just Another Lurker posted:

I don't read the UK newspapers any more but the closest you could get to reliability would be the Financial Times as it's for the "rich/elite" section of the population and contains a lesser amount of poo poo than the rest.

Saying that, i lost trust in the industry due to the Milly Dowler case.

There are a few options with newspapers. If you want factual daily news (i.e., ignore opinion columns and editorials) – the Guardian, Financial Times, and the Times all do a decent job. On the weekly side of things, there's the Week and the Economist (just remember that it's run by free market liberal George Smiley types). Private Eye is also useful, if you can stomach the style.

A step down the “pragmatic reliability” ladder would be going into publications like the Independent (insane clickbait), or New Statesman/the Specator/Prospect (partisanship as editorial policy). We're still ignoring opinion columns and editorials here.

Here come the editorials and opinion columns. It's a shitshow across the board, that can easily make NYT and WSJ pale, and I would avail a limited exception merely to the FT and the Economist. For the latter, repeating the economy caveat, and mentioning that they were nakedly partisan at many turns of Brexit, notably the AZ vaccine spate. A good example of crappy can get it get – New Statesman is supposed to be centre-left progressive, but their columns are a full-on TERF parade with Julie Bindel & Co.

After that come the tabloids – the Sun and Daily Mail are the primary two. This is where it's mostly safe to assume that whatever you're reading is at best a pointed political spin, at worst utter fiction. They're read for entertainment, and their investigative hits propagate through the rest of the British newspaper ecosystem relatively quickly.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 9, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Yeah, some of the most obvious stuff was storing MLRS inside malls (at least the mall apperaed to be emptied out), firing artillery from schoolyards, and Mariupol apartment buildings being chock full of ATGM troops. Occupying difficult urban terrain with weaponry is just the thing to do when defending cities, but man, you're supposed to ALSO evac the civilians out of there.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Nenonen posted:

Tangentially related to Ukraine, but we are going to start the global consequences of the WiU. The Sri Lankan president has fled his palace

We will be seeing a lot more destabilization, famines and refugees as this global crises brings already fragile nations to the brink of total economic collapse. All thanks to Vladimir Putin's imperialist dreams Ukraine not ending the war :saddumb:
drat Mr. Putin, drat his eyes, but while he might be indeed responsible for pushing Sri Lanka over the brink, incompetence thanks to nepotism and wretched national administration created the underlying conditions that made them vulnerable in the first place. Sri Lanka was stumbling like a drunkard but yes, Mr. Putin pushed them over and knocked them down.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Was Sri Lanka the place that wanted to get rid of all modern agricultural practices, or was that elsewhere?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Was Sri Lanka the place that wanted to get rid of all modern agricultural practices, or was that elsewhere?

It was Sri Lanka indeed.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

OddObserver posted:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It was Sri Lanka indeed.

What's the story here and to what extend does it reach?
Like did they want to get rid of industrial fertilizer and tight, efficient animal boxes, or did they want to abandon the concept of hoeing the ground?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

Like did they want to get rid of industrial fertilizer and tight, efficient animal boxes, or did they want to abandon the concept of hoeing the ground?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/5/18/a-food-crisis-looms-in-sri-lanka-as-farmers-give-up-on-planting

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

cant cook creole bream posted:

They were running out of cash, and importation of chemical fertilizers was costing a lot. Turns out organic methods suck and aren't a substitute.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

They were running out of cash, and importation of chemical fertilizers was costing a lot. Turns out organic methods suck and aren't a substitute.

They should adopt bitcoin as official tender!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Back to subsistence farming it is then.

I read that they switched to organic because farmers were getting nitrate poisoning... looks like the switch was too sudden and poorly implemented (source was Al Jazeera).

Straw that broke the societies back maybe.

edit to add Al Jazeera.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

WaltherFeng posted:

My brother is a journalist who is pretty well connected within Ukraine and Russia and he showed me photos of UA parking tanks / armored vehicles in defensive positions next to playgrounds and residential areas with people living in them.

UA is not RF but some of their tactics are extremely questionable.

Russia of course does exactly the same poo poo. Phone posting but I have tons of photos of them parking their poo poo in the middle of apartment complexes and what not.

This isn't to excuse it of course, just don't want this to turn into therefore Russia good akshually

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah the nitrate problem was real, and organic fertilizers fertilize, they aren't woo woo horseshit, but you can't just swap overnight and expect farming to adapt. Especially food farming. One might kill people long term, no food will kill lots of people short term. And believe it or not the people farming the food need income.

mobby_6kl posted:

Russia of course does exactly the same poo poo. Phone posting but I have tons of photos of them parking their poo poo in the middle of apartment complexes and what not.

This isn't to excuse it of course, just don't want this to turn into therefore Russia good akshually

Things would be a lot better if we could remove ourselves from the idea of needing an absolute goodie and absolute baddie. Ukraine is in the right despite having some nazis and doing all sorts of questionable, disgusting poo poo. Russia is in the wrong, but doesn't need to be erased from history, its people divided and deported and the whims of the good guys. This poo poo has played out before.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 9, 2022

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Things would be a lot better if we could remove ourselves from the idea of needing an absolute goodie and absolute baddie. Ukraine is in the right despite having some nazis and doing all sorts of questionable, disgusting poo poo. Russia is in the wrong, but doesn't need to be erased from history, its people divided and deported and the whims of the good guys. This poo poo has played out before.

I'm in favor of saying that the defenders might be doing bad things too but they should get a pass while being murdered by Russians.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bel Shazar posted:

I'm in favor of saying that the defenders might be doing bad things too but they should get a pass while being murdered by Russians.

There’s no reason to hand out any passes here. Ukraine is a democratic state, and should simply investigate credible allegations, carrying out justice where due.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1545794251677745153

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 9, 2022

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

There’s no reason to hand out any passes here. Ukraine is a democratic state, and should simply investigate credible allegations, carrying out justice where due.

I dont think the rules of war should apply to the defender while within their borders.

Ukraine laws being applied to Ukrainians... sure, whatever they want to do.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bel Shazar posted:

I dont think the rules of war should apply to the defender while within their borders.

The described scenario shouldn’t be legal in Ukraine, luckily. That said, I’ll have to ask you to excuse war crimes somewhere else, and preferably not at all.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The described scenario shouldn’t be legal in Ukraine, luckily. That said, I’ll have to ask you to excuse war crimes somewhere else, and preferably not at all.

Well now it would not be a war crime in that case, would it? But sure, nothing else to say about it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Bel Shazar posted:

This is a dangerous attitude. It's also not as if the described crimes are the most serious ones imaginable - in a situation like that, the defender may have neglected due diligence or even knowingly endangered civilians, but even lesser infractions should be studied because that way improvements can be made so that in future there would be fewer casualties. That is, if you want to see improvements. What you are promoting is closing eyes from corruption.

e: anyways