Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Your country has shuttered more nuclear plants than it will ever replace with renewables.
At the absolute maximum nuclear provided roughly 30% of power. Renewables currently provide 50% of power.

Apparently it is possible. As it has already happened.

quote:

Sorry man, they are putting those coal plants on standby because they intend to close the last three in some stupid dedication to sheer madness.
They are putting those coal plants on standby because there might be a lack of gas. If there is enough gas, then those coal plants will not be turned on.

quote:

I don't care what they passed, what they've done is have a worse carbon footprint than France next door, and they double down on closing the very things that make France one of the lowest emitters in the EU.
Yes, France is currently and has been better. However, we can't go back into the past and change what has happened. Despite a lot of hurdles thrown in the way by the CDU led coalitions of the last 16 years, Germany has been rapidly catching up and is a lot better than most large industrial countries out there.

quote:

Their goal to decarbonize their energy is now going to be a decade behind because they openly made themselves dependent on Russian gas to enable them to shutter nuclear plants, and here we are and they are reaping it, and there answer is to double down on lignite coal. COAL!
As you continue to ignore, that is something that was caused by the decisions of another governing coalition, and the current coalition is trying to fix that. The current government is not doubling down on coal, but is doubling down on renewables. The previous governing coalitions actively sabotaged not only nuclear, but renewables as well. More coal is being prepared as an emergency measure for this winter. Not another decade.

quote:

At least admit shuttering their last 3 nuclear plants is bad, that's 15% of their total Electricity load. You have to at least admit that.
I have repeatedly said that I personally prefer they would leave them on. However, nuclear currently only provides 5-6% of power. It can't replace coal or gas.
Source: https://strom-report.de/strom/

Oracle posted:

Which portion of that 50% of renewables is wood pellets?
Biomass is roughly 8% of power production. Source: https://strom-report.de/strom/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DTurtle posted:

As you continue to ignore, that is something that was caused by the decisions of another governing coalition, and the current coalition is trying to fix that. The current government is not doubling down on coal, but is doubling down on renewables. More coal is being prepared as an emergency measure for this winter. Not another decade.

It bailed out its coal industry, it VERY much doubled down on coal, regardless of whatever renewables expansion it just passed.

There is no renewables only solution to the problem Germany is trying to solve. They could've kept Nuclear and shuttered Coal/Gas. They did the opposite. What a loving awful plan.

DTurtle posted:

At the absolute maximum nuclear provided roughly 30% of power. Renewables currently provide 50% of power.

On a good day. Remind me again, Germany's not in an energy crisis, is it? It is? Oh.

DTurtle posted:

Yes, France is currently and has been better. However, we can't go back into the past and change what has happened. Despite a lot of hurdles thrown in the way by the CDU led coalitions of the last 16 years, Germany has been rapidly catching up and is a lot better than most large industrial countries out there.

And France will continue to do it better, sorry. Germany's renewables only plan is a joke, and its hilarious to see them double down on something that isn't actually working.

https://twitter.com/E_R_Sepulveda/status/1537048560763641856?s=20&t=oYmsmU3vEXcKCVdKEuN9og

Renewables only have diminishing return. You are burning coal, gas, and wood pellets to make up the difference. Sorry dude, you guys should've kept the nuclear because next to France you guys look like a laughing stock.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 9, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

DTurtle posted:

Germany does not have a large fossil fuel production industry.

Is it not the biggest producer in the world of the type of coal that is pretty much only used in power generation?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DTurtle posted:

Germany does not have a large fossil fuel production industry.

Germany produces more coal than any other country in Europe. The only one that even comes close is Poland. It's #8 for coal production in the world, and produces 28% as much coal as *Russia* while having only 2% of its land area.

Germany has a very significant fossil fuel production industry.

Jaxyon posted:

Is it not the biggest producer in the world of the type of coal that is pretty much only used in power generation?

No, China is bigger. But nobody else is.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

On a good day. Remind me again, Germany's not in an energy crisis, is it? It is? Oh.
Averaged over the last 6 months, nuclear provided 6%, renewables renewables provided 51%.

Germany is not facing an energy crisis because of renewables, but because of gas supply.

CommieGIR posted:

And France will continue to do it better, sorry. Germany's renewables only plan is a joke, and its hilarious to see them double down on something that isn't actually working.
About that:

https://www.energate-messenger.com/news/223699/nuclear-power-plant-problems-make-france-an-electricity-importer posted:

Nuclear power plant problems make France an electricity importer

Paris (energate) - In terms of nuclear power, 2022 will remain a difficult year for the French state-owned company EDF. According to the company, in the first five months its in-house nuclear power production of 134 billion kWh was 15 per cent below that of the same period last year. According to an analysis by the BEE, this gap led to France importing massive amounts of electricity from Germany in the first half of the current year for the first time in a long time. For this purpose, the association analysed data from the Federal Network Agency on electricity import and export patterns between Germany and France.

While Germany always imported between 2 and just under 8 billion kWh from France in the first half of 2015 to 2021, the opposite was true in 2022: France purchased just under 2 billion kWh from Germany in the first six months of the current year. Current data from the transmission grid operator RTE from 5 June also fit into this picture. According to this, the group's nuclear power plants currently cover 55 per cent of the national electricity demand in France. At peak times and with good availability, however, this quota is up to 70 per cent. The BEE also blames this development on the early summer, which has been very hot in parts: "The above-average temperatures have caused the waters in France to warm up. As a result, numerous nuclear power plants in France had to reduce their output because they could no longer cool their reactors down far enough," the association concludes.

EDF: Summer could bring cooling water shortages

Fittingly, EDF recently admitted to media representatives that the expected heat and drought would probably lead to a reduction in nuclear power production due to a lack of cooling water. This is according to the Bloomberg information service. France experienced its first heat wave almost a fortnight ago in June. Regardless of the weather, the French state-owned company continues to struggle with technical problems that force large parts of the 56 French nuclear power plants to undergo overhauls for longer than originally planned. This in turn prompted the company to revise its production forecasts for nuclear power.

Jaxyon posted:

Second largest producer of brown coal/lignite. Most everybody is smart enough to not use brown coal. We unfortunately have a party that is traditionally very close to the coal industry and it therefore still has an outsized influence on everything. Coal production employs roughly 20 thousand people in Germany. Which is why I described it as not significant. At its peak in 2011, the renewable energy industry employed more than 400 thousand people.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 9, 2022

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
next time don't let the US and UK bully you into suicide

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm starting to think we should kinda cut the cables to the German grid and let them handle their own poo poo

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

silence_kit posted:

Hmm, I doubt that that is the reason for it. There probably is a safety reason for doing so. This thread's belief in a global conspiracy against nuclear power is a little nuts.

"It couldn't possibly be that stupid, you must be explaining it wrong!!!11"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

silence_kit posted:

Hmm, I doubt that that is the reason for it. There probably is a safety reason for doing so. This thread's belief in a global conspiracy against nuclear power is a little nuts.

it's not a global conspiracy it's a "silence kit"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Because you are also often wrong. But since you decided to jump in and make assumptions, maybe next time you'll at least bring some evidence. I am fallible as any human source is, but you didn't even bother to make an argument.

It is totally true that nuclear electricity is very expensive electricity.

Here is a link to a report on the cost of electricity in the US in Fall 2021. Look at page 3 of the report. Nuclear electricity is many times the cost of the other technologies. https://www.lazard.com/media/451881/lazards-levelized-cost-of-energy-version-150-vf.pdf

The reason why the US tends to not build new nuclear power plants has nothing to do with a conspiracy against nuclear power, especially by environmentalists. Environmentalists don't really matter in the US. It has everything to do with the fact that nuclear electricity is expensive and is not cost competitive with other electricity generation technologies.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 9, 2022

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

silence_kit posted:

Here is a link to a report on the cost of electricity in the US in Fall 2021. Look at page 3 of the report. Nuclear electricity is many times the cost of the other technologies. https://www.lazard.com/media/451881/lazards-levelized-cost-of-energy-version-150-vf.pdf

The reason why the US tends to not build new nuclear power plants has nothing to do with a conspiracy against nuclear power, especially by environmentalists. Environmentalists don't really matter in the US. It has everything to do with the fact that nuclear electricity is expensive and is not cost competitive with other electricity generation technologies.

Great link.

A number of points;
~solar thermal has also fallen into disuse because wind / pv solar is only taking taking low hanging fruit and cutting the grass of other generators - reducing capital cost dilution. Gas peakers and existing gas/nuclear/hydro is what is doing the heavy lifting to allow for such cheap non-dispatchable power.
~Nuclear in 2009 was cheaper than the others, tech is what improved for wind/solar and I see no reason why costs could not be pushed down for nuclear generation with artificial resistance removed.
~40 years vs 60 (80 is possible?) years to be expected now for a reactor is a 33% reduction in capex costs - single biggest cost driver for nuclear.
~ I see no indication over how battery storage was costed for wind/ PV solar or any other mechanism for storing energy for full baseload coverage.
~Assuming that the link actually does not cost in storage costs, this means that the fully depreciated cost of nuclear can be used where the plant is not running at full capacity (because the plant is there already and it is only variable costs to cost). At this point, nuclear is still cheaper then the majority of wind/solar as per your link ($28 nuke vs $26 to $221 range for renewables). This is even before you assume significant reductions in nuclear cost due to reduction in resistance related costs, reduction in capex costs from running the plants longer (60 years as actually achieved vs 40 assumed) and the increased capex associated with battery supply/overbuild of non-dispatchable wind/solar.

So thank you for the link, it quite convincingly supports the argument that nuclear is the way to go for the baseload provision of power.

As a separate story, as per that chart existing nuclear is cheaper than existing coal so it is supports that Germany spinning up old coal plants is ideologically driven to priotise non-nuclear over the environment.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Also expensive compared to what? What about accounting for externalities like emissions and climate change? Its more expensive I can imagine to build a nuclear power plant compared to a solar array but the nuclear plant can generate power 24/7, might even take up less space depending on the designs and what we're comparing; the end-user is definitely not going to be paying more for nuclear power electricity compared to Russian natural gas electricity.

Anyways, a youtube video extolling a new advance in nuclear fusion has popped up in my timeline and it actually explains the achievement! Wow! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G27M0eRTRZE

Paper being referenced: https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.128.185003

Press release: https://news.epfl.ch/news/a-new-law-unchains-fusion-energy/

My poor summary is that this porpoises that there was a density limit to tokomak reactors that limited the amount of useable energy you could get from the reaction (as exceeding this density would cause the reaction to fail), but now it seems to be the case you can actually increase their density limit with more power and this actually pushes the amount of theoretical energy output into the viability zone that would be needed for commercial power. Supposedly the next fusion project DEMO might be able to make use of this development as ITER isn't designed with this new limit in mind, but the old limit.

I wonder if this can work together with the more efficient magnets development or if that's only for stellerator fusion reactors?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

silence_kit posted:

Ah yes. The great case against nuclear is that it isn't cost effective.

Similarly, the reason the US does not switch to universal health care is because it is not cost effective, and has nothing to do with ideology or because of lobbying actions of a few powerful corporations with political connections to maintain a status quo much to the detriment of public health.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Also expensive compared to what? What about accounting for externalities like emissions and climate change? Its more expensive I can imagine to build a nuclear power plant compared to a solar array but the nuclear plant can generate power 24/7, might even take up less space depending on the designs and what we're comparing; the end-user is definitely not going to be paying more for nuclear power electricity compared to Russian natural gas electricity.

Anyways, a youtube video extolling a new advance in nuclear fusion has popped up in my timeline and it actually explains the achievement! Wow! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G27M0eRTRZE

Paper being referenced: https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.128.185003

Press release: https://news.epfl.ch/news/a-new-law-unchains-fusion-energy/

My poor summary is that this porpoises that there was a density limit to tokomak reactors that limited the amount of useable energy you could get from the reaction (as exceeding this density would cause the reaction to fail), but now it seems to be the case you can actually increase their density limit with more power and this actually pushes the amount of theoretical energy output into the viability zone that would be needed for commercial power. Supposedly the next fusion project DEMO might be able to make use of this development as ITER isn't designed with this new limit in mind, but the old limit.

I wonder if this can work together with the more efficient magnets development or if that's only for stellerator fusion reactors?
That's exciting. I wonder if this could be used by Commonwealth Fusion, which is a startup I've been watching whose pitch is to basically just build a compact tokamak with high-temp superconductors. Significantly higher field strength than ITER, and much smaller/cheaper.

ITER is just such a waste of time and money, sucking up the available funds to for a multinational porkfest for what is now a wildly outdated design.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's pretty normal for people to drive by with "actually nuclear is not popular because of cost alone" when it's the only baseload generation tech held accountable for its byproducts. To wit, "oh man, look how expensive it is to be held accountable for your own pollution!" Even then, nuclear baseload breaks even more often than not, as demonstrated above, if you push aside deliberately bad analysis.

It's also pretty hilarious to watch people cite "Germany is over half renewables!" with (1) the obvious gaping hole that is the rest of the (growing) fossil share and (2) the slice of German "renewables" that involves importing entire forests from Africa and Southeast Asia at horrifying rates to burn as sacrifice to the German Green Party's false gods of "sustainability" and "stewardship."

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 9, 2022

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Potato Salad posted:

It's pretty normal for people to drive by with "actually nuclear is not popular because of cost alone" when it's the only baseload generation tech held accountable for its byproducts. To wit, "oh man, look how expensive it is to be held accountable for your own pollution!" Even then, nuclear baseload breaks even more often than not, as demonstrated above, if you push aside deliberately bad analysis.

It's also pretty hilarious to watch people cite "Germany is over half renewables!" with (1) the obvious gaping hole that is the rest of the (growing) fossil share and (2) the slice of German "renewables" that involves importing entire forests from Africa and Southeast Asia at horrifying rates to burn as sacrifice to the German Green Party's false gods of "sustainability" and "stewardship."

I mean, they’re not German forests getting ground up and compressed into pellets, so it must be green, right?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

It's also pretty hilarious to watch people cite "Germany is over half renewables!" with (1) the obvious gaping hole that is the rest of the (growing) fossil share

Doesn't seem to be growing (everything below red is fossil fuels). It would have started falling a lot further if nuclear power had not been shut off, but even so, fossil fuels are shrinking.

quote:

and (2) the slice of German "renewables" that involves importing entire forests from Africa and Southeast Asia at horrifying rates to burn as sacrifice to the German Green Party's false gods of "sustainability" and "stewardship."
Biomass (from all sources) provides roughly 8-9% of electricity. Wood is only a part of that. Most of the growth in renewables has come from wind, not biomass. In the last ten years, renewables went from 20% to 50%. Biomass went from 6% to 9%.

Looking at this source, the top source of wood imports for Germany in 2020 were:

quote:

Top trading partners (import of "Wood and articles of wood; wood charcoal") of Germany in 2020:
Poland with a share of 16.6% (1.44 billion US$)
Austria with a share of 14.8% (1.28 billion US$)
Czech Republic with a share of 9.16% (793 million US$)
China with a share of 7.44% (644 million US$)
Russia with a share of 5.14% (445 million US$)
Netherlands with a share of 3.66% (317 million US$)
Finland with a share of 3.3% (286 million US$)
Denmark with a share of 2.99% (259 million US$)
Sweden with a share of 2.99% (259 million US$)
France with a share of 2.93% (254 million US$)
Not a single country from Africa or Southeast Asia. Note that Germany also exported nearly as much wood as it imported.

MrYenko posted:

I mean, they’re not German forests getting ground up and compressed into pellets, so it must be green, right?
From what I can find, the vast majority of wood pellets are actually produced from industrial waste/production leftovers. And Germany actually produces a lot of wood and uses it. So, it actually is a lot of German forests being compressed into pellets.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 9, 2022

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Pander posted:

Ah yes. The great case against nuclear is that it isn't cost effective.

Similarly, the reason the US does not switch to universal health care is because it is not cost effective, and has nothing to do with ideology or because of lobbying actions of a few powerful corporations with political connections to maintain a status quo much to the detriment of public health.

Sure and until that changes people won't build nuclear.

Nuclear is amazing we just need to reform the regulatory framework, standardize designs, implement fairer subsidies and change how renewables are integrated into the sector or alternatively nationalize the power generation sector.

Ok let's do it, you got my vote. When that has happened maybe nuclear power will be more attractive to investors. Right now, at this moment, in this reality that has not happened so it isn't.

People keep explaining why things are the way that they are and people keep responding with how they would like things to be and who is responsible for things not being like that. While true and possibly mildly interesting it doesn't refute the original argument so it's besides the point and maybe irrelevant.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Potato Salad posted:

It's pretty normal for people to drive by with "actually nuclear is not popular because of cost alone"

I drive by with “when was the last time a new nuclear plant was built in the United States” and then pivot to “why not consider things that can actually happen?”

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Potato Salad posted:

Also loving over it's neighboring countries by becoming an electric black hole and creating record prices for other people. So german decisions are loving over not just themselves. Which is why this has soured me on the whole notion of a european grid with lots of transfers. Insane vulnerability to what others are doing as well as possible grid damage, not to mention the environmental issues with building all that infrastructure (just general waste of resources) and losses incurred transferring power that far. Way better to decentralize, be nominally self-sufficient and just do load balancing with your neighbors instead of trying to power entire countries with power generated really far away.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

His Divine Shadow posted:

Also loving over it's neighboring countries by becoming an electric black hole and creating record prices for other people. So german decisions are loving over not just themselves. Which is why this has soured me on the whole notion of a european grid with lots of transfers. Insane vulnerability to what others are doing as well as possible grid damage, not to mention the environmental issues with building all that infrastructure (just general waste of resources) and losses incurred transferring power that far. Way better to decentralize, be nominally self-sufficient and just do load balancing with your neighbors instead of trying to power entire countries with power generated really far away.
The distance between most of France and most of Germany is approximately that of the state of California, which manages to get by with a unified grid, power generation very far from humans, and only ~5% transmission losses. Long distance high voltage transmission lines are just not that big of a loss compared with the other stuff.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

ShadowHawk posted:

The distance between most of France and most of Germany is approximately that of the state of California, which manages to get by with a unified grid, power generation very far from humans, and only ~5% transmission losses. Long distance high voltage transmission lines are just not that big of a loss compared with the other stuff.

The long term plan for europe is an integrated grid over the whole EU, the idea is that the wind must blow somewhere, so wherever it blows, there should be enough wind mills and enough transfer lines to transfer power all across europe (to whoever pays the most). It's an insane plan IMO but is what they have seen as the partial solution to intermittance issues (it's not though). And it puts consumers in a bind since we will suffer for the actions of other member countries like Germany. We're currently living through that just now and with further grid integratrion this will only grow worse.

Except for Germany who will get more access to power from abroad to make up for their own failures, they get lower prices while the rest of EU consumers gets higher prices. It's funny, it's like the euro, it's undervalued for germany while overvalued for everyone else, so again Germany reaps the profits while others gets to loose. It's like further integration always serves the center more than it does the periphery...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It's actively driving Norway away from a possible EU membership at this point.

Personally I wouldn't mind if someone had an "accident" at our overseas power transmission stations, because this poo poo is just not sustainable.

Normal people are paying a high price for Germany's fuckups. Again.

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

Wibla posted:

It's actively driving Norway away from a possible EU membership at this point.

Personally I wouldn't mind if someone had an "accident" at our overseas power transmission stations, because this poo poo is just not sustainable.

Normal people are paying a high price for Germany's fuckups. Again.

Even without EU membership on either side, Norway is still providing lots of lovely hydro power across interconnectors to the UK. Over the past 5-10 years, it seems that our security of supply modelling has assumed that we'd be able to import power under any condition to meet winter peak loads. Given the outages in France, this is looking like it's not going to be the case this year - winter peak prices (weekdays, 0800-2000) for delivery in France hit €1500/MWh a week or two ago, far higher than the equivalent British product. This has caused the UK Government to instruct the System Operator to contract with three coal plants to stop them starting decommissioning at the end of September and to provide emergency power supplies if needed over winter.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

The long term plan for europe is an integrated grid over the whole EU, the idea is that the wind must blow somewhere, so wherever it blows, there should be enough wind mills and enough transfer lines to transfer power all across europe (to whoever pays the most). It's an insane plan IMO but is what they have seen as the partial solution to intermittance issues (it's not though). And it puts consumers in a bind since we will suffer for the actions of other member countries like Germany. We're currently living through that just now and with further grid integratrion this will only grow worse.

Except for Germany who will get more access to power from abroad to make up for their own failures, they get lower prices while the rest of EU consumers gets higher prices. It's funny, it's like the euro, it's undervalued for germany while overvalued for everyone else, so again Germany reaps the profits while others gets to loose. It's like further integration always serves the center more than it does the periphery...
Alternatively, you could conceptualize this as Germany being a giant reliable export market for all the countries willing to actually build power plant capacity, including nuclear capacity. Germany's policy combined with a unified grid is basically nuclear NIMBYism, meaning whoever is willing to build still gets all the jobs and export income.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

ShadowHawk posted:

Alternatively, you could conceptualize this as Germany being a giant reliable export market for all the countries willing to actually build power plant capacity, including nuclear capacity. Germany's policy combined with a unified grid is basically nuclear NIMBYism, meaning whoever is willing to build still gets all the jobs and export income.

Yeah, this would have been a smash own for France and hydro having countries if France hadn't also (under pressure from greens and Germany) started transitioning from nuclear to wind/solar. They look to be reversing course now but the 20 years of inactivity has already got what was wanted - reliance upon unreliable energy sources!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I think we're well past the point where people should realise that listening to advice from Germany on energy (and most other things) is a pretty dumb idea.

Also any self-proclaimed green party that is against nuclear energy is not green at all.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I twitch every time I hear the term "renewables" when discussing energy in 2022. It was a useful term 20 years ago when our main concern was actually running out of fossil fuels to burn. But now GHG emissions are far more important, and we have more than enough FF reserves to make Earth uninhabitable. The "renewables" distinction groups nuclear with fossil fuels, but groups biomass with solar and wind. It's about as useful as presenting energy mix by nameplate capacity instead of primary consumption or gross production. Just complete nonsense.

Here's a decent chart of energy mix for Germany which breaks renewables up (source). Intermittent sources are between 24.6% and 28.9% depending on whether you include offshore wind (debatable). This is admirable, since it's already pushing the boundaries of what experts think is feasible without sci-fi-level developments such as widespread mass storage or continent-spanning smart grids. I suppose the plan is probably to rely more on dispatchable generation (i.e. biomass, probably gas too). But even that only gets you to maybe 40-50%.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

the constant bleating about germans failing nuclear often has some technically correct points but it just never ever makes a lick of sense in the context of american doing soooo much worse

like, their strategy is sub-optimal, their political compromises have made their energy transition go slower than the theoretical ideal...

but they're still way the gently caress ahead of us. they're still a comparative success story. focusing on the marginal wiggling of a few percent of coal/nuke here and there is so myopic its suspicious.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MightyBigMinus posted:

the constant bleating about germans failing nuclear often has some technically correct points but it just never ever makes a lick of sense in the context of american doing soooo much worse

like, their strategy is sub-optimal, their political compromises have made their energy transition go slower than the theoretical ideal...

but they're still way the gently caress ahead of us. they're still a comparative success story. focusing on the marginal wiggling of a few percent of coal/nuke here and there is so myopic its suspicious.

You can be ahead and still be an abysmal failure.

America at least is actively seeking to bail out and save their nuclear industry unlike Germany, in that regard America is ahead.

Even more so that places like California are capable of reading the room and realizing closing Diablo Canyon might be a mistake. That makes them ahead of the Germans who are bailing out their coal industry.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

That makes them ahead of the Germans who are bailing out their coal industry.

You mentioned this before, but what are you talking about exactly? Coal prices are the highest they've been in decades and I can't imagine any mines anywhere needing anything remotely like a bailout. Are you talking about utilities?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MightyBigMinus posted:

Not everything is about America :)

Nuclear is 12% according to that chart right there, that's not negligible. If you're 12% short you're really hosed because electricity demand is not very elastic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Agronox posted:

You mentioned this before, but what are you talking about exactly? Coal prices are the highest they've been in decades and I can't imagine any mines anywhere needing anything remotely like a bailout. Are you talking about utilities?

Doesn't matter when you are stuck trying to make up an energy shortfall by rapidly escalating gas prices, and you are entirely dedicated to ensuring nuclear closures go through at the end of the year. You also answered your own question, coal/gas is expensive right now so a few German power operators are asking for government bailouts and Germany basically has to do so.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/08/business/uniper-germany-gas.html
Title says gas, but Uniper also operates a hard coal plant.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-19/germany-taking-steps-on-serious-gas-situation-habeck-says

Something is making up that energy shortfall.

https://twitter.com/european_grid/status/1546101962554343427?s=20&t=pUYB6SkEat4ETVvUghYLGQ

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 11, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
We actively complain about every single American plant shutdown as they happen, Germany is just doing a whole bunch of stupid right now so of course we talk about that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

ShadowHawk posted:

Well the problem I see with that is we're having a doozy of a time getting nuclear online for just our own purposes, and the swedes are doing even worse on that front, doing a mini-germany. So I don't see it as plausible that enough generation will come online in time to prevent decade(s) of high energy bills for consumers. For producers it would be pretty darn nice though, it's just those pesky consumers who get the shaft as usual.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Well the problem I see with that is we're having a doozy of a time getting nuclear online for just our own purposes, and the swedes are doing even worse on that front, doing a mini-germany. So I don't see it as plausible that enough generation will come online in time to prevent decade(s) of high energy bills for consumers. For producers it would be pretty darn nice though, it's just those pesky consumers who get the shaft as usual.
It's implausible in the current political situation, but it would be entirely possible to build many plants relatively quickly if there is a will to do so. Among other things, you'd need to cut out the contractor graft and the decades of fossil fuel-lobby regs that set nuclear up to fail.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lol who is claiming we don't drag America enough in here?

Dude, we're probably on watchlists. This thread isn't looking abroad for distractions from how scatterbrained, awful, or non-existent American energy policy is, and even if we were we sure could do a hell of a lot worse than criticizing the loving Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

cat botherer posted:

It's implausible in the current political situation, but it would be entirely possible to build many plants relatively quickly if there is a will to do so. Among other things, you'd need to cut out the contractor graft and the decades of fossil fuel-lobby regs that set nuclear up to fail.

This is the spherical, frictionless cow of policy discussions. Is there a regulatory model that has produced nuclear generation on time/budget in the last two generations? Even with the level of state control in China they can't hit their targets.

Not disagreeing that nuclear power is the only approach to mitigating climate change humans practically have the technology for, or that nationalization of that industry is probably the best way to get it spun up on the scale necessary. It's just not going to be cheap or easy regardless of the political environment.