Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

That sounds wise but... you know there are probably cats making GBS threads in your garden all the time anyway, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

alnilam posted:

That sounds wise but... you know there are probably cats making GBS threads in your garden all the time anyway, right?

Yeah probably. Its not like I want to purposefully add it it though, yah know?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just buy an unlicensed gamma source and kill everything biological in your waste before you compost it, easy peasy

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Looking at my winter squash starts (tetsukabuto) I saw these light areas on the leaves. Is this powdery white mildew?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That's actually just the varietal. As long as you're talking about the light colored veins and not something I didn't notice

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Soul Dentist posted:

That's actually just the varietal. As long as you're talking about the light colored veins and not something I didn't notice

I'm being paranoid because last year I thought it was just the varietal having cool leaves and then later I was struggling to keep the plants alive to produce fruit (I think because of powdery white mildew).

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

although I didn't really plant a garden this year (the space is getting used by someone else, which is nice), I have been dabbling in mushroom growing. behold, my first successful boi:

phoenix oyster, Pleurotus pulmonarius. these tiny bags are just proof-of-concept before I pour any more money into it, but god drat that was tasty with some butter for breakfast.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Motronic posted:

Also, chicken wire is only good for keeping chickens IN. Not keeping predators out or anything else.

Hardware cloth is the real answer here. Whether it for your garden or chicken enclosure.

Thanks, the garden is lined with chicken wire specifically to keep chickens out and let helpful predators in (toads, frogs, lizards, snakes, etc). I learned your fact about chicken wire the hard way when we first built a coop and accidentally invited in the neighborhood black snakes. Hardware cloth is actually easier to work with, in my opinion, because you can cut it to exact shape with much less stretching.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Can someone help me out with my tomato plants? The leaves are rolling up and have some brown spots towards the bottom of the plants. Finally got some real outdoor space in Seattle and I wanna grow some tomatoes finally, especially since I’ve got this nice south facing spot.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

tumblr hype man posted:

Can someone help me out with my tomato plants? The leaves are rolling up and have some brown spots towards the bottom of the plants. Finally got some real outdoor space in Seattle and I wanna grow some tomatoes finally, especially since I’ve got this nice south facing spot.

You should just prune all of the branches within 6" of the soil to start and then make sure it's getting regular water. My leaves are rolling this year like yours, but the plants are otherwise healthy. I think it's probably just from the abrupt change to warm weather and the wind we've been getting here. I don't always trust the days we get rain and will often water anyway.
Everything will be wet, but not really very deeply.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My third cucumber seedling also just flopped over and died, wth

The rest of the seedling gang seems fine, though.

For those curious, top left is the Casper eggplant, mid are Chocolate Cake bell peppers, bottom are the Supersweet 100s F1 cherry tomatoes. On the right, top is the purple tomatillos, under them are the Sakata Sweet Melon (has since been trellised), far right is the failure Dragon's Egg cucumber.

That Old Ganon fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 11, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

That Old Ganon posted:

For those curious, top left is the Casper eggplant, mid are Chocolate Cake bell peppers, bottom are the Supersweet 100s F1 cherry tomatoes. On the right, top is the purple tomatillos, under them are the Sakata Sweet Melon (has since been trellised), far right is the failure Dragon's Egg cucumber.

I don’t like those peat pots myself. They lead to nothing but dry seedlings and as they soak up all the water and then dry out the soil. You can see in the picture how the soil pulled off the wall that it dried out and pulled in. They can be brutal on starts. Also don’t plant them, they don’t decompose quickly and don’t let the roots escape. They also look like they’re stretching for light, so try to get them in a brighter spot.

Cucumbers can be temperamental to start, so maybe poke some holes in the bottom of a yoghurt cup and try that instead. But really you should be able to directly plant the cucumber as long as the weather is in the 65-75 range. If it’s hotter than try the yoghurt container.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Yeah those look pretty dry. As much as I dislike the proliferation of plastic poo poo, plastic pots or flats bottom-watered in a tray are the way to go for seedlings.

I am extremely over terracotta pots for much the same reason. They wick away an incredible amount of moisture.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I almost exclusively use tofu trays from a local kitchen for starts. Nice easy size, drains well if you knock a few corners off, and I don't feel terrible recycling them.

Peat pots are a great idea executed terribly.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Whatever had eaten all of my seedlings also ate all of the lower leaves off of my basil, as well as one of the tomatoes. I thought I had rats again, since I had them last year. Two of the rat traps had been triggered with no resulting rat. I reset them. Three of the four traps were triggered again with no rats. The fourth trap had also been sprung, but the mouse did not escape this one. I just got rid of the whole thing because a large rat trap does not do pleasant things to a small mouse.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Those are also not getting enough light. The plants on the right side of the tray need to be moved closer to the light source; the cotyledons shouldn't be multiple inches away from the ground.

Take a close look at the bottom of the stem of the cucumber. Is it withered at all, or brown? I ask because damping off is a bad problem in some seedings. I've only had it with basil, so idk if it's a cucumber thing.

FogHelmut posted:

Whatever had eaten all of my seedlings also ate all of the lower leaves off of my basil, as well as one of the tomatoes. I thought I had rats again, since I had them last year. Two of the rat traps had been triggered with no resulting rat. I reset them. Three of the four traps were triggered again with no rats. The fourth trap had also been sprung, but the mouse did not escape this one. I just got rid of the whole thing because a large rat trap does not do pleasant things to a small mouse.

Sprinkle flour or horticultural lime all around the plants in question at night. Check the footprints when you get up.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

quote, still not edit

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Let me just say that these work like absolute magic and squirrels aren't a problem in my yard anymore

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

That Old Ganon posted:

Where are these going to eventually end up, and what zone are you in? Zone 8/9 I've had the best luck direct sowing cukes and tomatillos.

Eggplants...man, I've had really good years with eggplants and I've had a lot of eggplants that germinated, grew into wee plants a couple inches tall, and didn't die, but declined to grow at all for the next several months.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

SubG posted:

Where are these going to eventually end up, and what zone are you in? Zone 8/9 I've had the best luck direct sowing cukes and tomatillos.

Eggplants...man, I've had really good years with eggplants and I've had a lot of eggplants that germinated, grew into wee plants a couple inches tall, and didn't die, but declined to grow at all for the next several months.

Eggplants are screwy I swear. I had big giant plants last year and nothing to eat. They're growing so much better this year, but the weather isn't messed up like last summer.

The Z. simulans are growing like they're the happiest plants. One of them is over 3' tall already. Now I just need to figure out how to prune and shape it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jhet posted:

The Z. simulans are growing like they're the happiest plants. One of them is over 3' tall already. Now I just need to figure out how to prune and shape it.
I've gradually adopted a more and more aggressive approach to pruning mine. When I first got my first one I was super cautious about pruning, worried about damaging/stunting the plant. But left to themselves they seem to want to put everything into one or two super long, gangly branches, to the point where my original peppercorn started leaning to one side because in a single growing season it managed to put out a side branch almost perpendicular to the ground that was about as long as the plant was tall. That convinced me to hack it almost all the way back to where it had started out at the beginning of the season, and the following year the plant bushed out more all the way around.

The new ones I picked up last year are doing something similar, although they're mostly trying to grow straight up. One's more than doubled its height, so I'm probably going to cut it back down a lot once the worst part of the heat of the summer is past.

I'll probably try rooting some of the cuttings--according to the internet they're not super easy to grow from cuttings but it's possible, but I tried with a couple cuttings from the end of last year and didn't have any luck.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

tumblr hype man posted:

Tomato leaves will curl for a whole variety of reasons that aren't really anything to worry about. They'll curl up if it gets too hot, too dry, and too windy. They don't always uncurl, either. Pruning off the bottom leaves (especially if they look unhealthy) isn't a bad idea, but I wouldn't worry unless you're seeing problems with new growth. That plant looks healthy to me.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jhet posted:

I don’t like those peat pots myself. They lead to nothing but dry seedlings and as they soak up all the water and then dry out the soil. You can see in the picture how the soil pulled off the wall that it dried out and pulled in. They can be brutal on starts. Also don’t plant them, they don’t decompose quickly and don’t let the roots escape. They also look like they’re stretching for light, so try to get them in a brighter spot.

Cucumbers can be temperamental to start, so maybe poke some holes in the bottom of a yoghurt cup and try that instead. But really you should be able to directly plant the cucumber as long as the weather is in the 65-75 range. If it’s hotter than try the yoghurt container.
They're stretching for the sunlight but they actually stay lit at night with a grow light I looted. My setup's real janky because I'm on the fourth floor of an apartment building so everything remains potted. I don't have yogurt cups, but my roommate does have a bunch of knockoff Solo cups I'll help him use.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Those are also not getting enough light. The plants on the right side of the tray need to be moved closer to the light source; the cotyledons shouldn't be multiple inches away from the ground.

Take a close look at the bottom of the stem of the cucumber. Is it withered at all, or brown? I ask because damping off is a bad problem in some seedings. I've only had it with basil, so idk if it's a cucumber thing.
No discoloration or withering in the stem, but withering in the leaves about a day after it flops over.

SubG posted:

These are going to be in 5a, but potted.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

majour333 fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 12, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
You always hope your fence is deer-proof until...

Defoliated my hots, chomped my first tomato crop and took huge dumps everywhere before finding her way out again two hours later.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 12, 2022

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
yo plants rule

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Chard posted:

although I didn't really plant a garden this year (the space is getting used by someone else, which is nice), I have been dabbling in mushroom growing. behold, my first successful boi:

phoenix oyster, Pleurotus pulmonarius. these tiny bags are just proof-of-concept before I pour any more money into it, but god drat that was tasty with some butter for breakfast.

These are beautiful and I think you've just inspired me to at least consider growing mushrooms. Nice job.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Chad Sexington posted:

You always hope your fence is deer-proof until...

Defoliated my hots, chomped my first tomato crop and took huge dumps everywhere before finding her way out again two hours later.

blessings from god

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

I live in a desert and I'm trying my hand at no-till regenerative gardening. I'm mulching my vegetable beds pretty heavily and want to do some cover cropping in the fall... My dumbshit question is, do I just lightly work the mulch into the soil before cover cropping? Would that do damage to the soil? There's ample free mulch in my town so the cost of reapplying mulch is just gas to get the truck to the free mulch pile.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Justa Dandelion posted:

I live in a desert and I'm trying my hand at no-till regenerative gardening. I'm mulching my vegetable beds pretty heavily and want to do some cover cropping in the fall... My dumbshit question is, do I just lightly work the mulch into the soil before cover cropping? Would that do damage to the soil? There's ample free mulch in my town so the cost of reapplying mulch is just gas to get the truck to the free mulch pile.

There's a lot of different kinds of mulch but I figure your town is giving out wood chip mulch. If it's finely chipped and has been heated well you can sift with 1/4" mesh to get the wood humus to mix in as a growing medium. Trouble is, larger pieces of wood are carbon sources that take nitrogen from plants to do the decomposing process if it's mixed into the soil.

Ideally, your cover crop is shading the soil and retaining moisture by their density so it may need mulch. If you want to avoid critters digging up your seed and improve germination you can lay cardboard weighted down or flat lumber pieces over it until they sprout.

Usually, that stuff is directly from the Parks department but it's worth calling to ask in case there's any sewage sludge mixed in.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Not much of a gardener but I love my upside down sweet potato held with rusty nails to a water jug.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wood chips are great mulch and overall increase soil nitrogen, but it might interfere with seedlings by leeching nitrogen at the very top soil layer. It's better for established plants that have deeper roots.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

mischief posted:

My MIL told us at the end of a growing season several years ago that they had experienced septic tank issues. Their garden is downhill.

We'd been eating poo vegetables all summer.

Produce is full of piss, generally, so it's good to mix it up

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The shelf that all my super hots live on outside collapsed today due to the former owners not understanding how screws or basic physics work. Assemble and construct with care people.

Thankfully only one Scotch Bonnet was decapitated and will just act like it got topped, but everything had it's roots messed with and/or leaves torn off.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Jhet posted:

The shelf that all my super hots live on outside collapsed today due to the former owners not understanding how screws or basic physics work. Assemble and construct with care people.

Thankfully only one Scotch Bonnet was decapitated and will just act like it got topped, but everything had it's roots messed with and/or leaves torn off.

:(

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

That Old Ganon posted:

They're stretching for the sunlight but they actually stay lit at night with a grow light I looted.

I might be mis-understanding here - are they lit 24/7? That's not good - plants need a daily period of darkness when the "dark reactions" in their leaves can do their thing. 12/12 seems to work well for a lot of people.

Justa Dandelion posted:

Zone 8, cool Mediterranean here so take any advice to a desert dweller with a grain of leached salt. I mulch heavily with horticultural chips (technical term for whatever gets thrown in the chipper, excluding cedar). For direct seeding I either pull it off the beds completely or dig out rows in the mulch across the beds so strips of soil about 2" wide are exposed at the spacing you want the plants at, then seeding into that.

Last fall I planted fava beans as a cover crop in one bed and just made little pits down to the soil about 12" apart in a diamond pattern and planted the beans in that. Worked well, but the beans were a little slow to ripen this spring and the pumpkins needed to be planted between the favas. Seemed to have worked, everyone is growing and happy. I got away with it this time. Once the favas are done I will collect their seeds (because drat, fava bean seeds are expensive!) then cut them off at soil level to leave the roots with all their attached nitrogen nodules in the soil where it will do the most good.

If you can leave as much of the chip mulch undisturbed as possible the mycellium starts doing interesting things in the soil. It also gives you the benefit of holding moisture in, which I assume you're constantly struggling with. I have that problem starting winter carrots in early July. By then the summer drought has started and the carrots can be a pain to get germinated. The strip method and careful watering got them going last year even though we were in the middle of a heat wave.

I guess it depends too on what you want to use as a cover crop. If you want to broadcast small seeds of something like Hairy Vetch you'd probably need to pull the mulch off completely. Pulling the mulch back also lets you put down a layer of compost before planting, a la Charles Dowding.

It would be interesting to see how long chip mulch lasts in your environment. Here on some of my beds the mulch goes from 3-4" thick to less than 1/2" in a year. There's still structure in that upper layer so you can tell it's wood chips, but the rest is just... soil. loving magic.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hexigrammus posted:

I might be mis-understanding here - are they lit 24/7? That's not good - plants need a daily period of darkness when the "dark reactions" in their leaves can do their thing. 12/12 seems to work well for a lot of people.
They don't get direct light until about 1700, and that lasts until sunset, so what I've been doing is using the grow light at night and turning it off when I get up the next day. The balcony is west-facing and light doesn't start to creep in this way until 1300-ish.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That Old Ganon posted:

They don't get direct light until about 1700, and that lasts until sunset, so what I've been doing is using the grow light at night and turning it off when I get up the next day. The balcony is west-facing and light doesn't start to creep in this way until 1300-ish.

You're better off using the grow lights during the day and shutting them off to full dark at night

stranger danger
May 24, 2006
So I'm getting a prairie/pollinator garden going this year and I was wondering if anyone had a good source on hand pollinating wildflowers. Most of what I've found is focused on fruits and veggies and idk how applicable the info is to plants that normally just produce seeds.

Also, do I have to worry about soil compaction if my site used to be lawn? I had some guys turn over the sod as site prep, so the first few inches of soil are probably ok, but I was wondering if my plants' roots might have trouble once they get past the first few inches of soil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

stranger danger posted:

So I'm getting a prairie/pollinator garden going this year and I was wondering if anyone had a good source on hand pollinating wildflowers. Most of what I've found is focused on fruits and veggies and idk how applicable the info is to plants that normally just produce seeds.

Also, do I have to worry about soil compaction if my site used to be lawn? I had some guys turn over the sod as site prep, so the first few inches of soil are probably ok, but I was wondering if my plants' roots might have trouble once they get past the first few inches of soil.

If it's not indoors I don't know why you would have to hand pollinate, the point of a pollinator garden is there are critters doing it for you