Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Bam Rodriguez is legit. I still considered Srisaket Sor Rungvisai a top 20 fighter in the sport and Rodriguez waxed him. Also beat Carlos Cuadras on two weeks notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Mikey Garcia updated his Instagram to "retired" world champ.

Strange times in boxing where a fighter can retire a legit four weight world champ and have what will probably be considered a very mixed career.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The SituAsian posted:

Strange times in boxing where a fighter can retire a legit four weight world champ and have what will probably be considered a very mixed career.

I don’t follow closely enough to understand why. 40-2 seems pretty loving good, both losses at the very end. Did he get a lot of gift decisions or dodge the real threats or something?

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

DeimosRising posted:

I don’t follow closely enough to understand why. 40-2 seems pretty loving good, both losses at the very end. Did he get a lot of gift decisions or dodge the real threats or something?

My feeling is his last couple fights were cash out fights. He had a really great run before those fights, maybe even a HoF type run. I’m glad he’s quitting while he’s ahead and got his health.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. F! posted:

My feeling is his last couple fights were cash out fights. He had a really great run before those fights, maybe even a HoF type run. I’m glad he’s quitting while he’s ahead and got his health.

I'm asking this in the MMA thread too, but this post prompted me to wonder...

Of all fighters who we know of suffering significant later-in-life neurological effects (cte, parkinsons, etc) from combat sports (Mark Kerr, Gary Goodridge, Spencer Fisher, Muhammad Ali, etc) can anyone think of one for whom none of the following is true:

*Was knocked out 3+ times in a short span (say, as many as 3 KO losses in 5 fights) particularly late in the career
*Continued to fight high-level opponents (i.e. non-exhibition) after age 35
*Famous for toughness and/or 3+ high-damage fights, and continued to fight that way after age 30

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Jerry Quarry sort of qualifies with those guidelines.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LLCoolJD posted:

Jerry Quarry sort of qualifies with those guidelines.

Hmm yeah. That's pretty close. He basically retired at 32. Looks like he took some terrifying beatings in his losses though, just judging from his record and not having seen the fights.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

DeimosRising posted:

Basically what Mr F said. In 2013 he had one of the best years in recent memory when he beat Orlando Salido, Juan Manuel Lopez and Rocky Martinez becoming the lineal featherweight champion beating Saldio and winning a title at 130 beating Martinez. Then after a pretty rough outing against Juan Carlos Burgos in early 2014 he spent 2 and a half years in legal disputes with Top Rank that weren't resolved until the summer of 2016. He had some great wins after that-mainly a crazy knockout of former lightweight champ Dejan Zlaticanin and winning a title 140 against Sergey Lipinets-but I think a lot of people soured on him after he put on what's considered to be a dud against Errol Spence. Then he doesn't have a fight until late last year and loses to the unheralded Sandor Martin and that's it.

He's said it himself on many an occasion that he viewed boxing as a job and a not a lifestyle and he's had a great career by any rational measure (and leaving with generational wealth and all his faculties seeming to be intact is a massive w in itself) but-at least from the fan perspective-he just never had that fight against a real peer near his weight, Lomachenko being the obvious, to cement his legacy in the sport.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 29, 2022

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The SituAsian posted:

He never had any really big fights (eg. Pacquiao). He also had his best performances like a decade ago at 126 and 130, took like a 2 and a half year break, came back and looked kind of ordinary at 140, then jumped up to 147 and cashed out.

Can’t really blame him as he made a ton of money, especially for a little guy, and never actually liked boxing, but he never kept momentum going in his career or got the big fights.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ah that makes sense. reminds me of a guy like javale mcgee, who has the body and athleticism and brain to be an all time basketball player but just considers it a job he doesn't particularly identify with so he's just a decent rotation player.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Preemptive :rip: for Christian Hammer. Can't beat the :itjb:

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Took a couple of rounds for him to get going, but Joyce took care of business against Christian Hammer. Although Joyce didn't look amazing; he got caught repeatedly by Hammer's right hand.

Honestly tragic that Joyce will be 37 years old the next time he gets into the ring. His style; relentless pressure/activity while being easily hittable, is not one that ages well. I know he turned pro late but he should be far past fighting the Christian Hammers of the world. His next fight absolutely needs to be against a name top 10 guy.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Dubois hit him with some loaded shots, too. Joyce just tanks his way through.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Jake Paul vs Hasim Rahman Jr on August 6th.

Rahman Jr is 12-1 with 6 KOs, and almost all of his wins are against complete no hopers with losing records, so I imagine Paul wins this fight as well.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Jake Paul vs Hasim Rahman Jr on August 6th.

Rahman Jr is 12-1 with 6 KOs, and almost all of his wins are against complete no hopers with losing records, so I imagine Paul wins this fight as well.

Not sure if you were already implying this but still better than Tommy Fury :shrug:

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The SituAsian posted:

Not sure if you were already implying this but still better than Tommy Fury :shrug:

Definitely better than Fury, but probably only because Rahman is 50 pounds heavier and 3 inches taller than Fury is.

I'm actually a bit surprised Paul would take this fight, as Paul is a 190 pound cruiserweight and Rahman is a heavyweight. This will be the first time that Paul will be at a size disadvantage against an opponent.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Unless the fight is fixed this will be a tough night for Jake Paul. Rahman has pretty good movement and decent counter punches from what little I've watched. And he's big.

https://youtu.be/xpPN39mRieQ

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

LLCoolJD posted:

Unless the fight is fixed this will be a tough night for Jake Paul. Rahman has pretty good movement and decent counter punches from what little I've watched. And he's big.

https://youtu.be/xpPN39mRieQ

At this point I think I’d be more disappointed by boxing if the fight wasn’t fixed.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Rahman Jr. sparred with Jake in his prep for the Nate Robinson fight so many are calling it rigged anyways.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shankel Magnus posted:

At this point I think I’d be more disappointed by boxing if the fight wasn’t fixed.

Yeah I would 100% be shocked Paul, who has ran scams multiple times, didn't try to fix the fight.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Great fight between Pulev and Chisora just now. I had Pulev winning but wouldn't be surprised if the judges go the other way.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

Great fight between Pulev and Chisora just now. I had Pulev winning but wouldn't be surprised if the judges go the other way.

he had some strong rounds near the end but spent the first few rounds just clinching and was bleeding the rest of the fight so I never really saw it as his. maybe in a different venue the scores wouldn't have been so obviously drumming up drama

like he didn't even manage a knockdown on chisora and really only staggered him once I definitely didn't see the judges going any other way even though clearly chisora felt the same way as you by the end.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

That was a fight where everyone came out a winner imo

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

That was a fight where everyone came out a winner imo

oh for sure my takeaway on pulev was a lot of heart and he definitely started out wanting to take it to later rounds and the plan worked

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mekchu posted:

Yeah I would 100% be shocked Paul, who has ran scams multiple times

Cliff's notes or links?

If it is a fix, that just shows how fast he's learning about the boxing game.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

kimbo305 posted:

Cliff's notes or links?

If it is a fix, that just shows how fast he's learning about the boxing game.

He's apparently been involved in (more than one) crypto/NFT rug pull. But at this point I feel it's just like a rite of passage for anyone who is a social media person at this point

https://beincrypto.com/jake-paul-promotes-yet-another-nft-rug-pull-founders-make-off-with-6-3m/

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
The WBA has ordered Dmitry Bivol to defend against his mandatory in his next fight, undefeated Gilberto Ramirez.

Considering that Artur Beterbiev has to fight his WBO mandatory Anthony Yarde next, and assuming the fight gets made, this is best case scenario for the division in my opinion. Ramirez, while still mostly an enigma, is at least the third best light heavyweight in the world on paper. The Bivol/Ramirez winner could then move on to fight Beterbiev in 2023, assuming the WBC doesn't order an immediate fight between Beterbiev and Callum Smith, or Canelo choosing to fight Bivol again.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
So looks like Ryan Garcia is gonna clown on somebody tomorrow night?

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
That's the best I've seen Ryan Garcia look.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Solid win, made him quit (smart decision, though). Time for a big league fight.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

LLCoolJD posted:

Solid win, made him quit (smart decision, though). Time for a big league fight.

The Tank fight is unfortunately a pipe dream at this point. If Ryan wants to stay at 140 a (slightly) more realistic fight I'd like to see would be him against Teofimo. Even more realistic, I'd say Sandor Martin to see how he handles a more cagey guy.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Sandor Martin would be a major disappointment, basically a step back from the likes of Luke Campbell or Javier Fortuna (former world champion) at this point. Fortuna was already the cagey vet test and Ryan dominated him. 140 has a bunch of names: Josh Taylor, Regis Prograis, Teofimo Lopez, Brandun Lee, the Jose Carlos Ramirez/Jose Zepeda winner.... hopefully he can fight someone from that list, if not Gervonta Davis.

Garcia has proven he's world level and he looks stronger and better than ever at 140. More euro/domestic level fights are a waste of time.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Yeah Garcia looked really good. Great performance.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Hell yeah

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1549503348381999109?t=09SiPC28Jn46a3vBv1J81Q&s=19

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The zoom video stuttered and rubber banded perfectly to make his point.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Broner is obviously a very good boxer, but he's so obnoxious that people just want to see him get embarrassed. Maybe being the heel is good marketing, I dunno.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Danny Garcia is coming back at 154 on Saturday against Jose Benavidez for his first fight since losing to Spence in December 2020. I honestly think it's a strong possibility he retires after this fight whether he wins or loses.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/jakepaul/status/1553535950806040577

lol

get em jake!!!!

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

At this rate we will see Fury-Joshua before Jake Paul's next fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
poo poo he might as well wait till October for Diaz to finish his contract