Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Aurium posted:

So, I have to ask, but you say you're using heater 1. Have you tried using heater 0 (and thermistor 0)?

I would expect the hot end to use heater0 by default, and I see there are 2 channels on the Amazon link I found by searching trigorilla board.

It didn't seem likely that both boards would have hosed up mosfets on heater1 so I didn't bother editing the default in marlin (yes 1 is the default, I think it's because it was easier for them to plug their LCD hat board onto the thermistor1 pins)

I might as well try it tonight if I don't feel like too much of a zombie after work. Hopefully the t0 pins aren't buried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

cephalopods posted:

It didn't seem likely that both boards would have hosed up mosfets on heater1 so I didn't bother editing the default in marlin (yes 1 is the default, I think it's because it was easier for them to plug their LCD hat board onto the thermistor1 pins)

I might as well try it tonight if I don't feel like too much of a zombie after work. Hopefully the t0 pins aren't buried

So, I spent a bit going though marlins default config for the trigorilla board, and the anycubic i3 mega, and crossing that with a pin out diagram I found. I won't promise my read is 100% correct or that the firmware you're using follows it.

But with those it appears the extruder is on heater 0, and thermistor t0, the bed is the bed output and on thermistor t1.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Aurium posted:

So, I spent a bit going though marlins default config for the trigorilla board, and the anycubic i3 mega, and crossing that with a pin out diagram I found. I won't promise my read is 100% correct or that the firmware you're using follows it.

But with those it appears the extruder is on heater 0, and thermistor t0, the bed is the bed output and on thermistor t1.

You are correct, and I have been testing with 0 the entire time. I think I typoed heater0 -> heater1 in that post and then gaslit myself about it. Anyway I just swapped the defines for HEATER_0_PIN and HEATER_1_PIN in pins_TRIGORILLA_14.h and didn't touch the thermistors.

It heats!

Now I gotta reassemble and configure everything lmao

Thanks a ton, Aurium.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I am still new to the design side of things, so this may be a very simple question.

I want to make a small flexible 'inner tube' to put inside a microphone body so I can inset a mic capsule into the 'donut hole'. This would be how the capsule is mounted inside the body and should help reject handling noise. Can this be made with TPU? If so, how do I even begin to design it?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
make a sketch of the "donut" profile on the x-z plane or y-z and sweep it along a larger circle on the x-y plane. The larger circle is the sweep path of the "inner tube" / torus.
Your inner torus diameter will be the = sweep path diameter- profile diameter.

If your Mike is 2mm diameter, and your donut is 1mm thick padding, that means your sweep circle path needs to be 3mm.

If you're thinking about how to actually make it, I'd make it D shaped so you have a flat side for your first layer.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Vaporware posted:

make a sketch of the "donut" profile on the x-z plane or y-z and sweep it along a larger circle on the x-y plane. The larger circle is the sweep path of the "inner tube" / torus.
Your inner torus diameter will be the = sweep path diameter- profile diameter.

If your Mike is 2mm diameter, and your donut is 1mm thick padding, that means your sweep circle path needs to be 3mm.

If you're thinking about how to actually make it, I'd make it D shaped so you have a flat side for your first layer.

I appreciate the response, but you're talking above the vocabulary I have for this stuff. Could you point me at a YouTube video?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Try looking for a blender tutorial on a making a torus? I mean there might be a premade tinkercad donut, too.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Marsupial Ape posted:

I appreciate the response, but you're talking above the vocabulary I have for this stuff. Could you point me at a YouTube video?

Do you want to learn, or do you want the thing you need modeled real quick? If the latter, pics and dimensions will help. It SOUNDS like a pretty not-complicated model, anyway.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Marsupial Ape posted:

Here's how to do that in Fusion 360:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUm9AuYTms0

It will help to have some concept of the general way that Fusion works. You make a sketch on a 2d plane and then extrude it into the third dimension. In this example they use Revolve instead of extrude to make it a round item. You can make your O-ring style thing by sketching a circle on a plane and then revolving around an axis. When you have what you want you can right click the object and export it as a stl.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Vaporware posted:

Yeah, trying to deal with supports with TPU is a generally bad plan. Whatever you design, make sure it doesn't need them.

e: also this sounds like something you could whip up in tinkercad pretty quickly, which doesn't involve installing anything

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Rexxed posted:

Here's how to do that in Fusion 360:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUm9AuYTms0

It will help to have some concept of the general way that Fusion works. You make a sketch on a 2d plane and then extrude it into the third dimension. In this example they use Revolve instead of extrude to make it a round item. You can make your O-ring style thing by sketching a circle on a plane and then revolving around an axis. When you have what you want you can right click the object and export it as a stl.

I'll give that a watch, thanks.

I may also try to remix this o-ring, too. I can definitely use that for my speakers.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Javid posted:

Do you want to learn, or do you want the thing you need modeled real quick? If the latter, pics and dimensions will help. It SOUNDS like a pretty not-complicated model, anyway.

I’m much more literate with the slicer and hardware side of things. I want to learn how to do it myself. I know it’s just a simple donut and I know I could teach myself if I knew where to start. I taught myself audio editing, I can do this.

I just need a “An Idiot’s Guide to CAD for 3D Printing”.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'm interested in the answers too, then, as my cargo cult level knowledge of modeling could use some work.

It sounds like you have a pretty great hello world project to learn on. While you should definitely also check out the videos suggested, here is a very tldr speedrun of the process of making a generic donut in the modeling software I use; it should be vaguely similar in any parametric modeling program +/- interface differences. (you should not learn on what I use (onshape) if you are choosing between options; I use onshape because it was the one the hack lab taught for free)

The rest of the process of making your donut is just defining sizes and distances of things in the drawing + deciding what to do to make it FDM printable. I have had good luck with making close-enough circle and sphere shapes by giving it a flat bottom with angled sides that meet the circle tangentially, like so:

Then export the STL and you know the rest. I was floored by how not-complex the basic operations are, even though it still gets complicated when you get deeper into it

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
A friend of mine is giving me poo poo about how I should 3d print a ghost gun, so I want to print him a ghost holding a gun but cannot seem to find anything online remotely similar to what I want. I am not that great at modeling, slowly getting basic shapes down let alone modeling a ghost holding a gun. Any suggestions on what I can do to achieve my smart rear end dreams?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Ghost gun is easy, get a ghost model, get a gun model, load the ghost in prusaslicer, then right click and "add part" or load part, something like that. Select your gun, move it to the ghosts hand or mouth or whatever and now the slicer will union them together where you put it. You can even export that combined model as an STL.

Re: learning 3D modeling. There are 2 or so paths. Mudbox and the like are sculpting programs. Fusion is a CAD analog. Somewhere in between is the parametric stuff like openSCAD and tinkercad.

Chose one path at first and one program because they all have their own workflow. This is was a well trod path even when I learned it at college circa early 2000s, but I have no idea where to get free tutorials or how to's. All the free guidance from fusion 360 wasn't helpful for what I was trying to do, and the youube channels I checked were the same. An instructor led course is my advice.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Vaporware posted:

Re: learning 3D modeling. There are 2 or so paths. Mudbox and the like are sculpting programs. Fusion is a CAD analog. Somewhere in between is the parametric stuff like openSCAD and tinkercad.

I don't think I've ever seen someone put openSCAD and tinkercad in the same sentence like that lol. They're the literal opposite ends of the difficulty spectrum imo.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Vaporware posted:

Ghost gun is easy, get a ghost model, get a gun model, load the ghost in prusaslicer, then right click and "add part" or load part, something like that. Select your gun, move it to the ghosts hand or mouth or whatever and now the slicer will union them together where you put it. You can even export that combined model as an STL.

Chose one path at first and one program because they all have their own workflow. This is was a well trod path even when I learned it at college circa early 2000s, but I have no idea where to get free tutorials or how to's. All the free guidance from fusion 360 wasn't helpful for what I was trying to do, and the youube channels I checked were the same. An instructor led course is my advice.

I suggest the lower rear of the ghost. Ghost-butt-gun.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Vaporware posted:

Thank you for the advice. I am gonna get stoned and do all these “learn TinkerCad in X amount of steps” videos on YouTube.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Depends how you like to learn things but tinkercad is easy enough to grasp by just playing with it. Everything is a primitive, either a solid or a hole, and you merge and align these things together to make parts. It's very easy but a somewhat odd way to work and it will not really give you skills that transfer to other programs. I love it for whipping up quick stuff though, it makes it very easy to edit, remix and combine existing STLs.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I teach 3D printing at the local Makers Lab and a lot of people have never opened a 3D package before and a common obstacle for learning is simply just the concept of a 3D object on a 2D screen.
TinkerCad makes it easier to overcome that. It might not be actually useful for producing models, but it's an awesome fundamental learning tool. You can see it in the reaction of people as well. They see TinkerCad and go 'Hey, even I can do that!', whereas you show them Blender or Fusion and they just go blank.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I teach 3D printing at the local Makers Lab and a lot of people have never opened a 3D package before and a common obstacle for learning is simply just the concept of a 3D object on a 2D screen.
TinkerCad makes it easier to overcome that. It might not be actually useful for producing models, but it's an awesome fundamental learning tool. You can see it in the reaction of people as well. They see TinkerCad and go 'Hey, even I can do that!', whereas you show them Blender or Fusion and they just go blank.

One of my least favorite pieces of 'advice' that's thrown at new printer owners in various user groups is "Just model it yourself!" when they ask about... well, anything printable, it seems. As if everyone is just born with the innate knowledge needed to use a CAD package proficiently, and they're foolish for even asking a question. Strangely though, the same people who think that way usually get really indignant when you ask them to paint you a nice picture or write a quick song.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

GotDonuts posted:

A friend of mine is giving me poo poo about how I should 3d print a ghost gun, so I want to print him a ghost holding a gun but cannot seem to find anything online remotely similar to what I want. I am not that great at modeling, slowly getting basic shapes down let alone modeling a ghost holding a gun. Any suggestions on what I can do to achieve my smart rear end dreams?

The simplest answer is to go on Fiverr, and pay someone :20bux: to knock something out in an hour.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Acid Reflux posted:

One of my least favorite pieces of 'advice' that's thrown at new printer owners in various user groups is "Just model it yourself!" when they ask about... well, anything printable, it seems. As if everyone is just born with the innate knowledge needed to use a CAD package proficiently, and they're foolish for even asking a question. Strangely though, the same people who think that way usually get really indignant when you ask them to paint you a nice picture or write a quick song.

Better yet, "try OpenSCAD!"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

GotDonuts posted:

you can almost certainly make that on HeroForge

e: I could swear they had some kind of ghost robe outfit but now I can't find it. you may be able to make something suitable anyway

e2: this was funny enough for me to model for myself, and easier in cad than I expected

Javid fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 10, 2022

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I don't think I've ever seen someone put openSCAD and tinkercad in the same sentence like that lol. They're the literal opposite ends of the difficulty spectrum imo.

Agreed, but they both have the same core principle of primitives and modifier workflow. openSCAD shows you the sausage being made.

Marsupial Ape posted:

Thank you for the advice. I am gonna get stoned and do all these “learn TinkerCad in X amount of steps” videos on YouTube.

Don't feel bad asking questions either. This stuff just isn't intuitive and there are tons of ways too get from A to B. A bunch of tutorials I tried made it seem easy, but they also demo the most trivial case. (Like the built-in tinkercad tutorials) Getting the idea of how the shapes should interact for manufacturing is the best take away from actually using a modeling program. Tinkercad is a fine program for getting things done, and as soon as it feels limiting then there are a bunch of options to try next. I use the same workflow in tinkercad as I do just doing simple models in prusaslicer. Add cube - add cutting cylinder - print cube with hole.

Javid posted:

you can almost certainly make that on HeroForge

lol

Unrelated, but I printed some inland TPU today and it is way tougher than I thought. I was expecting squishy stress ball, and it was more like RC car tires. Oh god and the stringing. A+ would print again

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i got sick my my old used ender 3 needing an amazon purchase whenever i go to fix something, beacuse a part doesnt fit or something, so yeah.

was a fun couple hours to assemble!

edit: jesus watching this thing work next to my ender 3 is like night and day, holy poo poo its fast and smooth, ripping through a benchy right now.

queeb fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 10, 2022

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Been running klipper on my ender 3 v2 with a pi zero2w with input shaping and a camera with zero load issues at all. Was worried it may not be able to handle it before I knew how little klipper/fluidd actually seems to use in resources.

I have it tuned now so it prints as fast or faster than my mk3s+ with close to the same print quality! It probes for a mesh based on the size of the print so it's really great at getting first layers right. I'm pretty sure I can crank the speed up even more once I install another part cooling fan.

If anyone has an old printer laying around and wants to breathe some new life into it I would highly recommend it!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Printed out the Tooned Birdhouse.

https://imgur.com/gallery/0emiIkj

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

queeb posted:

i got sick my my old used ender 3 needing an amazon purchase whenever i go to fix something, beacuse a part doesnt fit or something, so yeah.

was a fun couple hours to assemble!

edit: jesus watching this thing work next to my ender 3 is like night and day, holy poo poo its fast and smooth, ripping through a benchy right now.
That's a Prusa mini, right?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ilkhan posted:

That's a Prusa mini, right?

yup!

the print space actually wasnt as bad as i was thinking, its more than big enough for most stuff. and my god its fast.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hell yeah, Prusa Mini rules.

I’m gonna be running a clearance castle on mine in PC Blend today before I start printing some furniture and workshop tooling, wish me luck.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
I replaced my nozzle with a 0.6mm one and started printing some petg with a 0.3mm l;ayer height on my mini and it looks like this on the sides: https://imgur.com/a/ldI9yWy

Is this a retraction issue? Temp issue?

St. Blaize fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 10, 2022

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Things I would check:
Pid tuning
Extruder steps

I interpret that as inconsistent extrusion. In my mind, that is due to a combination of the filament being advanced at an unpredictable rate, or it melting at an unpredictable rate.

Good luck!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

mattfl posted:

Printed out the Tooned Birdhouse.

https://imgur.com/gallery/0emiIkj

The colors really pop, looks nice!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

St. Blaize posted:

I replaced my nozzle with a 0.6mm one and started printing some petg with a 0.3mm l;ayer height on my mini and it looks like this on the sides: https://imgur.com/a/ldI9yWy

Is this a retraction issue? Temp issue?

If you have seam: random that's normal, if not then not. Are you running octoprint or printing from the SD card? That looks like the nozzle is pausing for a split second which can be a gcode problem.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

If you have seam: random that's normal, if not then not. Are you running octoprint or printing from the SD card? That looks like the nozzle is pausing for a split second which can be a gcode problem.

using octoprint, i guess i will try from the flash drive and see if its better

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcMxEkVvIdE&t=186s

This is insane (wait for it to start 2nd layer)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

mother of god

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Holy gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

drat that frame seems so rigid. I've seen some of his other videos, pretty impressive.