Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Alaois posted:

Kudome Valentine is the best name for it, imo

Vertebreaker sounds so metal, like a 13 year olds lovely band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

We call fireman carry drivers John Cena Driver around here.

This reminds me of that video I saw of someone running up to someone on the ground and rolling on them into a standing fireman's carry in one swift motion, aka a Ranger Roll. Has anyone ever incorporated this into wrestling?

I'm expecting a reversed Sheamus GIF

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 11, 2022

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah it happens occasionally. someone does it kinda regularly now. ospreay?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I feel like i've seen Cena himself do it in the past as a way to chain Cena Drivers. Otherwise Hiromu Takahashi as a setup for his Death Valley Driver into the cornerpad

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What the hell is Hogan wearing on his face in the promo with Warrior for the Summerslam ‘91 main event?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

RandolphCarter posted:

It's named after a Spawn villain so you're exactly right

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Unperson_47 posted:

This reminds me of that video I saw of someone running up to someone on the ground and rolling on them into a standing fireman's carry in one swift motion, aka a Ranger Roll. Has anyone ever incorporated this into wrestling?

I'm expecting a reversed Sheamus GIF

Ronda did this to Triple H in her first match, or a slight variation of it. I assume it's easier to pick someone up like this.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I like the unprettier a lot and think it's cool.

Why do you not like it?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What the hell is Hogan wearing on his face in the promo with Warrior for the Summerslam ‘91 main event?

Good question.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

clearly that's the mask they gave Killer Kross a couple of weeks before he was fired from the Fed

e: no, wait, it was FAR uglier than that

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

RandolphCarter posted:

It was also the name of Shane Helms' final WCW theme which had some very dodgy piano and the chorus:

Vertebreaker! We'll break your spine!
Vertebreaker! Does the trick every time!
Vertebreaker! We'll slap your face!
Vertebreaker! We'll break you like the boys at the base!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YAcd4KdHe8

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hoss Corncave posted:

It was also the name of Shane Helms' final WCW theme which had some very dodgy piano and the chorus:

Its just a straight rip of ODB's Shimmy Shimmy Ya

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Alaois posted:

Its just a Jimmy Hart Variant of ODB's Shimmy Shimmy Ya

Fixed that for you.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The Most 1990s thing about Vertebreaker is that the character "Vertebreaker" never even appeared in a Spawn comic, to my knowledge.

1. Todd McFarlane created a super evil badass extreme demon named THE VIOLATOR in the second issue of Spawn.
2. In a weird flex that eventually led to a bunch of lawsuits he paid six figures to Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Dave Sim, and Frank Miller to all write single issues of Spawn to prove "Image has the best writers AND artists".
3. Alan Moore in his single issue decides that Violator should have demon brothers named Vindicator, Vandalizer, Vaporizer, and Vacillator. This is maybe a parody of Sandman?
4. This concept somehow spins off into multiple mini-series that Alan Moore also writes, which become increasingly slapstick.
5. Todd McFarlane Toys decides making 'new' version of Violator is a good idea, but something more badass and serious than Alan Moore's stuff. Also possibly to avoid lawsuit, they create VERTEBREAKER as an even more extreme monstery Violator.
6. Vertebreaker never appears in the comics.
7. Shane Helms sees a Spawn toy and goes "yes, that is the name of my finisher".

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hoss Corncave posted:

Fixed that for you.

My favorite of the death-era WCW Jimmy Hart themes is Shawn Stasiak's rip of Fatboy Slim's Right Here, Right Now

DO IT DO IT DO IT NOW

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So I never really thought of this before but does Japan have their own words for faces and heels?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

So I never really thought of this before but does Japan have their own words for faces and heels?

Just babyface and heel written in katakana as far as I've seen.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

The Most 1990s thing about Vertebreaker is that the character "Vertebreaker" never even appeared in a Spawn comic, to my knowledge.

1. Todd McFarlane created a super evil badass extreme demon named THE VIOLATOR in the second issue of Spawn.
2. In a weird flex that eventually led to a bunch of lawsuits he paid six figures to Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Dave Sim, and Frank Miller to all write single issues of Spawn to prove "Image has the best writers AND artists".
3. Alan Moore in his single issue decides that Violator should have demon brothers named Vindicator, Vandalizer, Vaporizer, and Vacillator. This is maybe a parody of Sandman?
4. This concept somehow spins off into multiple mini-series that Alan Moore also writes, which become increasingly slapstick.
5. Todd McFarlane Toys decides making 'new' version of Violator is a good idea, but something more badass and serious than Alan Moore's stuff. Also possibly to avoid lawsuit, they create VERTEBREAKER as an even more extreme monstery Violator.
6. Vertebreaker never appears in the comics.
7. Shane Helms sees a Spawn toy and goes "yes, that is the name of my finisher".

This rules, thank you for sharing. :tipshat:

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Imagine Shane Helms playing with this guy as a light bulb goes off over his head

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hoss Corncave posted:

I love all the lyrics to WCW themes. It's still hard to top Sting's:

He does this!
He does that!

This AND that. Watch out heels.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Sandman McMahon posted:

Imagine Shane Helms playing with this guy as a light bulb goes off over his head
Todd McFarlane: "Check it out. He's so grim and dark and extreme that we're gonna make his claws and face... uh... TURQUOISE. YEAH. BADASS."

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Good question.
An inverted, patriotic King Hippo head.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Is Bryan Danielson as good as he was at wrestling now as he was before going to wwe or is he better? Like did he have a noticeable improvement since his independent days? I only have his wwe run to compare his current run

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

idk he was one of the best in the world in 2006-7 and now he's one of the best in the world. i personally think he's the best ever.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Shard posted:

Is Bryan Danielson as good as he was at wrestling now as he was before going to wwe or is he better? Like did he have a noticeable improvement since his independent days? I only have his wwe run to compare his current run

It's hard to compare, imo, but the fact that he feels just as good even after all this time + injuries means he's even better/smart to compensate.

Dick Swiveller
Mar 2, 2011

Does anyone know the history of why the "Relevos Australianos" rules are called that? Went to a CMLL show last week and popped like a sad bag of gas for an extremely oblique mention of Australia.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Shard posted:

He's a better promo now. He's less likely to do a 90 minute match now so that's a positive. But he's obviously got more wear on the tires now. You ask me to pick between ROH champ 2006 Danielson & 2022 AEW Danielson & I'm picking 2006 because he was more or less fully formed by then but Bryan today is much more comfortable as a TV wrestler. So there are improvements but they aren't huge

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dick Swiveller posted:

Does anyone know the history of why the "Relevos Australianos" rules are called that? Went to a CMLL show last week and popped like a sad bag of gas for an extremely oblique mention of Australia.

Could it has something to do with the old wrestling lore that tag team wrestling was invented in Australia?

Dick Swiveller
Mar 2, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Could it has something to do with the old wrestling lore that tag team wrestling was invented in Australia?

I had no idea this was a thing. Our one good contribution to the culture.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Here I was thinking that it's called the Vertebreaker because it breaks your vertebrae, but apparently there's a complicated backstory.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What's the story behind why Alex Zayne wrestled only 15 matches in the first 10 years of his career with huge gaps in between, then suddenly he was everywhere? Dude probably has the weirdest Cagematch record I've ever seen, unless he was in a bunch of really obscure indies they don't keep track of.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
more like so drat in Zayn

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he worked outlaw mud shows in indiana/ohio/kentucky/tennessee. that type of stuff doesn't get put on cagematch. you have to at least be a piece of poo poo very tiny independent company to make it on there, rather than a few boys' made up bullshit and they pay people $20 if enough people showed up to watch it, or nothing if they didn't. i made this up about alex zayne. don't know anything about the guy. but that stuff exists so it's a possible origin with no backing behind it being accurate. whoop my rear end

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Cavauro posted:

he worked outlaw mud shows in indiana/ohio/kentucky/tennessee. that type of stuff doesn't get put on cagematch. you have to at least be a piece of poo poo very tiny independent company to make it on there, rather than a few boys' made up bullshit and they pay people $20 if enough people showed up to watch it, or nothing if they didn't. i made this up about alex zayne. don't know anything about the guy. but that stuff exists so it's a possible origin with no backing behind it being accurate. whoop my rear end
This sounds exactly correct per what I just found when checking Cagematch's listings for my friend from my backyard fed who made it as BIG TIME as TNA Xplosion. Nothing from his late 90s/early 2000s life is listed despite the fact that he probably wrestled more then than by the time it starts showing him. Alex Zayne probably just lucked out with one early booking as far as Cagematch is concerned?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

This sounds exactly correct per what I just found when checking Cagematch's listings for my friend from my backyard fed who made it as BIG TIME as TNA Xplosion. Nothing from his late 90s/early 2000s life is listed despite the fact that he probably wrestled more then than by the time it starts showing him. Alex Zayne probably just lucked out with one early booking as far as Cagematch is concerned?

For a lot of indy guys the key is becoming friends with or having a great match with a top indy guy who has NJPW or PWG connections

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

What's the story behind why Alex Zayne wrestled only 15 matches in the first 10 years of his career with huge gaps in between, then suddenly he was everywhere? Dude probably has the weirdest Cagematch record I've ever seen, unless he was in a bunch of really obscure indies they don't keep track of.

he's was literally a backyard wrestler

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

OK here's my question:

Did anyone else not realize until just now that it's called the RKO because Randy Orton's middle initial is K?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No, just you

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Dino Bravo and Don Muraco weren't the same person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Dino Bravo and Don Muraco weren't the same person?

Muraco was actually good