Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

D-Pad posted:

Ebook is going up for preorder next week as well

Ah sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Dang there's a book about the Volpone Bluebloods in the Sunday Preview, they were interesting in an insufferable aristo way and I'd like to see more. But also it's a Nick Kyme book

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

DaysBefore posted:

But also it's a Nick Kyme book

You know, I'm sure he's a great editor.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Read The Infinite and the Divine on the recommendation of this thread and the first 2/3rds was excellent. Felt it kinda lost itself in the final fifty pages, which was too bad because I really enjoyed the back and forth scheming between Orikan and Trayzn.

I've mainly read Dan Abnett (all but the first couple Ghost books and all of the Eisenhorn/Ravenor/Bequin series) and the Ciaphas Cain novels. What would folks suggest for something that will make me feel dread even on a sunny day, but also doesn't have characters that are obviously going to survive because of their role in the tabletop?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

DaysBefore posted:

Dang there's a book about the Volpone Bluebloods in the Sunday Preview, they were interesting in an insufferable aristo way and I'd like to see more. But also it's a Nick Kyme book

That's the German version in the preview. The English one is already out. I haven't read it yet but heard it isn't bad if you like the bluebloods.

habeasdorkus posted:

Read The Infinite and the Divine on the recommendation of this thread and the first 2/3rds was excellent. Felt it kinda lost itself in the final fifty pages, which was too bad because I really enjoyed the back and forth scheming between Orikan and Trayzn.

I've mainly read Dan Abnett (all but the first couple Ghost books and all of the Eisenhorn/Ravenor/Bequin series) and the Ciaphas Cain novels. What would folks suggest for something that will make me feel dread even on a sunny day, but also doesn't have characters that are obviously going to survive because of their role in the tabletop?

If you want dread I would read Requiem Infernal or The Reverie. Both insanely excellent horror by Peter Fehervari.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

D-Pad posted:

That's the German version in the preview. The English one is already out. I haven't read it yet but heard it isn't bad if you like the bluebloods.

The thing about the Bluebloods is they haven't actually been in an Abnett book for 20 years. They were pretty thinly sketched aristocratic archetypes there, anchored in a much stronger book overall (Necropolis). Handing them to Kyme was just the kiss of death for them.

He's trying to flesh them out like other better authors would, and the internal politics of the regiment has the germ of an interesting idea. But overall the book just is quite boring.

It feels like the mediocre guard novels of 20 years ago when we know BL can be more nowadays.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

They also had a short story in the Sabbat Worlds anthology book from 2010, but it too was a Kyme thing. I guess they just belong to him now lmao. The short wasn't too bad though, they met up with a regiment from a feral world so that was neat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The one short where they teamed up with a Scion strike force was hot trash that just abruptly ends without resolving anything.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To be fair, that's because "Scions" are just Stormtroopers that got wodged in for copyright purposes and we all know how well the books about new toys are written.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

To be fair, that's because "Scions" are just Stormtroopers that got wodged in for copyright purposes and we all know how well the books about new toys are written.

This is probably a case of bad author more than having to fit the models into the fiction.

I mean besides the name change Stormtroopers had already been in books. I've never felt Scions were a particularly egregious addition, just another elite special unit in a galaxy full of them.

Abnett himself introduced them fairly organically in the Ghosts series, and he's normally pretty immune to new modelitis (inventing tons of wacky stuff for his books that's never gotten or ever will get models).

In The Warmaster they show up because its the Ghosts (and readers) first look at the absolute upper echelon of the Crusade command structure, and of course the elite bodyguard special forces would be all over that.

That's how a good BL author organically rolls in stuff that GW wants to push if you ask me.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Infinite and The Devine audio book so far. :kiss: I love that the story is basically two assholes trolling the poo poo out of each other. Also Robert Rath's council meeting made me chuckle a ton, especially as an Attoreny. I love Trayzan, his personality, his love of knowledge and history, and him being a dick. lol

Richard Reed is also a fantastic narrator/VA.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

The one short where they teamed up with a Scion strike force was hot trash that just abruptly ends without resolving anything.

I remember reading that one.
I think there was some Chaos witch in it. And that's all I remember of it. v:v:v

Admittedly it's been a couple of years since I read any of the anthologies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cooked Auto posted:

I remember reading that one.
I think there was some Chaos witch in it. And that's all I remember of it. v:v:v

Admittedly it's been a couple of years since I read any of the anthologies.

That's literally all that happens. The scions roll up, talk poo poo to the Volpone, and then a Witch appears and they shoot at it. Then the story ends with a historical excerpt saying this was the first time the crusade met a Witch on the battlefield.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

The Infinite and The Devine audio book so far. :kiss: I love that the story is basically two assholes trolling the poo poo out of each other. Also Robert Rath's council meeting made me chuckle a ton, especially as an Attoreny. I love Trayzan, his personality, his love of knowledge and history, and him being a dick. lol

Richard Reed is also a fantastic narrator/VA.

Once again I am going to recommend Rites of Passage for anybody who enjoyed Infinite and Trazyn's dickishness

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

wiegieman posted:

You know, I'm sure he's a great editor.

He’s ADB’s editor, so it seems like this is really the case.

a lovely king posted:

In The Warmaster they show up because its the Ghosts (and readers) first look at the absolute upper echelon of the Crusade command structure, and of course the elite bodyguard special forces would be all over that.

That's how a good BL author organically rolls in stuff that GW wants to push if you ask me.

I didn’t even know the Scions were a thing they were pushing, I thought Abnett just created an elite guard unit because the book dealt so heavily with the high command.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 11, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

a lovely king posted:

This is probably a case of bad author more than having to fit the models into the fiction.

I mean besides the name change Stormtroopers had already been in books. I've never felt Scions were a particularly egregious addition, just another elite special unit in a galaxy full of them.

Abnett himself introduced them fairly organically in the Ghosts series, and he's normally pretty immune to new modelitis (inventing tons of wacky stuff for his books that's never gotten or ever will get models).

It's a little extra weird when you see things change name for no particular reason. They could have just decided that everyone was going to call theirs Kasrkin too, because Cadia is so badass or something if they really wanted to keep things copyrightable. It's just particularly jarring in the course of a long running series where everyone stops talking about "the guard" and starts talking about the "astra militarum" instead.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The sudden introduction of "lasriflemen" in Salvation's Reach is definitely one that brought me out of the loop a little.
It was either in Reach or the second anthology at least.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

The sudden introduction of "lasriflemen" in Salvation's Reach is definitely one that brought me out of the loop a little.

That's a weird one because it's not even something thrown in because of the models. Abnett is a big history buff and he probably just came across a similar phrase while writing that one.

Not unlike GRRM having new favourite 'historical' phrases in every book that he overuses then drops in the next one.

Abnett seems to fixate on different kinds of military history or fiction across different books (trench warfare, special ops, politics of command, armoured warfare) and clearly researches a lot of stuff, then moves onto the next thing in the next book.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

a lovely king posted:

Not unlike GRRM having new favourite 'historical' phrases in every book that he overuses then drops in the next one.

I like that implication little and less. About as useful as nipples on a breastplate.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nipples on breastplates are obviously useless and hilariously well attested so what can you do

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_cuirass

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cooked Auto posted:

That's just an assumption that a lasgun fills the role of a rifle in a post -US Civil War infantry section, and thus sections are composed of lasriflemen, and him having already decided to call the guns "lasrifles" from very early on. "Laslocks" were a real weird thing to show up though.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

That's just an assumption that a lasgun fills the role of a rifle in a post -US Civil War infantry section, and thus sections are composed of lasriflemen, and him having already decided to call the guns "lasrifles" from very early on. "Laslocks" were a real weird thing to show up though.

Laslocks are just the wind up guns from that one Futurama episode.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Sephyr posted:

I like that implication little and less. About as useful as nipples on a breastplate.

Nipples on a breastplate do have a use, it's just a cosmetic use. The guy who can afford extra detailing on his armor is the guy who's rich enough to be a good employer.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Abnett also uses just 'lasman' which is a lot less clunky and is basically just another way to say 'soldier'. It is gendered though, which is no problem in some contexts but I do kinda wish he used something neutral like 'trooper' more often (of course Guardsman is also gendered which sucks because it's cool)

But yeah whenever there's a long running series and the author suddenly catches on a new phrase or term or saying it's super noticable. Of course Abnett also invented some of the most widely-used terms in 40k iirc so I guess he can get away with it.

DaysBefore fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 11, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

a lovely king posted:

I just assumed Laslocks were like bolt action rifles, slower rate of fire but still, you know, guns. It's just that no-one would use one in war if they had a modern weapon available.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

The hardass trials for new aspirants that many chapters do are actually meaningless and a waste of life, just another instance of 'hard places create hard men' poo poo. Read Scars, from the Horus Heresy. There it shows a training center in Terra that selected aspirants for implantation to be recruited by nearly all legions before they set up their recruiting methods in their own worlds. No treks in death worlds, no gladiatorial blood games, no nonsense, just endurance and fitness tests.

Bit of a throw back to earlier in the thread, but this comes up at the end of Devastation of Baal, with Guilliman saying "this death world poo poo ends now, you'll do better if your population don't live in a constant life/death struggle hell hole. We have technology you loving morons"

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I just assumed Laslocks were like bolt action rifles, slower rate of fire but still, you know, guns. It's just that no-one would use one in war if they had a modern weapon available.

Yeah they're definitely written as bolt action lasguns. I was just goofing about the futurama guns.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

They are bolt action laguns with the upside that they are higher "caliber"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

a lovely king posted:

I kind of assumed it's like loading those lovely knockoff NERF shotguns except instead of foam darts it's shoving sci-fi AA batteries in the breach.

DaysBefore posted:

Abnett also uses just 'lasman' which is a lot less clunky and is basically just another way to say 'soldier'. It is gendered though, which is no problem in some contexts but I do kinda wish he used something neutral like 'trooper' more often (of course Guardsman is also gendered which sucks because it's cool)

But yeah whenever there's a long running series and the author suddenly catches on a new phrase or term or saying it's super noticable. Of course Abnett also invented some of the most widely-used terms in 40k iirc so I guess he can get away with it.
The problem with "trooper" is that Abnett is the kind of grog to know that only calvary soldiers are troopers, and then you have the problem of addressing the corporals and upwards since it's actually a rank.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

The problem with "trooper" is that Abnett is the kind of grog to know that only calvary soldiers are troopers, and then you have the problem of addressing the corporals and upwards since it's actually a rank.

He sort of retconned himself in the GG series as he presumably got more knowledgeable about military stuff.

At the beginning of the series the Ghosts are just tons of platoons, led by sergeants. One major and one colonel above all of those for the entire regiment. Kinda weird.

Then once the regiment gets a rejig in His Last Command it seems he decided to make it a little more 'realistic' and reorganised it so the sergeants became captains, platoons become companies and there's more than one major for the entire regiment.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Telsa Cola posted:

They are bolt action laguns with the upside that they are higher "caliber"

Something like an in-between from a regular power cartridge lasgun and the high powered, single-use hotshot power cartridges.

Early Ghosts books giving the regiment a strange organizational structure does fit with them essentially being the dregs that survived the bombardment and Gaunt giving brevet promotions to the leaders who emerged from the rankers since they had no officer corps when they fled Tanith.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 11, 2022

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I listened to Kyme's Blueblood book and actually liked it. It wasn't great, but it was a fun diversion, more of a mystery novel than standard military fiction. The main protagonist is kind of a stereotypical stiff-upper-lip soldier's soldier, but his star-crossed past romance with another male officer kept me interested. I really wanted them to kiss and tell each other their feelings.

As for the Great Renaming, I hate it so very much. I understand the logic of it, but it's such a nakedly corporate decision and the new names are so universally awful. They could have chosen names that were consistent with earlier 40k faux Latin but instead went the lazy route. The Imperial Guard could be the Adeptus Milites or something but instead they googled "star army".

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I also thought the platoon thing was because the Ghosts aren't (supposed to be) a standard front line trench fighting regiment but a bunch of flexible sneaky boys. And also because GW doesn't understand armies so there will be regiments of tens of thousands of troopers led by a Colonel who also fights alongside the grunts.

The Tanith 1st definitely got a lot more realistic once His Last Command changed the structure of the regiment. Then you have things like Salvations Reach showing them getting reinforcements from (2/3rds of) the homeworlds which was cool.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

My assumption was they had to build up a charge in a capacitor between shots, so much slower firing.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

D-Pad posted:

Once again I am going to recommend Rites of Passage for anybody who enjoyed Infinite and Trazyn's dickishness

Thanks! I’ll keep that one as a wishlist book for when I clear my backlog…or at least a little bit.

But yeah Trayzan is such a master troll, it’s nice to see the Waldorf and Statler of 40K.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

a lovely king posted:

He sort of retconned himself in the GG series as he presumably got more knowledgeable about military stuff.

At the beginning of the series the Ghosts are just tons of platoons, led by sergeants. One major and one colonel above all of those for the entire regiment. Kinda weird.

Then once the regiment gets a rejig in His Last Command it seems he decided to make it a little more 'realistic' and reorganised it so the sergeants became captains, platoons become companies and there's more than one major for the entire regiment.
Yeah, he definitely did that. I feel like it kind of works with how things shook out and with Gaunt being exactly the opposite of what Rawne accuses him of. He's actually way too invested in his grunts. As things moved into the higher politics of the crusade there needed to be layers of command and it's interesting to see that they picked up majors and captains while on Verghast, but still no lieutenants until way later. I'm not sure they got any lieutenant-colonels at all yet, but hypothetically Corbec could have been one all along since the "lieutenant" bit is often dropped in direct address.

Arc Hammer posted:

Early Ghosts books giving the regiment a strange organizational structure does fit with them essentially being the dregs that survived the bombardment and Gaunt giving brevet promotions to the leaders who emerged from the rankers since they had no officer corps when they fled Tanith.
This really explains why there are no lieutenants and platoons are led by the platoon sergeants. It's the job of the platoon sergeant to actually do the directing of units in the field, so presumably all the boring paperwork was abstracted away in the off-page action. Oooor that's why they ended up with the wrong ammo that one time :shrug:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Abstracted to some departmento munitorum scribe's desk way back at Segmentum Command eighty sectors away.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Thanks! I’ll keep that one as a wishlist book for when I clear my backlog…or at least a little bit.

But yeah Trayzan is such a master troll, it’s nice to see the Waldorf and Statler of 40K.

Cheta (from Rites of Passage) is all four Golden Girls combined and put in charge of a navigator house. I really really want to see a Trazyn vs Cheta book it would be amazing.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Sephyr posted:

How else are you going to intimidate the enemy with the size of your areolas if you don't have your nipples represented on your armor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Vaults of terra Dark City speculation ahead: so I'm pretty sure the dark eldar got ahold of the custodian Navradaran as part of their bargain, and Crowl knows and will go there to rescue him. right? thats my theory and I hope you enjoyed it