Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I though the phenex was all undergated to avoid that?

According to mecha, it mostly is, but there are a few spots that show. Not as much as the high grade version, but still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's technically not adding the backlog if it's just resin conversion kits for stuff I already own right?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Where is a good place to buy gunpla in the UK? I'm looking at atarting the hobby with some of the EVA figures.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Where is a good place to buy gunpla in the UK? I'm looking at atarting the hobby with some of the EVA figures.

GundamMad.co.uk tends to have the largest range and cheapest prices. Really crappy website, so use the search function. Their payment processor worried me the first time I used them, but it's been fine.

I've also used OEShop.co.uk though for most kits they tend to be slightly more expensive, and the range / stock is a bit smaller. They do usually have a wider range of tools and paints to make up for it, including some of the cheaper options like dspiae markers, and may work out better if you're local to them (Edinbrugh).

HobbyFrontline are supposed to be good if you're in NI/know how the current import situation works, and are the only place I know of that does pre-orders, though I've yet to actually use them (for reasons of said import situation).

As a last resort there's amazon but make sure to double check you picked an option sold & dispatched by amazon themselves or you're likely to get a HG when you order an RG despite whatever the page may say. Maybe ebay too? I think a number of smaller places just sell on marketplaces rather than set up sites themselves.

(Don't bother looking at places like HLJ, as the shipping per item tends to cost more than the kit and you're liable for the import duties on top.)

Veotax
May 16, 2006

There's also Japan Craft, they sometimes have a decent selection and also have a physical store if you're in London. The only loving store in the city that sells Gunpla as far as I know

https://japancraft.co.uk/manga-anime.html?anime_type=283&limit=all

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Veotax posted:

There's also Japan Craft, they sometimes have a decent selection and also have a physical store if you're in London. The only loving store in the city that sells Gunpla as far as I know

https://japancraft.co.uk/manga-anime.html?anime_type=283&limit=all

Forbidden Planet on Shaftesbury avenue has some, but an odd selection. Had loads of RG Zeongs a couple of months ago. Japan Craft in Camden (I think there may be another one?) has loads, unless you're super picky something should take your fancy. I got HG Flauros at the weekend there, pleasantly surprised at the selection given how little luck I've had online of late, I think some may not be in their website. I think there are a couple of comics places in Manchester with some small collections too, I think FP there for one.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I have to wonder if the MGSD thing is a result of Bandai's efforts to bring G Gen and SRW to a global market paying off. I loved the SDCS Gaogaigar and plan on pre-ordering the RG, I'd absolutely buy an SD version with more detail as well.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 1, 2022

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Got this big guy on Facebook marketplace for $250 canadian. This thing's going for like $500 online nowadays, so happy with that.

I have a problem with buying enormous model kits and I refuse to apologize for it. There's so much room to add detail to this guy!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/YouSeeGundam/status/1544003950113947648?s=20&t=uK1YXc57YfT-HCpek9Nk2w

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Monaghan posted:

Got this big guy on Facebook marketplace for $250 canadian. This thing's going for like $500 online nowadays, so happy with that.

I have a problem with buying enormous model kits and I refuse to apologize for it. There's so much room to add detail to this guy!

Have fun!

As static as it is when finished, it's a lot of fun to make and has great presence on display.

Sooooo many leftover pieces perfect for kitbashes though!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They cubed the Ball

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's clearly rectangular

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a Cubeball

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Somewhat tangentially related, but Last Call BBS, the final Zachtronics game, just released on Steam. It's a compilation of retro-styled minigames, one of which is a cute little 'gunpla' building/painting simulator.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Bloody Pom posted:

Somewhat tangentially related, but Last Call BBS, the final Zachtronics game, just released on Steam. It's a compilation of retro-styled minigames, one of which is a cute little 'gunpla' building/painting simulator.

It's also due to hit gamepass sometime today

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Gripweed posted:

They cubed the Ball

This is heresy of the highest order.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
The cube ball is avante guarde art of the highest order and in this 17 part youtube series I will explain all the ways it is subversive and ...

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Me with HG Aerial

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Are there are go-to news sites that people use for info about upcoming pre-orders and things?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's why I check the Moderoid section on HLJ most days, just in case. :shepface:.

I've also only seen two of the ones I want put up for preorder so far as well. :sigh:

(The Aliens Power Loader, and Dann of Thursday)

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Thanks for reminding me that I need to preorder the RG GaoGaiGar as well :negative:

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Hey so what's the recommended air compressor around these parts if I want to get into doing some air brush painting? Also if my wife wants to do cake decorating would it be easier/safer to just get another air brush?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Rabbi Tupac posted:

Hey so what's the recommended air compressor around these parts if I want to get into doing some air brush painting? Also if my wife wants to do cake decorating would it be easier/safer to just get another air brush?

This is what I have and it's been working great for years. You'll see many brands selling a similar or identical model and I think it's the standard for miniatures painting unless you need something fancy : https://www.amazon.com/ZENY-Airbrush-Compressor-Airbrushing-Multipurpose/dp/B01M33C8MV

The most important component is the tank, if you get a compressor that's only the compressor motor part then it has to stay running constantly and will have an inconsistent pressure level.

I don't know anything about edible paints or whatever but you almost certainly want to get a separate airbrush. Even though acrylic water based paints aren't toxic, stuff builds up in there and cleaners might be a problem too. I'd look into it further if you wanted to use the same one, but a separate airbrush seems most safe.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/gundamside_f/status/1545241328098742274?s=20&t=dGspeHUsdqRyrOoqP7CtZw

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Unfortunately the balloons are sofubi and not plamo.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
lmao are those balloon decoy pillows

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
They look like real pillows to me!

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
I love those balloons.

Having some trouble parsing the katakana for the alternate color Jegan. Anybody have anything better than "Axis Shock Image Color?"

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Just Dan Again posted:

I love those balloons.

Having some trouble parsing the katakana for the alternate color Jegan. Anybody have anything better than "Axis Shock Image Color?"

Pretty sure that's it. Sounds like a reference to the end scene of CCA

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

So I made and painted a gunp! First time airbrushing - have bounced off airbrushing before as I had huge trouble getting it to work, but a combination of the mystic runes aligning and also taking the thing to bits, cleaning it thoroughly, and getting a replacement nozzle / needle in case I’d bent them made the whole thing work perfectly.

Pretty pleased with how it came out, though the black is honestly too deep, but I’m super happy with the hazard lines (not perfect but first time masking too!) and the grey green I used for the leg sections ties things together nicely. Mainly I’m happy because it’s done and I can move on to the backlog I already have! Just started work on a Mailes Reiki - I’m much more into things with weird articulation than the normal human body plan gundams - and want to try some more adventurous painting techniques. Watch this space!*

*for like the six months this next one will take too

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Looks good!

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Ohhhhh, for some reason the word "shock" just didn't jive with the Axis drop in my mind. Thanks, folks!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, they started calling the events of CCA the "Axis Shock" in Unicorn

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Unfortunately the balloons are sofubi and not plamo.

I dunno, I think sofubi is probably the perfect medium for dummy balloons. It's got that realistic squadge.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Made a simple 3d-printed stand base for my Queadluun-Rau kit if anyone wants it. It uses the Action Base support arm.
If anyone wants a Meltrandi emblem stand have fun!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Where does that logo come from? I don't think I've come across it before.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Potsticker posted:

Where does that logo come from? I don't think I've come across it before.

When Macross - Do you Remember Love was produced and the Metrandi were redesigned they also got their own emblem to further differentiate them from the Zentradi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Queadlunn posted:

When Macross - Do you Remember Love was produced and the Metrandi were redesigned they also got their own emblem to further differentiate them from the Zentradi.

Oh nice! That's really cool.