Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

LochNessMonster posted:

drat that must suck. The ones you feel that go well hit the hardest.

The feedback is nice, did they say what the direction they’re taking is and/or why you’re not the person they are looking for?

At least you had a great practicr interview. Keep looking and I’m sure you’ll find another great role where folks will appreciate you and your skills.

It sounded like it was a razor thin margin and the other person just had a bit on me. Honestly I think they had already settled on somebody beforehand and were interviewing for process reasons. It's pretty common in the public job I'm in.

I'm going to apply for a couple other positions tomorrow. I think tonight I'll have a couple beers and try to relax mentally. Don't know what I could have done different to get the job. Just wasn't meant to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
The one interview that I felt like I completely bombed was the job I started today. Idgi but not complaining.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

our CTO moved over to a different role and the CISO is now pushing through his little fiefdom that we're moving to AD and exchange/teams.

I have may have started a minor revolution in the company.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

jaegerx posted:

our CTO moved over to a different role and the CISO is now pushing through his little fiefdom that we're moving to AD and exchange/teams.

I have may have started a minor revolution in the company.

Do you mean Azure AD and Office 365, because if you mean on-premises AD and Exchange then :yikeseroo:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Do you mean Azure AD and Office 365, because if you mean on-premises AD and Exchange then :yikeseroo:

so much this that it didn't even occur to me that he could be talking about the on-prem versions

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

so much this that it didn't even occur to me that he could be talking about the on-prem versions

well given how anti-Microsoft jaegerx is I figured he still called it AD & Exchange in the same way he probably refers to Micro$haft Winblows and thinks they still do embrace-extend-extinguish.

(I mean they still kinda do but it's far heavier on the first two than the last these days I would say).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

fools flowchart for greenfield deployments:

pick your email provider from o365 or gmail

if gmail:
deploy okta and slack

if o365:
use azuread and teams

your cloud provider decision can be made independently of this

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

don't ever deploy on prem endpoint management ever again

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We just moved our SCCM server from 2012 to 2022.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i'm sorry

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Six more weeks and we’re out of our primary datacenter in a colo. Everything of any importance is mostly SaaS or in Azure, with dev/test/crap we don’t care about in our office data center.

I would not want to be in the colo business right now. Three years ago we reduced our footprint from seven racks down to three, and we probably could have squeezed it into two if it weren’t for power requirements for the ucs/pure.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 12, 2022

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

SyNack Sassimov posted:

well given how anti-Microsoft jaegerx is I figured he still called it AD & Exchange in the same way he probably refers to Micro$haft Winblows and thinks they still do embrace-extend-extinguish.

(I mean they still kinda do but it's far heavier on the first two than the last these days I would say).

Yeah I meant the cloud since we have no on prem dc. I’m not anti Microsoft. I do think 2022 server is way overlocked down for an initial install.

I like Microsoft. I just hate the ciso who doesn’t seem to grasp working in an open source company.

Many times I have said that azure is the most put together cloud

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 12, 2022

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jaegerx posted:

Yeah I meant the cloud since we have no on prem dc. I’m not anti Microsoft. I do think 2022 server is way overlocked down for an initial install.

I like Microsoft. I just hate the ciso who doesn’t seem to grasp working in an open source company.

So you work for Vimeo? I recently dodged a series of interviews from them because they were so open source.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Sickening posted:

So you work for Vimeo? I recently dodged a series of interviews from them because they were so open source.

Why?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

It’s not the open source per se, it’s all the extra work that comes with it. I am lazy my dude.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Sickening posted:

It’s not the open source per se, it’s all the extra work that comes with it. I am lazy my dude.

You gotta get in that startup cash, we're gonna get bought soon and i'll get money doubled.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

jaegerx posted:

You gotta get in that startup cash, we're gonna get bought soon and i'll get money doubled.

One of my gigs is. We aren’t open source though.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Cyks posted:

The one interview that I felt like I completely bombed was the job I started today. Idgi but not complaining.

Same and same.

First day went well, my brain hurts but in a good way. I even got a company lunch which was nice. Biggest hurdle is that we're supporting (for at least a few months until we get a new system) software from the 95/98 era that's critical for half of the company.

Now for edibles

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's going to be a few years, not a few months.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
I just got my first real job, doing first line service desk stuff, this thread and a few others have been helpful letting me know what to expect and what red flags to look out for. So thanks I guess.

Still not really clear what day to day is gonna look like aside from taking calls from clients and trying to fix them with Google / escalate them if too tricky. I guess that’s pretty much all it is. I just sort of suddenly had a moment of “wait, is this going to be really hard or do I have a handle on it”

Guess I’ll find out

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Congrats! If you're on first line support the hardest days are going to be when someone else is having a poo poo day and calls and takes it out on you. Just remember to take a deep breath. Oh, and the times when there's outages and the phones are ringing off the hook and all you can do is pick up, hear about how this is causing missed deadlines, then tell them there's no ETA.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

meme posted:

I just got my first real job, doing first line service desk stuff, this thread and a few others have been helpful letting me know what to expect and what red flags to look out for. So thanks I guess.

Still not really clear what day to day is gonna look like aside from taking calls from clients and trying to fix them with Google / escalate them if too tricky. I guess that’s pretty much all it is. I just sort of suddenly had a moment of “wait, is this going to be really hard or do I have a handle on it”

Guess I’ll find out

I recommend getting a project where you are trying to learn a new skill and keep that going in the background between calls.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I like when some peon tries to grill me over some system issue. Has it been fixed? Do we expect to see it again? How did the talk wit their team go?

"It has not been resolved yet."

You're not in IT. Your title doesn't say director. Piss off!

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 12, 2022

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Those drat peons. Always wondering when the stuff you’re responsible for fixing is fixed. loving losers LOL

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

i am a moron posted:

Those drat peons. Always wondering when the stuff you’re responsible for fixing is fixed. loving losers LOL

That's all you get to ask. You don't get to ask what I'm trying, what the next steps are, etc. I'll let you know when it's fixed you go back to work.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hey bob is the server working yet?

Nope

You try, uh, making sure it's plugged in?

How about updates you ran the updates?

Is it a window server?

Sometimes my internet goes out at home and...

You run malwarebytes?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Are they peons though bob or coworkers :thunk:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

i am a moron posted:

Are they peons though bob or coworkers :thunk:

peons

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bob Morales posted:

Hey bob is the server working yet?

Nope

You try, uh, making sure it's plugged in?

How about updates you ran the updates?

Is it a window server?

Sometimes my internet goes out at home and...

You run malwarebytes?

Reminds me of the classic The Website Is Down.

"How many times did you reboot it?"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Hughmoris posted:

Reminds me of the classic The Website Is Down.

"How many times did you reboot it?"

That never gets old and parts make me feel quite nostalgic

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've been kind of wondering if I just make too much money in my current position to be able to transfer to another group within the organization. The salary ranges posted are typically below what I'm making now. I'm fine taking a pay cut to get away from my current situation but I'm worried that hiring managers aren't even bothering with me because they feel like I'll just turn down the job offer.

I'm on a 10% temporary adjustment and a 3% permanent cost of living adjustment which added about $8k to my salary this year alone.

Maybe I'm just being overly negative from getting rejected so quickly yesterday following the interview. I've applied at other positions that are posted but I'm worried the same thing is going to happen. I really want to stay internal due to state pension and benefits so I'm trying to go the transfer route rather than going to private business.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Just a reminder, mental health is a big deal. I am a person who ignores personal problems. I worry about tending to other stuff before myself. I am a constant procrastinator. My wife put pressure on me to see a Dr because she felt I was the poster child for ADHD. Saw a psychiatrist, they diagnosed me with ADHD, and a simple pill makes my life easier every single day of my life.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

meme posted:

Guess I’ll find out

You'll have days where you feel like you can solve any problem and days where you feel like you can't solve anything, just the nature of the job

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sickening posted:

Just a reminder, mental health is a big deal. I am a person who ignores personal problems. I worry about tending to other stuff before myself. I am a constant procrastinator. My wife put pressure on me to see a Dr because she felt I was the poster child for ADHD. Saw a psychiatrist, they diagnosed me with ADHD, and a simple pill makes my life easier every single day of my life.

Yeah I'm already on buspirone and vistaril for anxiety. I'm actively looking for jobs but the process is rather stressful. I'm going to stay positive and keep looking until I can find a position with more reasonable expectations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

Thank you so much for sharing this. I'm glad you took some time for yourself.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my adhd diagnosis story: my pc referred me to a therapist, where I was on a waiting list for 6 months, and whose best advice was "make a todo list" and "put your keys on a hook by the door"

and now i'm on another waiting list

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
You mean you all don't simulate adhd meds with 40+oz of coffee and energy drinks throughout the day? Smdh

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

oh I absolutely do that

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sickening can you share the pill that works for you? I’m gonna try to start up Vyvanse again but I need to see if it makes me feel like garbo by the late afternoon still. I know everybody’s different but it’s valuable to hear positive experiences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

vyvanse is what ended up working for my son, we tried like 3 other ones before that