Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

The committee has delivered thus far. They'd better have some ironclad poo poo to prove intent.

i suspect we have audio or some poo poo at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

This is coming after the Cipollone disposition. Maybe he recorded some meetings?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

At this point I wouldn't be too surprised if he told somebody "tell them they can go in and hang Congress now" then tried unsuccessfully to choke 'em when they refused, then said, "gently caress it, I'll do it, I'm the goddamn President" as he tweeted.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Tayter Swift posted:

This is coming after the Cipollone disposition. Maybe he recorded some meetings?

I doubt it. The stuff about the various groups has been in progress for some time, and the public hearings are just for presenting information to the public, not actual fact finding. Anything they got from Cipollone needs to be vetted and reviewed before its released.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Perhaps they have direct communication between someone near Trump and a Proud Boys/Oath Keepers higher up?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Perhaps they have direct communication between someone near Trump and a Proud Boys/Oath Keepers higher up?

I wonder if they got Tarrio or one of his minions to flip? Its easy to be a brave boi on the outside, but 20 years for seditious conspiracy looks a lot more real and serious after you've been spending the last 6-8 months in the klink.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I look at this the way I think SidneyIsTheKiller is saying.

Based on what you know today, what do you actually think are the chances there isn't a multi-media A/V package of the principles saying, "Please do NOT misunderstand me! I, the President, am telling you, my Nazi supporters, to loving murder anyone who gets in the way of the Coup I planned with Michael Flynn and Steve Bannon! Now, Mr. Tarrio, go hang Mike Pence! No, not that Mike Pence, my vice president Mike Pence!"

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Cimber posted:

I doubt it. The stuff about the various groups has been in progress for some time, and the public hearings are just for presenting information to the public, not actual fact finding. Anything they got from Cipollone needs to be vetted and reviewed before its released.

Ah, but what if they've been sitting on something for a while now and Cipollone is the corroboration?

(Best not to get hopes carried away, though...)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Ah, but what if they've been sitting on something for a while now and Cipollone is the corroboration?

(Best not to get hopes carried away, though...)

Eh, it's fun to speculate.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

I look at this the way I think SidneyIsTheKiller is saying.

Based on what you know today, what do you actually think are the chances there isn't a multi-media A/V package of the principles saying, "Please do NOT misunderstand me! I, the President, am telling you, my Nazi supporters, to loving murder anyone who gets in the way of the Coup I planned with Michael Flynn and Steve Bannon! Now, Mr. Tarrio, go hang Mike Pence! No, not that Mike Pence, my vice president Mike Pence!"

Trump has always operated like a Mafia Don. I highly doubt he has ever so blatantly verbalized his crimes like that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Charliegrs posted:

Trump has always operated like a Mafia Don. I highly doubt he has ever so blatantly verbalized his crimes like that.

But in my cynical, depressed broken brain it’s up to “laughably unlikely” instead of “completely impossible” so I’d give it that at least.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

My guess would be they have some sort of communication from the militia groups saying some version of "if the president tells us to go, we're ready to stop the count by force", and testimony from someone that Trump knew about it.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Jarmak posted:

My guess would be they have some sort of communication from the militia groups saying some version of "if the president tells us to go, we're ready to stop the count by force", and testimony from someone that Trump knew about it.

"oh no! I never said that, my followers were just misunderstanding me! I never meant that, and no one can prove otherwise!"

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Guys did any of you expect Cassidy Hutchinson to testify Trump knew there were guns and knives and spears but said take away the loving metal detectors? Did anyone predict he would be flipping his poo poo when told he couldn't go to the Capitol?

Dream bigger!

E: Graham will have to testify to GA GJ on Aug 2.
https://www.reuters.com/legal/litig...9VXgZf3Fs-BGHoI

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 11, 2022

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Dr. Faustus posted:

Guys did any of you expect Cassidy Hutchinson to testify Trump knew there were guns and knives and spears but said take away the loving metal detectors? Did anyone predict he would be flipping his poo poo when told he couldn't go to the Capitol?

Dream bigger!

Being a pessimist is better for my mental health. I'll be happily surprised if something happens, not depressed if it doesn't.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Jarmak posted:

Isnt there a tweet or something from the leader of one of those dipshit groups that says something like "awaiting your orders sir" after the "stand back and stand by" comment?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Isnt there a tweet or something from the leader of one of those dipshit groups that says something like "awaiting your orders sir" after the "stand back and stand by" comment?
Yeah after the debate when Trump was asked to condemn the Proud Boys he said, "Stand back and stand by" and PB leader Enrique Tarrio tweeted, "standing by, sir"

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Cimber posted:

"oh no! I never said that, my followers were just misunderstanding me! I never meant that, and no one can prove otherwise!"

That would be the defense, I think how well that defense works, if at all, would be contingent on just how damning that communication and testimony sounds.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

E: Graham will have to testify to GA GJ on Aug 2.
https://www.reuters.com/legal/litig...9VXgZf3Fs-BGHoI

Was just coming to post this. Graham’s rebellion lasted all of, what, a week before it got slammed down on? This is a state criminal process and SCOTUS has no say in it unless it violates the constitution and it doesn’t.

Even if he appeals it’s such an obvious application of law that the appellate court likely won’t hear it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The hearing scheduled for Thursday has been postponed, but is still planned to be in primetime.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Man, today got me pretty excited.

The idea that Bannon could again be a convicted criminal by the end of next week has me pretty stoked. That his conviction will signal the beginning of the end of absurd executive privilege claims for anyone who wasn’t a direct White House employed advisor to the president will be even better. That it will be clear that even if they do have some valid claims to privilege they still will have to show up and answer questions is even better than that.

If I were the J06 crew I would have a slew of subpoenas ready to go for the minute that judge announces the jury verdict. They’re all going to be so eager to come in and sit down for a talk that they’ll have to wait in line.

Even if Bannon only gets the minimum sentence it’s still a solid victory.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Edward Mass posted:

The hearing scheduled for Thursday has been postponed, but is still planned to be in primetime.

What's with all the drat delays?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

What's with all the drat delays?

APPARENTLY, they need time to process all the new information from Cipollone, and the plans for a hearing on July 14th weren't actually finalized.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Edward Mass posted:

APPARENTLY, they need time to process all the new information from Cipollone
loving gold.

lol at watching Proud Boys video conference call footage for DC on 01/06. Seized off Tarrio's phone this year.

...and now Roger Stone had a documentary film crew, too. That is four documentary film crews, right?

C'mon.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 12, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

loving gold.

lol at watching Proud Boys video conference call footage for DC on 01/06. Seized off Tarrio's phone this year.

...and now Roger Stone had a documentary film crew, too. That is four documentary film crews, right?

C'mon.

I recently watched the Fyre Festival documentary on Netflix and that one too was about a film crew initially hired by a group of Dunning-Kruger-brained idiots who thought all the way through that they absolutely nailed their little scheme only for all the video footage to end up as criminal evidence used against them to prove how guilty they were.

The would-be J6 documentaries reeks of that poo poo too.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Forgive my ignorance but does all this evidence then turn into a DOJ investigation if so desired? Is no one concerned that losing the House and Senate in the midterms is going to really gum this up?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

cr0y posted:

Forgive my ignorance but does all this evidence then turn into a DOJ investigation if so desired? Is no one concerned that losing the House and Senate in the midterms is going to really gum this up?

Yes they can, and they can send DOJ information that they have not publicly released.

DOJ does not depend on the makeup of Congress, just the White House. The Committee always planned to wrap their work up this year, for obvious reasons.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

cr0y posted:

There already is a DOJ investigation and they've already asked to crib off the committee's notes. The House is in danger the Senate seems fairly even (people are piiiiissed about Roe v Wade and those paying attention to Jan 6 are also increasingly Spock-eyebrowing poo poo) but this committee will be wrapping it up before midterms so the most likely effect is the newly Republican House launching 48 separate investigations into Hunter Biden's laptop/Burisma/insert rightwing talking point here.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cr0y posted:

It's up to the DOJ if they want to investigate and prosecute now. It always has been. But Merrick Garland's DOJ has been incredible opaque and slow moving, if it moves at all. The general consensus appears to be that the DOJ is actually kind of mad at the J6 Committee for even bringing this stuff up at all because they were having a nice little nap and it's making it hard for them to go back to sleep with all of these witnesses and evidence of clear and intentional wrongdoing that they keep revealing to the public.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
WaPo says there will be a former Oath Keeper testifying tomorrow.

Unsure if it's live or taped deposition.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 12, 2022

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Trump rally in Greensboro NC this Friday was canceled and they dont know why

https://greensboro.com/news/local/g...865b0df311.html

lol, $4k

quote:

Ticket prices ranged from $9 for a spot in an overflow room to $3,995 or more for seating closer to the stage, though the venue was not announced when tickets went on sale.

Maybe its because of
https://www.npr.org/2022/06/08/1103851631/trump-questioning-july-ny-civil-probe
https://twitter.com/ReutersLegal/status/1546513392893997058

OgNar fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 12, 2022

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

The general consensus appears to be that the DOJ is actually kind of mad at the J6 Committee for even bringing this stuff up at all because they were having a nice little nap and it's making it hard for them to go back to sleep with all of these witnesses and evidence of clear and intentional wrongdoing that they keep revealing to the public.
Or, you could say the DOJ is very opaque and we don't know much else except in the last few weeks they have taken electronics from Rudy Giuliani and John Eastman and others while serving search warrants (which they had to convince a court they had evidence of crimes and that the cell phones they seized are likely to have evidence) and also scooped up people in I think all seven of the swing states where the fake electors scheme was being aided by GOP legislators and RNC staff, showing DOJ is already heading up the food chain to Trump.
I honestly don't know why people don't realize what a big loving deal that is.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

Or, you could say the DOJ is very opaque and we don't know much else except in the last few weeks they have taken electronics from Rudy Giuliani and John Eastman and others while serving search warrants (which they had to convince a court they had evidence of crimes and that the cell phones they seized are likely to have evidence) and also scooped up people in I think all seven of the swing states where the fake electors scheme was being aided by GOP legislators and RNC staff, showing DOJ is already heading up the food chain to Trump.

Because people have become numbed to this "the walls are closing in around Donald Trump" bullshit over the course of 6 years now, so one one is really going to give a poo poo or believe it's true until Trump is actually perp walked in handcuffs.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
To the point of ignoring public-facing court records that confirm the scope and target of the DOJ investigation, as if there is some other reason to charge Oathkeepers and Proud Boys with Seditious Conspiracy and enacting warrants on Jeff Clark and John Eastman and Rudy Giuliani?
Sometimes it's like right there in front of you, bro.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dr. Faustus posted:

I think we're all gun shy, honestly. With all the poo poo that he has absolutely done and we could nail him to the loving wall for, he hasn't faced any real consequences for anything in his entire life. Call it a learned behavior. Why would we feel any other way with literally zero examples of that motherfucker getting a comeuppance?

I want it as bad as anyone here, and if that day ever comes, this is the first place I'll come to celebrate. But I'll believe it when I see it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I think we're all gun shy, honestly. With all the poo poo that he has absolutely done and we could nail him to the loving wall for, he hasn't faced any real consequences for anything in his entire life. Call it a learned behavior. Why would we feel any other way with literally zero examples of that motherfucker getting a comeuppance?

I want it as bad as anyone here, and if that day ever comes, this is the first place I'll come to celebrate. But I'll believe it when I see it.

At the same time, don't dismiss painfully obvious evidence that poo poo is happening behind the scenes, and this isn't just wishcasting/Mueller Time II Electric Boogaloo.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
If anything, this process has shown how loving hard it is to indite a former U.S. President. A smoking gun isn't enough, you need video of the bullet leaving the gun and multiple witnesses just to get some people to say "yeah, maybe there WAS a crime".

Not that it would be a good idea to make it easier. That was be problematic.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
tldr :tizzy: I'm a realist (cynic+pessimist), so at best "cautiously optimistic" that the law will be upheld.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Because it's too close. Why wasn't he indicted six months ago? If all this new evidence is coming out as reaction to the hearings, why didn't they have them six months ago. Why do I have to deal with an extra half a year of listening to that bloated pumpkin go on and on about how he's going to be our dictator in 2024? And all his toadies so busy making sucking sounds it's surprising they can even come up for air to spit their forkèd tongues for him.

Because it's not enough. Because he hosed half the supreme court. And the other half was hosed by Bush. Oh and he was president without the popular vote (and without my vote :colbert:) and the electoral college is still a mess or we wouldn't be here, and McConnell exists (I don't mean the person, whose life and liberty I'll support, I mean anyone filling that position like that scumbag) because the Senate also doesn't represent us. Because even if they put them all in prison (or Mar a Lego arrest) there's no way the entire GOP house goes down so we're still stuck with a bunch who can only scream loudly about nothing, lie like cows in a pasture, and get 45% of the vote.

Because people don't realize what a big loving deal it is. Because they aren't watching it, because they're watching Six Brothers for Throne's Housewives and Ponies for the Precious Princesses. Because they don't grasp how important it is to have a constitution that means something, an oath of office that holds value, and representation that will never be perfect but still isn't trying to actively murder everyone. Because we don't even provide basic voter education, let alone anything anymore that isn't a checkbox to a cashier's job or true/false to truck salesman.

Because we're even at a point where we're having this conversation. :pluto: Because this isn't The Big Deal, it's like door 57 on a bad vacation in Hilbert's Hotel.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
There's a difference between being unethical (but legal) and breaking the law. Trump did both, but you can't arrest him for being a terrible human being. If he had accepted the 2020 election results and the January 6 attack didn't happen, he'd almost certainly spend the rest of his life a free man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

nine-gear crow posted:

It's up to the DOJ if they want to investigate and prosecute now. It always has been. But Merrick Garland's DOJ has been incredible opaque and slow moving, if it moves at all. The general consensus appears to be that the DOJ is actually kind of mad at the J6 Committee for even bringing this stuff up at all because they were having a nice little nap and it's making it hard for them to go back to sleep with all of these witnesses and evidence of clear and intentional wrongdoing that they keep revealing to the public.

Well there's two more recognizably valid reasons why DoJ would be irritated at the J6 Committee:

1) The committee has been reluctant to share complete interview transcripts and Rep. Thomas has said he's willing to share them after their investigation is concluded but has otherwise not been very forthcoming, and

2) such visible public testimony from potential witnesses is any actual criminal case is only going to be fodder for defense attorneys who are going to look for the most minor inconsistencies between the taped depositions and the live hearings and use them as ammo to mitigate the credibility of eyewitness accounts. See the recent Sussmann prosecution. Sussmann's lawyers were able to use Baker's various public testimonies to Congress to muddy the admittedly already shabby case that Durham was making.