Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

HIMARS paying dividends in a number of ways
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1546565160462159872?s=20&t=EzUd5UoyTU68J1U4mqrb8g
https://twitter.com/TelegraphWorld/status/1546420957925056512?s=20&t=EzUd5UoyTU68J1U4mqrb8g
https://twitter.com/TelegraphWorld/status/1546420967995490304?s=20&t=EzUd5UoyTU68J1U4mqrb8g
[Igor Strelkov confirmed]
https://twitter.com/TelegraphWorld/status/1546420974433746947?s=20&t=EzUd5UoyTU68J1U4mqrb8g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Your daily Russian ammo depot vs HIMARS. Somewhere near Nova Kahkovka

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1546583740184514560?cxt=HHwWgMC-kfbtyPYqAAAA

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1546584948932575232

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Jesus they're just picking them off one by one. Wonder what the Russians are gonna do about it, they're gonna be fuckin mad.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

aphid_licker posted:

Jesus they're just picking them off one by one. Wonder what the Russians are gonna do about it, they're gonna be fuckin mad.

Hopefully they declare victory and go home.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

All options to deal with this will complicate logistics significantly. They either:

A) Push the depots 100km back from the front - extending the logistics train and questionably possible to even accomplish in a reasonable time.

B) Distribute the ammunition to smaller caches... complicating the movement and protection of ammunition in the process.

Edit:. But surely Russia has infinite shells and there is no shortage. They'll surely just spin up an order of magnitude more artillery shells from some factories.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 11, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Another WCG post confirmed by reality. ✊ The himars are driving around blowing up arty depot's. But Russia isn't lowering their output of arty strikes and therefore woops we ran out of shells to stop counter offensives

brothers and sisters Decisive victory is within grasp.

God is a ukrianian.

Russia does not have an answer to this. Unless they can accurately start popping HIMARS they're basically going to be on the back food. As stated above the solution is to push arty depot's back further from the front which causes supply delays and also makes it easier to deny the enemy as that's a longer drive trucks or trains have to make and route denial takes place. Deep battle folks. It's a helluva strategy.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 11, 2022

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Another WCG post confirmed by reality. ✊ The himars are driving around blowing up arty depot's. But Russia isn't lowering their output of arty strikes and therefore woops we ran out of shells to stop counter offensives

brothers and sisters Decisive victory is within grasp.

God is a ukrianian.

Russia does not have an answer to this. Unless they can accurately start popping HIMARS they're basically going to be on the back food. As stated above the solution is to push arty depot's back further from the front which causes supply delays and also makes it easier to deny the enemy as that's a longer drive trucks or trains have to make and route denial takes place. Deep battle folks. It's a helluva strategy.

Actually, based on the fire satellite data it looks like they are ramping down their arty barrages....probably due to lack of ammo. Whether it's because there's no ammo to shoot or they're conserving what they have is anyone's question.

No matter what option Russia takes, Ukraine wins--the first part of this war showed just how utter poo poo at logistics Russia is when they're not parked right next to their ammo and fuel dumps. This is a known quantity at this point. So by making them play the logistics game this will--at least in the short term--reap UA some breathing room and maybe a chance to counterattack.

The danger, of course, is that Russia actually learns to logi and then things return to a status quo.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I

OAquinas posted:

Actually, based on the fire satellite data it looks like they are ramping down their arty barrages....probably due to lack of ammo. Whether it's because there's no ammo to shoot or they're conserving what they have is anyone's question.

No matter what option Russia takes, Ukraine wins--the first part of this war showed just how utter poo poo at logistics Russia is when they're not parked right next to their ammo and fuel dumps. This is a known quantity at this point. So by making them play the logistics game this will--at least in the short term--reap UA some breathing room and maybe a chance to counterattack.

The danger, of course, is that Russia actually learns to logi and then things return to a status quo.

The entire War effort needs doctrinal changes to occur in a significant manner. So significant it would require the officer purges of 1936 to actually pull off.

I doubt they will be able to reconstruct their entire organizational structure fast enough to make a difference.

Unless of course the aliens hedge their bets on Russia and start flowing anti matter weapons into the country.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

OAquinas posted:

I don't think Russia has the time or resources to fix this problem. The sanctions mean that even if Russia finds a way to North Korea their economy and society to stay afloat, they won't have the parts or cash to replace what they had in 2021 for decades. And every day the war goes on gives Ukraine more time to train troops safely abroad, and bring more of the top-tier equipment to bear. Also they've lost tens of thousands of their best soldiers, so they lack a lot of potential experienced trainers, thus any change they try to make to doctrine will take that much longer to implement. So for winning the current war, a long term solution is not viable.

Russia will continue making slow gains around Donbass, and I imagine they still have enough shells distributed to the individual BTG's to make Ukraine's counter attacks difficult. But each ammo dump popping off takes a significant chunk out of their last remaining advantage.

I certainly hope this is the war winning development, and if not yet it seems it soon will be as long as more HIMARS come in.

Orthanc6 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 11, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Some more top analysis:

New War on the Rocks with Kofman: https://warontherocks.com/2022/07/is-the-most-important-battle-of-the-war-coming/

Also Lawrence Freedman wrote something new: https://samf.substack.com/p/time-for-the-russian-army-to-take?r=15i4j0&s=w&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=email

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/mdmitri91/status/1546587406530494465

Wish Margarita Simonyan a very uncomfortable cell in Hague

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Just met an older Ukrainian lady walking her dog today. She spoke very little English, but had enough to tell me her lil pup was 18(!) years old and quite shy, so I said that my dog was also very shy and very gentle.
Our dogs got on really well and she and I had a nice little chat in very simple language.
I can't imagine how stressful it is for someone like her, at her age, to move to a completely strange country where she speaks only a little of the languge and try to cope with everything :unsmith:
Fuckers here try to spin a narrative that Ukrainians are chancers trying to get whatever they can from us, and every ukrainian I meet is just trying to keep going, trying to keep it together, hoping to go home someday.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Christopher Miller had a bunch of news today. This one stuck out.

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1546613369230311424?s=20&t=f7vY_v09QCjOBHTXyKe2cg

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Don't really buy it. What does Iran get from this, geopolitically?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Russia on paper always had an answer to stuff like HIMARS - "world's second-best airforce". They ended up being a joke with hundreds of unflyable airframes due to corruption and the inability to produce any of the modern aircraft that the govt was ordering for the past 20 years. Now they're fighting artillery war with 1980s tech against 2010+ tech. So even overwhelming numbers here are not helping as much anymore.

My assumption is ammo depots get split up into smaller caches which should cripple the ability of Russia to fire the 6K shells a day they did in June. Targeting ammo depots is also an absolute home run for Ukraine from an optics perspective. They're using weapons that some were very resistant to give to destroy faceless weapon storage dumps, with minimal to no civilian casualties. Pretty much shooting a gun out of a villain's hand.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 11, 2022

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Hell yeah inject that poo poo directly into my veins.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

That was one sorry excuse for a security droid an ammo dump.
Makes a great bonfire though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Sticking a thumb in the Us's eye is always a primary motivation for Iran.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rad Russian posted:

My assumption is ammo depots get split up into smaller caches which should cripple the ability of Russia to fire the 6K shells a day they did in June. Targeting ammo depots is also an absolute home run for Ukraine from an optics perspective. They're using weapons that some were very resistant to give to destroy faceless weapon storage dumps, with minimal to no civilian casualties. Pretty much shooting a gun out of a villain's hand.

Which brings us back to: more trucks needed to deliver ammo to a bunch of small depot's. More traffic jams or logistical challenges as there's more moving parts to organize.

And if you only have a small depot next to you and that gets popped. Woops the front could collapse.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/mdmitri91/status/1546587406530494465

Wish Margarita Simonyan a very uncomfortable cell in Hague

This wish may be difficult to realize. Sadly, Russia is not signatory to the ICC. This Vox article explains some of the challenges involved:

https://www.vox.com/23017838/international-criminal-court-icc-putin-war-crimes posted:

The bombing of a train station in Ukraine where many were gathered to evacuate. The murder of countless civilians in Bucha and other areas. As evidence of Russian atrocities against Ukraine builds, so do calls to bring the perpetrators to justice — including from US President Joe Biden, who recently said Vladimir Putin should be tried for war crimes.

“You saw what happened in Bucha,” Biden told reporters on Monday. “We have to gather the information ... and we have to get all the detail so this can be an actual, have a war crimes trial,” Biden said, calling Putin “a war criminal.”

While it’s possible to try war crimes in national courts, investigators from the International Criminal Court (ICC) are already working in Ukraine to gather and vet evidence, and a number of nations have already referred the case to the global court, signaling a strong push to bring such crimes to trial.

But it’s not as simple as filing a case at a courthouse; there are practical and political limits to what the ICC can do in any of the crimes it investigates and prosecutes. Among those challenges, in this case, is the fact that neither Russia nor Ukraine is a party to the ICC, although Ukraine recognizes the court’s jurisdiction, so the court can prosecute those responsible for atrocity crimes committed in Ukraine.

The ICC itself is based in the Hague, the Netherlands, but it has 123 member nations all over the world. The court’s remit is to try grievous crimes like war crimes, genocide, crimes against humanity — collectively known as atrocity crimes — and aggression, but it’s not intended to replace national courts, explained Kelebogile Zvobgo, assistant professor of government at the College of William & Mary. “It’s a court of last resort,” she told Vox. “The court only has jurisdiction in places unwilling or unable to investigate or prosecute their own cases.”

Given that the Russian government denies waging war in Ukraine in the first place, much less committing atrocities there, the ICC could be an appropriate mechanism for holding Kremlin officials accountable. But the ICC is not the only avenue to pursue justice for atrocity crimes, and it’s far from guaranteed that Putin or any of his high-level associates would ever stand trial.

A permanent international court is still relatively new

Although the idea for a permanent international criminal court dates back to 1870, the ICC wasn’t established until 1998. The Rome Statute, a product of the UN’s Rome conference where 160 different governments convened to consider an international criminal court, enshrined the ICC as the first permanent international court. It came into force in 2002, after 60 countries had ratified the Rome Statute. The ICC has a permanent, professional, and impartial staff, and operates in coordination with the United Nations, although it’s an independent body.

Prior to the court’s establishment, there were mechanisms for trying crimes of international concern, most notably the Tokyo and Nuremberg tribunals after World War II. These were conducted before the Geneva Conventions were passed and were the first known international trials for crimes conducted during conflict. But those trials weren’t immune to criticism, including about their expedience as well as concerns over a sense of partiality, or “victors’ justice,” as Zvobgo said.

Later tribunals, like the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia prosecuting the ethnic cleansing of Albanians in Kosovo under former Serbian President Slobodan Milošević; the Special Court for Sierra Leone, which prosecuted those responsible for that nation’s brutal civil war; and the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia, which prosecuted the crimes of the Khmer Rouge, operated in conjunction with or under the auspices of the UN.

Individual countries can also try individuals for crimes that fall under universal jurisdiction, like atrocity crimes. Most recently, German courts were able to secure convictions for two Syrian military officials for crimes committed against Syrians in Syria — crimes which technically didn’t involve Germany at all, but because they were so egregious and such an affront to the international order, they fall under universal jurisdiction.

Unlike other international courts, like the European Court of Human Rights, the ICC can only try individuals, not nation-states. That theoretically includes sitting heads of state, although that has never happened in the court’s 20-year history, and is unlikely to happen in the context of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. The court has no enforcement mechanism, so while it can issue arrest warrants, it relies on national authorities to execute those warrants. “There are many ICC fugitives,” Zvobgo said, including former Sudanese dictator Omar al-Bashir, who in 2015 evaded capture in South Africa, a signatory to the Rome Statute. All told, defendants in 11 ICC cases remain at large.

The court has, however, seen 30 cases, with 10 convictions and four acquittals. That might not seem like much, but considering how difficult it is to build the kinds of cases the ICC prosecutes, and the capacity that many defendants have to evade capture and trial, it’s significant. It’s also a sign that countries are following up on their responsibilities, per the Rome Statute, and holding their own investigations and prosecutions for atrocity crimes, Zvobgo told Vox, citing an instance in Colombia in which the ICC closed down a preliminary investigation into grave crimes of international concern — including thousands of alleged extrajudicial killings that occurred over five decades of armed conflict — after determining that the Colombian government could conduct its own investigation and trials.

Prosecuting Putin could be impossible

The ICC doesn’t try defendants in absentia, or if they’re not present at the court. And because the court doesn’t have a mechanism like a police force to enforce its arrest warrants, Putin could evade capture as long as he stays in Russia or other friendly nations — and in power.

“I don’t really see the mechanism for holding Putin criminally accountable,” Zvobgo told Vox. “The US and allies, I don’t think it’s possible that they will seize Putin,” she said, noting that it could set a disastrous precedent and could enable Russia or any other country to use international justice to retaliate against their adversaries.

Plus, there is little precedent for trying sitting heads of state. The only time that’s happened is when Milošević stood trial and was indicted for atrocity crimes in Kosovo in 1999 in a special tribunal convened by the UN. The ICC and other international tribunals have, however, indicted former heads of state, like former President of Liberia Charles Taylor and former President of Chad Hissène Habré.

Another complicating factor is that one of the most vocal nations suggesting Putin be tried at the Hague — the United States — isn’t itself a party to the ICC. The US government voted against the ICC during the Rome Conference in 1998; former President Bill Clinton signed on to the Rome Statute in 2000 but never submitted it to Congress for ratification. Former President George W. Bush in 2002 notified then-UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan that the US would not ratify the Rome Statute and didn’t have to abide by any of its provisions.

“It really shows a lot of hypocrisy,” and encourages the perception of “justice for thee, not for me,” Zvobgo noted. In 2020, the US was under investigation by the ICC for war crimes in Afghanistan, which prompted former President Donald Trump to pursue sanctions against then-ICC prosecutor Fatou Bensouda of The Gambia and senior prosecution official Phakiso Mochochoko, a diplomat from Lesotho.

Even if it were possible to bring Putin to the Hague, the ICC couldn’t try him for one of the most critical crimes — aggression — for which he’s clearly responsible. That’s because the ICC can only try aggression crimes, defined as “the planning, preparation, initiation or execution, by a person in a position effectively to exercise control over or to direct the political or military action of a State, of an act of aggression which ... constitutes a manifest violation of the Charter of the United Nations,” per the Rome Statute, if the countries in question are signatories. Neither Russia nor Ukraine is.

Linking Putin to other reported war crimes in Ukraine, like the indiscriminate killing of noncombatants, targeting civilian facilities like train stations and hospitals, and sexual violence, is a massive undertaking and requires documentary evidence — like specific orders or testimony from insider witnesses, which are closely guarded — linking the actions of soldiers on the ground to officials in the Kremlin. “This stuff just takes a long time,” Zvobgo told Vox, “and it doesn’t necessarily end in a guilty verdict.”

Of course there is always hope.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Cash? Russia still has foreign currency/Gold, just is cut off from every market that matters with it. Iran is broke and needs currency to import stuff from China, and is having wider domestic economic troubles especially with Covid. I'm not sure exactly how it works out but certainly seems in Irans interests.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It's not like the west is gonna give Iran anything good no matter what so they might as well get on Russia's good side.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

If this is how the Ukrainians return the Russian good will gesture of leaving Snake Island then I guess they must return to re-invest it. That would be my recommendation.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

the popes toes posted:

If this is how the Ukrainians return the Russian good will gesture of leaving Snake Island then I guess they must return to re-invest it. That would be my recommendation.

Great idea Russia is a definitely Port half the Black Sea fleet at Sea Snake Island

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The entire War effort needs doctrinal changes to occur in a significant manner. So significant it would require the officer purges of 1936 to actually pull off.

Well Ukraine seems to be helping out with the latter part. :v:

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

The main thing states need to make today is cool looking frag videos, drones are good at that

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
What is Germany's plan for energy in November of 2023? All this pushing to defang sanctions and pay billions of euros to Russia would be a lot easier to swallow if it was just to save them from freezing this winter. But absent a specific plan for what they will use the extra time to prepare for, it is hard not to draw the conclusion that they intend to just go back to letting Putin have control over their energy supply in perpetuity.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DancingMachine posted:

What is Germany's plan for energy in November of 2023? All this pushing to defang sanctions and pay billions of euros to Russia would be a lot easier to swallow if it was just to save them from freezing this winter. But absent a specific plan for what they will use the extra time to prepare for, it is hard not to draw the conclusion that they intend to just go back to letting Putin have control over their energy supply in perpetuity.

They’re involved in fossil fuel deals with Africa, Middle East, US, and Central Asia. In addition to local stuff like working with Norway and the Netherlands, building a pile of LNG terminals, contemplating hijacking and redirecting one of the Nord Streams, and so on. November 2023 has a chance of being okay, but November 2022 is going to be the “find out” part of their energy policy at best.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

DancingMachine posted:

They have been keeping their options open. They’re keeping the NordStream 2 pipeline in a mothballed state with vague plans for using it with grey hydrogen, they’ve successfully lobbied to undo G7 agreements that would limit international fossil fuel financing, they’ve discussed gas projects with Senegal, Turkey, the US, Israel, and the UAE, they’ve promoted wind energy to the public, and they’ve been making plans to reactivate old coal and wood biomass plants.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

DancingMachine posted:

Der Kohle.

The Germans have by far done the worst job at standing up to Putin and have basically assisted in funding the war. They as you stated will probably continue to find the fascist gas station.

--

It should probably be stated that I've noticed a market difference in today versus yesterday in terms of artillery fire.

I mean Russia is conducting helicopter airstrikes in the north right now.
https://t.me/suspilnekharkiv/14922

Most likely they're going to have to suicide a lot of their helicopters in any attempt to stop the high Mars from destroying their offensive capabilities.

I've talked about strategic reserve of artilleries being hit probably every single day in this conflict because our more artillery is always on the way.

Think of it like just in time logistics. You get enough artillery for the day and right when you run out it comes up just in time.

Now when I say strategic reserve of artillery shells I mean those are shells that are only used to thwart enemy counter offensives. You don't go down to zero shells completely you might still have enough for some serious barages sitting there waiting for an actual oh poo poo emergency.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 12, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Double post woops

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I doubt they will be able to reconstruct their entire organizational structure fast enough to make a difference.

The purges didn't allow the Soviet Army to reform : they slowed how quickly it was reforming. Soviet doctrine on the late 1930s wasnt terrible. Their execution was terrible, in part because so many experienced officers got :commissar:

Armies in war can change with startling rapidity, but I generally agree in Russia's specific case.

Now here's to hoping that Iranian drones broadcast as Iranian so that Ukraine's allies can shoot them down because :smuggo: they weren't Russian. (I'm fantasizing, I know...)

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

They're not actual fascists like Syria or the DPRK (at least not the civilian government), but Iran is very solidly in the awful authoritarian government club. I do agree that it'd still be kinda surprising if they're willing to go as far as materially supporting Russia, though. There's really not a lot for them to gain from it.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 12, 2022

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Warbadger posted:

They're not actual fascists like Syria or the DPRK (at least not the civilian government), but Iran is very solidly in the awful authoritarian government club. I do agree that it'd still be kinda surprising if they're willing to go as far as materially supporting Russia, though. There's really not a lot for them to gain from it.

Iran stands to lose a lot of it actively supports Russia.

If Russia loses this war it's allies won't have their backs. And the whole multi polar world thing kind of fades if Russia devolves into ultra federalism.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
the west will tire of russia's fuel and ammo depots exploding, and

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

They've been fighting in Syria together for a decade now, so not really too surprising or game changing that they're selling each other hardware.

I am a little surprised Iran has the drones to spare though given sanctions and how many they've been using (and presumably losing).

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014
Re: Ukrainian post war authoritarianism,

I am an outsider looking in and I have no idea how Ukrainian society or government actually functions, but I cannot see Ukraine slipping deeply into authoritarianism after the war simply because so much of their greatly strengthen national identity will revolve around not being Russian, and not doing thing as Russia does them. As was pointed out earlier in this thread, the Ukrainian language has gained more prominence since 2014 because the Ukrainians want a way to separate themselves from the 'Rashists.' I suspect the political climate post-war will very much be this way as well. There is little doubt that Russia will continue to sink deeper into fascist darkness, and I think that will drive Ukrainians as a whole the other direction.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Maybe you know something I don't, but I don't really see where you are coming from here. Iran is already sanctioned to poo poo and back. I don't think they have much to lose, and they need cash, so selling Russia stuff is a completely rational move.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Warbadger posted:

I feel somewhat favorable towards iran generally but they're definitely on the more fasc end of authoritarian governments. The reliance on basij and moral police adds a whole extra lovely dimension to what is already at best a hard-line religious authoritarian state.

Anyways Iran gains hard currency and likely whatever else they want from Russia and I'm sure Russia is making generous deals right now to anyone who can deliver significant amounts of material rapidly. Despite ostensibly being lukewarm officially towards eachother, they both cooperated significantly in Syria as it was basically hezbullah fighters, irgc fighters/supported groups, russian airpower and a smaller number of ground forces, and whatever assad could scrounge up that did 99% of the heavy lifting that kept assad in power.

Iran also has been very extremely sensitive to food prices going up previously, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is a factor, too. If anything, there's probably a lot of stuff that Iran could supply that Russia would find useful right now.

Lowkey iran has a bunch of military and especially paramilitary experience that would be deeply useful to Russia, particularly at an organizational level, but I doubt Russia is really seeking to tap into that. Russia really needs a Russian Suleimani, basically.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Chill Monster posted:

Re: Ukrainian post war authoritarianism,

I am an outsider looking in and I have no idea how Ukrainian society or government actually functions, but I cannot see Ukraine slipping deeply into authoritarianism after the war simply because so much of their greatly strengthen national identity will revolve around not being Russian, and not doing thing as Russia does them.

Such campaigns of national homogenization are always authoritarian and culturally genocidal by definition. Now, the EU does a good job of limiting the authority of these deranged ideologies that are now unfortunately ascendant in Europe and elsewhere. Make no mistake, Russia is the aggressive party who did this, but I am never going to be a proponent of the national identities. Indeed, soviet policy was focused on developing such nations as they saw it as a part of modernization needed to achieve communism/