Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FMJ has been tarnished a bit by idiots who don’t get it.

Also it’s not something I want to watch over and over again.

Edit: It’s been alleged that Cruise almost left Scientology during EWS’s production. That would have been interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

War of the Worlds, YouTube and memes, and media outlets created the Tom Cruise we know today.

Maybe slightly more accurate to say Minority Report, he did that with Spielberg before they did War of the Worlds. He also did The Last Samurai in between Minority Report and War of the Worlds so yea he definitely came back pretty quick after those rough 2 or 3 years.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Would the "Eyes Wide Shut was never made" universe still lead to Nicole Kidman talking about the movies for a few minutes in front of every movie I see?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Casimir Radon posted:

Edit: It’s been alleged that Cruise almost left Scientology during EWS’s production. That would have been interesting.

Maybe the irony of him being in a weird cult while making a movie about a weird cult almost broke him

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I love Minority Report. The early 2000s seemed like it was a pretty garbage time for movies, so when you remember a hood one you tend to take notice. I’ve never seen War of the Worlds. I remember it being advertised heavily but I never actually bothered to see it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe slightly more accurate to say Minority Report, he did that with Spielberg before they did War of the Worlds. He also did The Last Samurai in between Minority Report and War of the Worlds so yea he definitely came back pretty quick after those rough 2 or 3 years.

Yeah it’s more than just one thing, but the WotW press tour started with Oprah, then had the meltdown during the live interview on TV, and then the onslaught of “Tom Cruise isn’t human”. He went into hiding after that and then emerged as Only Blockbuster Cruise.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm partial to War of the Worlds(of course they're very different movies) because I've just never been a big fan of the whole aesthetic going on in Minority Report. All that brightness with the soft lighting and the early 2000s greenscreen, just not a good mix for me.

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah it’s more than just one thing, but the WotW press tour started with Oprah, then had the meltdown during the live interview on TV, and then the onslaught of “Tom Cruise isn’t human”. He went into hiding after that and then emerged as Only Blockbuster Cruise.

Oh that's interesting, I didn't realize the Oprah interview happened during press on War of the Worlds, I thought it happened earlier than that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

For some reason I thought it was the MI3 press tour that messed up his career for a while, but I’m probably conflating that with Comedy Central being told not to rerun the Scientology episode of South Park. I didn’t really have a clue what Scientology was until the couch jumping thing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

For some reason I thought it was the MI3 press tour that messed up his career for a while, but I’m probably conflating that with Comedy Central being told not to rerun the Scientology episode of South Park. I didn’t really have a clue what Scientology was until the couch jumping thing.

There’s a really good You’re Wrong About episode that covers the whole thing and explores and gives context to the pre-Oprah and post-Oprah Tom Cruise career trajectory. It’s like a hour to listen to and it’s great.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

GrandpaPants posted:

Would the "Eyes Wide Shut was never made" universe still lead to Nicole Kidman talking about the movies for a few minutes in front of every movie I see?

God willing

Casimir Radon posted:

I love Minority Report. The early 2000s seemed like it was a pretty garbage time for movies, so when you remember a hood one you tend to take notice. I’ve never seen War of the Worlds. I remember it being advertised heavily but I never actually bothered to see it.

War of the Worlds got a UHD release last year. It had been years since I saw it, but I really enjoyed it upon rewatch. Just a super solid slightly more darker than normal Spielberg sci-fi adventure flick. Maybe a few moments of contrivances if that's something that gets under your skin, but otherwise just a really good flick that looks exceptional on UHD.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Anyone know how the Fury Road 4K compares to the Blu-ray (which I already own)?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

checkplease posted:

Anyone know how the Fury Road 4K compares to the Blu-ray (which I already own)?

it has issues, but imo nothing that takes away from the overall presentation

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mad-Max-Fury-Road-4K-Blu-ray/147183/#Review

very good and thorough write-up for it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not a big fan of the Fury Road UHD, it's one of the few where I think I actually do prefer the blu ray but it's not clear-cut so you might come down on the other side.

My issue is the fire and explosions. On the UHD a lot of them are somewhat blown out, like artificial looking to the point that it's distracting because overall Fury Road is one of the most immersive movies ever made so anything that stands out like that ruins the illusion. On the blu ray I never noticed it, never thought about the explosions being CG, they just blend in with everything else. Now obviously it's a heavily color graded movie that benefits from HDR in some ways but distractingly fake explosions is something that I have a hard time ignoring for a film that is so perfect otherwise.

But if that doesn't bother you then you'll probably prefer the UHD just for the overall boost in color depth.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Thanks. Maybe I’ll hold off on the Fury Road UHD for now.

So far I’ve picked up the Back to the future set and the big Lebowski uhd as it’s one of my favorite films but somehow I’ve never owned it.

Trying to see what other uhds might be in that $10 range.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

War of the Worlds was one of the best cinema experiences I’ve had. That movie was made to be seen in a theater.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Better steelbook cover than the film deserved
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1546859717993136132

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Should have just scrawled EVIL DIES TONIGHT fifty times on the cover in crayon and called it a day

Halloween has to be the worst long-running “iconic” horror franchise, right? I mean you’ve got the original, III, the first Danny McBride one, and …what else? Parts of 2 and 4?

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 12, 2022

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

checkplease posted:

So far I’ve picked up the Back to the future set and the big Lebowski uhd as it’s one of my favorite films but somehow I’ve never owned it.

I can't tell you how many times I had seen the previous transfer (and missed it in theaters like an idiot) but this new version is night and day. Half of me wants to grab every deakins 4k just for the visual aspect. Some of those movies are so mid though like skyfall/br2049/1917...he kills it visually but that only goes so far

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

zer0spunk posted:

I can't tell you how many times I had seen the previous transfer (and missed it in theaters like an idiot) but this new version is night and day. Half of me wants to grab every deakins 4k just for the visual aspect. Some of those movies are so mid though like skyfall/br2049/1917...he kills it visually but that only goes so far

Did you watch The Goldfinch? Holy poo poo, that's probably the first real clunker Deakins has shot in a long while.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Speaking of Zavii and steelbooks, my steelbook 4K of Red Sonja shipped :black101:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BTFF part kicks rear end

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Halloween has to be the worst long-running “iconic” horror franchise, right? I mean you’ve got the original, III, the first Danny McBride one, and …what else? Parts of 2 and 4?

Hellraiser, and the only way it’s not close is Puppet Master likely isn’t considered “iconic” (Pinhead is an iconic character, despite ever being in two good films)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
BTTF Part 2 is Zemeckis and Gale getting a bunch of galaxy brain ideas out of their system and cleaning up the mess they made with the jokey fake sequel hook at the end of the first one. Barely a movie. BTTF3 is the real sequel and it's wonderful. Also looks phenomenal in UHD.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

BTTF Part 2 is Zemeckis and Gale getting a bunch of galaxy brain ideas out of their system and cleaning up the mess they made with the jokey fake sequel hook at the end of the first one. Barely a movie. BTTF3 is the real sequel and it's wonderful. Also looks phenomenal in UHD.

My big frustration with BTTF Part 2 is that it's all momentum, but none of the stakes really make sense, or matter, and nothing is resolved. It's all setup after setup for a different film.

It's also kind of bizarre how it deals with Jennifer Parker. The movie starts with "You and Jennifer have to come with me, your kids are in danger!" They're in the future for all of five minutes when Jennifer gets knocked out with Plot Device, and they leave her unconscious body on a porch in a dystopian society full of horrible lecherous creeps. Movie has no idea what to do with her, and it writes her out terribly, and never resolves it.

There is a huge possibility that original Jennifer Parker is lost in a fringe universe that will exist in a dimensional fabric that can't be returned to from the timelines rebuilt.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 12, 2022

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Nobody has any kind of arc in Part II. It's all plot and no story. I still like it - I even love parts of it - but the older I get the more I love Part III.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

that's why you have to watch all three back to back to back. its one continuous movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Chris James 2 posted:

Hellraiser, and the only way it’s not close is Puppet Master likely isn’t considered “iconic” (Pinhead is an iconic character, despite ever being in two good films)

poo poo I completely forgot about Hellraiser. Although I’d say the first two are legit good and the third is good for completely different schlock-related reasons.

The rest are trash though, yeah.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I definitely have a fondness for Hellraiser 3, probably because that was the first one I saw

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

re: Barry Lyndon- was there actually confirmation that it would getting a 4k release soon or is that mostly speculation?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

re: Barry Lyndon- was there actually confirmation that it would getting a 4k release soon or is that mostly speculation?

Speculation and well-wishing, on my part.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

The Last Samurai would be good on UHD/4k if they can rescan the film but it seems like it was mastered at 2k according to imdb. That would mean they would've had to rescan the raw film stock?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Franchescanado posted:

My big frustration with BTTF Part 2 is that it's all momentum, but none of the stakes really make sense, or matter, and nothing is resolved. It's all setup after setup for a different film.

It's also kind of bizarre how it deals with Jennifer Parker. The movie starts with "You and Jennifer have to come with me, your kids are in danger!" They're in the future for all of five minutes when Jennifer gets knocked out with Plot Device, and they leave her unconscious body on a porch in a dystopian society full of horrible lecherous creeps. Movie has no idea what to do with her, and it writes her out terribly, and never resolves it.

There is a huge possibility that original Jennifer Parker is lost in a fringe universe that will exist in a dimensional fabric that can't be returned to from the timelines rebuilt.

I'm sure it's due in no small part to the fact that the stinger at the end of the first movie was just meant to be sort of a joke or just open ended for the audience to imagine all the adventures they'd go on. They weren't expecting or planning on making a sequel.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

2 and 3 was made from an existing script rewritten to fit the series wasn't it? It would certainly explain the whole "Marty gets triggered by the word 'chicken'" thing that they had, which seemed to come out of nowhere.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dorium posted:

that's why you have to watch all three back to back to back. its one continuous movie.

I’ve seen them sporadically through my youth and one day when I was like 20 or so I threw em all on one after the other, and it worked and I loved them. My favorite part was when 2 ended and they had a little teaser for 3. I don’t know why but it hyped me up, and made 3 feel more eventful.

2 doesn’t work on its own at all. But it’s fun with 3 if you put it on right after.

One stands alone perfectly though.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

edogawa rando posted:

2 and 3 was made from an existing script rewritten to fit the series wasn't it? It would certainly explain the whole "Marty gets triggered by the word 'chicken'" thing that they had, which seemed to come out of nowhere.

No, but the script was originally one movie. Universal wasn't interested in making the most expensive movie ever so they made it into two scripts. The "chicken" thing was Gale and Zemeckis trying to give Marty an arc in the sequels.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

pwn posted:

Earth Girls Are Easy Blu-ray when

This is why I read this thread, I gotta see that. Every time a gem/nutty movie gets mentioned, it goes up in the ol' watchlist.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
KL’s Tropic Thunder UHD is shaping up well. Really looking forward to that one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Same.

Not looking forward to the discourse again though lmao

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I kind of soured on BTTF after a certain point in my life because of the attempted rape scene. When I got a bit older and understood more about rape culture and the poo poo women go through that one scene sucked the fun out of the movie for me. The rest of the movie is good stuff but that one thing grosses me out especially because it just seems like throwing it in a movie like BTTF isn't the best idea or treating the subject with the weight it deserves.

CelticPredator posted:

Same.

Not looking forward to the discourse again though lmao

MONSTER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have an important question.

If you didn't have the Indiana Jones box sets, and had them as individual releases, how would you alphabetize them?

-Raiders in "R", Temple of Doom & Last Crusade in "I" for Indiana Jones

-All three in "I" for Indiana Jones and in series order?

-Raiders in "R", Temple of Doom in "T", "L" for Last Crusade

CPL593H posted:

I kind of soured on BTTF after a certain point in my life because of the attempted rape scene. When I got a bit older and understood more about rape culture and the poo poo women go through that one scene sucked the fun out of the movie for me. The rest of the movie is good stuff but that one thing grosses me out especially because it just seems like throwing it in a movie like BTTF isn't the best idea or treating the subject with the weight it deserves.

It is dark, and it's intended to be dark, but on recent rewatch it really solidifies how horrific it is that Biff has been everpresent throughout Lorraine and George's life. He's no longer just a "bully" with that revelation.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 13, 2022