Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DelphiAegis posted:

You mean you all don't simulate adhd meds with 40+oz of coffee and energy drinks throughout the day? Smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Pro tip: Costco has energy drinks by the palette.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

kroger has my preferred beverage for $1/can right now

costco doesnt carry it

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i'm rawdogging a shot in the dark right now

(espresso shot added to a regular black coffee)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'll do some tea or something, but I don't really do coffee or energy drinks because they make my anxiety worse. :ohdear:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I'll do some tea or something, but I don't really do coffee or energy drinks because they make my anxiety worse. :ohdear:

my anxiety is bad all the time :smug:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
There was a disturbance in the force over the last couple of days. Started getting some intermittent DNS server timeouts on our main domain, but only from certain vectors. That particular domain Nameserver is hosted on Network solutions, and was timing out from google(8.8.8.8), intermittently timing out from L3, and did work from Cloudflare. Our security folks seemed to recognize the problem as well and the prevailing theory is a major government tested an attack. It ran for approximately 7 minutes.

Scary stuff.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

My wife and I go through 2 liters of tea a day easy. (Actual proper loose-leaf, none of this iced tea or even worse sweet tea bullshit). It's the best way to have a gentle caffeine boost constantly without the spikes and crashes of coffee - I do like coffee, but it's far too abrupt for being productive.

By the way for any hot drink I highly recommend a phase-change mug - mine are Joeveo, which was a Kickstarter or Indiegogo or something, but the idea is it's an insulated mug with phase-change material in the middle such that it absorbs the heat to cool the drink down to drinking temperature, then re-releases it to keep it at that temperature for longer. Works very well and it's really nice to pick up your mug an hour after pouring the tea and find the tea is still warm.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

my anxiety is bad all the time :smug:

That's bad!

I have agoraphobia with panic disorder. Eating well, sleeping well, avoiding lots of caffeine, and exercise (i assume, lol) really seem to help. It's been a lifelong thing, constant tug of war, but it feels nice when it's not as bad.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Not sure what too much coffee is. I drink 1-1.5 liter a day, that 35-50 oz in moon measurements I believe.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Inner Light posted:

Sickening can you share the pill that works for you? I’m gonna try to start up Vyvanse again but I need to see if it makes me feel like garbo by the late afternoon still. I know everybody’s different but it’s valuable to hear positive experiences

The crash and dry mouth are just things you are going to have account for. The best you can hope for is figuring out dosage and timing when you take them. The higher the dose, the better the results while on the meds but the bigger the crash. Its just a balance.

I can say for certain though is that it was worth it for me. It made me 10x more productive and that probably is an underestimation. It made me considerably less emotionally explosive. While I am still introverted, it makes social situations so much easier that its almost like the rest of my life was a simulation. I am essentially trading a full day off dysfunctional me for more better QOL for the times that matter.

I would suggest you talk with your dr, but work on timing. You want to get into a habit of taking it on a schedule, but you want to time your crashing as best you can. What works for me is taking my dose mid day and crashing later in the evening.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I am also the type of person where caffeine doesn't work on me. I can take a 4 hour energy and then go to sleep right after without issue. Although it doesn't seem to have a direct link to ADHD, its more common for those with ADHD than not.

So yeah, if you are like me and can pound caffeine and then take a nap, ya might want to check with a psychiatrist.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I know! I'm talking to a therapist, don't worry. Everyone should do that btw

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Working out for me makes me exhausted. I always use my elliptical at night because all I want to do is go to bed after. I can't imagine gaining energy from working out.

The last time I talked to a therapist all she told me was think about all the people who have it worse than me and consider how lucky I am. I didn't go back.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Delta 8 is what's currently keeping me out of the weeds after I went sober. Makes job hunting a real bitch though.

edit: Always have a golf bag and push cart on me as well. After work 9 holes of solitude is therapeutic AF if you can take the heat.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Working out for me makes me exhausted. I always use my elliptical at night because all I want to do is go to bed after. I can't imagine gaining energy from working out.

The last time I talked to a therapist all she told me was think about all the people who have it worse than me and consider how lucky I am. I didn't go back.

Don't go back to the person. I would ask you to try again with someone else.

Working out also makes me exhausted. I tend to do mine in the evenings and it works for me.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Sickening posted:

So yeah, if you are like me and can pound caffeine and then take a nap, ya might want to check with a psychiatrist.

Ah poo poo

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Inner Light posted:

Sickening can you share the pill that works for you? I’m gonna try to start up Vyvanse again but I need to see if it makes me feel like garbo by the late afternoon still. I know everybody’s different but it’s valuable to hear positive experiences

good luck! I'm curious to hear how it works out because I've been having an increasingly more difficult time dealing with my ADHD as I get older.

I'm thinking I might just get a medical card and try cannabis again.

CLAM DOWN posted:

i'm rawdogging a shot in the dark right now

(espresso shot added to a regular black coffee)

is that what the kids nowadays call it? I always thought it was a redeye (singleshot) or blackeye (doubleshot)

DelphiAegis posted:

Pro tip: Costco has energy drinks by the palette.
are they any good? My coworker just turned me on to the Amazon brand and they're pretty good but not cheap enough for me to be sold on it quite yet.
I kinda wish they just sold it by the gallon so I could portion out my own shots and how have a bunch of wasted packaging.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Just take straight caffeine pills you cowards. :argh:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

are they any good? My coworker just turned me on to the Amazon brand and they're pretty good but not cheap enough for me to be sold on it quite yet.
I kinda wish they just sold it by the gallon so I could portion out my own shots and how have a bunch of wasted packaging.
It's pretty easy to imagine the liability reasons why they don't sell liquid heart attack in one gallon bottles.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 12, 2022

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Zil posted:

I did this and those ephedrine supplements when I was in uni, and there is a reason I don't anymore

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Zil posted:

Cowards, this is what i rock https://www.inhalehealth.com/

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

CLAM DOWN posted:

I know! I'm talking to a therapist, don't worry. Everyone should do that btw

First thing I'm doing when my new benefits kick in (HR owes me like 20 things and I'm still waiting on her) is getting a therapist. Probably going to be a pain since there's a shortage of em everywhere but if I'm going to be working I need to keep my brain from breaking further.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

tokin opposition posted:

First thing I'm doing when my new benefits kick in (HR owes me like 20 things and I'm still waiting on her) is getting a therapist. Probably going to be a pain since there's a shortage of em everywhere but if I'm going to be working I need to keep my brain from breaking further.

About one of the only good things about Covid is that it got a lot of insurance to start covering telehealth appointments for therapists. So if there is not a therapist in your nearby town or city, as long as they are in the same state, you can still see them.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I slept 3-5 hours a night for over decade while working normal hours. Didn’t feel healthy at all but I just could not sleep. That changed a bit when I got kids but it’s still impossible to sleep before midnight and I regularly have 2-3 hours of sleep.

Wouldn’t even know where to start fixing this.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

there's a big ol list of sleep hygiene recommendations that you should definitely check out if you haven't already

if that doesnt help then go get a sleep study done

e: https://www.cdc.gov/sleep/about_sleep/sleep_hygiene.html

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

good luck! I'm curious to hear how it works out because I've been having an increasingly more difficult time dealing with my ADHD as I get older.

I'm thinking I might just get a medical card and try cannabis again.

is that what the kids nowadays call it? I always thought it was a redeye (singleshot) or blackeye (doubleshot)

Oh, I just mean they sell cases (24 cans/bottles) of the various energy drink brands like redbull, monster, etc.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

I slept 3-5 hours a night for over decade while working normal hours. Didn’t feel healthy at all but I just could not sleep. That changed a bit when I got kids but it’s still impossible to sleep before midnight and I regularly have 2-3 hours of sleep.

Wouldn’t even know where to start fixing this.

Jesus, I can't even imagine. There's no way that's healthy for you.

The Fool posted:

there's a big ol list of sleep hygiene recommendations that you should definitely check out if you haven't already

if that doesnt help then go get a sleep study done

e: https://www.cdc.gov/sleep/about_sleep/sleep_hygiene.html

Good recommendations! Sleep hygiene is seriously no joke. It can help a lot. And yes, a sleep study if you need it. Anxiety, especially something like generalized anxiety disorder, can really affect your sleep as well. I know these are all problems that can be difficult and time consuming to fix, but in the spirit of Sickening's post that started this discussion, please don't ignore yourself!

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Take time for yourself, or your body will take it for you, folks.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Jesus, I can't even imagine. There's no way that's healthy for you.

uh... really because 5 hours is like an amazing night's sleep. 3 is pretty typical. "a nap" is pretty frequently all I get for at least the last 8 years. :ohdear:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I tried Adderal XR and the dry mouth was wicked, and it just never quite worked out for me. Best way I could describe it is that it got me focused, but I'd be focused explicitly on nothing. Like, just darting between tabs waiting for... something.

I switched to Vyvanse and I don't really have the dry mouth anymore, (though I do make a more concerted effort to stay hydrated) but overall the effect was much more mellow. With Adderal XR I could tell I was on a medication because I felt different while it was in effect, but with Vyvanse I don't feel different perse. I know I'm different, because I notice my behavior is different when I don't take it, but it helps me focus without feeling like I'm taking a drug that helps me focus.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

https://twitter.com/cybrxangel/status/1546598639698677763?s=21&t=j5dhaJzuxz7U-6S9-e28hA

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Unironically agreed

https://twitter.com/y2k_aesthetic/status/1544897474090848256

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Zil posted:

Does ThinkGeek still exist and if so so they still have the caffeine soap?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Welp, just got fired from my new job, good thing I hadn't left my old one. They wanted someone with more AWS experience and didn't want to pay $83k for someone still learning the ropes but with a basic understanding of the platform.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why the gently caress did they even take you on. Bullet dodged there.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think they expected me to know more from how I did in the interview, and they're in a college town so they are used to being able to pick people up straight out of college for peanuts.

Downside is now I have to try to find another AWS job because gently caress working in OCI.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'm curious what tipped them off that you may have been in over your head? Fake it until you make it and all but something triggered them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was honest about what I still needed to learn, I'm a terrible bluffer. Probably didn't help that it had been almost two years since my AWS cert so I was rusty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Welp, just got fired from my new job, good thing I hadn't left my old one. They wanted someone with more AWS experience and didn't want to pay $83k for someone still learning the ropes but with a basic understanding of the platform.

Yeesh, sorry to hear that. You can leverage what you learned in this short stint into great material for the next application/interview.