Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Hatsune Mike posted:

Real talk, and not trying to give you a hard time personally, but - buying a laptop on eBay and trusting the operating system image it comes loaded with may not be a wise decision for something critical or for government use.

Reformatting it would also solve that specific OS version requirement at once, so it's a twofer.

In theory, yeah, ordering XP out of the box or moving the HDD from the dead laptop to a new laptop or myriad other solutions were the better option. This is what I was explicitly told to do. My boss' take on it was that it wasn't OUR money, so if the other group wanted to spend part of their budget on a cheap, ancient laptop that was their business. I only got pulled in because the non-product lab equipment buyers weren't equipped to deal with government purchasing. I basically got sent a link, a charge number and a government contract number and told to make it happen. I had been begging my boss to not accept the work from these other organizations for a long while because it was always the weirdest things with the most complications. I could make a million suggestions for better ways to do something and they would be rejected in seconds. Things like that were part of why I don't work for that group anymore.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I haven't used their industrial equipment but SAP software is clunky as hell and terribly documented.

SAP is great if you are using it for giant POs or long term agreements. You can bundle a ton of data into a single line and have that information flow out to light client and back. Great for when you need someone outside your organization to update commit dates or certifications or to submit invoices. The problem is that SAP is almost always hacked together by whichever company purchased the program and so you may have the same T Code for purchase orders between companies, but Company A didn't require a bunch of data that Company B sees as necessary for various reasons, and the process of creating an order may be completely different in A and B, making one more clunky and annoying than the other. Two companies ago I had to to go from Sales Order to Purchase Order to processing a Requisition that would allow me to release the Purchase Order. The SO was the only thing you needed if someone was getting a part from our warehouses and the SO + Req were the only components needed if you were having one of our shops perform a service on your returned equipment, but for some reason you needed all three done if you were selling new products. My current job is just Req and Purchase Order, and in some circumstances you can skip the Req. The difference is that the current company has a ton of rules about who can and can't make some parts, how to ship them, quality levels, Small Business codes, confirmations, etc. While the order itself may take five minutes to create there's usually a week's worth of legwork behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
..... i shudder to ask but is there a thread about manufacturing/enterprise IT? because y'all are talking about all the things i walk into a place that joins the borg corporate family and am like what in the utter gently caress.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Lazyfire posted:

SAP is great if you are using it for giant POs or long term agreements. You can bundle a ton of data into a single line and have that information flow out to light client and back. Great for when you need someone outside your organization to update commit dates or certifications or to submit invoices. The problem is that SAP is almost always hacked together by whichever company purchased the program and so you may have the same T Code for purchase orders between companies, but Company A didn't require a bunch of data that Company B sees as necessary for various reasons, and the process of creating an order may be completely different in A and B, making one more clunky and annoying than the other. Two companies ago I had to to go from Sales Order to Purchase Order to processing a Requisition that would allow me to release the Purchase Order. The SO was the only thing you needed if someone was getting a part from our warehouses and the SO + Req were the only components needed if you were having one of our shops perform a service on your returned equipment, but for some reason you needed all three done if you were selling new products. My current job is just Req and Purchase Order, and in some circumstances you can skip the Req. The difference is that the current company has a ton of rules about who can and can't make some parts, how to ship them, quality levels, Small Business codes, confirmations, etc. While the order itself may take five minutes to create there's usually a week's worth of legwork behind it.

That's fair, agreed once you figure it out it is a powerful tool but takes a while to learn. This article about how Target's botched Canadian expansion was hobbled by a poorly thought out SAP rollout is fascinating, they got all the weaknesses and very few of the strengths:

quote:

Finding an answer was tricky. By using Target’s existing technology, employees in Canada could draw on the large amount of expertise in the U.S. That plan had shortcomings as well. The technology was not set up to deal with a foreign country, and it would have to be customized to take into account the Canadian dollar and even French-language characters. Those changes would take time—which Target did not have. A ready-made solution could be implemented faster, even if the company had little expertise in actually using it.

The team responsible for the decision went with a system known as SAP, made by the German enterprise software company of the same name. Considered the gold standard in retail, SAP is used by many companies around the world, from Indigo in Canada to Denmark’s Dansk supermarket chain. It essentially serves as a retailer’s brain, storing huge amounts of data related to every single product in stores. That data would be fed by SAP into Target’s other crucial systems: software to forecast demand for products and replenish stocks, and a separate program for managing the distribution centres. After implementing SAP in Canada, Target wanted to eventually switch the U.S. operations over as well, aligning the two countries and ensuring the entire company benefited from the latest technology.

While SAP might be considered best in class, it’s an ornery, unforgiving beast. Sobeys introduced a version of SAP in 1996 and abandoned the effort by 2000. (It wasn’t until 2004 that the grocery chain tried again.) Similarly, Loblaws started moving to SAP in 2007 and projected three to five years to get it done. The implementation took two years longer than expected because of unreliable data in the system. Target was again seeking to do the impossible: It was going to set up and run SAP in roughly two years.

That part about French-language character stands out, our SAP had major problems with those so I stopped using accent marks for French item titles. Not an ideal solution but so far no complaints.

quote:

The rush to launch meant merchandisers were under pressure to enter information for roughly 75,000 different products into SAP according to a rigid implementation schedule. Getting the details from suppliers largely fell on the young merchandising assistants. In the industry, information from vendors is notoriously unreliable, but merchandising assistants were often not experienced enough to challenge vendors on the accuracy of the product information they provided. (The staff were also working against the countdown to opening.) “There was never any talk about accuracy,” says a former employee. “You had these people we hired, straight out of school, pressured to do this insane amount of data entry, and nobody told them it had to be right.” Worse, the company hadn’t built a safety net into SAP at this point; the system couldn’t notify users about data entry errors. The investigative team estimated information in the system was accurate about 30% of the time. In the U.S., it’s between 98% and 99%. (Accenture, which Target hired as a consultant on SAP, said in a statement: “Accenture completed a successful SAP implementation for Target in Canada. The project was reviewed independently and such review concluded that there is no Accenture connection with the issues you refer to.”)

lol of course Accenture was getting paid off of this mess.

quote:

The company had also been learning more about using SAP correctly. Former employees describe decoding SAP as like peeling an onion—it had multiple layers and made you want to cry. One initiative in particular greatly improved Target’s data quality. A technology team was finally able to install an automatic verification feature to catch bad data before it could enter SAP and wreak havoc. If an employee entered a UPC that was short one digit, for example, the system wouldn’t allow that purchase order to proceed until the code was correct. The technology Target used in the U.S. has these checks and balances, as do other retailers who use SAP. Target Canada finally implemented a verification tool in 2014, according to a former employee who was involved, owing to time constraints. “This happened very late in the game.”

There was yet another basic error Target Canada didn’t discover until 2014. According to one former employee, there was a misunderstanding about shipping dates. What Target thought was the “in-DC date,” meaning the date on which product would arrive at a distribution centre, was interpreted by some of its larger vendor partners as the day on which they would actually ship the product to Target. As a result, stock was constantly arriving late from Target’s perspective but on time according to vendors. “It was like, ‘Holy crap, how did we possibly not know this?’” says the former employee.

https://archive.canadianbusiness.com/the-last-days-of-target-canada/

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

zedprime posted:

SAP has a saturation so that google can be your documentation for everything....someone has probably had your issue and fixed it in 2008 on the SAP forums and off you go.

This is very not true when dealing with the multitude of add-ons and plugins into SAP though and who uses just the base system??

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

^^^My previous employer was told directly by the SAP people that if they just bought a couple of the modules they sold most of their usability issues would be fixed. Instead they got only the base program and tried to homebrew solutions. They still had problems when I left two and a half years after launch.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That's fair, agreed once you figure it out it is a powerful tool but takes a while to learn. This article about how Target's botched Canadian expansion was hobbled by a poorly thought out SAP rollout is fascinating, they got all the weaknesses and very few of the strengths:

That part about French-language character stands out, our SAP had major problems with those so I stopped using accent marks for French item titles. Not an ideal solution but so far no complaints.

lol of course Accenture was getting paid off of this mess.

https://archive.canadianbusiness.com/the-last-days-of-target-canada/

I went through an SAP implementation at one company and my wife was part of the team that kicked it off at our current company and in both cases the companies refused help from SAP on implementation and didn't purchase anything but the base modules. In both cases this led to a bunch of manual information transfers and data that simply got left behind. I'm convinced you can have a smooth transition to SAP from a legacy system, but you need to set your go-live date and then move it to the right by two years. That should give you time to let multiple people from all over the business to test it and find the gaps in the data. Instead most of the time companies give their teams less than a year to get it up and running and provide minimal training. The gaps were so bad at my former company that the team I worked for couldn't actually publish purchase orders to vendors for three months after launch. Someone had failed to select an option for the team's profiles that kept them from progressing orders to a certain point and the person in charge of the implementation refused to believe it was anything more than incompetence from the team. I got that job because of how bad SAP implementation had been there, my predecessor had a mental breakdown due to the stress and walked out of the office one day crying. They transferred her to a team that had no connection with SAP and hired me because I had used it with another company.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 11, 2022

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
For sone reason ctrl + a has stopped working in SAP for me and it drives me insane.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
I once worked for a company that made parts to 30 year old designs for the military. you pretty much have to add two or even three zeros to the price of the modern equivalent. only the military really has the budget and justification for that.

for some old cnc lathe it's never going to happen. it would be cheaper to retrofit a modern controller or upgrade to a newer second hand machine.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
which doesnt make sense to the board of directors unless the old one doesnt work at all and production is affected.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

satanic splash-back posted:

This is very not true when dealing with the multitude of add-ons and plugins into SAP though and who uses just the base system??
If you have a nice normal left hand side Gartner quadrant implementation you have no add-ons and no enhancements and everything you could possibly do is out there on some Indian guy's YouTube.

The good add-ons anyway are pretty similarly saturated.

If you're working with the aftermath of a right-hand side with multiple add-ons or a butt load of enhancement, especially if your company and implementation partner's sum output is bottom right, vaya con dios mi amigo.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

no_tears posted:

I love it! Does this mean you're looking for a new position now? I don't think I'd be able to go back into an office after being WFH for that long.

Now that I think about it, I'm actually looking forward to it. It certainly helps that our office comes with free lunch, a well-stocked kitchen, and great hours (Finished today's work by 3:00? Cool, see you tomorrow!). Plus, I genuinely like my co-workers. I realize this is a rare and special case compared to every other job on the planet, so I'm more than happy to stick around as long as they'll have me.

I'm mostly annoyed that the guy making the most money will never again have to step foot in the office. And one other senior-level guy (who contributes less and less every year while making more and more money) moved to another city over quarantine, so obviously they fired him are allowing him to work from home indefinitely as well. The preferential treatment is kind of insulting to those of us who actually do the work.

We just found out that there will be rotating WFH weeks for the rest of the staff, so I'll probably spend every 3rd week or so at home. Not bad?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Off topic but I logged onto the Google Drive browser for the first time in forever and a popup jumped up to inform me that CTR C, V and Z can be used to copy and paste. What kind of knuckle draggers are using computers these days? (

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Outrail posted:

Off topic but I logged onto the Google Drive browser for the first time in forever and a popup jumped up to inform me that CTR C, V and Z can be used to copy and paste. What kind of knuckle draggers are using computers these days? (

It's worse than that - Docs disabled right-click copy/paste, while keeping the buttons there, and flashes that message at you whenever you try to use them.
May have been walked back recently, but was definitely an issue a couple months ago, last time I used Docs heavily.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Every time I open a spreadsheet HEY DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN TAG SOMEONE BY PUTTING THEIR NAME IN A CELLLLLLLLLLL

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

SkyeAuroline posted:

It's worse than that - Docs disabled right-click copy/paste, while keeping the buttons there, and flashes that message at you whenever you try to use them.
May have been walked back recently, but was definitely an issue a couple months ago, last time I used Docs heavily.

lol, are they trying to train people with negative railroading tactics? That'll work great!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

goatsestretchgoals posted:

If poo poo broke on Monday at 7am, we would have a band aid before noon. IDK what that band aid looks like but it’s probably ugly as poo poo.

The band-aid is a big piece of grease stained duct tape, with the faded word 'gently caress' written on it in sharpie. It's been there for years, you're pretty sure the other pieces of tape are covering up other words, and nobody has the time, money or give a poo poo to carefully peel it all off and fix what originally broke.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

which doesnt make sense to the board of directors unless the old one doesnt work at all and production is affected.

I know forgings factories that operate on this principle. The quality complained about it a looooot

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Use to get calls from the BOF (basic oxygen furnace) at US Steel Great Lakes (I'm not afraid of naming their stupid asses) asking us to rush up there to implement an upgrade because the BOF was down because something big broke and it gave them enough time to put in an upgrade.

We're 4 hours south and more than once we get up there with hotel rooms booked and everything and then get told, "uh, they fixed it faster than expected, we can't install now." So we spent the night and went home the next day.

We always booked the nice hotel with the bar and good breakfast in the morning.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Our network in the building has been up and down randomly over the last two weeks. Every time it goes out, there's a big bridge call where... Everyone who's NOT on the networking team fixed the issue while the networking team just shrugs and says they don't know what's happening.

The last outage caused a change freeze to be put in place so people stop loving poo poo up on the network... Today LAN and wifi are both down. Lmao.

Should be a good day to be IT in the office, but our userbase refuses to read the sign that says "THE NETWORK IS DOWN. WE ARE AWARE. THERE IS NO ETA."

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lmao, we tried to open a bridge for the ENTIRE network being down in the building and Network Operations refused because "not enough people are impacted."

gently caress, I wanna be on this networking team.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
gently caress.

same.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The band-aid is a big piece of grease stained duct tape, with the faded word 'gently caress' written on it in sharpie. It's been there for years, you're pretty sure the other pieces of tape are covering up other words, and nobody has the time, money or give a poo poo to carefully peel it all off and fix what originally broke.

Removing any of the bandaids causes the system to shut down. Nobody understands why except an 89 year old living in southern Guatamala, who can only be contacted three days a month via passenger pigeon delivered messages.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Cthulu Carl posted:

Our network in the building has been up and down randomly over the last two weeks. Every time it goes out, there's a big bridge call where... Everyone who's NOT on the networking team fixed the issue while the networking team just shrugs and says they don't know what's happening.

The last outage caused a change freeze to be put in place so people stop loving poo poo up on the network... Today LAN and wifi are both down. Lmao.

Should be a good day to be IT in the office, but our userbase refuses to read the sign that says "THE NETWORK IS DOWN. WE ARE AWARE. THERE IS NO ETA."

Our IT has gotten so lazy, what with the plant closing down and all, that for 2 months straight every time 3rd shift came in to start the plant up on Sunday night all the cache and swap space on the network drives was full, with no way to clear it.

This is obviously exactly what you want when you have robots taking pictures of microscopic soldering work and logic testers testing boards and generating test records, all reliant on network drive space. It didn't cause any problems with serious consequences for anyone (this is a lie, a temp got fired for marking untested boards as tested, then they found out a couple of the techs had that going on too).

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Outrail posted:

Removing any of the bandaids causes the system to shut down. Nobody understands why except an 89 year old living in southern Guatamala, who can only be contacted three days a month via passenger pigeon delivered messages.

Too bad the passenger pigeon went extinct in 1914.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

McGavin posted:

Too bad the passenger pigeon went extinct in 1914.

The memorial in the Cincinnati Zoo is very good and very depressing

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Cthulu Carl posted:

The memorial in the Cincinnati Zoo is very good and very depressing

Harambe, the passenger pigeon; is there anything the Cincinnati Zoo can't kill?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

McGavin posted:

Harambe, the passenger pigeon; is there anything the Cincinnati Zoo can't kill?

They're gearing up to murder God

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

They're gearing up to murder God

Gotta catch and domesticate it first

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Network finally came back up. Turns out a switch died so hard it took down the redundancies or some poo poo.

Also it happened at 9 PM last night, and only one guy in India got the automated alert email, and he decided to... Do nothing.

Apparently the CIO was on the bridge call while they were troubleshooting and I'm glad I wasn't because I would have just been a stream of "Why doesn't the alert go to everyone on the networking team? Why are we still using 15 year old hardware at what you people keep calling a 'critical location'? Why is the closet guy to our office with actual networking knowledge in loving Arkansas?" And probably also offer to break the network weekly for half the cost of the actual networking team.

As Holly Anderson said "I recognize that this is not helpful, but please understand I am not trying to help."

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Network finally came back up. Turns out a switch died so hard it took down the redundancies or some poo poo.

Also it happened at 9 PM last night, and only one guy in India got the automated alert email, and he decided to... Do nothing.

Apparently the CIO was on the bridge call while they were troubleshooting and I'm glad I wasn't because I would have just been a stream of "Why doesn't the alert go to everyone on the networking team? Why are we still using 15 year old hardware at what you people keep calling a 'critical location'? Why is the closet guy to our office with actual networking knowledge in loving Arkansas?" And probably also offer to break the network weekly for half the cost of the actual networking team.

As Holly Anderson said "I recognize that this is not helpful, but please understand I am not trying to help."

One of my bosses (yes, my three bosses) has terminal boomer brain when it comes to anything more advanced than a very simple electronic calculator and every time he's on call with the like three dudes employed as IT at my contractor, I can literally hear "gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you" barely contained in their voices. :allears:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

lol this sounds exactly like some of the people I work with.

Why did you give the responsibility of 3 freezers full of samples to someone who doesn't have access to the physical freezer space? Why do you not set up a single alarm if these samples are "irreplaceable"?! :psyduck:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The closest thing we have to a network tech (he's on the firewall team) just left and isn't answering his phone, and the dude who is in charge of physical security came up here screaming "The incident is not resolved!!" Because the security people still can't get in the network.

Lol, maybe this will get Firewall Guy fired finally because he looks like a gigantic 12 year old and can't open his mouth without being extremely "I'm the smartest man in the room"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It certainly sounds like someone is trying to get fired.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

A Festivus Miracle posted:

One of my bosses (yes, my three bosses) has terminal boomer brain when it comes to anything more advanced than a very simple electronic calculator and every time he's on call with the like three dudes employed as IT at my contractor, I can literally hear "gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you" barely contained in their voices. :allears:

A boomer at my org today announced he has held up a big project for several months because when he copy pasted an email address to an external partner, he included the period at the end of the sentence. Like "smith@yahoo.com." Including that period over and over and over, until he finally called IT to "fix" it for him. He has been getting "undeliverable" messages but he hadn't thought they were important. We have been operating under the assumption that the external partner has been avoiding and ignoring us since March. Nope, just this rear end in a top hat can't figure out email.

\/\/ His literal words were "I copied an extra period and the Outlook didn't like it."

BigHead fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 12, 2022

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
yahoo.com. is actually the correct fqdn and it should have worked fine :confused:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Lol drat. A few years ago worked with a vendor that still used AOL. It was the only email service that would cut off subject lines and also insert ads into the bottom of his sent mail.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

DELETE CASCADE posted:

yahoo.com. is actually the correct fqdn and it should have worked fine :confused:

The outlook.com mail server just rejected a test email with an ending full stop. "The format of the email address isn't correct."

Maybe Microsoft are being non-compliant again.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

BigHead posted:

A boomer

has been getting "undeliverable" messages but he hadn't thought they were important

Oh no

No

I just can’t

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Escape From Noise posted:

I need more cold room space and more kegs if I'm gonna be able to get any real production out of this brewery. But OTOH less work. Although I wish that the restaurant people would clean up the loving cold room. There was a puddle of beer across the entire floor from Friday to the following Monday because "they were busy". I get that tending bar on a crowded night can get hectic, but you're telling me you couldn't drag a loving mop across the floor for a few seconds before it coagulated into a sticky mass that's much harder to clean up later? You could always do an invitatial quick clean, then come back later to do things more thoroughly. And you cannot convince me you were slammed Sunday evening.

Do you work at my brewery? Because getting the bartenders to do a loving thing is impossible, and the two taproom managers can't be arsed to do anything about it. All the taproom responsibilities other than "pour beer into glass and take money" are gradually being delegated to me and the other brewer, and no matter how clearly we communicate things like the locations of different kegs they can't be bothered to look before snapping at us about not being able to find something. Hell, I've had to scrub the toilets when they get too gross because nobody else would do it.

/edit: Also, the owners (yes, we have four owners) like to get into arguments with the other brewer on the company Slack about completely irrelevant poo poo that he spends hours dealing with. One time on a busy day he got into an hour-long fight with one of the owners about whether a cask ale transferred to a keg still qualified as a cask ale, and it took all my might not to tell him to get his priorities straight. The owners are all a bunch of techbros with day jobs and can't manage poo poo here, so the other brewer and I end up picking up after their confusion.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 12, 2022

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Scrub toilet for your own use, use it, then filth it up again.

I can't understand how some people just love to make more work for other people. When I was a janitor at a casino, the filthiest people who wrecked poo poo the fastest were my fellow employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Outrail posted:

The correct days in which to contact him can only be determined via a complex system of auguries, horoscopes, and Zodiac Killer cryptograms. If the pigeon is dispatched on an incorrect day, it's is ritualistically fed to the dark creatures responsible for continued uptime, and you are invoiced for 'emergency response to trouble ticket'.