Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Question for thread,

How does Russia even plan to hold their current gained territory? From what I gather, they don't have enough troops and thinking long term I don't see how on earth they'd be able to hold everything down unless they're willing to fight an insurgency - one funded my western nations - over decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Question for thread,

How does Russia even plan to hold their current gained territory? From what I gather, they don't have enough troops and thinking long term I don't see how on earth they'd be able to hold everything down unless they're willing to fight an insurgency - one funded my western nations - over decades.

This one seems fairly telegraphed so far. They are angling to take/hold whatever remaining land they can and quickly hold sham elections 'confirming' those regions inclusions into russia, so that when it comes time for Ukraine to start taking them back they will threaten to nuke Ukraine. Whether they go through with it as the Ukrainian army marches into those regions steamrolling all the way is another question entirely.

As for insurgencies, I'd wager their main mechanism to thwart them (and for all intents and purposes is their current modus operandi) is genocide.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Question for thread,

They probably don't plan to use the army for occupation. They have an entire zoo of various security services and police agencies that would take over after a while IIRC they send a truck full of OMON pigs into Kyiv in the early days of the invasion.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Even when people predicted that Russia would be able to conquer the entire country easily enough, that was a common question. Ukraine is much more populous than 1970s Afghanistan.

To be a bit grim: I think the plan was to kill and/or displace a significant portion of the local population and replace with Russian nationals. So, yeah: genocide.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

They probably don't plan to use the army for occupation. They have an entire zoo of various security services and police agencies that would take over after a while IIRC they send a truck full of OMON pigs into Kyiv in the early days of the invasion.

As far as I know, they've had to move their security forces to the front lines to fight and according to western militaries you need some like 4:1 advantage in occupied areas along with controlled borders. They're not even close.

Edit - Unless, of course you just genocide all the locals.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Nitrox posted:

Reddit does not let you view anything marked mature content, unless you're using an app.

Replace the "www" with "old"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

GABA ghoul posted:

yeah the plan was simply to cleanse the areas. 'cleanse' in the customary way that the russian government and military uses the term to mean removing and/or neutralizing anyone and everyone who opposes them or might possibly oppose them. This means political and civil opposition as well as military opposition.

Like that was explicitly their pre-war plan and was why they'd pre-drawn lists of people to remove in each region that they planned to take

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

As far as I know, they've had to move their security forces to the front lines to fight and according to western militaries you need some like 4:1 advantage in occupied areas along with controlled borders. They're not even close.

Edit - Unless, of course you just genocide all the locals.

see above, and see mariupol for an example of what that looks like in practice. Or Bucha, for that matter.

It's indistinguishable also from Assad's strategy for dealing with dissenting areas in Syria.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 12, 2022

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Going with the Syria approach, I suspect that would work but that is insanely far from Putin's original goals. And increase the likelihood it'll end up like another Chechnya.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

New Coke posted:

Even when people predicted that Russia would be able to conquer the entire country easily enough, that was a common question. Ukraine is much more populous than 1970s Afghanistan.

To be a bit grim: I think the plan was to kill and/or displace a significant portion of the local population and replace with Russian nationals. So, yeah: genocide.

Russia's usual operation for this seems to be to get some of the more authoritarian leaning locals to take over the occupation and handle things, (Luhanks, Donetsk, Checnya, etc)

thats why I think Kherson is such an interesting issue - they're not following the script, and I think that's frustrating Russia's efforts there immensely.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Very nice of Ukraine to commemorate 4th of july with impressive fireworks but at some point maybe we should tell them that it isn't a month long thing. Or I guess we could not tell them that.

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1546598454142566402?s=20&t=j4QBcqyNIJsCYuIycpKYBg

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Going with the Syria approach, I suspect that would work but that is insanely far from Putin's original goals. And increase the likelihood it'll end up like another Chechnya.

... Have you seen the towns in Ukraine after Russia has finished capturing them?

Also the ship has already sailed wrt this ending up as merely a chechnya sized military and political disaster.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Doccers posted:

Russia's usual operation for this seems to be to get some of the more authoritarian leaning locals to take over the occupation and handle things, (Luhanks, Donetsk, Checnya, etc)

thats why I think Kherson is such an interesting issue - they're not following the script, and I think that's frustrating Russia's efforts there immensely.

That ties into their earlier incorrect assumptions. Thinking that Ukraine wants to be liberated, brought back into Russia and resistance would be minimal.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Chechnya was a military and political defeat for Russia and the deal struck for peace was literally for peace at any cost, which in practical terms meant total sovereignty and untouchability for Kadyrov (so long as he remains personally loyal to putin) as well as massive Russian financial support for Kadyrov's government in Chechnya, which is a fancy way of saying they pay him for peace.

Anyways the Russian formal, doctrinal concept of 'cleansing' does not mean extermination or total destruction really: it means the complete removal and/or neutralization of any opposition or challenge to their power. It's interpreted broadly and extends into social and cultural institutions that don't square away with Russian nationalist values (hence all the anti-lgbt stuff, despite no one really expecting a small town's lgbt folks to significantly hinder Russian geopolitical aims). Ideally it's intended to be carried out through state security and paramilitaries and creating enough terror that many people simply flee. While it does not necessarily include extermination or total destruction, that is in no way off the table, either. The absolute key point of cleansing an area is that it stops becoming an administrative/military nightmare that complicates the larger strategic effort.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 12, 2022

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

DandyLion posted:

This one seems fairly telegraphed so far. They are angling to take/hold whatever remaining land they can and quickly hold sham elections 'confirming' those regions inclusions into russia, so that when it comes time for Ukraine to start taking them back they will threaten to nuke Ukraine. Whether they go through with it as the Ukrainian army marches into those regions steamrolling all the way is another question entirely.

As for insurgencies, I'd wager their main mechanism to thwart them (and for all intents and purposes is their current modus operandi) is genocide.

I doubt this very much. The Russians seem at sea for a plan, because it seems like they still want all of Eastern Ukraine including Kharkiv.

My best guess though would be that at some point they will realize they cannot do this, then they will hold their sham elections and declare a unilateral cease fire and demand negotiation, where they hope that the West will be sick of the war and pressure Ukraine into territorial concessions for peace.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 13, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Doccers posted:

Re: logistics, Resupply, and HIMARS range -

If a grad is having to drive 20 miles each way back and forth from launch point to resupply,

at what point is it going to break down? We've already seen that Russia has some .... issues... with vehicular maintenance, and the logistics associated with that. And 40 miles a day (at minimum) is gonna add up super quick.

Generally you don't drive the launch vehicle around. I mean you do, to shoot and scoot and rendezvous with your supply trucks, but you don't drive the launcher to the depot. You drive a lighter, dedicated resupply vehicle like the 9T26, a Ural truck that holds 60 rockets, which is more than the capacity of most of the launch systems. Trucks are pretty easy to fix compared to tracked vehicles.

d64
Jan 15, 2003
As for insurgencies, with the slow grind of the war as it is now, how much of the population is left in place on any taken territory? I thought I read a week or two ago that over 80% of the population of some area at the front had evacuated. How much of the pre-2014 population of Crimea is left in Crimea and how many of those were pro-Russian to start with?

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Seems some mutual shelling tonight

Luhansk

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1546967637086937088

Bakhmut

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1546969860126785536?cxt=HHwWgIC-8Ye5-PcqAAAA

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's indistinguishable also from Assad's strategy for dealing with dissenting areas in Syria.

I suppose that's why there's still regular cycles of denial for even the clearest pattern of russian genocide, war crimes, terror bombing, etc

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

What I know that you also know is "indefinite sanctions" are not indefinite. If Russia collapses into what I call "ultra federalization" ala oblasts only care about themselves, Iran stands more alone than they are now because they won't have A united Russia as a strong ally. If Iran stays out of the conflict they can continue to attempt to get sanctions lifted.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I've been reading some pro-Russian gov opinions about the sanctions on Russia, and the idealistic hardliners seem to love them as they view them as cutting down on 'corrupting western influence' and promoting autarky. With that in mind, I don't think that the current Iranian regime gives a rat's shart about the sanctions (though, I know very little about them TBH). They might even like them in some capacity.

If I was in the Iranian government's shoes, my line of thinking would be something like "Russia needs drones, I have drones, Russia has cash, I need cash, therefore, I will trade drones for cash, especially if Russia is cutting me a better deal than I could get elsewhere."

Where Russia ends up politically after the war, and how my government is perceived by a bunch of governments who despise me anyways would have no effect on my mental calculous of the risk involved.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

d64 posted:

As for insurgencies, with the slow grind of the war as it is now, how much of the population is left in place on any taken territory? I thought I read a week or two ago that over 80% of the population of some area at the front had evacuated. How much of the pre-2014 population of Crimea is left in Crimea and how many of those were pro-Russian to start with?

Best we can tell, pre-2014 invasion Sevastopol was >50% pro-Russian, and the rest of the peninsula was maybe ~30% pro-Russian. There were some 200-300 thousand people displaced from Crimea before Russia locked it down, and from there your guess is as good as mine on further population movements. Ukrainian sources believe that over 1 million settlers have arrived in Crimea in the recent 8 years. If accurate, with earlier economic movements, internal repressions, and 8 years of living under Russian control, it would suggest that at the moment the absolute majority could be pro-Russian, by design.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Chechnya was a military and political defeat for Russia and the deal struck for peace was literally for peace at any cost, which in practical terms meant total sovereignty and untouchability for Kadyrov (so long as he remains personally loyal to putin) as well as massive Russian financial support for Kadyrov's government in Chechnya, which is a fancy way of saying they pay him for peace.

Even if that scenario does happen... That's so freaking far from Putin's original goal. He enormously hosed up.

d64
Jan 15, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Best we can tell, pre-2014 invasion Sevastopol was >50% pro-Russian, and the rest of the peninsula was maybe ~30% pro-Russian. There were some 200-300 thousand people displaced from Crimea before Russia locked it down, and from there your guess is as good as mine on further population movements. Ukrainian sources believe that over 1 million settlers have arrived in Crimea in the recent 8 years. If accurate, with earlier economic movements, internal repressions, and 8 years of living under Russian control, it would suggest that at the moment the absolute majority could be pro-Russian, by design.
Yea, what I'm after here is that if Russia were to take some area or city, probably many of the inhabitants would have left their homes, and (just speculating) many of those who would stay, or return, would be those who would not mind the occupation as much. An active insurgency would require a population of Ukrainian patriots.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Even if that scenario does happen... That's so freaking far from Putin's original goal. He enormously hosed up.

Such is the esteemed history of the Russian special operation

Also there's no Kadyrov in Ukraine for Putin to make a deal with.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 12, 2022

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Another day, another dump. My untutored opinion is that these places make a neighborhood unsafe and should be reported to your HOA.
https://twitter.com/Archer83Able/status/1546971433531854848

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

d64 posted:

Yea, what I'm after here is that if Russia were to take some area or city, probably many of the inhabitants would have left their homes, and (just speculating) many of those who would stay, or return, would be those who would not mind the occupation as much. An active insurgency would require a population of Ukrainian patriots.

Crimea was very difficult to leave, being a peninsula and all, but the takeover act didn’t pose an immediate threat to the health of the civilians. I don’t think these are comparable situations.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 12, 2022

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

a fun side note is that Fred Durst might be one of those Crimean settlers

https://www.dw.com/en/limp-bizkit-frontman-fred-durst-banned-from-ukraine/a-18933381

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

d64 posted:

I imagine the situation would depend on the state of the active Ukrainian resistance. If there is still a Ukrainian state to evacuate to and an Ukrainian army that's fighting a conventional war, it's probably a safer bet on that instead of local insurgency efforts. Not saying there aren't insurgents in the occupied areas, but the scale of activities and risk tolerance would naturally shift depending on where the wall is.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

FishBulbia posted:

https://twitter.com/rgilliescanada/status/1546846411249094656

Remember, the US had these capabilities during COVID, it was rather intentional actions they took that knowing led to the death of 1.5 million people.

Agreed. The Trump administration was utter poo poo.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Chill Monster posted:

I've been reading some pro-Russian gov opinions about the sanctions on Russia, and the idealistic hardliners seem to love them as they view them as cutting down on 'corrupting western influence' and promoting autarky. With that in mind, I don't think that the current Iranian regime gives a rat's shart about the sanctions (though, I know very little about them TBH). They might even like them in some capacity.

If I was in the Iranian government's shoes, my line of thinking would be something like "Russia needs drones, I have drones, Russia has cash, I need cash, therefore, I will trade drones for cash, especially if Russia is cutting me a better deal than I could get elsewhere."

Where Russia ends up politically after the war, and how my government is perceived by a bunch of governments who despise me anyways would have no effect on my mental calculous of the risk involved.

Yeah but this is the same reason Spain didn't join the axis. Even as the war was still going okay if obvious to The outsiders that things were going downhill fast.

Like I can understand this thinking if Iran had an existential Invasion threat on the horizon but it doesn't. It's pretty drat stable all things considered. Yeah I know US warhawking etc but that hasn't completely come into fruiting. It's also glaringly obvious that Russia isn't the ally Iran needs to bulwark against the US.

You should definitely look into Iran politics surrounding the sanctions a little more as the mainstream Iranians definitely would love to see sanctions gone but the government stays.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Iran has already spent a ton of time providing every kind of aid imaginable to groups opposing American/American aligned interests. They don't really care about the reaction and arming your enemies enemies, while something that will absolutely get a variety of unfriendly responses (including covert and clandestine responses), is kind of just a part of international politics. Hell, Iran was providing munitions that were being directly used against American forces in Iraq for much of the 2000s and they spent the 2010s in proxy wars with American allies and supported groups. Once ISIS was on the scene the US even started working with some of those same Iranian supported groups. There's something tangibly impersonal about it, like it's just business and politics.

Also there is an existential conflict on the horizon for Iran: it's a seemingly inevitable (at least to hear KSA's view of it) showdown with Saudi Arabia, which has been spending germany in the 1930s % of its gdp on its military for most of the last decade while loudly talking about Iran as their regional geopolitical nemesis. If that happens, Iran will need all the friends it can get (which is indeed why Iran has been skilfully cultivating a region spanning network of allied military and paramilitary forces).

[sorry for all the middle east posting, just doing it when it comes up because it does factor into this]

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 13, 2022

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Chill Monster posted:

I've been reading some pro-Russian gov opinions about the sanctions on Russia, and the idealistic hardliners seem to love them as they view them as cutting down on 'corrupting western influence' and promoting autarky.

There's also a strong belief that with the sanctions it'll bring a bunch of blue collar jobs back to the Country. Similar to how Trump would bring back manufacturing to the rust belt.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I'm basically hoping the first ATACMS is used to blow the loving bridge up.

--

While I agree wholy that Iran does have the sauds to contend with eventually, making an ally of Russia at this point probably isn't going to benefit them quite as much as it would before you know Russia's pulling t62 out of the loving exporting lot.

The other thing is the sods may have all this lovely gear but that doesn't make up for like you said Iran's region wide resistance efforts. I don't want to talk about this anymore and like you said in your post it's a lot of Middle East bullshit that doesn't belong here.

But I feel like it would be potentially devastating for Iran to tie the rope with Russia more than it already has. Especially when we're talking about a huge Russian fuckup

Having friends doesn't stop your car from crashing if it's already speeding into the divider while blasting you guessed it. Heavy bass.

Let's not continue this discussion as it is currently a fairly minor feature and Iranian UAVs aren't going to change the outcome as Iranian UAVs are on par with the Chinese radios Russia is using.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Iranian UAVs aren't going to change the outcome as Iranian UAVs are on par with the Chinese radios Russia is using.

Iran has pretty decent UAVs for what Russia is doing now. Namely: very cost-effective one-way attack and ISR, both of which are easy to use.

It might be a sideshow weapon thing in Ukraine, but don’t sleep on the Iranian drone R&D and manufacturing industry. They’re quite good at cost effective UAS; it’s just not much compared to like.. tens of thousands of troops occupying land.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1546907014756024321

Good thread.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yeah but this is the same reason Spain didn't join the axis. Even as the war was still going okay if obvious to The outsiders that things were going downhill fast.

It was a bit more complicated than that. There were negotiations in 1940, Franco wanted food, military supplies and some of the French colonies in North Africa, in exchange for joining the war and helping the Germans take Gibraltar. That went nowhere fairly quickly, when it became clear Hitler had to ameliorate Vichy France in order to keep the colonies from switching sides to de Gaule. But this is really not the thread for that.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hannibal Rex posted:

It was a bit more complicated than that. There were negotiations in 1940, Franco wanted food, military supplies and some of the French colonies in North Africa, in exchange for joining the war and helping the Germans take Gibraltar. That went nowhere fairly quickly, when it became clear Hitler had to ameliorate Vichy France in order to keep the colonies from switching sides to de Gaule. But this is really not the thread for that.

Also the unquantifiable intervention of Canaris

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Question for thread,

They'll probably put Amani or Victor in the captured city and chop out a quick monument.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Question for thread,

Bring in Russian TV. Not a joke.

https://www.newsweek.com/new-mayor-occupied-ukraine-city-demands-russia-tv-true-information-1687578

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1546605456889679884
https://twitter.com/IntelArrow/status/1546882181053693954

Uragan and Grad rockets are now decoy rounds too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Tank logistics chat: there are rumors in Polish military channels that Poland will supply Ukraine with all the remaining T-72 based tanks still in inventory, which should be 230 PT-91 (T-72 upgraded or build new in 1990', some got later upgrades). In exchange Poland will get 300 Abrams, probably reserve stock. Which in turn might turn Poland to the third largest user in Abrams tanks in a couple of years, once the recently ordered new ones arrive.