Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
america is a nation obsessed with (and delighting in) cruelty and death, it makes sense that its films reflect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2qpKUExOnE

Movie about the first black Navy fighter pilot, Jesse Brown.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

Would you prefer another movie about Spartans?

Yes, perhaps a movie in which we get to meet a bunch of them.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Vikings?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's been discovered that there were black Vikings - probably transplanted Moors. Feel free to use this knowledge to piss off white supremacists.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Day Shift - new vampire flick with Snoop Dogg and Jamie Foxx (lovin' the double last consonant duo).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN_IwBptKi4

I'm so tired of Vampire stuff, but looks like some brain dead very-not-serious fun.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BonoMan posted:

I'm so tired of Vampire Snoop stuff

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

BonoMan posted:

Day Shift - new vampire flick with Snoop Dogg and Jamie Foxx (lovin' the double last consonant duo).

I'm so tired of Vampire stuff, but looks like some brain dead very-not-serious fun.

This looks like if John Carpenter's Vampires was good. (If you like it, don't come at me, you know.) I'm in.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 11, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
"What if you were grappling and your opponent was a limb-bending vampire?" is a dang good premise for an action scene, honestly.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"What if you were grappling and your opponent was a limb-bending vampire?" is a dang good premise for an action scene, honestly.

I think the T-X did that in Terminator 3.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Scuffy_1989 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2qpKUExOnE

Movie about the first black Navy fighter pilot, Jesse Brown.

The actual films were made several years apart, but it's funny to see Glenn Powell in this plane movie just a few months after Top Gun: Maverick.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Bugblatter posted:

The actual films were made several years apart, but it's funny to see Glenn Powell in this plane movie just a few months after Top Gun: Maverick.

Yeah, is he going to be stereotyped as a Naval Aviator?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Makes sense that a bunch of fighter pilot movies are going to come out right after Top Gun just like the first one.

Iron Eagle wasn't half bad

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

kiimo posted:

Makes sense that a bunch of fighter pilot movies are going to come out right after Top Gun just like the first one.

Iron Eagle was actually done before Top Gun.

Sometimes Hollywood just has cases of convergent evolution.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

BonoMan posted:

Looks fun. Much better than I had in my head reading the synopsis

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oh it beat it to the screen for sure but nobody can convince me that movie got greenlit without hearing what Tony Scott was cooking up

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

kiimo posted:

Yeah, it's just funny to see the same actor in both is all. This is like if Val Kilmer had also been in Iron Eagle.

I looked into it and apparently, Glenn Powell is the guy who purchased the novel's rights to get this film made and he purchased them right after he finished filming on Top Gun. So, it's probably the case that he had fun and wanted to do more airplane stuff.

He required the other actors to do flight training to experience real Gs, like Cruise did. Though the cockpit photography sounds like it's just normal bluescreen stuff.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 12, 2022

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
That director has basically no resume at all. I doubt that movie is going to be any good at all.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

BonoMan posted:

:laffo: I’m in.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hahah I watched the trailer before reading the post text and guffawed at the dialogue reveal.

life of lemons
Sep 7, 2005

I steal stuff all the time.

BonoMan posted:

This is a return to form for orange-blue movies

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnmBz3IGik4

quote:

This is the quality of a halloween McDonald’s commercial from the 80s, it’s awful. I was expecting the McNuggets to pop up in their Dracula and mummy costumes

It looks like some 90's Canadian made for TV movie. Yikes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jeez, could they not have picked a better shot for the preview frame? Makes it look along the same quality as *that* Fantastic Four film.

e: oh, watching it... I guess not. I've been neutral on this film the whole time, but my god if that's the best trailer they can cut from it then it's going to bomb so incredibly hard. It looks like it was made over a weekend. All the money and time recreating the house and that's what they got out of it? What an absolute waste.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 13, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think I love it. But I might also hate it?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It looks like Are You Afraid of the Dark crossed with, I dunno, that Dinosaurs show? For some reason I kept waiting for Nickelodeon slime to dump on someone's head

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

It looks like Are You Afraid of the Dark crossed with, I dunno, that Dinosaurs show? For some reason I kept waiting for Nickelodeon slime to dump on someone's head

Yeah I immediately got AYAOTD vibes and 90's Goosebumps vibes (both things my 8 year old watches religiously so they're fresh on my mind).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I really want to hear a interview with Zombie about what he's going for, because I think the look was deliberate and it's just coming off as dated and cheapo to everyone, including people like me who are interested in the movie but just totally put off by everything they've seen so far.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think that's about a wrap on his directing career maybe make more Thunderkiss '65 songs I'm into that

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Holy poo poo. How does that look worse than the new Kevin Smith movie? How?!

I'm stunned.

I don't know much about making movies, but is it possible that he planned on making it in black and white, and late in the pre-production game the studio said no, so they had to rush to adapt the sets, props, costumes, and cinematography to be in color instead, and so they had to go with the quickest, cheapest way possible?

I'm just searching for anything to explain what I just saw.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I really want to hear a interview with Zombie about what he's going for, because I think the look was deliberate and it's just coming off as dated and cheapo to everyone, including people like me who are interested in the movie but just totally put off by everything they've seen so far.

I would also very much like to see an interview with Zombie now. I feel like I need answers.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s a wrap because of one bad movie?

Don’t ffffffffreakin @ me his stuff is pretty good. I haven’t seen 31 yet.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He went for a very colorful 60’s kind of inspired thing and he just pushed it a bit too hard with a bad camera.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CelticPredator posted:

I agree. I've liked some of his stuff, and not liked others, but they all look like, you know, movies. Until now.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CelticPredator posted:

He went for a very colorful 60’s kind of inspired thing and he just pushed it a bit too hard with a bad camera.

Thinking about it for more than a second, I'm wondering if he is trying for the Robert Rodriguez route with Spy Kids and his other kids movies. Which similarly look just insane.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Love Rob Zombie, but that looks like poo poo. Even the sound mix seems funky.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

kiimo posted:

I think that's about a wrap on his directing career maybe make more Thunderkiss '65 songs I'm into that

His solo career has been pretty dreadful in my eyes - so who knows where the magic came from on Sexorcisto and Astro-Creep. That being said, the 1st album has some decent songs but nothing since has even compared.

...I still will see him live though cause the show is amazing and John 5 is a god at guitar

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Found an interview from last month where he talks about the colors.

quote:

As he puts it, “I knew that if I went in and demanded ‘This movie’s going to be in black and white or forget it!’ we would not be talking about the Munsters right now, because it would have never happened,” adding a classic Zombie “I guaran-f---ing-tee it,” to drive the point home.

But Zombie didn’t allow this slight setback to stifle his creativity and stop him from putting his own twist on the feature. Instead, he decided to make it overly colorful in a way that he describes as making the colors “hyper-real.” He knew his plan was working when he saw the actors strolling around the set in between takes commenting, “they looked like cartoon characters come to life. They were just so insanely colorful.” From there, the seasoned horror filmmaker knew it was up to him to bring the eye-catching colors full circle. Realizing that he would need to “light the movie in the same fashion,” the director set out to give the flick a “live action cartoon” feel, something that absolutely comes through in the couch scene at the end of the teaser.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Hell hath no fury like wasting a big budget on a flop is all I'm saying. I have never seen his other stuff I just don't think they made money

edit: well not entirely true

Director 10 films US $148,318,805 INTL $58,424,996 TOTAL $206,743,801

kiimo fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 13, 2022

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Munsters looks and sounds like they couldn't afford to hire a crew to shoot or record sound on it at all. Just Rob Zombie and a stabilized cell phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

thrawn527 posted:

Found an interview from last month where he talks about the colors.

Well, IMO it doesn't look like a live action cartoon, it looks like a live-action TV Movie circa 1981.