Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

FishBulbia posted:

I'm sorry, but weren't you basically implying that there has been a decrease in the intensity of the conflict? That grad barrage is the heaviest of the war I've seen.

I mean it sucks, because that's what Grads do (each has 40 tubes). Given the benefit of the doubt, surely you understand that's one target on one front, and surely you are not faux-naïf projecting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

firms is not strictly speaking neutral nor an unmediated data stream fyi

?? that's not even an especially heavy barrage as far as those things go

...I'm not sure what you mean. It's a straight satellite feed of fire detection data from satellites run by NASA and NOAA. How is it being mediated?

For people's reference RE: fire detection, from the FIRMS FAQ

quote:

Why was a particular fire not detected?

There are several reasons why MODIS or VIIRS may not have detected a certain fire: The fire may have started and ended between satellite observations; cloud cover, heavy smoke, or tree canopy may completely obscure a fire; occasionally the instruments are inoperable and can observe nothing during these times (see data outages and known issues for MODIS and VIIRS); or the fire may have been too small or too cool to be detected. The VIIRS 375 m active fire product provides a greater response over fires of relatively small areas due to its higher spatial resolution and it has improved nighttime performance. For more information on the minimum size of fire that can be detected using MODIS data see "What is the smallest fire size that can be detected?" and "How do I know if a fire detection was missed due to cloud or missing data?"

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

FishBulbia posted:

Fyi, there are strong indications that Russia attempted to "trade" Venezuela to the Americans for Ukraine, if you want to understand how they see global politics.

That smells very strongly of bullshit. Venezuela and Ukraine both have agency, and the governments of both deeply hate the other major power.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Reportedly another ammo depot got hit in new Kahovka near Kherson (video inside)

https://theins.ru/news/253139

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Herstory Begins Now posted:

firms is not strictly speaking neutral nor an unmediated data stream fyi

?? that's not even an especially heavy barrage as far as those things go

That second video Illia posted?

It's a free website though, you should go check what that operational pause looks like

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Saladman posted:

That smells very strongly of bullshit. Venezuela and Ukraine both have agency, and the governments of both deeply hate the other major power.

"The Russians [...] were signaling very strongly that they wanted to somehow make some very strange swap arrangement between Venezuela and Ukraine: [...] You want us out of your backyard [...]We have our own version of this. You're in our backyard in Ukraine. And we were getting that sent to us, kind of informally through channels. It was in the Russian press, various commentators,” says Fiona Hill at the U.S. Congress.

https://en.hromadske.ua/posts/russians-wanted-ukraine-in-exchange-for-venezuela-diplomat-fiona-hill-in-congress

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Hitler would never just invade Poland, doesn't he realize Poland has agency?

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

FishBulbia posted:

It's a free website though, you should go check what that operational pause looks like

https://v.redd.it/5h3qqwx95db91/DASH_240.mp4?source=fallback.gif

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
With Snake Island retaken, why can't Ukraine ship via Romanian and Bulgarian waters?

I'm apparently missing something. What I've read sounds like Ukrainian shipments would be attacked by Russian warships even if they were IN Romanian, Bulgarian or Turkish black sea waters. Otherwise, wouldn't it be viable to ship from Odesa, have the ships hug Ukraine's black sea coast and stay under the umbrella of Ukraine's anti-ship defenses until they reach the safety of Romanian territorial waters, after which they'd cross into Bulgarian and Turkish waters through the Bosporus?

Is there a reason Romania and Bulgaria wouldn't want Ukrainian ships in their waters? If the Russians really will attack ships in other waters that would be a major escalation by them that I haven't discussion of yet.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Eregos posted:

With Snake Island retaken, why can't Ukraine ship via Romanian and Bulgarian waters?

I'm apparently missing something. What I've read sounds like Ukrainian shipments would be attacked by Russian warships even if they were IN Romanian, Bulgarian or Turkish black sea waters. Otherwise, wouldn't it be viable to ship from Odesa, have the ships hug Ukraine's black sea coast and stay under the umbrella of Ukraine's anti-ship defenses until they reach the safety of Romanian territorial waters, after which they'd cross into Bulgarian and Turkish waters through the Bosporus?

Is there a reason Romania and Bulgaria wouldn't want Ukrainian ships in their waters? If the Russians really will attack ships in other waters that would be a major escalation by them that I haven't discussion of yet.

Ukraine is already blockaded, but in 2022 you can't declare war or blockades because :decorum:

It is a 'maritime policing action' or whatever

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Eregos posted:

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-middle-east-global-trade-united-nations-6edbc1c4a8ccb9757a6068c1b215946b

On that note, there’s a swarm of ships in Romanian territorial waters at the moment, apparently.

https://twitter.com/dimitarbechev/status/1546911854869495810

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Eregos posted:

Russia dumped a bunch of mines, so insurance companies are loath to have their cargo ships blow up.

There are some shipments going regardless. Ukraine, Turkey, Russia and the UN had a session today to work out safe passage for more.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Victis posted:

https://v.redd.it/5h3qqwx95db91/DASH_240.mp4?source=fallback.gif

If you look there has actually been minimal fighting since mid june

june 15

july 12

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

FishBulbia posted:

that's cluster submunitions

Russia's been using them literally every single week of this war

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

If you look there has actually been minimal fighting since mid june

june 15

july 12

What is the point you’re trying to make with those 2 images?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Victis posted:

I mean it sucks, because that's what Grads do (each has 40 tubes). Given the benefit of the doubt, surely you understand that's one target on one front, and surely you are not faux-naïf projecting?

The 40 tubes thing is a big point to remember. That was prob like one battery of grads dumping out a full load. Thats very much what they do, and as you implied, not indicative of particularly heavy shelling rather than a probable Grad battery doing a full barrage.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Dandywalken posted:

The 40 tubes thing is a big point to remember. That was prob like one battery of grads dumping out a full load. Thats very much what they do, and as you implied, not indicative of particularly heavy shelling rather than a probable Grad battery doing a full barrage.

strictly speaking it's likely several types of mlrs systems hitting a single target using a variety of munitions. other videos from the same area show them using much bigger mlrs systems than grads, too

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What is the point you’re trying to make with those 2 images?

That you can make any argument you want by changing the window of analysis

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

I’m excited for your spirit to shitpost, but let’s not. You’ve seen the chronological footage, you’ve seen Russians stating that they’re on a break, you’ve failed to articulate how local intensity in a single area determines the overall conflict intensity - if you want to continue this conversation, seeing your mood, I’ll insist that you address acknowledge and address rebuttals seriously.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

FishBulbia posted:

No you're right, I was misleading by presenting the entire front over the specific timeframe we were discussing

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Victis posted:

No you're right, I was misleading by presenting the entire front over the specific timeframe we were discussing

No, but, you see, he has a tweet showing that a barrage happened once therefore NASA satellite info is falsified because of reasons.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Victis posted:

A seven day window is not a frame for judging a half year long conflict.

Cities are still being shelled, and indiscriminate bombings are still being carried out, regardless of what the rashists say

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

mutata posted:

No, but, you see, he has a tweet showing that a barrage happened once therefore NASA satellite info is falsified because of reasons.

Feel free to explain that to the lady in that video

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

FishBulbia posted:

Feel free to extrapolate general conclusions based on a single point of data while simultaneously misrepresenting the conclusion you're needlessly arguing against and dodging direct evidence to the contrary.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

FishBulbia posted:

I missed where the thread was patting itself on the back about how destroying ammo dumps has now rendered Ukraine safe

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

FishBulbia posted:

Feel free to post less.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1547332702709456905

So they've still at least locally got enough shells to carpet an area, but I'll take the claim they wiped out a UKR counter attack with a large pinch of salt.

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014

FishBulbia posted:

A seven day window is not a frame for judging a half year long conflict.

Cities are still being shelled, and indiscriminate bombings are still being carried out, regardless of what the rashists say

I think it is more about the average amount of shelling than shelling period. All of the sources we have are indicating that as a whole, the Russian army is shelling considerably less than it was like two weeks ago. They are still shelling heavily in certain spots, no doubt, but definitely not at the same rate they were before when the whole region is considered. Whether that’s due to their ammo dumps being bombed, the Russian command deciding to take a break, some other factor, or all of the above, is still up in the air.

neamp
Jun 24, 2003
What FIRMS picks up is mostly brush fires. Some of those fires are caused by shelling, but certainly not all. Whether a fire breaks out and is able to grow large enough to be detected depends on factors such as dryness and prevailing winds. And a lot of it is just chance, there are fields that are dotted with hundreds of visible craters but never caught on fire while others burned after a few hits. Shelling in cities often appears invisible with FIRMS unless something very flammable like an oil/ammo depot is hit.
So while there certainly is a correlation between (intensity of) shelling and detected fires, I think one has to be careful in drawing too strong conclusions from day to day variation.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

neamp posted:

What FIRMS picks up is mostly brush fires. Some of those fires are caused by shelling, but certainly not all. Whether a fire breaks out and is able to grow large enough to be detected depends on factors such as dryness and prevailing winds. And a lot of it is just chance, there are fields that are dotted with hundreds of visible craters but never caught on fire while others burned after a few hits. Shelling in cities often appears invisible with FIRMS unless something very flammable like an oil/ammo depot is hit.
So while there certainly is a correlation between (intensity of) shelling and detected fires, I think one has to be careful in drawing too strong conclusions from day to day variation.

For sure - it also has a measurable lag to it.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

neamp posted:

You're right in that FIRMS wasn't designed for this. OSINT (in theory) is combining and corroborating available intel, which FIRMS has been a great tool for and afaik it's proven to be a very reliable source to cross-reference

It also provides a handy high-level visual reference for those that need a hammer instead of an explanation

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

So they've still at least locally got enough shells to carpet an area, but I'll take the claim they wiped out a UKR counter attack with a large pinch of salt.

Those look more like smoke rounds to cover an advance, given placements and the smoke itself

If those are hits and not smoke rounds then that's literally hundreds of vehicles destroyed all at once

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Sometimes when a thing hits the ground really hard, dirt puffs up

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Looks like a big MRLS strike. You can see some warheads landing around the 8-10 s mark

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Something interesting -

Everyone was so worried about the Ukrainians letting arms get trafficked to the Middle East that no one was able to stop the reverse!
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1547332202161119233?s=20&t=IqZEdao6Lj3tkrZPFS79LQ
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1547332211653095424?s=20&t=IqZEdao6Lj3tkrZPFS79LQ

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Pablo Bluth posted:

Shouldn't we see wall to wall bragging about the massive amount of carnage inflicted from this if they actually eliminated a whole column of Ukrainians?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Bashez posted:

Shouldn't we see wall to wall bragging about the massive amount of carnage inflicted from this if they actually eliminated a whole column of Ukrainians?

I find this claim highly dubious. This is just one of the many reasons why.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/J_Bloodworth/status/1547285564327694342/photo/1

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Seeing as the ukrainians basically have map hacks I doubt they'd lose a column like this. It's possibly but I don't see a huge amount of vehicles. And why not use the Himars to provide counter battery fire if they were infact assaulting Kherson.

Earlier I argued that using HIMARs to assault arty pieces was stupid. It still is. However localized counter offensives are a different story than front wide "neutralize the arty". Using a few HIMARS to drop 6-72 (depends on the amount of HIMARs usee) artillery pieces could be very beneficial.

The other thing to realize about this artillery, is I surmise that Russia's artillery troops are not all well trained. Maybe one in three has more than just this war worth of combat experience. The reason I bring this up is that essentially you could teach somebody how to fire an artillery piece while the 30 to 40 year old artillery veterans zero targets in and do the real work. But you could have a single crew fire a few to make the first barrage huge and destructive and the concurrent ones less vigorous. Not sure that they are doing this and I'd have to research a bit to verify barrage sizes over the course of a single engagement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

lol, Russian poster re: Finns and Swedes