Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

goons trying to scalp other goons is the most goony thing I've seen this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

xzzy posted:

Guess you got a bad sheet from lego then, hopefully they can replace it for you easily.

Also make sure you send it to all the bloggers so you can start a frenzy about how lego's quality is horrible and the company doesn't care about any of us.

It's been a few years since I got it, are they still going to replace those?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

uXs posted:

It's been a few years since I got it, are they still going to replace those?

Rule of thumb is that unique parts (including stickers) are available for like 2-3 years after a set is retired. But if the stock runs out early that might be it.

Doesn't hurt to ask if they're still available, can't imagine anyone is going to say no if we still have them in the warehouse.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Waltzing Along posted:

I am finding this saga fascinating. Are you pulling out all the pieces for each step before starting? And then repeating for each step? For technic stuff, you have to be careful to get the pins in the right spots so measure twice cut once and all that.

Good luck!

Well I'm glad someone's find it fascinating LOL. My process is to put all of the contents from whatever step I'm working on, so three or four bags or whatever, into a shallow box. It's actually the lid from a box of paper. Then I separate them by color. For this set I'm using two boxes but still keeping them separate by color. Then I take whichever pieces I need for whichever step I'm working on out of the box and set it down in front of the instruction manual and then use those pieces to put the step together. It's a system that has worked very well for me until this past week and a half.

I definitely have been measuring twice and cutting once especially the second time after I broke everything down to step One. I think at that point I was just in my head too much and was getting frustrated.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Hey fair criticism, not trying to cause a stir or rip anyone off. I’ll knock the price down. I just know the stock on these has been fluctuating since release.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Flyinglemur posted:

Here's my updated model on changing the 70s RT Challenger into a modern Challenger that matches the one in my garage. There are stickers from the Funny Car that will go on this because they use the same 1320 graphics. The hood looks confusing because the hood in real life is pretty curvy and confusing as well. Any advice or help would be met with open arms.

edit: the hood in question

Hey I have the same hood!

I think you did a good job with the intake/exhaust vents on the hood, but I had the same problem trying to replicate the front end in Lego. Even the official one sucks, they just kind of gave up on it. My only criticism is the 2x4 plate kind of looks like the shaker hood, but I'm not sure how you'd avoid that.

I wish I had better advice than just "steal the building technique from the demon and photoshop the yellow in the sticker to be purple," but that's probably what I'm going to wind up doing. Well, gray, but same concept.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Veotax posted:

Rule of thumb is that unique parts (including stickers) are available for like 2-3 years after a set is retired. But if the stock runs out early that might be it.

Doesn't hurt to ask if they're still available, can't imagine anyone is going to say no if we still have them in the warehouse.

Righto. I'm going to take some decent pictures and shoot them an e-mail, we'll see what happens.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Tallneck build was really fun. Did it over the course of ten hours with a bunch of breaks

I swear the manual is wrong for the hind legs and shows the straightish black technic connectors that are in the front legs, rather than the provided grey ones that are 30 degrees further angled or so

Also a big blue ink stain on two pages

Still a blast and I'm positive the orange studs on the head are to show off how phenomenally everything fits together

My kid also got the $20 black panther/shuri dragonfly copter thing, it's honestly real cool looking, especially for the same price as the thor shadow monster thing that I thought was pretty lame

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 14, 2022

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently the Office Set is $100 or $120 which either means a pretty small office or not all of the characters. That said I think there was a Chinese New Years set around that price with like a dozen figures so it isn’t impossible

mastershakeman posted:

Tallneck build was really fun. Did it over the course of ten hours with a bunch of breaks

I swear the manual is wrong for the hind legs and shows the straightish black technic connectors that are in the front legs, rather than the provided grey ones that are 30 degrees further angled or so

Yeah I made that mistake too. I think the instructions are correct it’s just very easy to mix up black and dark grey.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Flyinglemur posted:

Well I'm glad someone's find it fascinating LOL. My process is to put all of the contents from whatever step I'm working on, so three or four bags or whatever, into a shallow box. It's actually the lid from a box of paper. Then I separate them by color. For this set I'm using two boxes but still keeping them separate by color. Then I take whichever pieces I need for whichever step I'm working on out of the box and set it down in front of the instruction manual and then use those pieces to put the step together. It's a system that has worked very well for me until this past week and a half.

I definitely have been measuring twice and cutting once especially the second time after I broke everything down to step One. I think at that point I was just in my head too much and was getting frustrated.

Yeah I’m really curious where you’re messing up too. What exactly isn’t working properly again?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Made the mistake of watching some review videos of the $400 Castle. It’s like a castle modular!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

RatHat posted:

Apparently the Office Set is $100 or $120 which either means a pretty small office or not all of the characters. That said I think there was a Chinese New Years set around that price with like a dozen figures so it isn’t impossible

I would guess that it's the receptionist's desk, Jim/Dwight's desk, and maybe Michael's office. Figures are Pam, Jim, Dwight, Michael. I'd be pleasantly surprised to see more characters, but I feel like that's where they'll cap this set.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

xzzy posted:

Every lego sticker I've ever applied has clung to the brick with the strength of demons and will survive generations of play.
The only time I've had problems with stickers have been small ones on convex pieces, like the front of this boat.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I hosed up stickers nonstop on tallneck since my thumb doesn't work right due to a gun accident when I was a kid, so I'm at the point where I'm wondering if using the library's laser etcher on bricks is a better way to go

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Y'all gotta just buy the ammonia-free Windex, spray the piece before you put the sticker down, and then slide it around until it's where you want it. I'm an anal obsessive dweeb and it satisfies my need to have everything lined up perfectly.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Stick the sticker on a brick separator and use that as your guide.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Strife posted:

Hey I have the same hood!

I think you did a good job with the intake/exhaust vents on the hood, but I had the same problem trying to replicate the front end in Lego. Even the official one sucks, they just kind of gave up on it. My only criticism is the 2x4 plate kind of looks like the shaker hood, but I'm not sure how you'd avoid that.

I wish I had better advice than just "steal the building technique from the demon and photoshop the yellow in the sticker to be purple," but that's probably what I'm going to wind up doing. Well, gray, but same concept.

I could always try to replicate the Demon in Studio using dark purple bricks but to be honest I don't really like how that one looks at all. I'm going to go back to work on the hood tomorrow and see what I can improve on. I definitely like the black trim I added at the bottom.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Yeah I’m really curious where you’re messing up too. What exactly isn’t working properly again?

I like to keep things fresh so every mistake I made was new! Seriously. It was like a comedy of errors and I didn't make the same mistake twice. At some point my broke brain took over, which is why I decided to let it sit for a while and try again when I think it might be fun again. Probably next week.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Flyinglemur posted:

If you're pulling out the pieces for each step and then building the set you ought to be ok, I find sometimes things get missed if you build as you go, especially with the subcomponents or when things get reversed. Maybe there's some arrows your brain is glossing over indicating parts are flipped in the manual?

Probably won't help much with your specific problem, but sorting by type > sorting by color. It's much easier to pick out the correct piece when it's say a rainbow pile of 3-stud axles than a gray pile of 3 & 4 stud axles, if that makes sense

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I would guess that it's the receptionist's desk, Jim/Dwight's desk, and maybe Michael's office. Figures are Pam, Jim, Dwight, Michael. I'd be pleasantly surprised to see more characters, but I feel like that's where they'll cap this set.

I'm not a huge office fan, but I at least hope they'll do a full set of minifigs. I've been on a Guardians of the Galaxy bender lately and have discovered that while it's easy to get most of the main characters, apparently Drax only appeared in one large set, which means if I want all the figs, which is is kind of the whole point of the franchise, that means shelling out 40+ bucks for one stupid minifig. There's even a new Milano ship set still in production, and of course it has a buncha unrelated minifigs and not the one missing character from scratching my ocd. Of all the banal things to get hung up on, this one is endlessly frustrating :argh:

Lego, if you're gonna pander, at least pander in a way I can give you money for cryin out loud

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I expect the set will have the black guy, the gay guy and the fat lady. At that point you need the cat lady, the other black guy, the doofus and Andy. Oh and the Indian girl. And the douche probably don't need the lush or the serial killer.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
:dafuq:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

xzzy posted:

Every lego sticker I've ever applied has clung to the brick with the strength of demons and will survive generations of play.

Earlier today I pulled out a set from childhood (early 80s) that had two stickers crooked as poo poo. I was able to peel them right off and get them straight without any issues thankfully. :shrug:

quote:

goons trying to scalp other goons is the most goony thing I've seen this week.

I don't remember his name but a couple years ago a goon was selling some extra sets and I sent him a PM and all his prices were like 20% above retail so I told him no thanks for that very reason. He got all bent out of shape and called me passive aggerssive lol. Turns out he was one of those that bought every set stores had on sale to hoard them for resale. Leech off someone else.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 15, 2022

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Arbitrage = :thermidor:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

Yeah it was picked as an ideas set about a year ago. Not sure how they’ll make it an interesting build but the minifigures will be nice I guess

Throw out everything but the license and make a Schrute Farms set with goats

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The two Hogwarts GWP (staircase and micro build) are live in Australia, along with the playground ride GWP from earlier in the year.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I don't do stickers and the Tallneck looks perfectly fine without them.

I can do stickers fine using the point of knife but for some reason I never like the look. I dunno, maybe it feels like cheating or something? Without them I find sets to look cleaner, more pure maybe? Like you achieved the look only using bricks.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I have seen at least one company starting to use rub on dry transfers instead of stickers:

The red stripes on the sides, the rest are prints.

A huge improvement for non-play sets, imo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The weird Germany only brick guy. Blue Brixx is literally only one guy, I think? How they got the licence, I’ve no idea.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
He has like 18 stores in Germany. That one guy must be busy.

E: Same number as LEGO. lol

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jul 15, 2022

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

The weird Germany only brick guy. Blue Brixx is literally only one guy, I think? How they got the licence, I’ve no idea.

Iirc Blue Brixx is 2, the single guy is the one who is main distributor for some Chinese brick manufacturer in all of europe or something. The one where Lego tried to force him out of business by having their shady lawyers claim ip breach and had customs lock down an entire container, to make him bankrupt by the accumulating storage charges that he had to pay.
That poo poo was plain evil.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Speaking of Lego shady lawyers, haven't seen this posted here:

https://www.thebrickfan.com/protecting-the-lego-minifigure-trademark/

It seems Lego are now starting to crack down on custom minifigs too. Looks like it's primarily geared towards those containing "third party logos", but it seems they just don't want people to modify the minifigs. I guess this means no more custom minifigs at conventions and such?

Has Disney quietly bought lego at some point without telling anybody?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

ivantod posted:

The aisle at Target is like 2/3 Star Wars, Marvel, Disney nowadays so... a little bit.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

ivantod posted:

:stare:

That would explain so much.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Flyinglemur posted:

I like to keep things fresh so every mistake I made was new! Seriously. It was like a comedy of errors and I didn't make the same mistake twice. At some point my broke brain took over, which is why I decided to let it sit for a while and try again when I think it might be fun again. Probably next week.

Oh ok. The instructions are pretty dense too and don’t always do a good job of calling stuff out. Not sure if I posted this already but this post does a good job of calling out the major errors in the manual.

https://jaysbrickblog.com/news/lego-fixes-some-not-all-errors-in-the-42143-technic-ferrari-daytona-sp3-manual-read-before-you-build/

I hope you do go back to it because it’s a great display piece once finished.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Flyinglemur posted:

I shared the video about a week ago regarding the part I got wrong in the transmission of the Ferrari. In that video I remarked that I had already taken it apart once for putting the planetary gear in on the wrong side of its housing.

The other day I stripped it all the way down to step 1 to start over. Got a part wrong. Stripped it down and started again at step 1. Got a part wrong. Stripped it down to step one for the third time that day and put the boxes up on a shelf. Gonna take a break and start over from step one again in a while.

That was pretty the story with my parents and the classic black supercar set. Both times it got built there was at least one part that got wrong.
So now I think it's just in storage somewhere in the house.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I have never seen an episode of The Office but Lego posted a video of the set and it has 15 figures so that sounds good if you want people from the show

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/lego_group/status/1547932891862011913

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Yep that's just as boring as predicted.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Should have come with a film crew.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Holy poo poo, they actually put 15 minifigs in a licensed set for $120. Between this and the Bad Batch set, did someone at Lego get a concussion or something and wake up different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem