Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

prayer group posted:

A Vitamix is gonna seem like way too much money to spend on a blender but they're built like tanks and will be inherited by your grandchildren.

They are also available refurbished, because tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

prayer group posted:

A Vitamix is gonna seem like way too much money to spend on a blender but they're built like tanks and will be inherited by your grandchildren.

Looking it up. It's for a gift, so I'm willing to spend way more than I usually would want to.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

There's also a lot of cafes and coffee shops going under and you'll see a pile of stuff on craigslist/fb marketplace occasionally for stupid cheap.

Edit: oh lol as a gift. The recipient might not appreciate a used vitamix :v:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

CommonShore posted:

If I want to buy a new blender that's above poo poo tier, and/or buy once cry once, what brands should I be looking for?
Vitamix if you have the money, Ninja if you don't.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SubG posted:

It looks like my budget is right at their overlap. Should i get the cheapest Vitamix or the most expensive Ninja?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

CommonShore posted:

It looks like my budget is right at their overlap. Should i get the cheapest Vitamix or the most expensive Ninja?
Check the feature matrix of both against what you want to do. But all else being equal I'd go with a cheap Vitamix. They don't really make any lovely models, just ones with more or less bells and whistles/convenience features.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I have a brevelle blender that i think is pretty excellent, it blends more smoothly than my parents ninja does

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SubG posted:

Why no recommendation for blendtec? Had mine for years (bought refurbished and it has thousands of uses on it now, it tracks them) and love it. I guess the Vitamix products are quieter or stronger or something? I cannot imagine the ninja being better than the blendtec but maybe it represents more value.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

Why no recommendation for blendtec? Had mine for years (bought refurbished and it has thousands of uses on it now, it tracks them) and love it. I guess the Vitamix products are quieter or stronger or something? I cannot imagine the ninja being better than the blendtec but maybe it represents more value.

I think blendtec is generally regarded as the same level as vitamix, just not as many people have them, and I guess vitamix has the longer track record. But I've only heard good things about them.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Blendtec is fine. I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons in many years (because I have a Vitamix 5200 and so haven't been in the market) but last time I checked I liked the speed control on the Vitamix better, and the Blendtec was easier to fit under a counter.

I think Vitamix is an easier recommendation to make because the refurb units show up on the regular, and they're effectively as good as new.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I’ve used vitamix and blendtec side by side. I’d say the blendtec is inferior to the vitamix for pretty much everything but Ice heavy drinks. The blendtec makes a nicer texture out of ice to drink.

I’d still rank the blendtec over ninja, dunno about the new high end breville either.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Yeah, Ninja makes a solid blender, but they're not in the same league as a Vitamix or Blendtec. But they're your best option if you don't want to spend several hundred dollars, or more, on a blender.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the main ninja blender is pretty solid but i end up using it with the ~20oz cup for protein shakes and stuff more than anything

i just googled how much just the vitamix 'personal cup adapter' costs and: lmao

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Blendtec is more expensive than Vitamix from what I'm seeing available for me.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I went to a Lebanese restaurant for dinner tonight and I am now a human garlic hybrid

I’ve entered the next stage of evolution, you are all like ants to me now

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Scientastic posted:

I went to a Lebanese restaurant for dinner tonight and I am now a human garlic hybrid

Hƿæt ƿe gârlêac etend in gear dagum.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I’m envious. I’ve hardly eaten out since the pandemic.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Holy crap

I stuck these avocados in the fridge three weeks ago when they got ripe

The fridge is magic

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

The fridge is magic
Just wait until you hear about freezers

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

What the actual gently caress

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mystes posted:

Just wait until you hear about freezers

All this time I just assumed they’d spoil fast in the fridge too

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
My basil plants have me humming little shop of horrors tunes to myself.

After some significant pruning, I had myself a pesto party.

I used the sous vide at like 165 to can them so I don't 100% trust the canning but should last forever refrigerated. Each one has a layer of EVOO on top.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Up to you, but you might want to freeze them, partly for quality and partly for safety. 165° isn't enough to kill botulism (I guess theoretically depending on duration, but I've never seen Baldwin tables for that). Usually with fresh herbs/garlic in oil, if it's not acidulated, they say to only fridge it for 3 or 4 days. I would push that, but not to a month.

v absolutely true, those are some gorgeous happy plants

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 17, 2022

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Those basil plants look beautiful. I'm extremely jealous.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bougie mother in law bought us wagyu. Ground beef. For meatballs. For 2 year olds :eyepop:

I did my QA sample tonight after cooking for the party tomorrow and hot drat we didn't need panade

From now on I'm "running out of time to shop for the last few ingredients" every drat time

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Damnit all I forgot to grab the uni and Yamazaki 21. Be a doll?

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Is it just me, or is it a sacrilege to juice a citrus fruit for a meal without also zesting that fruit into the same dish? Maybe 10% of recipes I see say to do that, but it's pretty much SOP for me.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

JoshGuitar posted:

Is it just me, or is it a sacrilege to juice a citrus fruit for a meal without also zesting that fruit into the same dish? Maybe 10% of recipes I see say to do that, but it's pretty much SOP for me.

Sacrilege! Zest and juice taste very different. Plus your adding a lot more citrus flavour by adding the zest

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

JoshGuitar posted:

if you want to not waste the zest, just peel it in big strips with a veg peeler and throw it in straight into a freezer bag. then eventually you make marmalade or whatever when you've got enough

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

therattle posted:

Plus your adding a lot more citrus flavour by adding the zest

That's kinda the point :p. It's like when a recipe calls for X amount of pre-ground nutmeg or cumin and you use the same amount of fresh ground. It tastes stronger AND adds flavors you don't get with the pre-ground, but I'll make no apologies for using it even though it's a night and day difference.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

JoshGuitar posted:

Eh, sometimes you just want the flavour in a smooth liquid without any lumps, I can totally get behind only juicing for some applications

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

JoshGuitar posted:

That's kinda the point :p. It's like when a recipe calls for X amount of pre-ground nutmeg or cumin and you use the same amount of fresh ground. It tastes stronger AND adds flavors you don't get with the pre-ground, but I'll make no apologies for using it even though it's a night and day difference.

You’re entitled to your wrong opinion.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Get a bottle of everclear. Split it evenly across 3 pint jars with 1/3 cup sugar dissolved in each. Every time you need just the juice of a citrus, zest it first and put the zest into the corresponding jar. After 7ish lemons/limes, or 5 oranges, top off most of the way with water and you have delicious limon/lime/orangecello.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
I dunno, I just can't think of a situation where lemon juice is welcome but a few drops of lemon essential oils aren't :shrug:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

When you want it for primarily acid?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Cheese fondue

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

But yeah. There are ton of cases where I add a little lemon juice for brightness, but don’t want it to taste like lemon.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

Get a bottle of everclear. Split it evenly across 3 pint jars with 1/3 cup sugar dissolved in each. Every time you need just the juice of a citrus, zest it first and put the zest into the corresponding jar. After 7ish lemons/limes, or 5 oranges, top off most of the way with water and you have delicious limon/lime/orangecello.
Imagine thinking there are only three citrus fruit.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

SubG posted:

Imagine thinking there are only three citrus fruit.

Sure, there are other citrus, I just don't go through enough of them to justify making a cello out of them. I tried grapefruitcello once, and it was.... Not good.

Please, hit me with some other citrus-focused recipes that I can OD on for a while though. Citrus in general is probably in my top 3 favorite flavors, so more is always, always welcome.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Ding ding ding.

Or A balance of flavours without one really dominating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Doom Rooster posted:

Sure, there are other citrus, I just don't go through enough of them to justify making a cello out of them. I tried grapefruitcello once, and it was.... Not good.

Please, hit me with some other citrus-focused recipes that I can OD on for a while though. Citrus in general is probably in my top 3 favorite flavors, so more is always, always welcome.

I make these about once a year. Use them in a dark and stormy, or a Margarita. They add some serious depth to any cocktail that calls for lime.