Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Waffleman_ posted:

It bugs me that it's pronounced "Ah" Laws and not like the letter

That makes them more like the Titans which is pronounced Tee tans, instead of Tie tans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Then the A-Laws launch an attack on Celestial Being that does nothing just to show off their capabilities, which feels weird with how season 1 was obsessed with information security. The A-Laws showing their entire hand vis a vis the new Innovade use MS. It would be one thing if the show commented on it as a questionable move, or how the A-Laws favor intimidation over long term planning, but it just... happens, wasting a potential killshot to accomplish nothing.

Why would they need to, the battles with Katharon and CB are just pageantry. The A-Laws/Federation have all the political power, and all the technology except the Trans Am and the Twin Drive. I'm not sure what you want them commenting on it for, it's their whole reason for existence. Having someone on screen saying, "I can't believe they're using intimidation tactics" doesn't add anything

It's also pretty heavily implied that Marina was a compromise candidate between the Reform and Conservative factions domestically, and that she would appeal more to the three blocs for resources rather than presenting the wartorn shithole that her country actually was. Her position is more Mineva than Kudelia or Dianna

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 18, 2022

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Waffleman_ posted:

It bugs me that it's pronounced "Ah" Laws and not like the letter

I'm still a tiny bit upset it's not "Arrows" like we thought for a bit in the between-season break, because at least then their logo makes sense.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

Lockon 2 doesn't even fight like his brother. Neil was a dedicated sniper, and left most of the piloting to Haro, while Lyle was almost a total inversion. His piloting was more hands-on and he seems to prefer close to mid-range combat, relying a lot more on his sidearms. Haro is mostly relegated to handling the GN Bits when they get added. He does do some sniping, but that's usually only in Trans-Am where his rifle becomes more of a diet GN Bazooka anyway.

I mean this is true but it also makes it super fuckin' weird his big team scene is doing a snipe.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Why would they need to, the battles with Katharon and CB are just pageantry. The A-Laws/Federation have all the political power, and all the technology except the Trans Am and the Twin Drive. I'm not sure what you want them commenting on it for, it's their whole reason for existence. Having someone on screen saying, "I can't believe they're using intimidation tactics" doesn't add anything

It's also pretty heavily implied that Marina was a compromise candidate between the Reform and Conservative factions domestically, and that she would appeal more to the three blocs for resources rather than presenting the wartorn shithole that her country actually was. Her position is more Mineva than Kudelia or Dianna

They do talk about intimidation tactics, though. They have Sumeragi give a little speech about why the A-Laws attacked. It's just really stupid intimidation tactics, since it shows their hand without presenting an overwhelming advantage.

The stupid death star is an effective weapon of fear, because it can't be reasonably countered by the people who it's used against. The Gadessa, by contrast, is basically another Gundam, and all showing it did was to convince Celestial Being to deploy their new systems a little faster. It also showed off its limits (like how fast it could move, its energy shields, and its weapons) in a context that was basically the best possible for Celestial Being. It's exactly what got called a loss for the first quarter of the show, but no-one even notes the irony, let alone calling it a win.

As for Marina, she's 29 and has been running a country for at least five years. Unlike Mineva, she didn't have a regent making the choices for her, or a body double to take her place. And yet Mineva was an infinitely savvier political operator at 16 than Marina managed at 29. Having competing political factions ready to pounce should have only made her more aware of the intricacies and risks of her position.

As for Lockon II, he's reasonably interesting as a character, even if Karatharon is too goody-two-shoes for his double agent status to make for interesting conflict, but his whole thing is still weird. Especially since he has exactly one scene in season 1.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

chiasaur11 posted:

As for Lockon II, he's reasonably interesting as a character, even if Karatharon is too goody-two-shoes for his double agent status to make for interesting conflict, but his whole thing is still weird. Especially since he has exactly one scene in season 1.

He did?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Pneub posted:

He did?

Yeah he had a (barely) cameo in S1 and in S2 both CB and Katharon handle his blatantly bad double role as "whatever makes you happy bud, just give us the intel".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pneub posted:

He did?

Yep. He shows up when Lockon I visits the family grave.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

chiasaur11 posted:

Yep. He shows up when Lockon I visits the family grave.

There was also a flashback Neil has about his family that clearly shows there were five people present instead of four, but it was easy to miss because they didn't point a flashing light at it

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The spare dylandy replacing Lockon original was something basically everyone called the moment he was revealed as a twin, if I recall.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'm a broken record about this but man does 00 work better if you just ignore the existence of Season 2 and the movie, Season 1 even has a pretty conclusive ending as long as you are willing to ignore a couple relatively minor loose ends and sequel teasings the last episode of that season has

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

I'm a broken record about this but man does 00 work better if you just ignore the existence of Season 2 and the movie, Season 1 even has a pretty conclusive ending as long as you are willing to ignore a couple relatively minor loose ends and sequel teasings the last episode of that season has

This should be the universal opinion. I see people say "00 S2 wasn't so bad" then they immediately concede the undeniable fact that it ruined all the characters and I'm like "why isn't it total garbage that should be ignored again?"

It is SEED Destiny all over again and nothing more.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I haven't watched either since I first watched them around a decade ago so I can't stage some complex defence of them, but I came away from 00 season 2 and the movie happy about the character arcs and overall plot.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
It definitely should’ve been Arrows. I remember early translations going with that and always thought it was much better.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

they're called A-Laws because they enforce The Laws

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Looks like Wing and CCA are going up on Gundaminfo starting on Friday.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I was pretty annoyed at Setsuna's plot arc because it felt like it swapped character growth for GN Particles

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Zedd posted:

Yeah he had a (barely) cameo in S1 and in S2 both CB and Katharon handle his blatantly bad double role as "whatever makes you happy bud, just give us the intel".

Considering CB and Katharon are both on the same side, Lockon II seems to be just a face-saving measure. Who they are trying to save face against is another question entirely, seeing as their enemy is quite happy to paint them both with the same brush.

It would have been more interesting as a plot point if it had been used in S1 to show how the three superpower blocs were collaborating without making it public knowledge so they could ultimately maintain a status quo. Have, I dunno, Billy be a go-between for the UNION and HRE or something. "Yes, we all know the game. Just don't reveal the game publicly and don't let yourself be seen with UNION and HRE scientists in the same room ok? Now go trade this data on the FLAG for data on the Tieren."

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Seemlar posted:

This one is actually true!

They're all true; the reasoning is silly, but they're still technically true. The Strike is never actually called a Gundam (at least, so far as I recall having not seen the show in decades) and it just has a G.U.N.D.A.M. operating system while the F91 is first called a Gundam when someone goes "hey, this looks a bit like one of the old Gundams, so let's call it the Gundam F91". After which everyone calls it that, without anyone, including the original designer, blinking an eye at the name. Which some people take to mean "they're not Gundams", and will argue with a straight face.

chiasaur11 posted:

It is still listed as a 'fifth generation Gundam', so they're not that consistent.

While the 00 Qan[T] is never called the 00 Qan[T] Gundam or Gundam 00 Qan[T] etc. in the movie, characters do refer to it as being a Gundam. It just doesn't have Gundam in the codename. So you get Ian talking about how it's the Gundam Setsuna has been waiting for, people asking what that new Gundam is before being told it's the 00 Qan[T] and so on. Which isn't far removed from what happens with the 00 Raiser, honestly. While no-one in Celestial Being ever directly refers to it as a Gundam, pretty much everyone else outside of Celestial Being that sees or interacts with it calls it a Gundam. So you have Louise, Graham, Ribbons, Sergei and more throughout A-Laws, Katharon and the Innovatas calling it a Gundam; several of them to Setsuna's face, and at no point does he go "Oh no, you're mistaken, this isn't a Gundam".

Additionally, people in Celestial Being do refer to it and other units collectively as Gundams when giving orders or summarizing situations. So Feldt or Sumeragi will refer to launching the Gundams, or how the Gundams are to do X thing, which will include the 00 Raiser. Not "the Gundams and 00 Raiser" have launched etc. So they seem to view it as a Gundam, just one that's not called Gundam 00 Raiser or some variation thereof.

ImpAtom posted:

The setting being more UC like, the Gundams having easier to animate/model designs and Anew all were. Lockon coming back seemed to have been planned since early on though it's never been clear if his role changed at all.

I kind of assume that while Lyle was always planned to appear, that he wasn't planned as a main character and Gundam Meister personally, since he and Setsuna both have an arc that centers on Neil's whole deal of being unable to change; only Setsuna was personally motivated by Neil actually saying to him that he should change because Neil could never really do so, despite the surface appearance of irreverent humor, while Lyle just happens to be able to change and get past his hatred for things in the past. It doesn't even feel like Lyle exists to serve as a resonance of that theme, so much as just "we need something to do with him, so let's do that" because Lyle never really ties his attitude to his brothers or seems to be even aware of his brother's failing from what I recall. The show does tie them together by using flashbacks, but it doesn't seem to be something Lyle knows about.

ImpAtom posted:

I mean this is true but it also makes it super fuckin' weird his big team scene is doing a snipe.

What's even weirder is that during his first proper battle with Celestial Being, his role is to snipe and before he does so, he asks Haro if his brother used to say anything before fighting, then when Haro informs him that Neil used to say "Sniping the targets!", Lyle says that too. Which is just a weird thing to do. Why would he wonder about that in the first place? It's not like it's a common thing to say specific words before fighting, and the scene just intentionally draws parallels when his character has been specifically trying to distance himself from his brother prior to that point with Feldt.

1st Stage Midboss posted:

I haven't watched either since I first watched them around a decade ago so I can't stage some complex defence of them, but I came away from 00 season 2 and the movie happy about the character arcs and overall plot.

I haven't watched the show in 5+ years at this point either, but my memory is that while I found the second season generally weaker than the first that I didn't hate it. It does weaken a lot of characters, but I wouldn't say it destroys any of them and I think Setsuna and Tieria also don't feel like either has a complete arc if you just assume season 1's finale is the end of the story. There's the aforementioned thing of Neil telling Setsuna to change where he couldn't in Setsuna's case, and Tieria never really confronting or coming to terms with his nature. I think both are stronger when taking the full picture into account, rather than just limiting it to season 1.

My general impression is that season 1 is interesting, while season 2 is entertaining. It's not as interesting, but I feel like it has some really fun, stand out moments that mean I don't really mind on the whole that it's not as interesting. Scenes like the Momento Mori battle, the orbital elevator collapse etc. are cool fight moments and you get the occasional emotive moment like Louise having a break down after killing Nena that would be missing as character moments if you discarded season 2 entirely. I quite like the movie too. I absolutely think both could have been done better in a whole host of ways, but I'm okay with acknowledging either regardless.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 18, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The setting being more UC like, the Gundams having easier to animate/model designs and Anew all were. Lockon coming back seemed to have been planned since early on though it's never been clear if his role changed at all.

Did they also ask for the Celestial Being uniforms? That seems like kind of a merch-related decision

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The uniforms might have been an animation thing too, since it'd presumably be a bit faster and easier to draw a consistent uniform on all the main characters than individual outfits.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ribbons is dead, series over.

(Literally the first frame of the preview is Ribbons) gently caress

E: I haaaate that everyone can use Trans-Am now it's just an excuse to sell red versions of all the gunpla!

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 18, 2022

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Didn't expect the ending of IBO to hit me that hard

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Patrick Colasour calling his wife Colonel on their gotdamn wedding day.

E: Please, give me that one more Daybreak's Bell yes

E2: There it is! First season was great, second season started and ended okay but the middle was a big nothing burger. Don't regret watching it, though.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 18, 2022

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

As many problems as 00 S2 and the movie have I still like and enjoy them.

The movie gets a lot of hate especially and it gets pretty samey action-wise but it's kind of meta-level entirely my poo poo. Who knew that alien mimics would mimic violence so well?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm like "why isn't it total garbage that should be ignored again?"
Mister Bushido

Anshu posted:

I'm still a tiny bit upset it's not "Arrows" like we thought for a bit in the between-season break
we all got owned so hard

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

"why isn't it total garbage that should be ignored again?"

The ost owns and it's fun watching evil amuro get owned by a Gundam piloting a mobile suit

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kenji Kawai is probably one of my favorite composers and the reason I stuck with 00 all the way through, even if his work on MP100 is a lot more interesting and his work on Kamen Rider Build probably hits a lot of the same notes as 00's OST but tied with a better show

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I thought the 00 OST was a bit too one-note. They could have used a few more pieces that weren't just AHH AH-AH, AH-AH-AH AHH AH-AH.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gundam needs more Kenny Loggins ripoffs and 80s pop.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You have selected: Stardust Memory

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Darth Walrus posted:

I thought the 00 OST was a bit too one-note. They could have used a few more pieces that weren't just AHH AH-AH, AH-AH-AH AHH AH-AH.

We did get Final Mission: Quantum Burst out of it, which is the most Ah-Ah-Aaaah combination.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's not at all like Top Gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV6hW3fChTc

Not in the slightest.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

It gets better in S2, but yeah that progression is in drat near every track in S1.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Iron Blooded Orphans has accordions on the soundtrack, making it the most powerful of all soundtracks.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Darth Walrus posted:

All the variations on that theme give the OST a pleasing unity, in my opinion.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

Iron Blooded Orphans has accordions on the soundtrack, making it the most powerful of all soundtracks.

Spanish guitar flamenco intensifies!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Iron Blooded Orphans has you covered for Spanish guitars, too. (Even if it's not as flamenco)

Spanish guitars, accordions, an OP that shared an album with the Japanese ED to Mad Max Fury Road... you're in good shape with the Iron Blooded Orphans soundtrack.

Build Fighters and Turn A are also very, very good in the soundtrack department, but the lack of accordions limits their listed power levels.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Props to the original TV show for mixing brass with disco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Arc Hammer posted:

Props to the original TV show for mixing brass with disco.

Plus it had baked-in boss music, mission complete, and menu tracks ready for when video games eventually got music. Trully ahead of it's time.