Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Just hip checking bees out of the way to swab my echinacea with a Qtip. Flicking butterflies off my milkweed to lick the stamens myself. Roaring with fury as ants attempt to climb the peonies I am already perched atop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stranger danger
May 24, 2006
Just to maximize the amount of seed that gets produced. One of the ecologists that I volunteer with mentioned that pollinator populations aren't doing well this year in our area due to the weather in Spring. Also, there's a bunch of plants where I work that send up an inflorescence that makes it super obvious which flowers were pollinated and which weren't, and only like 1/3 of the flowers were pollinated.

I'm going to ask the ecologist next time I see him, but I'm also looking for a small project to do this weekend :v:

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Tomato trellis update: modified low and lean working really well so far. Hopefully it’ll carry them through the season.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

stranger danger posted:

Just to maximize the amount of seed that gets produced. One of the ecologists that I volunteer with mentioned that pollinator populations aren't doing well this year in our area due to the weather in Spring. Also, there's a bunch of plants where I work that send up an inflorescence that makes it super obvious which flowers were pollinated and which weren't, and only like 1/3 of the flowers were pollinated.

I'm going to ask the ecologist next time I see him, but I'm also looking for a small project to do this weekend :v:

Some pollen-bearing plants, tomatoes for one, need vibration, as from a bee, to fertilize. If you're feeling particularly toolsy, grab your electric toothbrush and have at it. Or your Hitachi.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
After all this rain my big booty tomate are burstin!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

everything reminds me of her

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

That's a gorgeous sight. I love Angel Wings!

We got a couple of flushes out of our buckets. Felt good.

Then Gaia decided laugh at our puny efforts and do this in the swamp:

I'm going to take the spent buckets and dump them under the blackberry hedge along with fresh wood chips. They can fight it out with the winecaps already established at one end. The blackberry hedge is going to become an invasive species Thunderdome!

That Old Ganon posted:

They don't get direct light until about 1700, and that lasts until sunset, so what I've been doing is using the grow light at night and turning it off when I get up the next day. The balcony is west-facing and light doesn't start to creep in this way until 1300-ish.

A lot of garden plants are photoperiod sensitive. I wonder if the legginess might be partly due to them trying to bolt to flowering because the 24 hr light is messing with their growth hormones.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'll get right on the grow light correction, thank you, friends!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

stranger danger posted:

Just to maximize the amount of seed that gets produced

Zinc, vitamin D, and citrulline :razz:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
So Bambi got inside my garden AGAIN. I have 8-foot poly fencing around the perimeter. It sags in a couple places, so I was out there tying some rope at the highest spots to make it look even more intimidating.

But as luck would have it, Bambi's friend Thumper clued me into what I think is the actual weakness. I saw him in the garden as I was tying up the rope, which technically shouldn't be possible because of the chicken wire I have on the ground level, but obviously rabbits are wizards. He really quickly made it out of the fence on the opposite side before I could even get over there. That's when my unobservant rear end realized... OH. Bambi ripped down the chicken wire and is going UNDER the poly netting.

I stapled it back up and have now zip-tied it to the poly, so it should be much harder to get through now. I also fiddled with my security camera settings because it's really annoying that my camera has twice now showed a deer in my garden... but never early enough to show me how or where from. Not helpful.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
You should shoot that deer

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Soul Dentist posted:

That's always an option out here. I guarantee Thumper wouldn't make it out alive either.

You could also try getting some eyelet screws and some light gauge braided wire and run it through the squares at the top of the chicken wire and the tip top of the plastic netting. I have to do it with the nylon trellis netting to keep the centers from sagging and it's pretty painless and cheap. Deer will also startle pretty easily until they realize there's no actual threat so hanging old CDs or things that make noise on the fence could run her off for a while as well.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

mischief posted:

That's always an option out here. I guarantee Thumper wouldn't make it out alive either.

You could also try getting some eyelet screws and some light gauge braided wire and run it through the squares at the top of the chicken wire and the tip top of the plastic netting. I have to do it with the nylon trellis netting to keep the centers from sagging and it's pretty painless and cheap. Deer will also startle pretty easily until they realize there's no actual threat so hanging old CDs or things that make noise on the fence could run her off for a while as well.

Yeah I was going to hang some pie pans or something too. I set up a few posts with fishing line tied between them a few feet out from the fence too in the hopes she won't see it and she'll spook.

Soul Dentist posted:

Alas, the county does not smile on this plan. Nor would my wife, I suspect.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I too disobey the county and my wife. I have to surreptitiously pellet gun and trap the squirrels of my neighborhood - which makes getting ripe tomatoes harder - but honestly the extra challenge makes the vegetable gardening more satisfying. Nobody will ever inform the government but my wife is ever vigilant

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
In regards to replacing the peat pots, my roommate has a bunch of these things he never uses. Those containers from takeout places when you get soups/curries etc., could they be a decent replacement if I put holes through the bottom?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

That Old Ganon posted:

In regards to replacing the peat pots, my roommate has a bunch of these things he never uses. Those containers from takeout places when you get soups/curries etc., could they be a decent replacement if I put holes through the bottom?

I use these and cut up milk cartons for germinating seeds, usually goes OK. Go for it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

That Old Ganon posted:

I expect that they have zero UV resistance for food safety and cost reasons so won’t last long, but sure, why not?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

That Old Ganon posted:

W/ nesting cups like that if you're going to transplant later you can cut one cup in half vertically and nest half of it inside another cup to make it easier to extract the root ball later (I do my starts in solo cups that way)

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I keep out deer with a 4’ electric net fence, 30’ of dog yard, then a 3 wire fence to keep the dogs out of my garden. Squirrels will come into the dog yard but haven’t been brave enough yet to go all the way to the garden.

One chicken has started to frequent the garden in the morning and she’s been breaking some of my seedlings but hopefully she will eat the flea beetles that have ravaged my callaloo.

My real trouble is the fire ants. I am trying to stick with spinosad bait in the garden and direct spinosad application on the mounds, but drat those things are prolific! If anyone has some great advice please share.

Also, I’ve been harvesting hornworms for the ducks.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

That Old Ganon posted:

We just have a rolling pile of tofu cartons, take out containers, and other garden/farm related plastic that we press gang into seed starting until they fall apart. Recycle what we can but we're pretty hard on them.

Peat pots are a great idea at a certain scale, I guess. Once you've got a proper sized garden or anything bigger they're just a waste of water in my opinion. We tried the little self watering cell type deals for a few season as well trying to reduce waste on the peat pots and even with the little plastic cells you end up transplanting before you are ready to put them in the ground. Make friends at your local nursery, generally they will be happy to give you pots and stuff. You can get all kinds of neat stuff from a commercial grower. We grow a lot of peppers and other nightshades and starting in a bigger pot makes a huge difference when you can avoid the transplant shock until the plant is established, it's just a question of having the room.

Joburg posted:

My real trouble is the fire ants. I am trying to stick with spinosad bait in the garden and direct spinosad application on the mounds, but drat those things are prolific! If anyone has some great advice please share.

I tried searching the thread but Motronic always has on point advice for killing bugs dead. We zapped a bunch of fire ants nest recently with his recommendation and I cannot remember the chemical. Shoot him a PM, he knows his stuff.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

That Old Ganon posted:

I use a collection of cleaned yogurt/sour cream/sour cream containers. Most food plastics like that are all kind of the same. Use them until they break or you get a fungus on a start, then toss them and replace with whatever you have in your fridge.

For seeds that are super touchy, I even lay (not snap) the lids over the container to increase temps and decrease moisture loss before germination. Of course, I watch them and remove the lid as soon as they germinate, but it helped make the difference in germination rates and times in my current setup.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

So I have this combination raspberry/blackberry bush corner that was here before I was and it was perfect the first year. It was weak the second year but nothing really noticeable. But any plant experts know what this is? It seems to have complexity grown inside the two plants and overgrown them.

You can almost see the berry plants still trying to grow in the bottom middle

I was dumb enough to just assume one of the berry plants was growing big till I noticed it had no thorns. Who is this rude plant. Sorry if the pics are bad my phone is old and all I got.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Box elder? Helps to know where you live so that we can rule plants in/out.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Joburg posted:

Also, I’ve been harvesting hornworms for the ducks.

Holy cow, are you serious? Look at the size of them!

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Holy cow, are you serious? Look at the size of them!

I try to find them on my tomatoes before they get that size, but ...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I plant in a combination of trays (which I reuse) and solo cups for larger plants.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

rojay posted:

I know! I check my tomatoes most days but apparently missed those monsters. They were so big that the ducks had trouble eating them.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

rojay posted:

I had a couple that big last year but the parasitic wasps got to them first so I let them be.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Box elder? Helps to know where you live so that we can rule plants in/out.

Oh whoops sorry. That would help. Central New York,

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Oh whoops sorry. That would help. Central New York,

It really does look like box elder to me (which is found in NY). They have the opposite branch structure, red/green coloration, and compound, serrated, lobed leaves like your picture. They're also fast growers, which would explain how they surprised you like that. Nice trees once they get big. Native too, but common enough that I'd never feel bad about removing one.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Box elders can also attract box elder bugs (surprise, surprise) which are basically harmless, but a nuisance because come late fall they WILL find any crack or hole to get inside tour house to overwinter.

I have a silver maple (another tree they love) and I have to spray for them every year because if I don't, I can't enter my tool shed without them just falling from the doorway all over me.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah a quick google image search seems to confirm that's my guy. I appreciate the help because googling "tall weeds" wasn't helping. Time to figure out how to dig this plant up without destroying the berries inside.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Yeah a quick google image search seems to confirm that's my guy. I appreciate the help because googling "tall weeds" wasn't helping. Time to figure out how to dig this plant up without destroying the berries inside.

Google lens and the Seek app help if you can put in a picture of it. It'll get you into the right area usually. Either way you'll probably want to pull those out before they take over the berry canes. Wear hard sleeves, jeans, and gloves.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

So I have this combination raspberry/blackberry bush corner that was here before I was and it was perfect the first year. It was weak the second year but nothing really noticeable. But any plant experts know what this is? It seems to have complexity grown inside the two plants and overgrown them.

You can almost see the berry plants still trying to grow in the bottom middle

I was dumb enough to just assume one of the berry plants was growing big till I noticed it had no thorns. Who is this rude plant. Sorry if the pics are bad my phone is old and all I got.
If the berries are also bearing fruit but are doing worse, you'll probably have to shear the canes that had fruit on them so new, fruit bearing ones can grow.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
One of my tomato plants has all its leaves curled up like this, but I don't see any sign of pests or otherwise distress. I started it from seed and it's been like this this entire time. It's like 6+ft tall now, and has lots of tomatoes on it, but the leaves are still all curled up. Looking online, it looks like it's usually due to water or heat, but I don't think either of those are issues right now. Are there any other potential causes or should I just not worry about it?

Also, after 3 years, my pineapple grown from a top finally fruited! I covered it with a net to keep the squirrels out. It's only around fist sized right now, but I'm unbelievably excited about this one.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If it were me on the box elder, I'd cut it down to a stub 4" or so above the ground, kill any other sprouts or leaves it pops up, wait until fall when you're pruning, and pull it then.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Box elder? I think you mean Manitoba Maple :smugdog:

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Joburg posted:

I know! I check my tomatoes most days but apparently missed those monsters. They were so big that the ducks had trouble eating them.

A couple years ago I learned if you go out at night with a blacklight flashlight they're really easy to spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Oh sure NOW the cucumbers decide to come up. Whatever. I'm over your poo poo, plants.