Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Lamebot posted:

Regarding Chainsaw Devil's unique powers. I don't think he originally had them, but instead gained them after earning the fear of other devils for his notoriously brutal fights. Their fear of encountering the Chainsaw Devil manifested the power to erase concepts related to them.

Maybe with Doom/Evil Dead/Warhammer 40k people started thinking chainsaws are extra effective on devils, and because of that they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's unclear what made the chainsaw devil so powerful, since there is no intense enduring fear of chainsaws among humans. it's just lumberjacks and horror movie audiences. still, there was some sort of tipping point and then other devils started to fear chainsaws and it grew from there until pochita peaced out.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don’t think there’s any reason to assume Bucky is wat just because they’re both birds. I also just don’t see what it would add. Justice is the one who convinced class rep to trip her and kill Bucky. Even if all that didn’t happen justice was going to help class rep kill Mitaka so it’s not like guilt about Bucky was even a factor at the critical moment. I assume he’s mostly there as a misdirect on the title

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Devils are born from fears so he could have just been born from that. Devils would fear true death more than anything. I don’t know if it really matters if a he started like that or was formed like that. But presumably after each win his powers grew because he took down bigger and bigger devils make all the rest even more scared he’d do it to them

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

chiasaur11 posted:

It's going to have a presentation at the Crunchyroll expo this August, which is supposed to show another trailer. Netflix in Japan said it was releasing in October, but it's not certain.

Oh, cool! I was kind of expecting the answer to be "no clue" especially after I google it and all of the top results were really outdated articles that just said variants on "2022 but no news otherwise" :v:

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Makima kind of tosses off at one point near the end that chainsaw man is made strong by the fear of devils. It’s why she resorts to making him popular in the real world.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm guessing when the whole "if chainsaw man eats you you literally cease to exist" thing went around in Hell it gave more than enough fear gas for the ol' tank

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm just going to assume that fear from devils grants significantly more power than fear from humans.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Fabricated posted:

I'm just going to assume that fear from devils grants significantly more power than fear from humans.

Considering that the plan to make him popular failed, I think that's basically cannon.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Crain posted:

Considering that the plan to make him popular failed, I think that's basically cannon.

I mean, it didn't fail. Chainsaw Man went from being able to solo Makima's entire army without effort to just scoring a mutual kill against Quanxi after being exhausted fighting the rest of the weapons. He's just so strong that even a heavily weakened Chainsaw Man is stronger than almost anyone else.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I am looking forward to Denji fulfilling his contract with the Blood Devil by becoming friends with the blood devil’s next incarnation. I am sure this will be like three years away.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Robviously posted:

Bucking coming back as Pestilence Devil would be a twist though. His guts exploded like that to release the spores inside without anyone knowing the wiser. But even if he doesn't, he was an eggcellent character.

He's obviously going to come back as a poultrygiest

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
Bucky is powerful in Japan because of their traditional fear of yolkai.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Great chapter to get it going again.

Chicken dad joke puns are gold. Like the yolk in jdm eggs

e: fire punch is way too interested in star wars

e2: fire punch was weird y'all, but very much the author. was it all a movie they went to see? who knows I suppose. All i can say is Fujimoto really has a fascination with film.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 18, 2022

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

e: fire punch is way too interested in star wars

Might as well say that Look Back is way too interested in manga. Togata is the main character and everything Agni does is incidental

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

goblin week posted:

Might as well say that Look Back is way too interested in manga. Togata is the main character and everything Agni does is incidental

Except Togata only shows up in, like, chapter ten and dies halfway in.

Fire Punch is a really weird manga, and I think one of the reasons is that Agni doesn't have his own drives for a big portion of the run. He doesn't do things unless prompted, so the story doesn't build up momentum on its own.

Denji, by contrast, always is chasing a goal in an interesting way, so the story flows better.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

A merry Chainsaw man day to all who celebrate

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
A great day for sure, my movie chat group is reviewing Texas chainsaw massacre tonight as well.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’m Eastern Orthodox Chainsaw and our Chainsawman Day is Thursday.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The baddies motivation in firepunch is something that’s done better in chainsaw man with Denji and makima going on a movie date and asking about a world with bad movies

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

The baddies motivation in firepunch is something that’s done better in chainsaw man with Denji and makima going on a movie date and asking about a world with bad movies

That question is maybe my favorite moment in the series. Tells so much through just a kind of silly sounding question.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013778

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
"Nah, I'm Good"

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
I am expecting it to turn out that Denji isn't part of the Devil Hunter club and barely knows it exists

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
There is no way that Denji joined the Devil Hunters club. Litterally zero.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Drashin posted:

I am expecting it to turn out that Denji isn't part of the Devil Hunter club and barely knows it exists
I get the feeling Denji's reappearance is gonna be dangled over us for a while to come

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
mfw encountering the propane and propane accessories devil

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Denji probably isn't even there. The button was from someone in the club probably.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
She could escape the pain, but not the cringe.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Lol People like Kobeni, let’s make a high school version of her and see how it goes.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Just wondering but has Poochitta ever been actually called the Chainsaw Devil? I am pretty sure Mitana only referred to him as Chainsaw Man which probably means whatever fear he represents wasn't specifically chainsaws since even with the evil dead reference I can't see how chainsaws equals erasing stuff from existence by eating them.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Ethiser posted:

Lol People like Kobeni, let’s make a high school version of her and see how it goes.

Yeah, and it rules.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dexo posted:

There is no way that Denji joined the Devil Hunters club. Litterally zero.

is it possible that Nayuta did and he appears there because of her for whatever reason? i don't remember if it's ever specified how much time has passed between Part 1 and Part 2, but maybe she's high school age now and able to conceal her devil side? dunno, i'm just spitballing. kickass chapter as usual.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Lmao how did they even identify the bodies from last week?

I guess the president left behind like four heads...

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Drashin posted:

If Denji is even at the school, which maybe he wanted to go for a bit just to see what it's like, he doesn't go to class and just hangs out stealing food from the cafeteria and loving around with the delinquents.

Drashin posted:

Just wondering but has Poochitta ever been actually called the Chainsaw Devil? I am pretty sure Mitana only referred to him as Chainsaw Man which probably means whatever fear he represents wasn't specifically chainsaws since even with the evil dead reference I can't see how chainsaws equals erasing stuff from existence by eating them.

Current theory is that other devils just imagined that power into existence as he kept kicking their buts so hard they were embarrassed to be seen ever again.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Ethiser posted:

I don't think she has much in common with Kobeni. They're both anxious wrecks, but Kobeni's problem was a controlling family that exploited her for every penny she was worth; Mikata's is her own skewed perspective of the world (and, having killed Clucky, the enmity of her class).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eggplant Squire posted:

Lmao how did they even identify the bodies from last week?

I guess the president left behind like four heads...

I feel like in the world of Chainsaw Man you have to be really good at identifying bodies from horrorgore

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Drashin posted:

It's going to be this.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

symbolic posted:

is it possible that Nayuta did and he appears there because of her for whatever reason? i don't remember if it's ever specified how much time has passed between Part 1 and Part 2, but maybe she's high school age now and able to conceal her devil side? dunno, i'm just spitballing. kickass chapter as usual.

There can't be too much time passing between chapters because Denji turned 17 at the end of the first part so there's a limited amount of time he could be in school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Looks like she’s a special kind of fiend then.
By the way, the new guy is Yoshida, the devil Hunter who uses the Octopus devil. Presumably he’s undercover for some reason.