Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

white tower full of Aes Sedai with the ageless NPC face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

The paint pool scene

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1546577583608721408?s=20&t=Lr5CluqbBJ34xuA-60wdyQ

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Hexel posted:

But he does a lot of it therefore the normies think he's the greatest author of this generation.

Imagine throwing stones at other fantasy readers in the Wheel of Time thread come on dude try to not live up to the stereotypes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I like the wheel of time

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Wheel of time owns, it's good and horny.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

How are u posted:

Wheel of time owns, it's good and horny.

It is, however, not Gorny, and for that I am thankful

Am I talking about Gor or Gorn idk does it really matter

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
The tylin mat rape scene continues to suck. As do the wonder girl's reactions

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

socialsecurity posted:

Imagine throwing stones at other fantasy readers in the Wheel of Time thread come on dude try to not live up to the stereotypes.

While you were reading Sanderson and Eddings I studied the heron blade.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

As my re-listen rolls through A Crown of Swords, I'm realizing that Jordan not only has main characters take books off so he has fewer perspectives to manage, he also uses the gaps to reset characters to where he wants them to be going forward. Rand skips almost all of The Dragon Reborn and by the time The Shadow Rising starts, he's a much different character, a functional leader in fact. Perrin skips The Fires of Heaven and shows up in Lord of Chaos also a functional leader, and one not at all scared to use Wolf Powers on demand. And then Egwene skips Lord of Chaos and pops up in A Crown of Swords a full fledged believer in Ji'e'toh, oh and suddenly ready and willing to lead the rebel Aes Sedai. The only one who gets a gradual transition into leadership is Mat throughout The Shadow Rising. Everyone else just skips a book to level up and shows up later with ranks in Car'a'carn/Noble/Amyrlin!

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 12, 2022

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Rand is already that leader by the end of TGH? His arc in TGH is that transition? Perrin also is having his becoming a leader arc in TSR? Egwene doesn't only not skip LOC, she is in fact the second most common POV after Rand, owning nearly one sixth of the book's total word count???

e: Winter's Heart is the one Egwene skips, apparently.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 12, 2022

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

jng2058 posted:

As my re-listen rolls through A Crown of Swords, I'm realizing that Jordan not only has main characters take books off so he has fewer perspectives to manage, he also uses the gaps to reset characters to where he wants them to be going forward. Rand skips almost all of The Dragon Reborn and by the time The Shadow Rising starts, he's a much different character, a functional leader in fact. Perrin skips The Fires of Heaven and shows up in Lord of Chaos also a functional leader, and one not at all scared to use Wolf Powers on demand. And then Egwene skips Lord of Chaos and pops up in A Crown of Swords a full fledged believer in Ji'e'toh, oh and suddenly ready and willing to lead the rebel Aes Sedai. The only one who gets a gradual transition into leadership is Mat throughout The Shadow Rising. Everyone else just skips a book to level up and shows up later with ranks in Car'a'carn/Noble/Amyrlin!

Rand realizes that he has to lead men at the climax of The Great Hunt, hides from that responsibility during the start of The Dragon Reborn because he isn't quite ready to accept it and then has leadership thrust on him at the beginning of The Shadow Rising because holding Callandor made him leader of Tear, regardless of his wishes. At which point he starts taking lessons from Elayne right from the jump, while Moiraine continues trying to teach him. He also takes lessons from Rhuarc and a few other Aiel chiefs throughout the book. A rank in leadership isn't really added to him at any point, he's just forced to accept it by circumstance on multiple fronts and then starts learning from others when he sees he can't escape that responsibility any longer.

Perrin is similar, and the climax of The Dragon Reborn is him accepting his nature in order to save Faile, even if he doesn't truly embrace it until...Knife of Dreams? Maybe The Gathering Storm? After finishing off the Shaido encampment at Malden anyway, whichever book that is. Regardless, he makes peace with the fact he is a wolfbrother in order to save Faile, even if he's not ready to really pursue every aspect of it yet. Then during The Shadow Rising he starts learning to become a leader, even if, again, he doesn't embrace that role until after Malden. There's that scene of him giving a speech to some of the homesteaders while travelling through The Two Rivers to go rescue Master Luhhan as the perhaps the primary example, with Verin commenting that even though they had been prepared to bed down for the long haul on Luc's word before he arrived that a simple speech from him made them decide to up sticks for Emond's Field and the safety of numbers. He puts it down to common sense, her to his being ta'veren but his leading men to go rescue the Luhhans because he can't do it alone, then transitioning into leading the defense of Emond's Field is the start of that entire journey.

As for Egwene, Rand at the very least thinks about how Egwene fully immerses herself in and embraces anything she's learning and I'm pretty sure Perrin and Nynaeve think it too, at times. Egwene also has chapters where she finds herself surprised by how Aiel her attitude is becoming, noticing two men fighting in the street and giving out to them for not doing so "honorably" while in Cairhien during, I think, A Crown of Swords for instance. Which is building on her accepting Aiel life in The Shadow Rising and The Fires of Heaven; where she spends months living with the Wise Ones and trying to live as an Aiel trainee with sweat baths, wearing Wise One garments, taking Aiel punishments etc. When she does go to Salidar, she's shocked at what happens and initially thinks it must be a joke. She wants to lead once she accepts it's real, and has some preparation to do so after it happens due to her experiences chasing the Black Ajah, training with the Wise Ones and learning from Moiraine while with Rand etc. but she also has to take Suian's counsel in order to learn how to do so, even if she's happy to accept the idea of doing it immediately.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 12, 2022

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Dead Aiel cage guy was a live actor :psyduck:

Dude made an IG post about it:

“I was murdered by cowards!”

Atleast the character i performed in show @thewheeloftime was.
Swipe right to see the whole scene. 📹
Two things are sure - playing a dead body is not as easy as it looks and me being ginger does not work at all.
Fun fact: i had my own driver and personal caravan for one day.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cf6zym5syI7/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

tsob posted:

Egwene also has chapters where she finds herself surprised by how Aiel her attitude is becoming, noticing two men fighting in the street and giving out to them for not doing so "honorably" while in Cairhien during, I think, A Crown of Swords for instance.

It more stark than that. She sees several men beating up one guy and scolds them for going at him all at once instead of letting him fight them each one at a time. This isn't contrary to your point at all, I just wanted to mention it because the scene is pretty funny. She doesn't realize how far out it is until after she's done.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Judkins, Lan and a couple producers are gonna be at SDCC. The panel is just the animated shorts but hopefully they tease out some season 2 news. And hopefully it’s livestreamed.

https://twitter.com/thewheeloftime/status/1549509241471307778?s=21&t=0d9--smy_tLI-OcU9fTvwA

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

New cast member in an unknown role. Dude is tall as gently caress and has action experience.

https://twitter.com/wottvseries/status/1549807417692749825?s=21&t=yExEtTB6YA7i6foiRTnj8Q

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hi Rahvin

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I was thinking High Lord Turak, or has he already been cast?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ooh, good call

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I can perfectly imagine "where did you find that blade, boy"

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Khizan posted:

I was thinking High Lord Turak, or has he already been cast?

Daniel Francis is Turak

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2467041/

https://www.wotseries.com/2022/05/18/scoop-two-seanchan-are-cast-more-cast-speculation/

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Hexel posted:

New cast member in an unknown role. Dude is tall as gently caress and has action experience.

Bael

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I imagine they'll want to keep all the Aiel within a certain look, since they have somewhat of a monoculture during the books. The first season set them as red-haired White people, even if not almost universally unusually tall, so they'll probably make them all White with red or blonde hair to contrast the various Aiel clans and how similar they are culturally etc. to the diversity of Randland. The Seanchan nation occupies an entire continent that's bigger than Randland, the Aiel Waste and Shara put together, and seems to cover all ethnicities (along with a variety of clothing, accents, social strata etc. even if they all share one culture) within it since we get descriptions of people that have really pasty skin and people that are very dark of skin; Selucia and Tuon being prominent examples of people who are both from Seanchan but look completely different since they're probably two of the more prominent Seanchan characters and always hanging out together.

If it's not Turak though, then Rahvin does seem like a good possibility. When does Rahvin first appear? The Dragon Reborn? If season one mixed elements of the first two or three books, it doesn't seem impossible that the second could mix in more of the third or even fourth book, and have Rahvin and a few other Forsaken play a minor role in order to start building them up. Rahvin is both dark of skin and even taller than Rand in the books, so having a tall Black guy cast does seem like it could be Rahvin, even if Rand isn't unusually tall as in the books.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

^ ^ ^ You know they cast a black lady as Aviendha, right? Light-skinned, sure, but her hair is indication enough they're not really aiming for an ethnic monoculture look for the Aiel ^ ^ ^

Hexel posted:

Dead Aiel cage guy was a live actor :psyduck:

Did you think they used a dead actor? :psyduck:

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 21, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

St0rmD posted:

^ ^ ^ You know they cast a black lady as Aviendha, right? Light-skinned, sure, but her hair is indication enough they're not really aiming for an ethnic monoculture look for the Aiel ^ ^ ^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UKPMY1LnYU

e: lol the last half minute ages like milk

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 21, 2022

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Just got to egwene being so super amazing at politics that she's now seized emergency war powers lol.
Someone mentioned a tuon/egwene parallel and its right

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

RC Cola posted:

Just got to egwene being so super amazing at politics that she's now seized emergency war powers lol.
Someone mentioned a tuon/egwene parallel and its right

Oh very much so. There's a reason why the two of them have a really, really tense negotiation scene near the end. Most powerful leaders whose organizations will survive the last battle.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

St0rmD posted:

I thought movies and TV utilized prosthetic dummies for corpses. I have since learned that full body silicone dummies can be really expensive and it's actually cheaper to pay a person to play dead.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Hexel posted:

I thought movies and TV utilized prosthetic dummies for corpses. I have since learned that full body silicone dummies can be really expensive and it's actually cheaper to pay a person to play dead.

lol i don't know the first thing about film / tv production and it still seems patently obvious that telling an actor "hold your breath and don't move a muscle for 15 seconds" is way easier and cheaper than any other option.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

St0rmD posted:

I did not, but stand corrected regardless. I'd still expect Rahvin to appear before Bael, who doesn't appear till Rand enters the Waste in The Shadow Rising, yeah?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

tsob posted:

If it's not Turak though, then Rahvin does seem like a good possibility. When does Rahvin first appear? The Dragon Reborn? If season one mixed elements of the first two or three books, it doesn't seem impossible that the second could mix in more of the third or even fourth book, and have Rahvin and a few other Forsaken play a minor role in order to start building them up. Rahvin is both dark of skin and even taller than Rand in the books, so having a tall Black guy cast does seem like it could be Rahvin, even if Rand isn't unusually tall as in the books.

I'm pretty sure Rahvin's first appearance is when Mat goes to Caemlyn. It would be easy as pie to switch things around a little - Egwene and Gawyn discussing their mother's new lover, then cut to them and see it firsthand?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm pretty sure Rahvin's first appearance is when Mat goes to Caemlyn. It would be easy as pie to switch things around a little - Egwene and Gawyn discussing their mother's new lover, then cut to them and see it firsthand?

The Wikia says he shows up briefly in The Dragon Reborn during one of Perrin's wolf-dreams, arguing with Be'lal and Ishamael. Tel'aran'rhiod is the kind of thing you can use to introduce a lot of things early without huge changes to the plot, now that I'm thinking about it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Those dreams are a great way of introducing Big Bads, yeah. Rather than some convoluted reason to overhear things.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

The role is recurring so showing up more than once or periodically.

He’s jacked and most of his showreel is physical and combat poo poo. Rahvin? I doubt it. Who knows :shrug:

https://vimeo.com/14305288

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FURYK KAREDE

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I love his chasing after "general merrilin" sequence so loving much

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

His name loving owns too

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

tsob posted:

I did not, but stand corrected regardless. I'd still expect Rahvin to appear before Bael, who doesn't appear till Rand enters the Waste in The Shadow Rising, yeah?

Edit I just mixed up Be'lal and Bael.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 21, 2022

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

His name loving owns too

The audiobook helps a lot with that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

silvergoose posted:

The audiobook helps a lot with that too.

How is his name pronounced? None of the online articles I looked up showed a pronunciation guide, and I don't think I ever looked in a book to see if his name had any. I normally just pronounced it like "Freak" I think, but looking at it now it seems "Phe-oor-eke" might be a better pronunciation.