Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
RightStuf had the manga half off last week (maybe still?) so I grabbed 3-11 since I already had 1 and 2.

Supposed to be delivered in like the next hour, nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

private devil hunters are th e guys who have a contract with the nice gated communities and rich neighborhoods to shoo the silverfish devil off when it shows up, its probably insanely better working conditions but also you're 100% not making a difference at all. public safety you're probably gettin killed by the crumbling teeth nightmare devil before you make a difference but at least you might save a life or two before you beef it

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also th e private sector guys just call in public safety if a big enough devil shows up so its kind of a win win for them. theres no way they're gonna stand and fight the heart attack devil but luckily it's big enough and scary enough that public safety has to act so they can just go take a nap and wait for it to go away

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fungah! posted:

private devil hunters are th e guys who have a contract with the nice gated communities and rich neighborhoods to shoo the silverfish devil off when it shows up, its probably insanely better working conditions but also you're 100% not making a difference at all. public safety you're probably gettin killed by the crumbling teeth nightmare devil before you make a difference but at least you might save a life or two before you beef it

We see private Devil Hunters pretty often. They do the same work as Public Safety, since there's government bounties on Devils. (also, they get killed by the dozen in the light novel, but it felt a bit off tone in how they died by the dozen... but that's another conversation.)

The main difference is they get to choose their work, so if Bat is rampaging downtown, and they don't feel up to it, they can just leave the job to someone else, while government hunters get sent in no matter if they want to be involved.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

...there's an LN?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

the light novel

do go on

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

symbolic posted:

...there's an LN?

ya, fujimoto didn't write it but he did some illustrations for it i guess. apparently it's called csm: buddy stories, but i don't think there's a tl for it by anyone yet

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It gave us the great power illustrations

The trip we never got to go on :negative:

and a love triangle with Quanxi Kishibe and some girl

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Denji mentions at the very beginning of the series that he gets 300,000 yen per kill (as freelance/private) which is a couple grand USD. Also early on it seems like there are a lot of weak devils that still need to be killed so you could probably make a good living just killing one a week.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hace posted:

ya, fujimoto didn't write it but he did some illustrations for it i guess. apparently it's called csm: buddy stories, but i don't think there's a tl for it by anyone yet

There's a machine translation for two and a half of the four stories, which is how I read the Detective Power one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Arzaac posted:

Yeah I have to imagine it's because Devils are a real and present threat and a strong devil can kill thousands or millions of people. Probably nobody bats an eye at "hey these kids are running out there and getting shredded by devils" because they might hopefully get a real devil hunter or two out of the club.

devils never go away no matter what anyone does. killing them only drives them away temporarily, and it doesn't seem like they have any trouble getting to earth. so i'd imagine that a world where some devil popping up at random and killing people has always been a problem cheapens life a bit.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

devils never go away no matter what anyone does. killing them only drives them away temporarily, and it doesn't seem like they have any trouble getting to earth. so i'd imagine that a world where some devil popping up at random and killing people has always been a problem cheapens life a bit.

Yeah but they need to die in hell to come back to earth (or ask the Hell Devil) and from Makima don't really seem to be the same person when they reincarnate so presumably powerful devils would take a while to come back through earthside unless they had a really big grudge or something.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ya exactly, it's also why stuff like Darkness hasn't manifested on Earth. It's too strong to be killed. Which is why I wonder if Death was fought by chainsaw in hell. Though with alternate endings to life other than death it might be that death only became super strong after Chainsaw at the others.

Makima presumably was killed much easier in Hell because Darkness hates her and she would be much weaker when she first manifests after a death based on how her power works.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
individual devils take some time to cycle back through. but as an aggregate there are always devils on earth and they never go away. no one cares if it is the papercut or the hangnail devil when they are killing people, much less if the previous iteration of that particular devil loved to sing.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

so what would happen if Chainsaw Man ate the Devil Devil? :thunk:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dumb question but was up with all the people coming back to fight CSM for Makima towards the end, I know she obviously can mind control people but the other times its shown it doesn't seem like the person has any sort of free will or personality when following her orders but they all seemed normal and lucid but that clearly can't be the case since Reze and Quanxi would never in a million years willingly be so chummy with her.

I guess the obvious answer is that it's still just mind control but Fujimoto wanted to make the scene more interesting, which is fine by me but I wasn't sure if missed something.

Also the line about them having their names erased but still existing for some reason I'm not terribly sure I understood why that happened either.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Dumb question but was up with all the people coming back to fight CSM for Makima towards the end, I know she obviously can mind control people but the other times its shown it doesn't seem like the person has any sort of free will or personality when following her orders but they all seemed normal and lucid but that clearly can't be the case since Reze and Quanxi would never in a million years willingly be so chummy with her.

I guess the obvious answer is that it's still just mind control but Fujimoto wanted to make the scene more interesting, which is fine by me but I wasn't sure if missed something.

Also the line about them having their names erased but still existing for some reason I'm not terribly sure I understood why that happened either.

I think you’re right it’s because it gives the scene texture on the former. Also I guess shows makima is pretty deft with her control. We’ve also seen Aki act and behave normally but clearly has a “you love makima” line of control. Similar with Angel and his memories.

For the latter it’s still a mystery as Makima said even she doesn’t know why. Maybe because Chainsaw himself is one

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I think you’re right it’s because it gives the scene texture on the former. Also I guess shows makima is pretty deft with her control. We’ve also seen Aki act and behave normally but clearly has a “you love makima” line of control. Similar with Angel and his memories.

For the latter it’s still a mystery as Makima said even she doesn’t know why. Maybe because Chainsaw himself is one

Yeah, Makima's mind control can be blatant, but it can also be pretty subtle. Angel and Aki were under her thumb for the whole series, but they barely showed it.

When combined with her ultimate motive, as said by Pochita, it seems like Makima prefers the soft touch, all being equal. Better to be able to at least pretend to have peers when going out drinking, even if you know you can turn them into puppets on a whim.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Person Dyslexic posted:

I'd think strong contenders for primal devils would be things like Loss, Cold, Hunger, Pain...but there are really an endless number of potential concepts to choose from. Abandonment? Old Age? Excited to see where it goes!
Suffocation Devil would be the strongest one

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

A lot of Makimas control (as well as the routine with the blindfolds) was to keep her true nature and identity a secret. It was much easier to get various government officials to be on her side when she pretends she has a pact with an unknown devil.

She wanted the people she controls to be unaware of the control. That way she could subtly enter them into pacts and make her victims think the pact was their idea. She only really went full mask off when the Gun came back so she could finally cash in on all her manipulation.

God drat I love chainsaw man

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Power....

:negative:

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

re-reading chainsaw man now and it was pretty weird that yoshida turns up out of nowhere to go toe to toe with quanxi. I wonder what his deal is.

also, I wonder, what is up with devils human form? Have they all "possessed" someone, like war? Do we know what the distinction between a "possessed" human/devil and a fiend is? Did conquest just get to decide she looked like makima?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

bitmap posted:

re-reading chainsaw man now and it was pretty weird that yoshida turns up out of nowhere to go toe to toe with quanxi. I wonder what his deal is.

also, I wonder, what is up with devils human form? Have they all "possessed" someone, like war? Do we know what the distinction between a "possessed" human/devil and a fiend is? Did conquest just get to decide she looked like makima?

it’s said somewhere that devils who are “closer” or more sympathetic to humanity have more humanoid forms (I think when Angel is introduced). that’s conquest’s actual shape, minus the viscera halo

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it's also the case that the more human a fiend looks, the less hostile they are to humans

we don't really know what war's deal is yet - could just be a straight-up fiend, some variation on a hybrid, or something else we haven't heard of yet

yoshida was just a private hunter hired by makima but it seems like she just wanted at least one of the hires for that mission to be top tier

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

lih posted:

it's also the case that the more human a fiend looks, the less hostile they are to humans

we don't really know what war's deal is yet - could just be a straight-up fiend, some variation on a hybrid, or something else we haven't heard of yet

yoshida was just a private hunter hired by makima but it seems like she just wanted at least one of the hires for that mission to be top tier

I think War is just a fiend that left the brain intact, I guess high tier devils can choose to do that. Hybrids seem to be all about the heart, the brain doesn't matter.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

War’s possession is probably closest to the Future Devil living in Aki’s eye.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

RatHat posted:

I think War is just a fiend that left the brain intact, I guess high tier devils can choose to do that.

yeah this seems likely with what we know at the moment but it isn't firmly established and there's plenty of room for it to be something else still. i'm curious what the deal is with her scars & split-personality is too - do others actually see the scars appear/disappear or is that just to communicate to the reader?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Violence fiend also had a bunch of his own human brain left which is why he was so chill.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/gallery/w7pa1t

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Haha I just saw that too. What an ending.

Cumdog Millionaire
Jul 21, 2022

Whoever told you not to kink shame had a shameful kink.

EmmyOk posted:

It gave us the great power illustrations

Do you think we will ever see power again? 'Not the power we know but the blood devil is down in hell waiting for a story arch. I really liked that character. Ofc the writers would kill her off in the most brutal fashion, lol.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Cumdog Millionaire posted:

Do you think we will ever see power again? 'Not the power we know but the blood devil is down in hell waiting for a story arch. I really liked that character. Ofc the writers would kill her off in the most brutal fashion, lol.

Probably. The promise to go find the blood devil was a contract, so it's something Denji must do.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

lih posted:

In a narrative sense, he also shows that random Devil Hunters aren't all fodder, even though most of the ones we meet are. His talent (and his comment on how he's third rate) shows that there's badasses outside of the core cast. They just mostly are doing their own thing away from the main narrative.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Every competent Devil Hunter who wasn't already stuck under her command probably stayed as far away from Makima and her schemes as possible. Considering the track record and average lifespan of Devil Hunters working for her, it would be just common sense.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013728

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So much buildup. At the edge of my seat waiting for the shoe to drop!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

yuko's death is really going to gently caress me up

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Yuko is 100% gonna die

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

much more of a casual chapter than i anticipated, which means the wait for the next is going to be even worse

goblin week posted:

Yuko is 100% gonna die

:smith: