Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I just got this from a frigate mission using the Leviathan.

I was wondering how to get living frigates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the one thing i really wish they'd do is make a scanner upgrade that points you in a direction that will then spawn a creature you've yet to scan. i really like finding a nice, varied solar system with lots of life and resources and setting up shop there, but it fuckin sucks spending two hours combing caves or swimming around looking for that one last creature.

you could argue that's a silly thing to get hung up on with the game being functionally infinite in size, but with them putting so much effort into base building and colonies, that's the sort of thing i'd kinda like to do and i'd like to make a system my nice little getaway, complete with at least a full list of animal species.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Does it have HOTAS support yet?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Just checked on my freighter base after the update and it's pretty hosed, I'm going to have to reset it and rebuild it which sucks because I liked how I had it before.
Where will all the salvaged building materials end up? will I get them back?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah, they'll just go back in your inventory. I think if you don't have space then they're retrievable from a Base Salvage Console.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

With all of these upgrades for freighters, any word yet on if they've fixed the Salvaged Fleet Beacon upgrade so it actually effects the frigate mission time now?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the one thing i really wish they'd do is make a scanner upgrade that points you in a direction that will then spawn a creature you've yet to scan. i really like finding a nice, varied solar system with lots of life and resources and setting up shop there, but it fuckin sucks spending two hours combing caves or swimming around looking for that one last creature.

you could argue that's a silly thing to get hung up on with the game being functionally infinite in size, but with them putting so much effort into base building and colonies, that's the sort of thing i'd kinda like to do and i'd like to make a system my nice little getaway, complete with at least a full list of animal species.

this is why I never attempt to try to full scan planets tbh, at least with creatures you can get a hint of "is it only at night, is it rare, is it underground", good luck trying to find the last variation of rock you haven't found already though

Ghostlight posted:

Yeah, they'll just go back in your inventory. I think if you don't have space then they're retrievable from a Base Salvage Console.

The game explicitly warns you that reseting the freighter base will not do this, when I did it; I don't know if the warning was correct or not

Stare-Out posted:

I just use the photon cannon. :effort: Fully upgraded it'll wreck shields and take out a ship in a couple of seconds.

The positron is explicitly goat because any mission or situations where multiple things warp in you can just pre-pepper their arrival point and evaporate several or all of them at once

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The game explicitly warns you that reseting the freighter base will not do this, when I did it; I don't know if the warning was correct or not

I haven't tried it myself, but this is what I've heard as well. Instead of just resetting the freighter base, you just need to enter the build camera and delete, delete, delete. It honestly shouldn't take too long once you get going.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Oh, I didn't know there was a straight reset option.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MrGreenShirt posted:

With all of these upgrades for freighters, any word yet on if they've fixed the Salvaged Fleet Beacon upgrade so it actually effects the frigate mission time now?

lmao son of a bitch, I didn't even realize this was a thing and had 6 of my slots wasted with this

it does not appear to have any effect, checking both "the preview time" and "the time reported when you check in with the fleet", I'd have to sit down with an alarm clock and a shortish mission to test if it makes the timer just tick down faster in the background or something

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CaptainSkinny posted:

I haven't tried it myself, but this is what I've heard as well. Instead of just resetting the freighter base, you just need to enter the build camera and delete, delete, delete. It honestly shouldn't take too long once you get going.

Yeah to be fair now that you can just stick a door and fly up to the roof for a better view you can probably do it quickish; I just grabbed the handful of Weird Material Requirements stuff I had and let the rest get scrapped myself

I'm a little sad that "reset" doesn't mean "reset to the freighter's base seed" though; I kind of wanted to see what the NPC-provided layout would have looked like

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I'm a little sad that "reset" doesn't mean "reset to the freighter's base seed" though; I kind of wanted to see what the NPC-provided layout would have looked like

Just go check out the interior of the next one you save from pirates. It's better looking now.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Ok, the reset button doesn't give you the materials back, it gives you piles of stuff like cogs to sell like when you scrap a ship. Nothing shows up in a base salvage console either. It does warn you that you will get nothing back but I did it anyway because my base was really messed up with ladders now leading to voids and huge parts of it inaccessible so dismantling would've been hard.
At least I have a huge pile of stashed resources in my storage containers and plenty of mines to refresh stocks, so it's not so bad really
just need to come up with a redesign I like though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

CaptainSkinny posted:

I just got this from a frigate mission using the Leviathan.

I was wondering how to get living frigates.

Frigates need units to hire. What do living frigates need? Thousands of critter pellets?

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I tried messing around with building in my freighter last night and it was super buggy. Rooms I built kept disappearing - sometimes they'd just be gone as if I'd never built them, sometimes the door into the room would still exist but the room itself would be gone and I could jump through the doorway out into space. Also some kinda large object spawned directly in the center of my bridge, keeping me from getting to the fleet management computers and stuff in that center circle part of the bridge. I guess I should have followed my usual rule of not playing the new expansion until a couple weeks of fixes have come out..

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

DO IT TO IT posted:

Also some kinda large object spawned directly in the center of my bridge, keeping me from getting to the fleet management computers and stuff in that center circle part of the bridge.

That may have been an asteroid, and that's been happening for a while

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Yay, more twitch drops! These are really useful for those expeditions.

How do I get freighter salvage modules fast? I wish that dupe bug still existed because I have 0.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Vasler posted:

How do I get freighter salvage modules fast? I wish that dupe bug still existed because I have 0.

I dunno about fast but you get 2 per Derelict Freighter mission and those are trivial once you have enough cold protection.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

The random freighters that spawn in each system have pods attached to them filled with gold, chromatic metals, and the like, as well as salvaged frigate modules. Moving your cursor over them will show you their content in advance. Shooting the pods that float nearby these freighters will lower that species favorability and raise your wanted level, but shooting the ones attached to the freighter itself will only raise your wanted level.

Also they respawn after a quickload, so go nuts.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I dunno about fast but you get 2 per Derelict Freighter mission and those are trivial once you have enough cold protection.

I do wish there was more variety and danger with those missions. I kept thinking I was hearing a huge gently caress-off boss monster stomping around on a different floor, but no; it's the pulsing of the horrendous horror or whatever it's called. The bug sack, right in front of me.

I want more things to have to shoot, but not necessarily the obligation to fight them. I was talking about this with someone else I play with who's really in for the exploration and building, and I definitely get that combat isn't for everyone. So, the current balance is good (you don't really ever HAVE to fight anything, and I think that's great), but for those who are into shooting poo poo, I'd love more varied poo poo to shoot. :clint:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

fastest way to get frigate modules without cheating is to find a very easy derelict freighter with simple layout and no security on the NMS coordinates exchange subreddit and repeat it

you can put the emergency receiver inside your personal refiner so you don't lose it after use

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I do wish there was more variety and danger with those missions. I kept thinking I was hearing a huge gently caress-off boss monster stomping around on a different floor, but no; it's the pulsing of the horrendous horror or whatever it's called. The bug sack, right in front of me.

Derelict missions are so crap. The madlibs-style plot generator wasn't complete nonsense. None of the spoooooooky logs really match up to each other and have no bearing on whatever gribblies are in the ship. There's no tension once you realise that nothing will hunt you, and the closest you'll get to a jump-scare is when you forget to kill one enemy who then shoots you from range.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Derelict missions are so crap. The madlibs-style plot generator wasn't complete nonsense. None of the spoooooooky logs really match up to each other and have no bearing on whatever gribblies are in the ship. There's no tension once you realise that nothing will hunt you, and the closest you'll get to a jump-scare is when you forget to kill one enemy who then shoots you from range.

That's what I'm saying; more varied, and far more dangerous derelict freighter missions, but keep them in those missions, so you don't have to do them.

I need more excuses to use my scatter blaster, really.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's really hard to find a stream I like this time. Ah well eventually I'll just toss one on in the background I guess.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just use the Twitch Drops Miner and save yourself the headache. It's so much easier this way.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

explosivo posted:

Just use the Twitch Drops Miner and save yourself the headache. It's so much easier this way.

Holy poo poo. I didn't know this existed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

explosivo posted:

drat, I wish there was a mobile version.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I haven't tried it myself, but there's also mod that

quote:

LETS YOU BUY ANYTHING, EVERYTHING* IN THE QUICKSILVER SHOP
*Not actually everything, just things that are already in the Quicksilver shop, most Twitch rewards and most Expedition rewards
https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/2062?tab=description

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

doctorfrog posted:

I haven't tried it myself, but there's also mod that

https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/2062?tab=description

Oh for that I just use a save editor and give myself a ridiculous amount of Quicksilver.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Can this save editor give me freighter modules? If so, where can I find it?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

this game is really loving cool sometimes lol

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I've been sending out fleets for every mission available since the update and nothing's brought back whatever that living-frigate-luring thing is supposed to be :negative:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

Oh for that I just use a save editor and give myself a ridiculous amount of Quicksilver.

oh man i think im gonna buy it on steam and just start over if i can just save edit myself back to my resource levels from my gamespass account. oooh, wonder how long it would take to locate the area of the galaxy my old account was, see my own base ornamed planets. It was like... the lower right quadrant lol. Maybe I'll just reinstall on gamespass too and see where my coords were in the starter galaxy.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Vasler posted:

Can this save editor give me freighter modules? If so, where can I find it?

https://github.com/goatfungus/NMSSaveEditor

After it loads your save game, go into whatever inventory you want, right click, choose add item, in the "search box" put "Salvaged Frigate Module." Or if you already have a couple, double click on them and change the quantity to 30/30.

It's pretty easy to use.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

No Man's Sky: I'm a-freight we're all out of salvage modules.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Vasler posted:

Yay, more twitch drops! These are really useful for those expeditions.

There is actually a working dupe method that is quite easy. I did it myself because I am lazy and didn't want to wait on getting those modules.
Put a portable refiner down
Put what you want to dupe in the input.
Put another portable refiner down but overlap it with the first.
Pick it up.
Pick up the first one too.

Now you have double of what you put in. You get a copy for each refiner you pick up.
I just tested this on the most recent patch and it's still working.

Nullsmack fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 23, 2022

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Nullsmack posted:

There is actually a working dupe method that is quite easy. I did it myself because I am lazy and didn't want to wait on getting those modules.
Pick it up.

Now you have double of what you put in. You get a copy for each refiner you pick up.

If you don't move your camera, you can place down as many refiners in the same spot as your inventory can handle and grab way more at once.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Nullsmack posted:

Pick it up.

This sounds amazing and ridiculous, I have to try it.

Someone in here mentioned that there's a teleporter to get you onto one of your frigates, but I can't find it. Where would such a thing be?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Vasler posted:

This sounds amazing and ridiculous, I have to try it.

Someone in here mentioned that there's a teleporter to get you onto one of your frigates, but I can't find it. Where would such a thing be?

I found it once. It's an ability from one of the consoles on your freighter's bridge where you manage the frigates. There should be a teleport button once you're looking at one. Once you get over there, there's a short-range teleporter on the landing pad that will bring you back. You could also fly your ship, it shows up there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Started the game today, spawned on my freighter and it looks a little.. hosed up. At first I was stuck in the room with the save point with no way out and stretchy textures going around. I reloaded an earlier save and the layout is back to normal but the weird textures are still there. Anyone else having this?

And no, it's not a hardware issue, everything outside the freighter looks fine.

E: I warped the freighter and it got fixed. That was weird!

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 23, 2022