Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
So what's everyones go to for a cheap quiet air compressor? Mostly just for blowing cleanup and airing up tires. Have a Porter Cable pancake right now but it shakes across the garage and explodes my brain with how loud it is.

A few options that I've seen are the California Air Tools 1 gallon, 1 and 2 gallon Fortress compressors at Harbor Freight, and the 8 Gallon Goodyear at Walmart. Although the two gallon Kobalt at Lowe's seems like a good value for a small 2 gallon unit?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-QUIET-TECH-2-Gallon-Single-Stage-Portable-Electric-Hot-Dog-Air-Compressor/1001014016

The Goodyear is obviously the biggest, and also has the highest CFM but don't like how much bigger it is.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-8-Gallon-Quiet-Oil-Free-Horizontal-Air-Compressor-Portable-with-Handle-and-Wheels/896759384

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I used to have a 5 gallon loud rear end compressor and bought one of the 1 gallon quiet ones (california 1 gal) to replace it. It takes a lot longer to fill up a tire, probably needs to run for each tire you air up. It's a bit too small IMO but at the same time it's tiny and quiet. I'd go for at least a 2 gal if I were to buy again.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Maybe you might want a cordless inflator from your preferred cordless tool color? I showed mine to my dad and he was blown away, because it's a pain to pull out even his small compressor to put a few PSI in a tire, but having a cordless tool to do the job makes it a lot easier to pull out and inflate a tire.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
obviously what OP needs is a Rivian R1T with a compressor built into the bed

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FISHMANPET posted:

Maybe you might want a cordless inflator from your preferred cordless tool color? I showed mine to my dad and he was blown away, because it's a pain to pull out even his small compressor to put a few PSI in a tire, but having a cordless tool to do the job makes it a lot easier to pull out and inflate a tire.

They're incredibly useful and I use mine all the time. Stopped by my father in laws the other day to borrow his wheel barrow and the tires were low. Grabbed the inflator out of my truck and filled the tires right up in a matter of seconds. He was blown away so I bought him one for this birthday. I used it this weekend at the beach to inflate a paddleboard and some floats.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

FISHMANPET posted:

I've got two ryobi ones. They take forever to fill a car tire but are great for bikes.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
The 2HP California Air Tool hotdog is pretty good and fast while still being pretty quiet.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I only recently picked up a 18V inflator and it owns. I already have a bike pump and a 20L compressor but the cordless tool makes it so convenient to top up your tyres that you'll actually use it.

It can also blow up an inflatable or provide forced air to a fire, and even act as a (very) little sweeper in a pinch.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Bob Mundon posted:

So what's everyones go to for a cheap quiet air compressor? Mostly just for blowing cleanup and airing up tires. Have a Porter Cable pancake right now but it shakes across the garage and explodes my brain with how loud it is.

A few options that I've seen are the California Air Tools 1 gallon, 1 and 2 gallon Fortress compressors at Harbor Freight, and the 8 Gallon Goodyear at Walmart. Although the two gallon Kobalt at Lowe's seems like a good value for a small 2 gallon unit?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-QUIET-TECH-2-Gallon-Single-Stage-Portable-Electric-Hot-Dog-Air-Compressor/1001014016

The Goodyear is obviously the biggest, and also has the highest CFM but don't like how much bigger it is.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-8-Gallon-Quiet-Oil-Free-Horizontal-Air-Compressor-Portable-with-Handle-and-Wheels/896759384

1-2 gallon, and get something that’s advertised as “quiet” … California air tools or Makita is a good bet

In your case I’d honestly consider getting the cordless if you’re not using it for air tools

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.

Bob Mundon posted:

If all you're wanting to do with it is blow up tires and use it for blowing dust and debris, the Kobalt one you linked would be the one to go with. The Goodyear one is going to be larger than you want/need, and quite a bit louder than the pancake compressor you already have.

A thing to try on your existing compressor to make it quieter, is make sure the mounting bolts that hold the motor & pump onto the tanks are tightened down all the way. They tend to loosen themselves over time and sometimes that makes them louder. Not always! Some compressors are just loud as gently caress.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Mr. Yuk posted:

If all you're wanting to do with it is blow up tires and use it for blowing dust and debris, the Kobalt one you linked would be the one to go with. The Goodyear one is going to be larger than you want/need, and quite a bit louder than the pancake compressor you already have.

A thing to try on your existing compressor to make it quieter, is make sure the mounting bolts that hold the motor & pump onto the tanks are tightened down all the way. They tend to loosen themselves over time and sometimes that makes them louder. Not always! Some compressors are just loud as gently caress.

I think you have that waaaay backwards . Goodyear is 65 decibels, which granted is 50% louder than the others but a far cry from the every bit of it's rated almost 90 decibels of my Porter Cable pancake.

That being said a 2 gallon sounds enough for my purposes and an extra 5 decibels isn't nothing.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I've got a bunch of milwaukee poo poo.

I need (want) a new charger. The regular charger is slow as gently caress and I want to be able to charge some of my bigger batteries faster.

Should I go for the M18/M12 super charger or the "6 pack" charger that can do 3 12v and 3 18v batteries and charge three of them simultaneously?

The difference is only 50 bucks. I don't necessarily do enough poo poo with my milwaukee stuff that I'm killing batteries all the time, but times when I use multiple tools on the same job and various sized batteries are in varying states of charge after the job is done, I like the idea of being able to put multiple batteries on the charger and leave, come back the next day and they're charged. I guess that means I probably want the multiple charger, but I just want to hear some thoughts on which one is better/worse, etc..

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

I've got a bunch of milwaukee poo poo.

I need (want) a new charger. The regular charger is slow as gently caress and I want to be able to charge some of my bigger batteries faster.

Should I go for the M18/M12 super charger or the "6 pack" charger that can do 3 12v and 3 18v batteries and charge three of them simultaneously?

The difference is only 50 bucks. I don't necessarily do enough poo poo with my milwaukee stuff that I'm killing batteries all the time, but times when I use multiple tools on the same job and various sized batteries are in varying states of charge after the job is done, I like the idea of being able to put multiple batteries on the charger and leave, come back the next day and they're charged. I guess that means I probably want the multiple charger, but I just want to hear some thoughts on which one is better/worse, etc..

Is the multi-charger also a “super charger”? Like, does one charge faster than the other?

Being able to charge all of your used batteries at once/have all of your batteries ready to go when you want to work on a project seems really aces

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

It says "40% faster" than the regular charger, so slower than the super charger, but it also charges up to 3 batteries simultaneously, which I like.
With some of the bigger batteries that I have now, I rarely actually kill them during a job, but I do like to make sure to top them off when I;m finished with them.
Currently, I have the "regular" charger and I'm charging one battery at a time, and its a pain. Faster is "good" but multiple I like better.
Like I said I have probably already made my mind up but I WANT THE INTERNET TO SAY GOOD CHOICE BRO HELLS YEAH!!

Or tell me its stupid because those chargers are lovely or something. I don't fuckin know.

E: I have several (8?) m18 batteries and 4 m12 batteries. I know that means I can't charge ALL of them at the same time, but with this thing and the regular charger, I can fill all the spaces and leave it and have all my 12v batteries charged and half of my 18 volts charged over night or whatever.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 20, 2022

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I'd say don't buy a charger. Buy a tool combo kit that includes a charger, that way you have more batteries and more chargers and another tool.

That's what I do with DeWalt anyways, not sure if Milwaukee combo deals work the same.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've got the rapid charger (step below super) and I find it hard to justify an upgrade. It charges pretty fast, usually about as fast as I can use a battery with intermittent use during a project. Specifically once I was tearing down a well house with my SDS hammer and rotating between my 6AH and 8AH batteries. I didn't have to stop because by the time I'd run down one battery the other was finished charging.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Uncle Enzo posted:

I'd say don't buy a charger. Buy a tool combo kit that includes a charger, that way you have more batteries and more chargers and another tool.

I have 3 milfuckee charger, one slow two super and got all of them for less than free waiting for a good sale where I'd get a new tool and a high output battery or two

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
What's everyone's recommendation for a cheapish torque wrench? I have the harbor freight 3/8 and the last couple times the release when it hits torque was really tough to pick up on, and the last time on 5 ft/lbs I didn't pick up on it at all and sheared off the head. I like the idea of a dial indicator or something for a visual confirmation, but even a positive click release would be better. Hard to trust this wrench anymore or any with this style after that.

For reference this is what I have now. https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-63880.html

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bob Mundon posted:

What's everyone's recommendation for a cheapish torque wrench? I have the harbor freight 3/8 and the last couple times the release when it hits torque was really tough to pick up on, and the last time on 5 ft/lbs I didn't pick up on it at all and sheared off the head. I like the idea of a dial indicator or something for a visual confirmation, but even a positive click release would be better. Hard to trust this wrench anymore or any with this style after that.

For reference this is what I have now. https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-63880.html

5 ft lbs is way too low for any 3/8" torque wrench I've ever seen. If you need to do things at that low of a torque spec you want something like a fatwrench: https://www.wheelertools.com/gunsmithing-tools/wrenches-and-screwdrivers/f.a.t.-wrench-with-10-bit-set/553556.html

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Agreed. Get a smaller torque wrench more appropriate for low torque settings. Tekton or harbor freight for cheap options. Most 1/4" wrenches will go low, usually start measuring in inch pounds vs foot pounds.

Verman fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 21, 2022

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Actually have a fat wrench and instantly regretted not using it. But, even last time I used it at 30 I could barely tell it clicked, so doesn't give me a lot of confidence. Is that typical of this style or just an issue with my specific wrench?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Bob Mundon posted:

Actually have a fat wrench and instantly regretted not using it. But, even last time I used it at 30 I could barely tell it clicked, so doesn't give me a lot of confidence. Is that typical of this style or just an issue with my specific wrench?

The Tekton wrenches linked earlier have a fairly prominent click. The smallest of them you feel more than you hear, but it’s there. It is still important to use one appropriate for the torque spec, but you likely can do better.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bob Mundon posted:

I can definitely tell when mine clicks, even down low. You may have something wrong with yours.

Also, remember that 30 on a fat wrench, which is calibrated in inch lbs, is 2.5 ft lbs.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Neighborhood skid steer just made a delivery:

Blade spins freely and the motor still runs. A pretty cool piece. Time to make it beautiful again!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
That's a nice guard on that jointer.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Literally A Person posted:

Blade spins freely and the motor still runs. A pretty cool piece. Time to make it beautiful again!

I look forward to progress pics.

That motor has the most interesting rigged mounting.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Verman posted:

Agreed. Get a smaller torque wrench more appropriate for low torque settings. Tekton or harbor freight for cheap options. Most 1/4" wrenches will go low, usually start measuring in inch pounds vs foot pounds.

This, though I'll throw out a possible option of an electronic torque wrench. I went with a Gearwrench 85076 for the same reason, my various 1/4 and 3/8 hand-me-down torque wrenches had inconsistent and hard-to-feel clicks at low settings. I personally don't ever encounter any situations where I need a torque wrench below 10 ftlb, though, and it looks like the Gearwrench 1/4" drive offerings are much more expensive.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bondematt posted:

I look forward to progress pics.

That motor has the most interesting rigged mounting.

So extremely tempted to keep it as I've never seen 1x10 and chain used in this way before. Maybe a new shiny chain when I finish it up.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

That's amazing. And terrifying.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Motronic posted:

I can definitely tell when mine clicks, even down low. You may have something wrong with yours.

Also, remember that 30 on a fat wrench, which is calibrated in inch lbs, is 2.5 ft lbs.

30 was in reference to ft lbs. It is Pittsburgh so may as well swap it out. It's like baaaarely there by feel, and zero audible.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

e. wrong thread

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Can't get tetanus if your fingers are mince meat. Equally neat and terrifying.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Bob Mundon posted:

my fatwrench beeps at torque, i use it for 3d printer nozzles in inch-pounds.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

So extremely tempted to keep it as I've never seen 1x10 and chain used in this way before. Maybe a new shiny chain when I finish it up.

‘Hinge and the weight of the motor’ is a surprisingly common way to tension belts. Pretty sure it’s all a Unisaw does.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

‘Hinge and the weight of the motor’ is a surprisingly common way to tension belts. Pretty sure it’s all a Unisaw does.

Tbf this is the principle behind the belt tensioner on my drill press. Just never seen one so, uh, DIY'd.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Interesting.

Back in the day, our hay elevator's motor was mounted on a wood plate that was attached to a pipe coming out of the frame. The motor could move rather freely. Sometimes if you threw a heavy bale too hard, you could make it bounce slightly and the drive belt would loose tension just long enough for the big drive wheel to stop. That would make the elevator chain chatter pretty bad and it could slip off the guide. I preferred being the guy on the wagon rather than the loft, so 9 times out of the 10 if that happened it was my fault. Which then meant I had to climb up the elevator and put the chain back in place. And maybe dodge a bale that slipped off the teeth while the thing racked from me climbing it.

All those years and I never put together that the flappy wood was doing something useful.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It’s some kind of natural law that the weight of a motor is always about right for the tension of its own drive belt.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Or tell me its stupid because those chargers are lovely or something. I don't fuckin know.

E: I have several (8?) m18 batteries and 4 m12 batteries. I know that means I can't charge ALL of them at the same time, but with this thing and the regular charger, I can fill all the spaces and leave it and have all my 12v batteries charged and half of my 18 volts charged over night or whatever.

It's kind of stupid to buy a super charger unless you have a large number of the really expensive high output batteries and you burn through them fast. If your battery fleet is mostly HD 12.0 or XC 8.0 batteries then yeah, you might want a super charger. If you're charging a lot of the smaller batteries then there's going to be very little difference between the super and rapid chargers, and the difference might not even matter with the bigger batteries if you don't typically burn through them in less than an hour.

That said, upgrading from a standard charger to a rapid charger is a big jump, but you can get those things for free with combos pretty easily.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This lil guy is fantastic and does pretty good on stuff up to about 6" diameter. Very maneuverable and easy to get into funny spots and super sharp and cuts small stuff with one swipe alot of times. It folds up and will fit in a back pocket. If it's mostly smaller stuff, pretty hard to beat some decent loppers. Corona also makes good ones.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Corona-RazorTOOTH-10-in-Folding-Pruning-Saw/3006129

I got the 14 inch version of this and I loving LOVE it. I just saw a post on our HOA facebook about people being annoyed that branches are overhanging the sidewalk at some places. I'm definitely someone guilty of this, so that motivated me. I checked my local Ace and it had this in 14 inches, and I just used it, it was super easy: grabbed the branches, most were off in one single swipe. I don't think I've actually ever used a brand new saw before. Holy poo poo it's nice.

I was considering a pole saw but they were like double the price so I'll make do with a ladder if I need to. There are no high branches that need to come down right now. This saw was mostly for cutting up branches I already have that are too big to fit into my trash. My neighbors on 3 sides, like to helpfully return branches that fall of the trees. The Previous Owner planted about 15 trees on the border of the property. Some are more than 3 storeys high and at least one is dying and needs to be removed this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

It's kind of stupid to buy a super charger unless you have a large number of the really expensive high output batteries and you burn through them fast. If your battery fleet is mostly HD 12.0 or XC 8.0 batteries then yeah, you might want a super charger. If you're charging a lot of the smaller batteries then there's going to be very little difference between the super and rapid chargers, and the difference might not even matter with the bigger batteries if you don't typically burn through them in less than an hour.

That said, upgrading from a standard charger to a rapid charger is a big jump, but you can get those things for free with combos pretty easily.

My battery fleet in 12 volt is three 2ah, and one 4ah. In 18 volt its four 2ah, two 5ah, one 6ah and one 8ah. I've currently got one "regular" charger, and if I use several tools for a job, I like to top all of them up when its over. Depending on the job some might be pretty close to empty, while others less so. My reasoning for the 6 pack charger is fill it up with batteries, along with the old charger, and have them all be charged up by, say the next day (if I do it at the end of the day), and then put any other batteries that need charging on there afterwards.
Currently its: Charge one battery that might take half an hour or longer depending on the battery/remaining charge, remove, put another one on, wait and so on.