Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Here's a roundup of the full Q&A:

@Jared_McNeal3: Can you tell us how much you will be expanding on the forsaken in this season?

Rafe Judkins: It’s a big point of difference from the books in S2. We will spend more time with any Forsaken who’s in the show, more how the later books treat the Forsaken than necessarily Books 2 or 3 did

@GradeKangusBeef: favorite Season 2 two person scene with only the character names and no more

Rafe: Egwene Renna

@MaggieMelchior: Since most of the main characters split up geographically at the beginning to tGH, will the next seasons keep them on parallel timelines for a convergence at Falme? In which case, the Portal Stones left a time gap of ~4 months for Rand’s group; easier to do on a page or on film?

Rafe: Time gaps are very difficult moving to the medium of television with the stories intercutting, but we try to do as much as we can to avoid one hour cross continent dragon flights

@bicks236: Early S3 renewal?

Rafe: Yep!! Thanks@PrimeVideo!!

@dedicatedgrady: Is the Darkfriend Social gonna be in the show?

Rafe: Yep

@SilverbowReborn: Hopper?

Rafe: THANK YOU. WHY IS NO ONE EVER GIVING HOPPER THE RESPECT HE DESERVES. OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: HOPPER IS IN S2

@marisavanzee: favourite type of gin, and also, can you drop a hint about something you’re looking forward to us seeing in season 2?

Rafe: Your pic makes me excited about where Liandrin’s character goes in S2. We are so so lucky to have the amazing @katefleetwood in the show and you will love, hate, and love to hate her LiLi

@memymomonkey: Any hints on Moiraine’s journey in season 2?

Rafe: It’s much expanded from her Book 2 story. But built out of the core of that and of a couple relationships that were not explored in the books

@Moonn1949: Did everything happen as planned this season or did you guys have to change anything (as in the last 2 eps of season 1)?

Rafe: There were unforeseen changes as we shot S2 immediately after wrap of 107 and 108. But that’s making television. Anyone who tells you there weren’t unforeseen changes on their show is lying

@crowz92: I have a cheat question about season 1. What was the biggest change in episode 8 that was brought by COVID restrictions compared to what you had originally planned?

Rafe: The thing I like the least was we originally had Egwene using the Wisdom skills she’d learned in the pilot from Nynaeve to help her after the channeling in Fal Dara. But last minute Covid changes on the day didn’t allow for the same amount of touching so it got switched and I [face melt emoji]

@crowz92: Will we see more than one of these cities in season 2? Cairhien, Tear, Falme

Rafe: Yes

@mostlybree: Are you sticking with the fun cold opens?

Rafe: Yep! It’s our ode to the out of POV chapters in the books and we will always have them

@RodelIturalde1: Which books make it into season 2?

Rafe: Pieces of 1, 2 and 3.

@WoTUp5: I have to ask. Gawyn (and I guess the lesser brother Galad) actually beat Mat in the warder training yard in the show right? Theres no way they lose on screen is there?

Rafe: This is an iconic scene from the book and we are building to a believable version of it in the show. Hopefully. Ha.

@Murck82: Will weaves appear the same in the coming season(s)? Congrats on S3 btw!

Rafe: They’re getting a bit of a revamp for S2. Threads and colors and bears oh my. But no bears.

@MassyTheSassy: First off, G&T is divine. Second, I want to know if you get more chances to expand the dialog more to let us see the characters better?

Rafe: We are always trying to. Lots of one on one scenes that didn’t get shot or didn’t make the cuts. But I’m always fighting for them, I think that’s where the characters really live or die, and our actors can always deliver when it’s just 2 people in a room talking

@KyleSucksAtThis: What was the scene you dreamed of bringing alive the most and have you filmed it yet?

Rafe: That scene is in the final episode of the show

@SwartzLuke: Which new cast member gave you the best “Yep! THAT’S _(insert character name)_!” moment in season 2 filming?

Rafe: I think this moment will be in the first or second trailer of season 2. It lives rent free in my mind at all times

@Phntm888: How many episodes will@Season 2 be? If only 8 again, will they be longer?

Rafe: They are longer than first season, but yes, still only 8

@ghost_partea: Are the Whee of Times Origins canon to the tv show or just a pretty (amazing) side piece where the stories of origins aren’t the mythology used in the show?

Rafe: Canon

@Jpcjt1: which character had his plot changed the most compared to the books?

Rafe: Mat. But we try to bring the characters back to where they should be by the end of S2.

@lionesswisd0m: What is the journey like for Moiraine and Lan in season 2 with their bond still masked

Rafe: Another big departure point for us from the books is making much more story for Moiraine and Lan. We aren’t sitting these two amazing actors on the bench for a season, so we take what’s in Book 2 for them and expand it in a huge way. That’s all I can say.

@Heron__Marked: Why did you guys decide not to make the dagger instant death like the books? How did Loial survive being stabbed by *the* dagger?

Rafe: That’s a story best told in a stedding

@Jiguiski: Will there be a premiere where WoT youtubers will be invited to ask questions? I really like that for season 1, it was quite unique!

Rafe: I love having that! So here’s hoping

@perrintops: Will we get “Do you like to dance, Perrin Aybara”?

Rafe: Yes.

@CF_Golding: How far into the books will this season take us, know the EF5 are much more split up than EotW

Rafe: We are trying to get a fair amount of what’s done in Books 1-3 (large parts still being held for later) by the end of S2 so that S3 can be a much closer adaptation of TSR

@Ness_bytheloch: What new character/actor are you most excited to introduce us to?

Rafe: There are so many — Aviendha, Elayne, others that have been both announced but not announced, and of course Bayle Domon

@phiswiz: Do the Seanchan still use the ball gags on the Damane?

Rafe: I’ve never seen a ball gag on a damane

@WotTVSeries: Can you tell us what role Xelia Mendes-Jones will play please

Rafe: Xelia is playing the role of knocking their scenes out of the loving park every time they stepped on set.

@burns_science: Pretty sure I saw Uno in the behind the scenes – interested in how that is possible after last season…

Rafe: He’s breathing. Watch close

@NinerAdvocate: Maybe you can open with an explanation of why you had the entire seanchan ever victorious navy unleash everything they had on a poor little girl on the beach, or how you had the forces of Fal Dara hard charging the BACK OF THEIR OWN DEFENSIVE FORTIFICATION.

Rafe: That girl had it coming. So did the entire coastline and all its cities

@newt5996: How much has the making of process changed in between seasons especially with how the pandemic affected season 1?

Rafe: It’s certainly affected us in ways both huge and small, but by the end of Season Two it had become so second nature that MULTIPLE TIMES I poured a coffee into my mask and was confused why it didn’t go into my mouth

@OhGodItsEss: please tell us Gawyn won’t be likable please please please you can’t do this to me

Rafe: I love every character I write. I think you have to find a way to

@Graendal12: What’s your favourite scene with Donal Finn, and why is it him blowing the horn?

Rafe: #LetDonalToot is now the rallying cry of a generation

@Rapunzl347: Is Liandrin’s friend a <ahem> North Harbor friend, a Darkfriend, or both?

Rafe: I wouldn’t tell you even if you used a weave of compulsion

Sarah Nakamura: Well technically….

Rafe: @sarahenakamura is even correcting my book knowledge jokes. I hate it when she’s right. But that’s how she saves the show every day 💙

@mike_schaub: Does Mat get to wander the Tower practice yard, and do we learn of Jearom?

Rafe: Get your Origins on!!!

@nadiattlee: When will Rand’s luscious curly locks return?

Rafe: Ask @joshastradowsk1 He should be growing them now 🙂

@Defenestr8edCow: Are we going to hear more about Moiraine’s dog, Jenny? A few of us had some theories that there may be more to that story…

Rafe: Please make @rammypark do an Origins episode about this

@SnoddyDaniel: How cool was it actually seeing a Fade nailed to a door? Did you pick up a hammer and help mount the fella?

Rafe: I genuinely loved it ha

@MeRavingMad: In comparison to season one, how much queer rep is there going to be?

Rafe: It depends on how many great memes you churn out.

@celticmyst08: describe S2 using only alcoholic beverages please

Rafe: Spiked Kaf

@Moonn1949: Does Rand get his Red and Gold outfit this season? I can’t wait to see Josha officially in it

Rafe: 🤗

@JenIsgro: Will we finally see Steve?

Rafe: How does this only have one like. Most important question

@rafethompson: Can you confirm that people named Rafe from Utah are the best people?

Rafe: Another Rafe? Is this real life??

@RationalNerd: Are you aware that as the second RJ writer for WoT some parts of the fandom call you R2J2?

R2D2 from Star Wars with Rafe Judkin's face photoshopped on its head

Rafe: No. But this is my best news of the week

https://www.wotseries.com/2022/07/21/rafe-judkins-qa-post-comic-con-panel/

Hexel fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

NinerAdvocate spittin

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Why on earth would you want Galad and Gawyn to beat Mat!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

ManSedan posted:

Because you are also the only person on the planet that thinks Gawyn is better.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hexel posted:

@GradeKangusBeef: favorite Season 2 two person scene with only the character names and no more

Rafe: Egwene Renna
this immediately gave me chills, that's gonna be such a dire scene

quote:

@dedicatedgrady: Is the Darkfriend Social gonna be in the show?

Rafe: Yep

@SilverbowReborn: Hopper?

Rafe: THANK YOU. WHY IS NO ONE EVER GIVING HOPPER THE RESPECT HE DESERVES. OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: HOPPER IS IN S2

@perrintops: Will we get “Do you like to dance, Perrin Aybara”?

Rafe: Yes.

:bisonyes:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

IGN has a 4k version of that trailer on youtube :sun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9OKqDS_MC4

Hexel fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 22, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If they kill Hopper *again*

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Natural 20 posted:

Because you are also the only person on the planet that thinks Gawyn is better.

Gawyn is better.

He's just as clueless as Galad, but at least he didn't join a fascist religious orginization.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

ManSedan posted:

Because that person probably also is an egwene and gawyn stan

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Gawyn is better.

He's just as clueless as Galad, but at least he didn't join a fascist religious orginization.

The trakands suck rear end

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

On the Dusty Wheel:
Some of season 2 Origin will be about the Forsaken and Age of Legends.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 22, 2022

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DTurtle posted:

On the Dusty Wheel:
Some of season 2 Origin will be about the Forsaken and Age of Legends.

I wouldn't be opposed to one episode for each Forsaken, to go over their history; especially since there's more known about some than others. I'm pretty sure the books imply there were a lot more than 13 Forsaken during the War of Power too, but the 13 we know are just the ones at the Bore during Lews Therin's attack.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yes. I think the compendium specifically explains that the rest of the Forsaken died out fighting each other mostly. My favorite little head theory is that the 13 forsaken that we see we're actually the worst, as in they're just bad at everything, and they were about to get either killed or mind trapped when the 100 companions attacked. So they're only really scary compared to contemporary times as we read in the book

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I feel like I'm missing a reference or something here.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Not a Game of Thrones watcher, I take it?
(In the last two seasons GoT just kinda slapdash had characters teleport around the whole continent without much to the way of rhyme or reason, it was one of the many things that was hugely panned about the ending.)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Data Graham posted:

The last few seasons of Game of Thrones sort of gave up on anything resembling consistency and had characters essentially teleporting vast distances constantly.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I had an inkling that might be it as I typed it, but it was purely based on a guess.

e: Talking about "dragon flights" in this particular series, especially when discussing fast-travel methods, is .. shaky ground

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Data Graham posted:

There were some people in seriously dire straits deep in the northern area of the land when a lady hops on a dragon many thousands of miles away and arrives in time to save them in Game of Thrones.

The whole last season had "teleporting" issues.

Hexel fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 22, 2022

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

CainFortea posted:

Yes. I think the compendium specifically explains that the rest of the Forsaken died out fighting each other mostly. My favorite little head theory is that the 13 forsaken that we see we're actually the worst, as in they're just bad at everything, and they were about to get either killed or mind trapped when the 100 companions attacked. So they're only really scary compared to contemporary times as we read in the book

I don't think that's really a feasible idea given we have Lews Therin's direct thoughts on the various Forsaken, and he credits Semirhage as being an almost supernaturally gifted torturer who people released just on her reputation, comments on how Sammael's defection really did feel like the destruction of hope and so on. Plus, The Dark One seems to have favored Ishamael since his defection and throughout his time as a Friend of the Dark during the Age of Legends, rather than just post release if I recall.

Data Graham posted:

Talking about "dragon flights" in this particular series, especially when discussing fast-travel methods, is .. shaky ground

I didn't watch Game of Thrones, but any fast travel in Wheel of Time is built into the setting and has it's own rules and limitations so I doubt it's a comparable situation.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

tsob posted:

I don't think that's really a feasible idea given we have Lews Therin's direct thoughts on the various Forsaken, and he credits Semirhage as being an almost supernaturally gifted torturer who people released just on her reputation, comments on how Sammael's defection really did feel like the destruction of hope and so on. Plus, The Dark One seems to have favored Ishamael since his defection and throughout his time as a Friend of the Dark during the Age of Legends, rather than just post release if I recall.

Lews Therin is also a paranoid insane disembodied personality living in someone else's head.

He isn't a rational actor.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

CainFortea posted:

Lews Therin is also a paranoid insane disembodied personality living in someone else's head.

He isn't a rational actor.

I don't recall his account of any events being challenged or refuted, and all of it lines up with what few snippets about the Forsaken survived the Breaking. Plus, Rand has Lews Therin's memories without any paranoia, or even really personality, once he reconciles himself atop Dragonmount.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

tsob posted:

I don't recall his account of any events being challenged or refuted, and all of it lines up with what few snippets about the Forsaken survived the Breaking. Plus, Rand has Lews Therin's memories without any paranoia, or even really personality, once he reconciles himself atop Dragonmount.

The only other account of those events are from the forsaken themselves, who absolutely see themselves as being stronger and smarter than they are. Also in this entire book series "unreliable narrator" is a constant companion.

And he may have the memories after dragonmount, but we also don't get those same reveals about them after that point.

I'm not saying that the Forsaken weren't powerful, just that they were the worst of the Forsaken

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

CainFortea posted:

The only other account of those events are from the forsaken themselves, who absolutely see themselves as being stronger and smarter than they are. Also in this entire book series "unreliable narrator" is a constant companion.

And he may have the memories after dragonmount, but we also don't get those same reveals about them after that point.

I'm not saying that the Forsaken weren't powerful, just that they were the worst of the Forsaken

The Forsaken are ultra competitive within their own circles, and while they'll form temporary alliances, they constantly snipe at each other and look for ways to gently caress each other over; so while they might each see themselves personally as stronger/smarter, they also have no reason to extend that courtesy to the other members of the Forsaken as a group. They don't to Mazrim Taim either, despite him also being favored by The Dark One and a member of the Forsaken for part of the story. They don't even care much for power in and of itself, and constantly sneer at any channeler who holds roughly similar levels of power to them such as Nynaeve or even former Forsaken reborn into new bodies. At least until they are revealed to be former comrades, and even then, they'll often denigrate them inside their own thoughts. They never talk about them as being incompetent within the Forsaken and only of note because they survived though.

I'm pretty sure Rand has thoughts and memories of both Ishamael/Moridin and Lanfear after coming to terms with himself; possibly others. He very definitely has thoughts about Demandred though, since I just re-read the passage in question. Which is in chapter 1 of A Memory of Light, where Rand thinks about how Demandred could and really should have been a hero, but his competitive relationship with the man as Lews Therin had driven Demandred to the Shadow instead. The thoughts on others like Lanfear may not include any history (I can't recall off hand), but (a) he still thinks of them all along the same lines as he'd been thinking of them up to that point and (b) he never thinks that anything he'd previously thought was a lie or wrong.

It's also notable that while Lews Therin is a paranoid wreck of a personality, he's not actually ever wrong; at least in his thoughts on the personality or power of a given Forsaken. His thoughts on Graendal, how she operates etc. are perfectly on point, as an example. Which allows Rand, in his own increasing paranoia to come up with a fairly straight forward but horrifying plan to kill her, that almost works and only fails due to unforeseen circumstances that had nothing to do with his thoughts on Graendal. We also get his thoughts on Rahvin, Ishamael etc. being very accurate to their personality, power, normal plans of attack and so on. It'd be really weird if Lews Therin is always right about all of that, but completely delusional and wrong on their history.

Also, the White Tower, Ogier, Birgette and a few other places have some surviving snippets about the various Forsaken; like Loial telling Moiraine what little he knows of Be'lal so she can prepare in case she faces him (which includes that he was known as a "netweaver"; which Moiraine thinks indicates someone of patience who wove intricate plans) and one of the sisters in the White Tower digging up some snippets of info on Mesaana so that Egwene can prepare to face her (including stories that she ran schools indoctrinating children to The Dark One and was known to be extremely capable even if she wasn't the most skilled or powerful).

We also have the opening prologue of the entire story, where Ishamael goes to torture Lews Therin, already empowered by The Dark One to use the True Power, where Lews Therin thinks about Ishamael as a betrayer; which implies there was some friendship there in the first place. A relationship that is significant, given Lews Therin himself was one of the most famous people of that age, even during the time itself and not just from surviving stories. More importantly, we know from Moghedien that only roughly 30 people were ever empowered to use the True Power by The Dark One, and Ishamael is already experienced at using it when he confronts Lews Therin in the prologue only a few days or weeks after the attack on the Bore. The Dark One in general seems to have always favored Ishamael though, as he seems to be The Dark Ones primary agent through all turnings of the Wheel of Time, just like The Dragon is the avatar of the Light.

Finally, there is also some information from companion books (The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time etc), none of which contradicts Rand or anyone else's accounts so far as I'm aware. The idea the 13 Forsaken that are so horrifying and dreaded within the contemporary times of the story were actually relatively incompetent within their own age is a cute theory, and fun to think about; but I don't think it's borne out.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CainFortea posted:

Eh, I really don't think that's true. We have historical records for most of them that showed they were fairly influential and powerful. Like one of them is 'guy who explicitly bioengineered all the Shadowspawn' which seems like it would exclude him from any 'worst of' list alone.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

tsob posted:

The Forsaken are ultra competitive within their own circles, and while they'll form temporary alliances, they constantly snipe at each other and look for ways to gently caress each other over; so while they might each see themselves personally as stronger/smarter, they also have no reason to extend that courtesy to the other members of the Forsaken as a group. They don't to Mazrim Taim either, despite him also being favored by The Dark One and a member of the Forsaken for part of the story. They don't even care much for power in and of itself, and constantly sneer at any channeler who holds roughly similar levels of power to them such as Nynaeve or even former Forsaken reborn into new bodies. At least until they are revealed to be former comrades, and even then, they'll often denigrate them inside their own thoughts. They never talk about them as being incompetent within the Forsaken and only of note because they survived though.

I'm pretty sure Rand has thoughts and memories of both Ishamael/Moridin and Lanfear after coming to terms with himself; possibly others. He very definitely has thoughts about Demandred though, since I just re-read the passage in question. Which is in chapter 1 of A Memory of Light, where Rand thinks about how Demandred could and really should have been a hero, but his competitive relationship with the man as Lews Therin had driven Demandred to the Shadow instead. The thoughts on others like Lanfear may not include any history (I can't recall off hand), but (a) he still thinks of them all along the same lines as he'd been thinking of them up to that point and (b) he never thinks that anything he'd previously thought was a lie or wrong.

Even before that someone thinks that Demandred would have been the preeminent man of his time if he weren't just a hair less than Lews Therin in every way. I can't recall if it's Lews Therin or one of the other Forsaken, though. It was one of the spokes of the Taimandred theory that when Rand asks Taim to draw as much power as he can hold, Taim is only very slightly weaker than Rand.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

tsob posted:

The idea the 13 Forsaken that are so horrifying and dreaded within the contemporary times of the story were actually relatively incompetent within their own age is a cute theory, and fun to think about; but I don't think it's borne out.

Yea, that's why I called it a head cannon. It's not a hill i'm going to die on.

But I think you're missing my point. You can not tell definitively that the 13 Forsaken we see were better or worse than the other Forsaken we didn't see. Because we have no method of comparison to those other Forsaken. Because Demandred could have been a hero doesn't describe his competence compared to the others. Or Aginor making the trollocs still got gibbed by an untrained teenager.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

CainFortea posted:

Yea, that's why I called it a head cannon. It's not a hill i'm going to die on.

But I think you're missing my point. You can not tell definitively that the 13 Forsaken we see were better or worse than the other Forsaken we didn't see. Because we have no method of comparison to those other Forsaken. Because Demandred could have been a hero doesn't describe his competence compared to the others. Or Aginor making the trollocs still got gibbed by an untrained teenager.

I would say you could, because thoughts like "he could have been a hero" indicate he was thought of as better than a lot of his peers. There may have been a few Forsaken not at the Bore during the attack by the 100 Companions that were the better of him, but he certainly wasn't in the bottom tier given that kind of assessment.

Aginor dying to an untrained teenager also doesn't mean he's bad at his job, because no-one, anywhere, ever, in anything is ultra competent in every field. Aginor doesn't think of himself as a warrior, and explicitly thinks of himself otherwise a few times. He wasn't the strongest or the fastest etc. nor a great leader or anything. He was a scientist, and he excelled at that within the War of Power, so far as we're told. Again, maybe there were a couple of people who were his superior in biology and bio-engineering, but he was unlikely to be in the bottom percentile.

And while I can't remember where, I'm pretty sure there's an account that those at the Bore were the strongest and/or best, there for a planning meeting. Which sounds more likely, given what we see in the books.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 22, 2022

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Jedit posted:

Even before that someone thinks that Demandred would have been the preeminent man of his time if he weren't just a hair less than Lews Therin in every way. I can't recall if it's Lews Therin or one of the other Forsaken, though. It was one of the spokes of the Taimandred theory that when Rand asks Taim to draw as much power as he can hold, Taim is only very slightly weaker than Rand.

As rand narrates, he has no idea if that's actually Taim's max, and was had the little green Buddha to be guaranteed to be more powerful in that moment.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

tsob posted:

I would say you could, because thoughts like "he could have been a hero" indicate he was thought of as better than a lot of his peers. There may have been a few Forsaken not at the Bore during the attack by the 100 Companions that were the better of him, but he certainly wasn't in the bottom tier given that kind of assessment.

Aginor dying to an untrained teenager also doesn't mean he's bad at his job, because no-one, anywhere, ever, in anything is ultra competent in every field. Aginor doesn't think of himself as a warrior, and explicitly thinks of himself otherwise a few times. He wasn't the strongest or the fastest etc. nor a great leader or anything. He was a scientist, and he excelled at that within the War of Power, so far as we're told. Again, maybe there were a couple of people who were his superior in biology and bio-engineering, but he was unlikely to be in the bottom percentile.

And while I can't remember where, I'm pretty sure there's an account that those at the Bore were the strongest and/or best, there for a planning meeting. Which sounds more likely, given what we see in the books.

I think they were the strongest/most important still alive when the bore was sealed. It seems like the length of the actual fighting portion of the War of Power varies by source, ranging from 10-80 years, but you have to imagine that the shadow experienced attrition during that fighting considering both sides were slinging everything they had including balefire.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

quote:

@Murck82: Will weaves appear the same in the coming season(s)? Congrats on S3 btw!

Rafe: They’re getting a bit of a revamp for S2. Threads and colors and bears oh my. But no bears.

Doing the thing I was hoping they would do!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hexel posted:

@Jared_McNeal3: Can you tell us how much you will be expanding on the forsaken in this season?

Rafe Judkins: It’s a big point of difference from the books in S2. We will spend more time with any Forsaken who’s in the show, more how the later books treat the Forsaken than necessarily Books 2 or 3 did

Excuse me, I need to go lie down for a while.

Oh god yes.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Dear Rafe where can I get a set of those forsaken totems??

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Glumslinger posted:

I think they were the strongest/most important still alive when the bore was sealed. It seems like the length of the actual fighting portion of the War of Power varies by source, ranging from 10-80 years, but you have to imagine that the shadow experienced attrition during that fighting considering both sides were slinging everything they had including balefire.

Sure; still alive should have been implied I guess. That said, The Dark One can recycle the dead, so even if someone stronger or better had died, then there's no reason he couldn't have just given them a new body even during the War of Power. It does seem to take a bit of time, but even if someone(s) had died in the couple of days/weeks preceding the assault on the Bore, then The Dark One could still have recycled any such people after the seals had begun to weaken. Instead he just recycled Aginor, Belthamel, Lanfear and Moridin. Unless everyone better than the current crop died via balefire (and it was used pretty extensively for a time during the War of Power) or was perceived to have betrayed The Dark One like Asmodean, it's likely those 13 were the best and brightest of the bunch. I would imagine it's possible a couple of better Friends of the Dark did die to balefire, but I doubt it was too many honestly and those were probably at least near the best The Dark One had.

As to the length of the War of Power; my impression was that there was a period of several decades after the Bore was breached during which society started to take an increasingly dark turn, but that the War of Power itself only lasted several years. The preceding decades are still thought of as somewhat the same because civilization became increasingly dark, including things like death sports (where the poison aran'gar and osan'gar daggers were used), and there were probably the beginnings of conflict during that time as people declared for The Dark One, researched fighting/war, turned plowshares into swords and so on; but that the fighting didn't begin in earnest until the final few years.

quote:

What, no Latelle? gently caress you, Rafe; show ruined!! :catbert:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Post immediate bore who knows if tdo could touch the pattern that directly. It's described as an "outside force" aka free will.

I think it's also explicit somewhere that the 13 were just lucky to be at the bore. Maybe luck coincides with competence, but there were I believe hundreds.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He's the "Lord of the Grave"; even if he couldn't touch the pattern at the time, there's no reason he wouldn't be able to recycle them come contemporary times if he wanted, because theyr'e still just another soul in the end, and go to him eventually because they pledged to him for all time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

tsob posted:

He's the "Lord of the Grave"; even if he couldn't touch the pattern at the time, there's no reason he wouldn't be able to recycle them come contemporary times if he wanted, because theyr'e still just another soul in the end, and go to him eventually because they pledged to him for all time.

There are some limits on it, he needs to catch them 'immediately' after they die or they slip away to be reincarnated which is why Balefire prevents him from resurrecting them. He misses his window to grab them retroactively

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Post immediate bore who knows if tdo could touch the pattern that directly. It's described as an "outside force" aka free will.

I think it's also explicit somewhere that the 13 were just lucky to be at the bore. Maybe luck coincides with competence, but there were I believe hundreds.

I definitely remember a couple different versions of the story over the years, but I thought one of them had them at the Bore for some meeting, and the implication was that they were the ones at that meeting because they were "most powerful" or "highest ranking", or whatever.

Lord knows where I got that from, though. Please don't make me dig up the Big White Book of Ugly Art.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Excuse me, I need to go lie down for a while.

Oh god yes.

Same. The forsaken PoVs are what make the series as good as it is

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

RC Cola posted:

Same. The forsaken PoVs are what make the series as good as it is

Yeah, I like season 1 a lot, even given it's issues that I can mostly forgive due to Covid and the whole Mat thing. But cutting Aginor and Balthamel was almost unforgivable.

On a rewatch, I kind of get it. It let them focus on one enemy vs. Rand. But still...god dammit, Rafe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

I definitely remember a couple different versions of the story over the years, but I thought one of them had them at the Bore for some meeting, and the implication was that they were the ones at that meeting because they were "most powerful" or "highest ranking", or whatever.

Lord knows where I got that from, though. Please don't make me dig up the Big White Book of Ugly Art.

I did the deed for you
"While the exact events of that day can never be known, some of the details have survived. The Dragon and his companions arrived at Shayol Ghul to discover an unexpected bonus: a gathering of the thirteen most powerful leaders of the Forsaken Aes Sedai was taking place at the Pit of Doom deep within the mountain at the same moment, perhaps sum moned by the Dark One for a conference. The Companions struck quickly and mercilessly, sealing the Bore safely, without ripping open the Dark One's prison as many opponents had feared. Forty-five of the Companions were killed in the battle, and apparently the warmen took a much higher percentage of casualties. The strike trapped all the attending Forsaken within the sealing, thus removing with one stroke the Shadow's touch and his leadership in this world."

Ugly art book. Chapter 4, page 47