Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My step mom owned a painting company forever and just got back to me saying the same, if there aren't already issues, there really isn't a reason for a full caulk job, especially since our eaves keep the house pretty dry as is. Just do the windows/doors and trim if desired.

That's what I was thinking and I'm relieved because it would be a ridiculous amount of work. It's lasted this long with no moisture issues in one of the wettest parts of the country but a lot of the painting videos I've watched recommended caulking seams and it felt incredibly excessive which is why I asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Is there building envelope under that paneling? If so it should be caulked/taped already if your codes are like Canada, and if not I dunno... surely they wouldn't have caulked that originally right?

Probably not. And if there was it's just tar paper and it's not taped. But there should be. Which would involve pulling all of that siding. Then again, lots of building of that age are still around and just fine with whatever it is they did or didn't do: they're just not as efficient or comfortable.

Do not caulk the siding. They didn't, you shouldn't. That's not where the vapor barrier goes, and it wouldn't actually work as an effective vapor barrier anyway. In fact it would be very likely to rot all the siding out in no time because it's going to make it take longer to get rid of moisture that may get (is getting) behind it.

I really don't know how I'd approach that job. Pulling the siding (to keep for re-use) would be a completely miserable job, but might be worth it if the place needed insulation and exterior paint anyway.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Has anyone used federal/state incentives to get solar?

I'm in Oregon and they're pushing it hard but there's a billion different sites looking for clients and I'm kinda overwhelmed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I bought this house and they were adamant that the fireplace is as-is and that it's not functional. I'm trying to get it functional and get a chimney person out here to get mine inspected and cleaned. I'm expecting them to try to sell me on a liner, but is that super necessary? Those stainless steel liners are pretty new inventions and people have had fireplaces for a thousand years. Seems to me that if you have a clean flue that you should be good to go. Can any of you speak to this?
If you go down this road, ensure your insurance company is aware of a functioning fireplace.

As a matter of fact, you might want to check with them before you start doing anything.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Has anyone used federal/state incentives to get solar?

I'm in Oregon and they're pushing it hard but there's a billion different sites looking for clients and I'm kinda overwhelmed.

Check out the BFC thread from earlier in the month

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
$17k to dig up and replace a small section of pipe and line the rest of the sewer... man this is expensive!

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Been couch shopping. Currently have a free couch that was originally sold at World Market.

We've tried Pottery Barn, Lovesac, the local discount furniture warehouse, the local high end furniture store (the Keeping Room) and looked all over online.

Everything is poo poo (except Hancock and Moore, but the sofa we liked would be $7k+ in the leather we liked.

Trying one more midrange store today. Who knew sitting on stuff would be so exhausting.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
If you have pets/kids/move a lot, home reserve is pretty great. They sell modular furniture and you can buy replacement covers/cushions for when your kids piss on them or your dogs and cats shred them. They ship the furniture in boxes and you assemble it yourself. The quality is better than what you might think. We bought a sectional from them almost ten years ago that we're still using.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
My beloved Kenmore super duty stackable washer dryer isn't rotating the wash drum during the cycle.
Is it hubris to think I could swap the motor if I can source one, or should I just look to replace? I've never done anything like it before but am generally competent.
What brands/styles should I avoid/look for? It's electric, not gas hookup. Looking online there's some GEs for 650 but the reviews are bad.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

majour333 posted:

My beloved Kenmore super duty stackable washer dryer isn't rotating the wash drum during the cycle.
Is it hubris to think I could swap the motor if I can source one, or should I just look to replace? I've never done anything like it before but am generally competent.
What brands/styles should I avoid/look for? It's electric, not gas hookup. Looking online there's some GEs for 650 but the reviews are bad.

it might be a belt too and not the motor

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Eason the Fifth posted:

If you have pets/kids/move a lot, home reserve is pretty great. They sell modular furniture and you can buy replacement covers/cushions for when your kids piss on them or your dogs and cats shred them. They ship the furniture in boxes and you assemble it yourself. The quality is better than what you might think. We bought a sectional from them almost ten years ago that we're still using.

No kids, one well behaved dog.

Just got home from Hamilton's Sofa Gallery. It was fine. Probably just going to order the Article.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

NomNomNom posted:

No kids, one well behaved dog.

Just got home from Hamilton's Sofa Gallery. It was fine. Probably just going to order the Article.

Please don’t. Article stuff is just overpriced made in china crap with a fancy website.

There’s a middle ground between cheap couches and Hancock and Moore/ Bradington & Young level couches.

My furniture advice is to find a locally owned store. No chains. No stockholder’s. They’ll probably have lots of sources for furniture. Tell them what your looking for and what’s important and see what they have.

Some middle ground couch manufacturers are Palliser, Southern Motion, Flexsteel (some lines are better than others), Omnia and others.

I have a large Palliser sectional and I’m very happy with the cost:quality ratio. It ran me about 6K delivered 4 years ago.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

NomNomNom posted:

Been couch shopping. Currently have a free couch that was originally sold at World Market.

We've tried Pottery Barn, Lovesac, the local discount furniture warehouse, the local high end furniture store (the Keeping Room) and looked all over online.

Everything is poo poo (except Hancock and Moore, but the sofa we liked would be $7k+ in the leather we liked.

Trying one more midrange store today. Who knew sitting on stuff would be so exhausting.
Lee Industries is another good manufacturer IME. They don't really sell to the public but a good interior designer/showroom should be able to order from them. Not sure about pricing or lead time though, especially in leather.

Room & Board stuff seems to be okay. My sister has this I think and it's comfortable and big enough to sleep on. They do have some leather options too. My brother has had a room & board sofa for probably 8? years and it's held up pretty well.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

majour333 posted:

Does it not rotate at all? If that's the case, I would be looking at the belt.

Which model is it?

We have an electrolux full size front loader set and really like it. Had it now for over 5 years and been flawless.

One thing I wish it had and was more common is a reversing dryer drum. We had a Kenmore years ago that did that but none of them since have and I really miss it. Makes doing big things like sheets, much simpler and not get tangled and balled up as easy.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm having my kitchen cabinets "remodeled" this week. They are traditional (ew) maple framed cabinets, which I hate. Instead of replacing all the cabinets, I'm doing the same thing as my bathroom, where the face frame is painted, and new larger doors and drawers are being installed that make it look frameless. The doors and drawers also have no handles - the doors have those hinges where you push in and the door pops out, and the drawers are using the new blum movento system, with the same kind of motion - you push the drawer closed and it's "grabbed" to pull it in the rest of the way. The cost of this is less than half of what putting in brand new cabinets would be, and since the cabinets are in good shape and do not need to be moved, it seems like the right choice for me. The doors and drawers will be this color.

this is my second to last major project - I will be having my one piece shower/tub surround replaced with a tiled walk-in shower next month.

M - taping (first pic)
T (today) - priming (other two pics)
W - tomorrow - painting
Th - new door and drawer install (might go into Friday)

So right now I cannot use my sink (using my bathtub to wash dishes), and all of my appliances are sitting in my living room. I'm just sitting in my entry. That ducting is blowing the fumes out through my patio door.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 26, 2022

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

actionjackson posted:

the doors have those hinges where you push in and the door pops out, and the drawers are using the new blum movento system, with the same kind of motion - you push the drawer closed and it's "grabbed" to pull it in the rest of the way.

I hope you cleared this with whomever does the cooking in your house because I would loving hate this.

I just got back from an air b&b where the microwave had a drawer-movement like that and it was like i was fighting a sentient drawer every time i used it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

I hope you cleared this with whomever does the cooking in your house because I would loving hate this.

I just got back from an air b&b where the microwave had a drawer-movement like that and it was like i was fighting a sentient drawer every time i used it.

I'm the only one that lives here, and I've already done it in my bathroom. I have no idea what system those drawers have so I can't comment, but the movento stuff works very well

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Soft close drawers are amazing. Only thing better is a soft close toilet seat.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Soft close drawers are amazing. Only thing better is a soft close toilet seat.

oh yeah i have that too, alpha gx wave bidet seat

it is true that if you have a lot of smaller items like utensils, using a tray and maybe some antislip materials is helpful so they don't move around much when you close it

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Just be careful with soft close toilet lids, you'll start accidentally slamming toilet lids when you visit someone with normal toilet seats.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

actionjackson posted:

oh yeah i have that too, alpha gx wave bidet seat

it is true that if you have a lot of smaller items like utensils, using a tray and maybe some antislip materials is helpful so they don't move around much when you close it

Soft close stopped working on our $300 bidet seat and it's annoying enough that I'm considering moving it to the guest bathroom and getting another that works for the main bathroom.

FISHMANPET posted:

Just be careful with soft close toilet lids, you'll start accidentally slamming toilet lids when you visit someone with normal toilet seats.

EVERY. drat. TIME.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

My parents' kitchen has soft close cabinets and drawers except for one set of cabinets, and boy can you tell when someone uses those.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

or just have the seat down at all times and have very good aim

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

You mean people with strange antiquated toilet seats. Like a lot of hotels. Sorry sleeping family, both my own and I presume for several rooms over.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Our new kitchen has soft close doors and drawers and holy poo poo yeah it's amazing.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

actionjackson posted:

or just have the seat down at all times and have very good aim

When I'm at home I sit down to pee every time. Standing to pee is overrated. :colbert:

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
My cabinets are not soft closing and in fact require an extra hard shove to close and jerk to open because I purposefully installed extra high tension brass latches. This was in response to a 7.1 earthquake a month after we moved in sending half our kitchenware crashing to the ground.

I wonder how well push-to-open and soft close mechanisms resist being flung open during something like that.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

dunno we don't have many earthquakes in minnesota

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Went to Lowes and managed to only drive there once for two trips. :smug:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have purchased the giant skeleton from Home Depot.
Gonna pair it with the coffin-shaped wedding arch my dad made me.

Goth Lyfe.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

they did the painting today - used sher-wood hi-bild pre-cat lacquer

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 27, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oops forgot attachment

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Inzombiac posted:

I have purchased the giant skeleton from Home Depot.
Gonna pair it with the coffin-shaped wedding arch my dad made me.

Goth Lyfe.

:hb:

Just a little jealous, ngl.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

actionjackson posted:

oops forgot attachment

Ooh I spy a Festool dust extractor, they were surface preppin like a champ. Those things own, I have access to sales demo units and I look for any excuse to bring one home and sand poo poo. Looking good over there.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Final Blog Entry posted:

Ooh I spy a Festool dust extractor, they were surface preppin like a champ. Those things own, I have access to sales demo units and I look for any excuse to bring one home and sand poo poo. Looking good over there.

yeah i saw that and recognized it from a vid about popcorn removal - talked to the guy about possibly taking down the texture on my ceiling and doing a level 5 flat next year. ceiling is in really good shape and the popcorn is pretty light, and is painted, but I kept his number. I didn't realize it could be done in a few segments, which is good because I then I could just stay in another area of my place while he does each section.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

actionjackson posted:

they did the painting today - used sher-wood hi-bild pre-cat lacquer

How bad does your house stink?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

actionjackson posted:

yeah i saw that and recognized it from a vid about popcorn removal - talked to the guy about possibly taking down the texture on my ceiling and doing a level 5 flat next year. ceiling is in really good shape and the popcorn is pretty light, and is painted, but I kept his number. I didn't realize it could be done in a few segments, which is good because I then I could just stay in another area of my place while he does each section.

The CT36AC dust extractor and Planex sander is what you want for popcorn removal. If he's just got a CT Midi and Rotex sander or similar setup for cabinets and the like then he's not going to be able to tackle popcorn removal without another large equipment investment.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

How bad does your house stink?

not at all, they vented it out through my front patio door (see picture of ducting earlier), they had the kitchen well sealed off and just had a hole for the ducting, then it went to the patio door, and there was a seal on that as well with just another hole for the ducting. it looks like he used the titan capspray

Final Blog Entry posted:

The CT36AC dust extractor and Planex sander is what you want for popcorn removal. If he's just got a CT Midi and Rotex sander or similar setup for cabinets and the like then he's not going to be able to tackle popcorn removal without another large equipment investment.

ah ok, i just remember festool sounding familiar. he actually subcontracts with this place, he has his own painting business, but it's more larger projects like cabinets, he does do ceilings as well. not so much regular walls.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 28, 2022

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have some places in my (paved)driveway that aren’t quite potholes, they’re just like… dents. Place where I guess the ground wasn’t fully compacted and the asphalt subsided a bit - as in, at least an inch if not two, in a couple places. Even worse, one or two of those are right on the edge of the pavement.

In some ways a pothole or crack might be easier since it would be contained and “grip”. How do I fix this, like, do I put in some of the chunky pothole patch and sealcoat everything up, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

actionjackson posted:

I'm having my kitchen cabinets "remodeled" this week. They are traditional (ew) maple framed cabinets, which I hate. Instead of replacing all the cabinets, I'm doing the same thing as my bathroom, where the face frame is painted, and new larger doors and drawers are being installed that make it look frameless. The doors and drawers also have no handles - the doors have those hinges where you push in and the door pops out, and the drawers are using the new blum movento system, with the same kind of motion - you push the drawer closed and it's "grabbed" to pull it in the rest of the way. The cost of this is less than half of what putting in brand new cabinets would be, and since the cabinets are in good shape and do not need to be moved, it seems like the right choice for me. The doors and drawers will be this color.

this is my second to last major project - I will be having my one piece shower/tub surround replaced with a tiled walk-in shower next month.

M - taping (first pic)
T (today) - priming (other two pics)
W - tomorrow - painting
Th - new door and drawer install (might go into Friday)

So right now I cannot use my sink (using my bathtub to wash dishes), and all of my appliances are sitting in my living room. I'm just sitting in my entry. That ducting is blowing the fumes out through my patio door.

Did this myself a few years ago. Total cost was 10% of what a full remodel would cost, not counting my own labor. Figuring out the proper door sizes and spacing and hinge offsets was a pain, luckily I have access to 3d CAD so I only messed up one set of hinges out of approximately 30 doors!

e: soft close does indeed own