Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shyrka posted:

I tried watching Danmachi S3 a little while ago and got unreasonably annoyed at the sequence where the monster girl saves a kid from a cart falling on her and all the random townsfolk start shouting and throwing rocks at her because they don't want no monsters in their town.

Where were all these loving heroes when the monsters got loose in S1 so Bell could have an epic fight with the gorilla and everyone very reasonably ran the gently caress away because it was established that monsters are incredibly powerful and deadly to regular people?

Felt like way too much contrived drama for the sake of making you pity the poor mistreated monster girl.

to be fair i havent seen danmachi s3 but if the monster girl's design is cute i 100% buy that some guys would gently caress off when theres a giant rampaging gorilla but feel comfortable yelling at a monster thats smaller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
People who hate certain group get aggressive when surrounding single, small, timid target. Yet run away in presence of rampaging, titan-sized opponent that's destroying buildings?

Got nothing just scratching my head rn.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

They had a better chance fighting the gorilla than setting the monster girl off though.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I mean I did say it was unreasonable!

But the timid little monster girl did just hold a cart above her head with one hand, and probably would've one-shot the gorilla if she ever fought it herself because she's a much stronger monster from deeper in the dungeon.

I dunno, it just was hard for me to suspend disbelief for.

Either you're a regular dude who doesn't know about monsters in which case she just looks like a cute girl with weird coloured skin, or you're an adventurer who does know about monsters in which case she's a terrifyingly strong foe you need to be level 3 to fight. Neither situation feels like one where 'throw rocks' is a good answer.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It’s not really clear what happened with the cart and she’s got a little girl in her arms it seemed pretty reasonable to me that the crowd is pissed.

Except the literal stone throwing lololol.

e: the crowd specifically doesn’t know what kind of monster she is just that she has stone wings growi nh out of her. Also she looks nothing at all like her monster form that shows up later lol.

kater fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 22, 2022

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I’m really liking s3. I think the thing I hated most about s2 was there felt like three or four different arcs stuffed into 12 eps, and this has at least managed to stick to one so far.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It's not high art but Danmachi is, imo, a good fun show.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

s2 only had 2 arcs iirc but they both took place in the town and not the dungeon which was disappointing. gotta have that dungeon in the dungeon show

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

s2 only had 2 arcs iirc but they both took place in the town and not the dungeon which was disappointing. gotta have that dungeon in the dungeon show

Perhaps the town is the true dungeon.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

chumbler posted:

what is this Ys 9

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

chumbler posted:

So the townsfolk throwing the rocks were the real monsters all along.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

chumbler posted:

what is this dragon age 2

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

Endorph posted:

the s2 ending is insanely funny, the whole story is about bell bonding with a prostitute and other people judging her for it and him sticking up for her and him learning about why people would go into that line of work, and then the ending is 'btw she just cleans the place up shes never had sex'

feels very much like the original author's editor got really mad at him or something

Reasons that S2 is my favourite so far. Was nice to take a break from the dungeon for a bit, and the cowards ending I just headcannon edit out, because anime has weird hangups about sex workers and the "purity" of main characters sometimes :japan:

S3 was ehh, I felt it spent too much time trying to ham up the pity angle for the monster girl and crew, along with too much running back and forth (literally).

How many volumes have been adapted so far by the show?

Jomo fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 23, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

S3 ends at volume 11s end im pretty sure. the original LNs are at volume 17. So s4 will probably adapt up to 14 or 15?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

allegedly the next arc is really long and season 4 is gonna be 22 episodes so probably all the remaining volumes

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

chumbler posted:

End of the series zones out on the world to reveal it’s just the bottom of an even bigger dungeon, Men in Black style.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Biscuit Hammer ep3: I think they missed a big plot thing somewhere in the first two episodes about Yuuhi being able to meet the Princess in the dream world so when it does finally happen in this episode, her persona being different and them being different is basically out of nowhere unless I missed it in the first episode.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Xelkelvos posted:

Biscuit Hammer ep3: I think they missed a big plot thing somewhere in the first two episodes about Yuuhi being able to meet the Princess in the dream world so when it does finally happen in this episode, her persona being different and them being different is basically out of nowhere unless I missed it in the first episode.

No, it's intentionally basically out of nowhere.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I miss the faces of season 1 devil is a part timer.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Supremezero posted:

I just checked and in the manga instead of "where am I?" he says "It's the dream about the door again", but as far as I can tell it's the first time the manga viewer has seen it. The scene is otherwise basically the same.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Endorph posted:

i dont think thats true on a number of levels honestly. like a lot of 'grr weebs' stuff, it feels more like the editors or management in charge of certain things just have really backwards standards that they enforce, and the actual fanbase largely doesnt care.

like half the female cast of fate/grand order and associated stuff openly talks about sex and sex they've had and theyre all very popular, and that game's huge.

That's what I mean. It wouldn't make a difference but the suits won't risk it because taking risks isn't the way it's done.

Also the MC from rental girlfriend continues to shoot himself in the foot, to the surprise of nobody. Why is he dating a girl he doesn't want to be with and she knows this but still tries to get in his pants? Either date the cute girl who brought condoms to your apartment for real or tell your neighbor that she needs to make up her mind about you. Or the second thing and then the first thing when she turns you down. Dumbass.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 23, 2022

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bremen posted:

I just checked and in the manga instead of "where am I?" he says "It's the dream about the door again", but as far as I can tell it's the first time the manga viewer has seen it. The scene is otherwise basically the same.

Supremezero posted:

Weird. It's been a very long time since I've read the manga but I guess it's on track with everything.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Teppen ep4:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Really appreciate Lycoris Recoil upping the big time couple energy of Chisato and Takina

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Really appreciate Lycoris Recoil upping the big time couple energy of Chisato and Takina

it rules. what a cute episode

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Big fan of those two goofballs.

And the series is so well animated too.

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012

chumbler posted:

What is this, the original Bard's Tale?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Real Society Hours.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Big fan of those two goofballs.

And the series is so well animated too.

Episode 4 was fun, and making this a top season fav after Isekai Uncle.

Also had to pause and laugh at the start of the episode when they discussed ballistics around the non-lethal ammo. Like the writers knew this was going to be a sperggin` point for some and just straight up went "yes we know, but sir are you aware this is anime?" :coolslime:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Have to give the writer/weapon designer/weapon consultant for Lycoris Recoil some credit for actually bringing up the fact that Simunitions are relatively inaccurate compared to live ammo. For anyone wondering why they are, it's because (by my understanding of ballistics at least) the bullets are so light weight (0.2 grams vs 7-8 grams for 9mm) and travel so slowly (130-190 m/s vs 350-430 m/s for 9mm) that they carry far less momentum making them more susceptible to aerodynamic drag and wind. It also turns out that Mika is the one making and providing the less-lethal bullets which explains the magical properties of punching through glass and car doors but simply knocking out a goon cold. Also gets around the fact that Simunitions require a barrel swap at the very minimum to chamber Simunitions but not live ammo; thus you can't just simply switch between Simunitions and live ammo by changing mags like Takina did. Also avoids any lawsuits from General Dynamics for having any of the products being used in an unauthorized and unsafe manner by anime girls.

I'm conflicted on the fact that Chisato basically knows gunkata and how the other characters are infuriated about how loving bullshit that is. The latter almost makes up for the former except that it comes across a little too self-aware and meta. However, it's a bit odd how Chisato lost to Fuki in the VR shooter but Takina succeeded despite Chisato single-handedly clowning Fuki and Sakura in the live training match last episode. Was this a foreshadowing of Chisato's weakness or just a one-off gag to lead into this episode's premise for the girls to go buy lingerie? The show hasn't come off as trashy enough to do the latter but has yet to give me reason to give me confidence that it's necessarily the former. They're certainly building towards something but how well will they pull it off?

E: F,B on the less-lethal bullet point.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 24, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I actually really really like the gunkata though; it just looks so drat good. It would look silly in live action because I'm not sure you could make that sort of camera work well, work. But here it just looks so good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I get the vibe that Chisato wasn't as good at fighting in that VR game precisely because it was a game - her 'genius for killing' is so perfect that any sort of unrealistic abstraction throws it off.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Handyman Saito In Another World is getting an anime next January. I'm looking forward to it because the manga is pretty quick and good, though there's absolutely no way they'd be able to capture the manga's pretty unique art style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R542qtKQIA

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I also get the impression that Chisato is (a) gay as hell for Takina, and (b) completely convinced that her constant flirting with Takina is just a silly joke between friends with nothing actually romantic about it, honest. They've basically got the exact same dynamic as Nazuna and Ko from Call of the Night.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

chumbler posted:

Handyman Saito In Another World is getting an anime next January. I'm looking forward to it because the manga is pretty quick and good, though there's absolutely no way they'd be able to capture the manga's pretty unique art style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R542qtKQIA
it's going to be full length episodes? how many episodes? that's really weird considering the chapters are like 4 pages long, and a lot of the humor is pretty short bits. if it's like 6 episodes long I can see them fitting the whole of what's currently out in it, any longer and it's gotta have a ton of original content or padding.

don't get me wrong, I like the manga, just...I don't think it fits with a full length episode format.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Captain Invictus posted:

it's going to be full length episodes? how many episodes? that's really weird considering the chapters are like 4 pages long, and a lot of the humor is pretty short bits. if it's like 6 episodes long I can see them fitting the whole of what's currently out in it, any longer and it's gotta have a ton of original content or padding.

don't get me wrong, I like the manga, just...I don't think it fits with a full length episode format.

I have a feeling it is going to be like Tonari no Seki-kun or Luluco.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

You could maybe do it like Skull-Faced Honda-San where it's 15 minute episodes. That would let them squish the relevant chapters together without too much extra padding.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

danmachi s3 made me cry lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Nah it was fine. Atrociously animated but eh.

I did tire of the endless parade of chumps in the cast though. Like I think the ninjas in s2 assault an entire castle by themselves and they can’t do anything at all in s3. Even the s2 big bad is hanging around and goes gosh I suck now huh.

kater fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 24, 2022