Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Can anyone recommend a good, strong handheld vacuum? I have one that sucks real bad (barely able to pick up crumbs with the nozzle covering them).
I want something I can easily use anywhere, I don't want or need it to be able to vacuum my floors or anything like that.
What I really want/need is something as powerful as possible while not too heavy for one handed use. I've tried the Dyson V8 and the xiaomi G10, G11 and Light. All of these seem to be plenty powerful in their respective boost modes (although the Light apparently has a lot less power). I really don't like the Xiaomi products design/ergonomics wise, but if they are the best bang per buck I can deal with it. I don't feel like Dyson are any better in a way that justifies their prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

SEKCobra posted:

Can anyone recommend a good, strong handheld vacuum? I have one that sucks real bad (barely able to pick up crumbs with the nozzle covering them).
I want something I can easily use anywhere, I don't want or need it to be able to vacuum my floors or anything like that.
What I really want/need is something as powerful as possible while not too heavy for one handed use. I've tried the Dyson V8 and the xiaomi G10, G11 and Light. All of these seem to be plenty powerful in their respective boost modes (although the Light apparently has a lot less power). I really don't like the Xiaomi products design/ergonomics wise, but if they are the best bang per buck I can deal with it. I don't feel like Dyson are any better in a way that justifies their prices.

Check out vacuum wars on YouTube.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

sharkytm posted:

Check out vacuum wars on YouTube.

Sounded like a great tip, but none of the videos I found really helped me.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

SEKCobra posted:

Sounded like a great tip, but none of the videos I found really helped me.

"vacuum wars handheld' on Google... https://youtu.be/dkgwbRuvqzc

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

deimos posted:

"vacuum wars handheld' on Google... https://youtu.be/dkgwbRuvqzc

I did watch it, but it didn't really seem to give a good recommendation.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The last minute or so of the vid is just saying which were recommended though?

That said ive had a bissel pet hair eraser for a while and it kicked rear end, the powered head really did work with pet hair.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Dr. Despair posted:

The last minute or so of the vid is just saying which were recommended though?

That said ive had a bissel pet hair eraser for a while and it kicked rear end, the powered head really did work with pet hair.

Yeah but the test set is fairly limited and the selection seems very arbitrary.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If you just want a handheld dustbuster type thing without floor attachments, your power tool color of choice probably has a decent one.

I’ve got this dewalt one and it’s worked great so far. Wouldn’t want to use it as an actual shop vac, but it does a great job cleaning up after little kids and car seats or whatnot.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Car seats, shelves, those sorta things yeah. But I want womething that actually sucks, not like the one I have and only have regrets about.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I got some Dyson knockoff stick vacuum that works incredibly well with its handheld attachments

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Paradoxish posted:

It's kind of stupid to buy a super charger unless you have a large number of the really expensive high output batteries and you burn through them fast. If your battery fleet is mostly HD 12.0 or XC 8.0 batteries then yeah, you might want a super charger. If you're charging a lot of the smaller batteries then there's going to be very little difference between the super and rapid chargers, and the difference might not even matter with the bigger batteries if you don't typically burn through them in less than an hour.

That said, upgrading from a standard charger to a rapid charger is a big jump, but you can get those things for free with combos pretty easily.

I thought the quicker you charged your battery the worse it was for longevity. Is this still true or have they figured this out

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

lil poopendorfer posted:

I thought the quicker you charged your battery the worse it was for longevity. Is this still true or have they figured this out

That's generally true, but with bigger batteries especially I'd bet you're already charging at a pretty low C rate per cell with the standard charger and the faster chargers probably don't hurt them. It's also likely that most systems have something either in the charger or the battery (depending on the brand) that negotiates the maximum charge rate for a given battery. So a rapid charger might not actually charge your average 2 AH battery any faster than a normal charger, but can negotiate faster charge rates for the bigger batteries.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
My dad is finally ready to give up the ghost on his aging craftsman 19.2v collection and my brother and I have been looking to get him a new power screwdriver because that's his, by far, most commonly used item.

We had been looking hard at this DeWalt for months: https://a.co/d/ixSM3Uw

However, all the major stores are perpetually out of stock and all the smaller ones are either incredibly shady, have the price jacked up to nearly double, or both.

Anyone have a suggestion for something maybe in the $100ish range that does the swivel from drill-style to flat?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Ordered a jigsaw from direct tools outlet and got this. Quite the mistake

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

DoubleT2172 posted:

That's a pretty good error in your favor, I'd say.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

That's a heavy rear end jigsaw.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

DoubleT2172 posted:

:peanut:

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

I am flabbergasted. Probably just going to sell it on craigslist; don't really have the room or need for it

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

DoubleT2172 posted:

I am flabbergasted. Probably just going to sell it on craigslist; don't really have the room or need for it

Still.

:peanut:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

DoubleT2172 posted:

And they still are required to send you the item you ordered. Ask if they want to trade the generator for the jigsaw and something else you want. The generator is yours to keep unless you strike a deal with them.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

DoubleT2172 posted:

*Jeff Goldblum/Tim the Tool Man voice* Nature will find the room and need for it.

Keep it

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

DoubleT2172 posted:

Where you at? I'll come pick it up for what you paid for it.

Edit, just want to be clear, I'm kidding.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

El Jebus posted:

Where you at? I'll come pick it up for what you paid for it.

Edit, just want to be clear, I'm kidding.

unless they are close by.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I also would buy that from you if you were near me

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I was sitting there complaining to my wife about not being able to get a socket into a tight space and having to use a slow rear end open wrench and she said two words that blew my loving mind.

Ratcheting. Wrench.

:aaaaa:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I've been such a fool for so long.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Literally A Person posted:

I was sitting there complaining to my wife about not being able to get a socket into a tight space and having to use a slow rear end open wrench and she said two words that blew my loving mind.

Ratcheting. Wrench.

Did you learn about ratcheting wrenches from your wife?

Also pro tip: don’t get ones with really coarse teeth. They have a ton of backlash before the the pawl engages. Spend the extra to get ones that have more teeth. I regret this and my cheap ones have lasted forever so I can’t buy new ones.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

CarForumPoster posted:

Did you learn about ratcheting wrenches from your wife?

I mean conceptually I knew these things existed I guess but without that comment I would have been suffering with tiny slow non-ratcheting forever. The thought just never even crossed my mind.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
On that subject anyone tried the style where the open end also ratchets via a little pawl? Amazing for fittings where you can't use a closed end or a worthless gimmick?

If you don't know what I'm referring to here's a cheap example from Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-100-Position-MM-Double-Ratcheting-Wrench-Set-6-Piece-H100DRW6PCMMN/314256119

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Spent a bit over 20 minutes on the phone and I have a new battery coming whenever they can get their hands on one.

Just to finish this out, I got a tracking number on July 21 and had the new battery on the 26th. Lawn got a bit shaggy in that time but was still able to get it under control with one charge.

Debating whether or not I want to pull the old pack apart. Its behavior has changed while sitting; now the indicator just lights up two bars green, but the charger doesn't react at all when you connect it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My tekton 6pt ratcheting wrenches are absolutely incredible. Especially with the pivot heads.

Game changer.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Elem7 posted:

On that subject anyone tried the style where the open end also ratchets via a little pawl? Amazing for fittings where you can't use a closed end or a worthless gimmick?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-100-Position-MM-Double-Ratcheting-Wrench-Set-6-Piece-H100DRW6PCMMN/314256119

:kstare:

Me want.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Literally A Person posted:

Ratcheting. Wrench.

You quickly learn this changing the alternator on a 2006 Nissan Altima.

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.

Elem7 posted:

I have a very similar set to the one you linked and I love it, it comes in real handy to have the option to switch back and forth if you have to do anything in tight spaces.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DoubleT2172 posted:

Uh before you tell them which jigsaw should I buy...

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The gold harbor freight ratchet is on sale I guess.

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in...lated%20Ratchet

It's still a little much to impulse but for laughs.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I got the 'EGO Power+ ST1511T 15 in. 56 V Battery String Trimmer Kit (Battery & Charger)' and used it a couple of times. The most recent time was probably 2-3 weeks ago, until this weekend. I used it again this weekend (the battery had been plugged into the charger for the last 3 weeks) and it ran out of battery within 20 minutes. It normally lasts like 45 minutes. So does the charger charge it up once, and then forget about it forever, while the battery slowly loses charge? That's the only explanation I can come up with. I used it again a day later and it didn't run out that time. I used it for about 20 minutes in that second weekend session, and when I plugged the battery into the charger it was still half-full.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

redreader posted:

I got the 'EGO Power+ ST1511T 15 in. 56 V Battery String Trimmer Kit (Battery & Charger)' and used it a couple of times. The most recent time was probably 2-3 weeks ago, until this weekend. I used it again this weekend (the battery had been plugged into the charger for the last 3 weeks) and it ran out of battery within 20 minutes. It normally lasts like 45 minutes. So does the charger charge it up once, and then forget about it forever, while the battery slowly loses charge? That's the only explanation I can come up with. I used it again a day later and it didn't run out that time. I used it for about 20 minutes in that second weekend session, and when I plugged the battery into the charger it was still half-full.

Yes, if you leave the battery on the charger it will discharge over time. Since you haven't removed the battery the charger doesn't know to charge the battery again. I'm not sure if there is a company making trickle chargers for power tool batteries?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

redreader posted:

Ego batteries do have a built-in storage mode where if they go unused long enough, they purposely self-discharge after sitting for 30 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

The gold harbor freight ratchet is on sale I guess.

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in...lated%20Ratchet

It's still a little much to impulse but for laughs.

this speaks to me