Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

MadHat posted:

Should mention that it is on Hiatus.

Oh, did it finally actually do that? It really felt like the author was wheelspinning like crazy after the Orphic quest so it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Epilogue is the story of what happens when the characters in a Isekai return home.

I somehow didn't notice until looking through the comments now that apparently a lot of readers thought that Matt/Jen are bad people for abandoning Carl. What the heck, lol. Carl literally did war crimes in Cyravael and only stopped because he was attracted to Jen (and quickly did some more torture after returning to Earth!). That's some "Panacea did nothing wrong" levels of web_serial_readers.txt

That being said, within the story itself it's a little weird how lightly Jen takes Carl's war crimes (which IIRC were done to people like those she ended up living with). She's supposed to be so attached to her life in Cyravael that she chooses to permanently return, so it doesn't make much sense for her to have such a strong bond with this guy who did a bunch of torture and murder to the sorts of people who liked in Cyravael.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Void Herald's new book, Apocalypse Tamer, has apparently been posting for a month and I didn't notice. So I read the first 10 chapters.
It is... Okay. It is surprisingly similar to Dungeon Crawler Carl in the beginning, though Basil(the main) is certainly different. It reminds me of Vainquier the Dragon the most in terms of tone. I just might need more of the story to get into, but as of right now it is fairly bland. I will report back once I read some more.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Been ages since I read Epilogue so I don't remember what Carl did in the other world. I do remember the main guy being pretty dismissive of his troubles and was a hypocrite telling him to adjust back to his crappy life then eventually leaving his troubles behind to head back to fantasy land.

From what I remember they were all pretty broken people making kind of bad decisions while trying to cope with PTSD and going back to civilian nonmagical life.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kyoujin posted:

Been ages since I read Epilogue so I don't remember what Carl did in the other world. I do remember the main guy being pretty dismissive of his troubles and was a hypocrite telling him to adjust back to his crappy life then eventually leaving his troubles behind to head back to fantasy land.

From what I remember they were all pretty broken people making kind of bad decisions while trying to cope with PTSD and going back to civilian nonmagical life.

Basically in the other world Carl became some sort of leader in this empire that was going around doing a bunch of war crimes and torturing (and IIRC was also xenophobic and killing/displacing elves or something, which is how Jen ended up getting captured and tortured by them), and he only switched sides because one of the people his country tortured turned out to be Jen, who he had the hots for. So he helped her escape and switched sides. The fact that he then proceeds to torture some guy soon after returning to Earth is just more damning (it's even specifically pointed out how skilled Carl is at torturing because of all the torturing he did in the fantasy world). I feel like, if anything, Jen and Matt are overly kind towards him (due to a combination of him being one of the handful of Earth people and him "saving" Jen, which is lessened by the fact that he was largely responsible for what happened to her in the first place).

Carl is portrayed as someone who was socially awkward before going to the other world and became addicted to the power he achieved in that world. Matt, who is the closest comparison (since Jen was never any sort of major leader figure and spent most of her time chilling with the elves), is far more conflicted about the things he had to do as a military leader, even if he decides to go back in the end (also, IIRC, this was largely because of Jen stabbing her friend's dad, which kind of forced the issue). Carl had zero problem with the "military leader doing war crimes" stuff, though (because he's a really bad person).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 26, 2022

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Don't take web serial recs from Carl, got it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Infinity Gaia posted:

Oh, did it finally actually do that? It really felt like the author was wheelspinning like crazy after the Orphic quest so it makes sense.

Striker has in fact taking up a trucking job to recharge his creative energies (and bank account)

I am not joking, he is in a semi and making story notes through speech to text. Godspeed to that man.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Apocalypse Redux was a good recommendation. It's a fun read. Though I have no idea how earth survived several years relying on people not being stupid.

It's like there arent any religious extremists who would just love to summon tier 5 thunderclouds in multiple cities. Having that be one event happening after several weeks is dumb.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've read through Essence of Cultivation. It's pretty solid.

And yeah, it's on hiatus, but a planned one and the author took the effort to wrap it up at the end of an arc. I feel good about reading it even if the author doesn't continue writing it.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Epilogue stuff

Ok yeah he really didn't deserve a second chance.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
ah, gently caress, tutbad is up. this is gonna be A Read.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Hey, good for Isra!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Patrick Spens posted:

Hey, good for Isra!

Well other than being a creepy stalker, sure.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
Baby steps, baby steps.

Edit: I've been reading Fox Tongue, and can someone help me sort out the Sung family tree? Aaron and Markus are both bastards of Duke Sung. The Lady Adelaide is the Duke's estranged wife who shacked up with the King, and is also somehow Markus' mother. Which, how is Markus a bastard then? Did the duke just adopt his wife's affair baby and claim Markus as his own son?

Patrick Spens fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 26, 2022

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Here's a couple I've been reading although they are both on break this week.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/40182/only-villains-do-that
Goddess isekais young otaku to become hero during a train incident and the evil goddess figures bystander Seiji will do as dark lord. The adventures of reluctant Dark Lord Seiji who is kind of an rear end in a top hat but might be what this messed up world needs. Pretty hilarious and the others around him ground Seiji from becoming too much of a jerk.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/44132/the-calamitous-bob
A spat between the god of luck and goddess of revenge leads to luck god stealing the place of an (ex?) combat medic on earth who is then deposited in the undead remains of an ancient, evil empire in this new world. Viv (aka Bob) meets a couple interesting characters on her way back to civilization and gets wrapped up in politics while searching for a way to heal her soul and black mana damage. Some litRPG elements but not crazy stat blocks every page. Solfis and Arthur are pretty great.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kyoujin posted:

Here's a couple I've been reading although they are both on break this week.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/40182/only-villains-do-that
Goddess isekais young otaku to become hero during a train incident and the evil goddess figures bystander Seiji will do as dark lord. The adventures of reluctant Dark Lord Seiji who is kind of an rear end in a top hat but might be what this messed up world needs. Pretty hilarious and the others around him ground Seiji from becoming too much of a jerk.

I got tired of it when it swerved from "lol i'm a dark lord now ZAP" to "wow EDIT: brutal violence against vulnerable sex workers as an inherent part of the phenomenon of prostitution in this hosed up society is giving me PTSD, it sure is bad".

Megazver fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 27, 2022

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
That is also about when I dropped. To be fair, it wasn't really the prostitution that was getting to him. He was healing prostitutes who had been horrifically brutalized, and it was the brutalization more than the prostitution.

It was a lot though. Did it ever calm down?

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Yeah it was more going from first world country to dealing with the reoccurring horrible sexual violence against oppressed women in the worst brothels. There was a somewhat awkward attempt to deal with it but hasn't been mentioned much lately (due to escalating events) outside of acknowledging that his PTSD triggers are a weakness he must be careful flirty power hungry goblins don't find out about.

On another note - anyone reading Calamitous Bob happen to know what web novel chapter the second novel "In Kazar" goes up to? Never done the Patreon thing and didn't know if buying that or just getting the book on Amazon will have the rest of this arc.

Kyoujin fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 27, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Kyoujin posted:

Yeah it was more going from 1st world country to dealing with the reoccurring horrible sexual violence against oppressed women in the worst brothels. There was a somewhat awkward attempts to slowly heal it but hasn't been mentioned much lately outside of acknowledging that his PTSD triggers are a weakness he must be careful flirty power hungry goblins don't find out about.

Does anything happen after the prostitutes? I dropped it around the same time as the other posters because it didn't seem like it was going to ever move the plot forward from dealing with one little dinky town out in the middle of nowhere.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

He's loving around with a goblin civil war right now.

It sounds more interesting than it is

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I still enjoy it well enough but it's suffering from taking way too long to resolve conflicts. Extrapolating out, the end game would take millions of words to reach.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Short answer: Yes.

Only Villains Do That plot spoilers That arc does drag on but Lady Grey escapes and stirs up the cats against Northwatch which leads to lots of named character deaths. Seiji immolates the Khora forrest and finally hunts down Lady Grey in the chaos. Next arc starts with goblin friends dying in his kitchen leading to a sortie underground against the Goblin King also involving Hero Yoshi's crew and Void practitioners.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I rather like Only Villains Do That.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I actually like Only Villains Do That because it was a bit more real and heavy than I was originally expecting. I can understand if that's not the kind of story people are looking for, though.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
It has its moments.

OVDT posted:

“Got it,” Yoshi said seriously, nodding at me. “You’ll probably get in position first, Omura, so I’ll move out once we’re in place.”

“I’ll be watching. Be safe and watch your back.”

“You too. Good luck.”

He turned and broke into a run—head down, arms back and to the sides, body tilted forward as he vanished into the darkness.

“Hey,” Flaethwyn grunted, staring after the departing Hero and not yet moving, “you’re from the same country. Why does he run like that?”

I couldn’t help it; all I could do was clap a hand over my mouth and manage not to howl out loud as the compulsive laughter took over me. For the first moments I couldn’t even run, just staggering away in the other direction and having to brace myself against the wall with my free hand.

“Yeah, ours can run like a normal person, but sometimes he does…this,” Adelly commented. “That Japan must be a real interesting place.”

Man, if Yoshi and I ever did get home, we owed everybody an apology. You could hardly find a worse pair of national representatives.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I adore OVDT. Readable prose, interesting worldbuilding, and I guess I just enjoy rear end in a top hat main characters/sassy banter because most of the sci fi fantasy I read features it (Brust’s Taltos series for example)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Yeah Only Villains Do That is good.

Also just read through the 20 chapters of Apocalypse Tamer, same goofy fun of Vainqueur.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I did enjoy it, but it was dragging and I dropped it. Good to hear it's going strong. Maybe I'll revisit it at some point.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Patrick Spens posted:

Baby steps, baby steps.

Edit: I've been reading Fox Tongue, and can someone help me sort out the Sung family tree? Aaron and Markus are both bastards of Duke Sung. The Lady Adelaide is the Duke's estranged wife who shacked up with the King, and is also somehow Markus' mother. Which, how is Markus a bastard then? Did the duke just adopt his wife's affair baby and claim Markus as his own son?

Markus was a legitimate bastard, meaning he was accepted by the family as being a Sung officially. That makes Adelaide his mother, politically speaking. Aristocracies are weird.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
Got it thank you.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hawkperson posted:

I adore OVDT. Readable prose, interesting worldbuilding, and I guess I just enjoy rear end in a top hat main characters/sassy banter because most of the sci fi fantasy I read features it (Brust’s Taltos series for example)

I like the banter in this case because yeah, I actually do expect someone like Seiji to talk like that. And everyone else matches his energy, or has their own reason to be anti-authority assholes all the time. It's almost a breathe of fresh air compared to your more usual attempt at that style where everyone sounds like they're in a Joss Whedon show because that's what the author learned dialogue from. Like, a lesser author would make EVERY character talk like that, not just Seiji, his close friends, and people with a similarly fatalistic outlook (like basically every lower class person in the story). For example the Kingsguard captain never talks like that, and neither do the Highlords. A shittier author would make everyone sound the same, and if you pick banter as the default tone it gets old so loving fast.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 27, 2022

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Also, just about every third author's note is basically "Seiji is a massive edgelord and doesn't know what the gently caress he's talking about and is massively out of his depth, this is not something that anyone should emulate"

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
OVDT: Yeah, there may be an occasional showtime or rant that overstays it's welcome but the dialog and character interactions are generally great.

Started reading Graven today and it's been solid so far. It's complete at about 50 chapters and POV jumps around between multiple supers.

Weird doorways appear around Earth and most who enter are never seen again but some people return with powers. Supers seem to be making a mess of the world and the largest force trying to keep things peaceful was just taken out. The first super is putting together a team to find out what just happened and why supers are going crazy/villainous.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Larry Parrish posted:

A shittier author would make everyone sound the same, and if you pick banter as the default tone it gets old so loving fast.

Oh God, so many web serial authors do this. Hell, plenty of published authors do this.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Joss Whedon's writing and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Joss Whedon's writing and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

i also love dirk gently's holistic detective agency and hitchhikers guide but Douglas Adams has many crimes to answer for as well. almost any book billing itself as a comedy apes his style and it's so loving bad in anyone else's hands lol. he has the witty banter but his style is more... zany, I guess. the book version of visual comedy.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Joss Whedon is a shithead and all but I dislike how people ascribe "quips and witty banter" (for some measure of "wit") as being a Whedonism. He didn't invent that! Shakespeare famously made heavy use of quips, puns, and crass humor! Which isn't to call Whedon a modern day Shakespeare or anything like that, but he's just the most well-known (and now-notorious) writer in recent memory to really (attempt to) go as all-in on the age-old formula as Willy S did.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Argue posted:

Joss Whedon is a shithead and all but I dislike how people ascribe "quips and witty banter" (for some measure of "wit") as being a Whedonism. He didn't invent that! Shakespeare famously made heavy use of quips, puns, and crass humor! Which isn't to call Whedon a modern day Shakespeare or anything like that, but he's just the most well-known writer in recent memory to really (attempt to) go as all-in on the age-old formula as Willy S did.
yeah whedon did it badly but the problem I see is people imitating buffy, not shakespeare

I do like Whedon's Much Ado tbh even though he is a poo poo

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the difference is Shakespeare was funny although you need a mountain of context to get most of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

the difference is Shakespeare was funny although you need a mountain of context to get most of it
Depends whether the actors make jerkoff motions or if you have to figure out if something is a dick joke on your own.

It's always a dick joke