Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's completely hosed. he'd been working full time for two years saving and didn't come close to affording a year's worth of expenses for school :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Already gone, what was it?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Annalise Dodds calling for the whips to investigate Sam tarry on the RMT pocket line

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

What does this quote even mean

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1552178119636836353?t=XGZyrDQ__mDaMDvjNzL5_g&s=19

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Like yeah the government should be sorting stuff out so people don't have to go on strike. But you're not the government. So you don't have to pretend you are the government, who are also telling striking workers to gently caress off. loving hell

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Jose posted:

So want to know how truly cursed higher education is in this country? A prominent left wing shitposter on twitter has killed themselves because they applied for uni and paid a grand deposit only to realise they wouldn't be able to afford cost of living . These deposits are to apply to a course if you get accepted

https://twitter.com/DanWei55/status/1552211927169892352?t=9GIA5Lx0sYOQ5-_P8A6doA&s=19

deposit for what lol?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you have to pay a non-refundable deposit to apply for these courses upon acceptance. Think its for fees

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

you have to pay a non-refundable deposit to apply for these courses upon acceptance. Think its for fees

yep and then they do some kind of financial check to make sure you can afford to live there while you study, and if they find you're poor they keep your thousand pounds.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

CoolCab posted:

yep and then they do some kind of financial check to make sure you can afford to live there while you study, and if they find you're poor they keep your thousand pounds.

How can this be legal? A deposit should be contingent on your action not your status (especially if arbitrarily judged). Feels like a uni could easily be sued for doing something like this

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Microplastics posted:

How can this be legal? A deposit should be contingent on your action not your status (especially if arbitrarily judged). Feels like a uni could easily be sued for doing something like this

hahahah

If it fucks over the poor its legal

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Microplastics posted:

unis completely don't give a gently caress anymore

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
think it's a foreign student thing too, who get hosed over even harder.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
His uncle posted on facebook (before they knew he had taken his life and were still hoping to find him) that he had been suffering from depression.
So sad, and he's just a kid (uncle also posted a photo).

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

CoolCab posted:

think it's a foreign student thing too, who get hosed over even harder.

i was about to say am i missing something, when have you had to put a deposit on going to uni

being a foreign student makes more sense

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Looke posted:

i was about to say am i missing something, when have you had to put a deposit on going to uni

Seems to be a fairly recent thing putting a non-refundable deposit down once you have been accepted on a course. ('Home' students, not just foreign students).
Certainly wasn't a thing when my latest nephew (currently 24yo) went to uni including a masters.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Looke posted:

it's also waaaaaay shittier when you're doing postgraduate or otherwise not under the auspices of the relatively lenient main student finance loans system. you have to take out private loans and poo poo to do your masters i think.

anyway we don't raise it flippantly this was the last thing he tweeted almost. poor bastard. this country is a piece of poo poo.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

wow wtf

how things have changed

loving awful stuff

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

like everything else in this lovely country its just become about extracting as much money as possible and gently caress everything else

https://twitter.com/Shaughna_P/status/1551945499456020484?s=20&t=6ohKG9Owr2WdYOgqam0TuA

Jose has issued a correction as of 11:51 on Jul 27, 2022

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/lizziedearden/status/1552047062866448389

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
they found a way to stop boris becoming pm for life:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/26/boris-johnson-tipped-become-next-secretary-general-nato/

if you read the article it's "some tory mps and some ukranian mps said yeah sure" so it's clearly an attempt to convince him to leave

gonadic io has issued a correction as of 12:30 on Jul 27, 2022

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

yeah gently caress it why not? just say whatever it doesn't matter. How many houses were they supposed to be building each year? How many hospitals? When was it we were going to have 100% fibre broadband? These targets are just to give you something to say during a campaign they're not a real thing you're going to do

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm glad Empress Truss is finally making murder illegal.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/wariotifo/status/1552257320117276674?t=joBAC0wBRk6NMVXtrZHTMA&s=19

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
sounds more like a precursor to piling public money into PMC’s to patrol the local neighborhoods when unattainable targets aren’t met.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
the one good thing is that since the PMCs will be distinctly british, they'll only exist on paper and any contracts will involve a bus company in Nepal instead of an actual PMC

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
thank goodness the police will soon have the power to stop the people like the *checks notes* serving, on duty, police officer

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

it dont matter posted:

yeah gently caress it why not? just say whatever it doesn't matter. How many houses were they supposed to be building each year? How many hospitals? When was it we were going to have 100% fibre broadband? These targets are just to give you something to say during a campaign they're not a real thing you're going to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JITpUxtji4s

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Edit is not reply innit

nawilo_420 has issued a correction as of 12:24 on Jul 28, 2022

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It's much worse here now as you can see

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

the british public will, unironically, fall over themselves to vote for whoever is most likely to make industrial action illegal

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

not sure thats true. the RMT strikes are pretty popular possibly because mick lynch is going on tv constantly and clowning on everyone but also everyone is feeling the cost of living increases which they are arguing well against

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

bitmap posted:

the british public will, unironically, fall over themselves to vote for whoever is most likely to make industrial action illegal

Yeah

Luckily all 3 possibilities for PM are very anti Union

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Is "a distinctly British approach to growing the economy" code for legalising nonce tourism or bringing back slavery?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
All British Supremes

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Is "a distinctly British approach to growing the economy" code for legalising nonce tourism or bringing back slavery?

imagine if they used the same tech they've got propping up er maj on jimmy savile

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
a fully-auto necrononce

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Jose posted:

not sure thats true. the RMT strikes are pretty popular possibly because mick lynch is going on tv constantly and clowning on everyone but also everyone is feeling the cost of living increases which they are arguing well against

i think they’re popular anyway, the only bad word i hear about they are Vox pops soundbites in the media, real people absolutely see them as justified

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I just a left a shoreditch coffee shop. It was packed with brits, whispering amongst each other about what a commendable job mick lynch did on the beeb -- the UK is PROUD!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol after all the shrieking of stalinism by rumours of MP deselections under corbyn they're going straight ahead trying to get rid of any left wing MP now

https://twitter.com/JamesEFoster/status/1552291813582569473?s=20&t=N8ddRf2bAlcUqyzTNkynoA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Jose posted:

Mick challenged grant shapps to trial by combat today