Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine is Abel
Nov 12, 2021

MassRafTer posted:

Because they sold DVDs from everywhere.

Ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itsnews
Jul 25, 2022
That website screenshot brings me all the way back.

I caught the very last showing of the very first PPV, Respect is Earned, in 2007. From there I was all in on this company. I was on the Wrestlecrap forums talking about it daily, it felt very cool and underground for a 14 year old.

Would check that website all the time waiting for the newest Newswire. And yes, Age of the Fall was the coolest thing imaginable for me at the time.

Don’t really have a reason for posting that. Just felt like reminiscing.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

itsnews posted:

Don’t really have a reason for posting that. Just felt like reminiscing.

It feels like a good time to reminisce since it feels like the start of a real reboot for the promotion.

Nut Bunnies posted a thread about Bryan Danielson in December of 2006 [December is Bryan Danielson Month!] and from there I ended up finding 4th Anniversary Show on Google Video and was just hooked.

2007 wasn't perfect but guys like Morishima / Danielson /McGuinness at the top, a Tag Division lead by the Briscoes who were in a great feud with Steen & Generico - and everyone else seemingly joining a faction (Resilience/No Remorse Corps/Vulture Squad/Age of the Fall/Sweet & Sour Inc./Hangmen 3). Just a really, really fun period.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i stopped watching wrestling in like 2002 or something and then i got back into it when benoit killed his family lol. joined #wh2k the only place to be and learned about roh, immediately pirated everything they'd ever done up to that point, and the live shows were building to man up & project 161 poo poo. MRT would be upset when I would say I'm watching kenta vs roderick strong and he knew i pirated it. but he also knew, oh that's from ROH Throwdown. Of course. Everybody knows that. Nothing like being completely invested.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

yea ok posted:

i stopped watching wrestling in like 2002 or something and then i got back into it when benoit killed his family lol.

You're on the juice, big time

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
ROH went out of business some time in 2009 and Tony has triumphantly revived it for us, the real fans

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

it went out of business when gabe got fired after his 14th 6 hour show in a row and then scrap daddy decided to go southern with it. thanks for the double count outs bro

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

gabe, you're really polarizing the audience with these long self indulgent shows. you're on thin ice pal

gabe: duly noted. anyways, it's 4 hours 45 minutes into the show, the subways have stopped running, and we'll need a 30 minute intermission to set up the cage for the 43 minute main event. thank you for your patience.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

gabe had boys out there mugging ppl after the shows. the later the better. but the matches were just unbeatable

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cavauro posted:

gabe had boys out there mugging ppl after the shows. the later the better. but the matches were just unbeatable

Hahaha

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

You knew Gabe was truly losing it when he was booking the title match like, i think either right before or after intermission bc he didn't want the crowd to be worn out by the time it went on.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HulkaMatt posted:

You knew Gabe was truly losing it when he was booking the title match like, i think either right before or after intermission bc he didn't want the crowd to be worn out by the time it went on.

Wasn't that how WWF did it during Bruno and Hogan?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

yea ok posted:

i stopped watching wrestling in like 2002 or something and then i got back into it when benoit killed his family lol. joined #wh2k the only place to be and learned about roh, immediately pirated everything they'd ever done up to that point, and the live shows were building to man up & project 161 poo poo. MRT would be upset when I would say I'm watching kenta vs roderick strong and he knew i pirated it. but he also knew, oh that's from ROH Throwdown. Of course. Everybody knows that. Nothing like being completely invested.

Need to check if KENTA offers cameos to have him curse you out for that.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if tk ever does a 49 minute 1 hour draw hes canceled.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Cavauro posted:

Lol

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

2007 is the most magical year for ROH to me because that’s the year I started watching the shows as they were happening. 2009-2015ish had some rough stuff in between but I wouldn’t trade having seen all of Steen/Generico, Jay Briscoe’s world title run, Lethal’s House Of Truth stuff, Mark Briscoe’s commercials, etc. for anything. That and 2012-2017 PWG are the most important time and places in wrestling to me.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I started in 06 and my first live show had Danielson vs Lance Storm for the ROH world title. That night was absolutely magical because my friends and I stopped watching wrestling after the WWE/WCW/ECW Invasion angle ended and now we had Actual Good Wrestling again. We ended up loving it so much that we made sure to get front row seats for every live show in Chicago after that

ROH also got me into Shimmer and the same thing happened there. It was awesome and introduced me to new international talent I had never seen before and of course that's the first place I saw women like Mercedez Martinez and Serena Deeb

Sadly I never really got into PWG but everything I've looked like it was really awesome

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

JOHN CENA posted:

OK, Green Lantern Fan.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JOHN CENA posted:

Tv time remaining baybee

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Edward Mass posted:

OK, Green Lantern Fan.

OMG I completely forgot about that dude lmao

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Cavauro posted:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Really didn’t get into ROH until the Sinclair days started since I cooled on wrestling from 03-09, but I went to a ton of shows from 13-17 and had a blast every time.

It obviously wasn’t as good as the glory days but there are a ton of hidden gems during those years that people missed out on.

I ended up buying like every dvd compilation they made and some bootleg stuff and flew through the peak years later on.

Without ROH being on my Sinclair station, I doubt I would’ve ever gotten into PWG or New Japan.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I saw Green Lantern Fan at Grand Slam.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

my first roh show live was a new level the first show at hammerstein but the first show i watched was hell freezes over after downloading it on limewire

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

fun match to think of: bryan danielson vs alex shelley from arena warfare

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

yea ok posted:

fun match to think of: bryan danielson vs alex shelley from arena warfare

Which was probably Danielson's second best defense to that point (behind the second Strong match)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

young roderick looks so weird today

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I watched Summer of Punk and a couple Bryan DVDs, bought a couple Morishima shows, but really didn’t fall I love until they started showing the TV show here. I really fell for it then because it had its humor and absurdity but most of the show was presented as pure sport and I liked that. It was also nice that there would be whole hours where not a single one of the wrestlers was older than me. I think Rush was on the show like maybe three times the whole period and I didn’t care. I guess I also only bought one PPV though so I was part of the reason it failed. But I was just really into the TV show.

Rick fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 28, 2022

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I went to Philly/NJ area indie shows from like mid 2002 until right around the Benoit deal.

First ROH show in person was Road to the Title. Had every show on DVD from the first through Final Battle 2006, sold them all on eBay to get my first HDTV.

I got to watch Liger in the US. The CZW/ROH feud. Both nights with Kobashi.

It was a great time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

blast0rama posted:

I went to Philly/NJ area indie shows from like mid 2002 until right around the Benoit deal.

First ROH show in person was Road to the Title. Had every show on DVD from the first through Final Battle 2006, sold them all on eBay to get my first HDTV.

I got to watch Liger in the US. The CZW/ROH feud. Both nights with Kobashi.

It was a great time.

How much weight did you sweat off in the 100+ degree heat of the Murphy Rec Center during Crowning a Champion?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

MassRafTer posted:

How much weight did you sweat off in the 100+ degree heat of the Murphy Rec Center during Crowning a Champion?

Some say wrestling nerd DNA can still be found in the Murphy Rec gymnasium floor.

Seriously, someone better run there during Mania weekend…

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My first ROH show was the first "Boston" show where we chanted "we're in Wakefield!" whenever they said anything about Boston. I think that was the third ever ROH show?

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

blast0rama posted:

Some say wrestling nerd DNA can still be found in the Murphy Rec gymnasium floor.

I only got to one of those shows, and I had to watch Xavier win the title, but it was still pretty memorable. Rode down in a cheap van rental that some dude in Boston rented and sold seats in. He stopped in Stamford along the way: “yeah, great, that’s the WWE building.”

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/wonf4w/status/1553008229650534401?s=21&t=fLFTgP1aEIh7yiiMoH9nBQ

Big W for ROH

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
hot drat, they nearly doubled Supercard of Honor

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Elephant Ambush posted:

OMG I completely forgot about that dude lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDYMiJ_BqIE

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Really solid. And gives them ammo when trying to land a profitable network deal.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

How does that compare to historical numbers and the various TNA/Impact no numbers?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i have but two numbers. Best in the World 2019 did 3,500 PPV buys and Death Before Dishonor 2019 did 800-1000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Maigius posted:

How does that compare to historical numbers and the various TNA/Impact no numbers?

It's the biggest ROH PPV ever.

G1 Supercard did 20,000+
Supercard this year did 18,000+

Various Sinclair era shows did 10-15,000. (And did much less towards the end. But I think a big Cody show did 15 and some of the early ones did 10.)

TNA PPVs during their hot period in 2005 did 25-30,000 buys without TV. That dropped to 25,000 as things slowed down.

They averaged 10,000 during the Russo era.

The overall biggest TNA PPVs were

Lockdown 2008 (Joe vs Angle 5) 70-80,000
Genesis 2006 (Joe vs Angle 1) 70,000