Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Well, my friend who has similar taste to me in fantasy horror kept gushing about these books so I bought Gideon, then Harrow 3 days later, and now I’m working on an Ianthe cosplay, I’ve written more words about my tabletop characters this week than I have in the last 3 months, my 401K is up, my teeth are straighter, and my bananas refuse to go bad. A+

Gideon was awesome, Harrow was a mindfuck. I want to plow through both of them again to see what I didn’t catch the first time around. gently caress. I can’t wait for Nona.

(Ianthe is the worst.)

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Luigi Thirty posted:

Ianthe cosplay

(Ianthe is the worst.)

:hmmyes:

Everything about this post, but this especially.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

As a 30-something dude who looks nothing like Taika Waititi, my only real cosplay option is Magnus Quinn. Fortunately he's the best, so if I ever have the opportunity I might actually do it.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Nona would be a great, "day 3 of con, checking out of the hotel and driving home later" costume. Comfy and casual

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

cptn_dr posted:

As a 30-something dude who looks nothing like Taika Waititi, my only real cosplay option is Magnus Quinn. Fortunately he's the best, so if I ever have the opportunity I might actually do it.

People finally stopped asking what high school I go to. I am 32. Dressing like prom ended 4 hours ago and you’ve finished most of a bottle of Stoli in your friend’s basement shouldn’t be too hard :v: the hard part will be the arm since I’m not any kind of visual artist. My hair is extremely long and straight, but also very red, which is another slight issue I’ll need to figure out unless I want to buzz it off and buy a pair of aviators.

Knowing the Tamsyn Muir Origin Story makes me feel much better about cranking out pages and pages of words for an audience of 5 people on the internet. All the dots fell into place from “this book sounds like a tabletop game” to “she wrote WHAT.”

Obnoxipus posted:

also according to the very cool and official house identification tool, i belong in the fourth house, which tracks, unfortunately.

Sixth which if you’ve ever spoken to me is the least surprising thing.

fake edit: I can’t sleep so I opened Gideon again now that I know where it’s all going. ”A necromantic gathering on a space station?” followed by a loredump about why that’s dumb because thanergy. Harrow threatening to mix bones into Griddle’s soup and punch her way out, which she admits is a plausible threat from her. :allears:

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 25, 2022

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I really want to buy a set of cover prints, but I've got two dozen other prints that need to be framed and not enough wall space for them, so buying more seems silly to me.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I'm definitely considering at least ONE of the covers, just not sure which one but I'm kind of leaning towards Harrow. I'd just have to find room on my wall amongst the Broadway posters lol

Speaking of covers, someone posted the Japanese edition covers on Reddit and I thought they were pretty neat. The Japanese title is translated as Gideon: Cavalier of the Ninth House

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheNinthHouse/comments/w49o4l/generalgideon_the_ninth_was_published_in_japan/

I like the artwork overall but it's a shame they didn't keep the skull makeup, since that was one of the more striking features on the Gideon cover-- the skull face paint and the sunglasses. Japanese marketing for English language novels are kind of interesting in what they decide to focus on. I'd be curious to know if they added illustrations on the inside and if they're trying to market this more as a Light Novel.

God, don't even get me started on ideas I had for a Locked Tomb manga

EDIT: Someone is live tweeting their read of the Japanese language version. Only up to chapter 6 but there's some interesting translation choices. This book is probably incredibly challenging to translate in to a language like Japanese

https://twitter.com/bootlegmonster/status/1550235382134018050?s=21&t=o-b1Z1RSem4qzp-_rAw6Dg

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 26, 2022

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I just really want a nice, fancy boxed set when they’re all out, but I know I’ll miss the chance.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ornamented Death posted:

You'll be all right.

There are black-edged Harrows, either the Illumicrate edition or some copies sent to indie book stores. They're on Ebay, but are a pricey at this point.

Quoting myself.

Though one of the Harrow hardcovers has been replaced by the TPB.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I'm super jealous of those Subterranean Press editions

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Made me laugh. Someone on reddit referenced the Best dril tweet

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheNinthHouse/comments/w9jrea/meme_another_day_another_dead_chick/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Opportunity for the Yanks among us

https://twitter.com/TorDotComPub/status/1552292730256035847?t=7Po5L6JvEvpx-tJOkNe8ng&s=19

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Oh no if I won that I would be forced to immediately read it, neglecting my finals entirely :cripes: :cripes: :qq:

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 28, 2022

mewse
May 2, 2006

Man if I still had twitter...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

No Québec!? Truly we are opressed.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/Cptn_Dr/status/1553566715967320064
I made a Locked Tomb drink and I think I'm insufferably clever.
Edit: This post is how I realised that I drilled a hole in the wrong eye socket when I made my 7th House skull.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

That is cool as hell and I need to know how that tastes :stare:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

It was delicious! Slightly more herbaceous than your standard Corpse Reviver #2 thanks to the Strega, and because I used Noilly Prat instead of Lilet Blanc or Cocchi Americano, all the other flavours came to the fore a little better. There was still some aniseed taste because of the star anise floating in it, too. I'm just an amateur enthusiast so I dunno if anyone would ever serve it at a bar, but the pun was good and it quenched my thirst, so I'll call that a win.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

It looks really good and I love that the color is somewhat bone-colored! That's super neat!

You know the next step, right? Themed cocktails for all the Houses :grin:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've avoided tats my whole life because I never had anything worthwhile enough to make it a permanent etching on my skin, but dang if Gideon didn't come along when I finally decided to transition and make me feel okay about it. Been thinking of something simple like an IX and a skull above it. The series is great. I got the Nona preview, but I think I'll hold off until it's out because I don't want to make the wait worse

Also jealous of that poster that has the locked tomb fancy shelf with all the books because theirs is a lot more rad than mine

e: is it unusual that a series is catnip to weirdos? I haven't gotten in to a series since harry potter in high school and that was more at the time it was a decent series to keep up with that wasn't twilight (pps gently caress jk rowling, obviously)

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 31, 2022

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

e: is it unusual that a series is catnip to weirdos? I haven't gotten in to a series since harry potter in high school and that was more at the time it was a decent series to keep up with that wasn't twilight (pps gently caress jk rowling, obviously)

as a certified trans weirdo anxiously awaiting my hamburger shirt,

I think it’s about it being in an Extremely Online tone and weirdos like us being Extremely Online. Or something. I definitely feel Weird Feelings about Harrow (HtN) doing the thing she did for her own good given I probably would have done something like that to lock it away before I had time to process any of my own gender poo poo that I had just realized years ago

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 31, 2022

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Robo Reagan posted:

I've avoided tats my whole life because I never had anything worthwhile enough to make it a permanent etching on my skin, but dang if Gideon didn't come along when I finally decided to transition and make me feel okay about it. Been thinking of something simple like an IX and a skull above it. The series is great. I got the Nona preview, but I think I'll hold off until it's out because I don't want to make the wait worse

Also jealous of that poster that has the locked tomb fancy shelf with all the books because theirs is a lot more rad than mine

Locked tomb seems to have really *grabbed* a bunch of folks yeah. I'd say it's unusual for books, but fandoms for, say, marvel or Buffy or stuff like that has been a thing and some of those fandoms were similar in group makeup, maybe?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It's basically made for disaffected kids who grew up on Harry Potter, which is not me, and also disaffected kids who grew up hating Harry Potter and enjoy a good roast of the magical prep school teen genre, which is definitely me

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

And also disillusioned former Homestucks

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

cptn_dr posted:

https://twitter.com/Cptn_Dr/status/1553566715967320064
I made a Locked Tomb drink and I think I'm insufferably clever.
Edit: This post is how I realised that I drilled a hole in the wrong eye socket when I made my 7th House skull.

That is an excellent pun as the Corpse Reviver #2 is a great drink to parody off of

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
So they mentioned in the podcast that Muir had read and drew inspiration from the Gormenghast books for her own work, and I picked up Titus Groan from the library out of curiosity.

It is a trip and a half, although much more atmospheric than plot driven.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

And also disillusioned former Homestucks

That one's me.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Tor just posted a new House quiz

https://twitter.com/TorDotComPub/status/1554907579461115907?s=20&t=1VXwZs88jU_OdjP9_522sg

Edit: These questions are amazing

Edit: Sixth House lmao

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 3, 2022

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I got Third House, I am ashamed but not surprised.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'm ninth. Gotta be the color (no purple or pink?????) and hiding and poo poo like that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fifth. Maybe it was Pumpkin Hill yo?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

quote:

FOURTH HOUSE
Wow. Congratulations on your main character syndrome

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Fourth again! lovely teen Noble scion

Cmon man look at my av DID I STUTTER

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Sixth again because I can’t stop being the goddamn nerd who’s too smart for her own good. Now back to digging through 45-year-old manuals to figure out how this computer works

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
seventh :ohdear:

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Fourth House just like the older quiz had it. gently caress yeah, gonna be a lovely teen when I grow up!

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Sixth. I bet it was the ‘let me Google it real quick’ answer.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Fourth, twice, even when I chose a few different answers, it's apparently just ingrained in me.

mewse
May 2, 2006

2nd house again :shobon:

quote:

SECOND HOUSE
The good news is that everyone in the Houses swoons over a cohort uniform. The bad news is that you've just been assigned cop at birth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh they start of good right off the bat.

And the music question had me burst out laughing with the options.

quote:

FOURTH HOUSE
Wow. Congratulations on your main character syndrome

WELP.

And then Second House on a retake after swapping a couple of answers.

Otoh I did realize that the Hozier song is pretty good. :v:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 4, 2022