Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Telecom team migrated all of our teams telephony numbers from Microsoft to another provider yesterday. Everything went perfectly smooth, hit the expected downtime window, etc.

Except that the teams dial-in number for audio-only was accidentally ported too, so now nobody can call in to a teams meeting using the primary number for existing meetings. Any new ones going out? It doesn’t even add the audio pstn number now. Oops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

[My ex-wife was the worst to do tech support for. She'd call me and say something like "My computer is glitching!" "Okay, what's it doing" "It's glitching!"

I'd even ask "What are you trying to do and what is it doing instead" and it would take like five times to get her to explain it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

[My ex-wife was the worst to do tech support for. She'd call me and say something like "My computer is glitching!" "Okay, what's it doing" "It's glitching!"

I'd even ask "What are you trying to do and what is it doing instead" and it would take like five times to get her to explain it.

Oh, I see you've met my users.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

It was such an eye-opener that now I can just ask my mother to video call me and just film the computer screen whenever she's having trouble. Bless smartphones.

Incidentally, the last time I had to help her out, it was printer-related.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my wife gets mad when I use my "user" voice

doesn't stop her from asking questions

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Fool posted:

my wife gets mad when I use my "user" voice

doesn't stop her from asking questions

I may be guilty of this as well.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Arquinsiel posted:

This was your fault for not making a YourName.Here​@​company.butts user to use for the demo.
I'm at a big state agency and I'm only in charge of some of the desktops, I don't have the access to make a dummy account. What I really should do now is use this as justification for why I need my job to pay for a Photoshop subscription.

And in the users' defense, I think their thought process is that they're putting my name in because they're directing the ticket to me, not that they're just blindly copying the screenshot. I think they're just skimming the guide and not reading the "your name here" instructions next to the picture, they're just thinking they want to send me a ticket > this picture has my name in it > put my name here to send the ticket to me.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Pretty sure you don’t need photoshop to put a white box and text on a screenshot. Try one of the dozen free screenshot apps.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Check out Greenshot. And yeah, you never want to put your info on a screenshot that's going into a tutorial.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
The new-ish default Window Snip-n-Share can do simple things like that, no third-party tools required.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I still can't fathom how windows updated snip and share and didn't include the native ability to draw a circle or an arrow. Just let me circle something without having to use my mouse to draw it freehand, drat

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's weird what gets updated and what doesn't. Just did a new install of windows 11, using it really for the first time, and I noticed Notepad follows your general windows theme now, so if you are in dark mode, notepad.exe is white-on-dark too, but wordpad.exe is the same as it ever was, black-on-white always.

Why is it anyway that OS designers have decided that wide taskbar icons that show the whole title of the window are bad and everything should be shrunk down to icons? They pushed it in Win10 but now it's mandatory in Win11.

And the worst Windows default of all time persists for yet another Windows version: "Hide extensions for known file types". At least you can still turn THAT off.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, Snip and Share doesn't have enough features for me. When I take a screenshot I want it to instantly open into a lightweight image editor. I don't know why they didn't put a little more work into. I've been having to use it as Greenshot isn't approved software at my new place and it is driving me crazy.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Snip works perfectly for snipping insane tickets and sending them to friends

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I like sharex

it's basically greenshot + some workflow stuff and can also capture gifs

being able to snip a region, annotate it with step markers or arrows, blur sensitive info, then put it on your clipboard and save it at the same time is almost a super power

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

The Fool posted:

I like sharex

it's basically greenshot + some workflow stuff and can also capture gifs

being able to snip a region, annotate it with step markers or arrows, blur sensitive info, then put it on your clipboard and save it at the same time is almost a super power

Seconding sharex. Bonus points if you can use the arrows/rectangles/highlighter in a "helpful" way that is 100% sarcastic.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I do like the clipboard history that goes back pretty much forever. But the god drat icons in the taskbar are too big. I miss being able to make them small.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, Snip and Share doesn't have enough features for me. When I take a screenshot I want it to instantly open into a lightweight image editor. I don't know why they didn't put a little more work into. I've been having to use it as Greenshot isn't approved software at my new place and it is driving me crazy.

The MacOS screenshot tool is generally good for this, I'd love some sort of compromise where it dumps the image into your clipboard instead of saving a file to the Desktop though, if you don't want it saved.

It's annoying that there isn't a universally accepted solution for this yet.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

bell jar posted:

The MacOS screenshot tool is generally good for this, I'd love some sort of compromise where it dumps the image into your clipboard instead of saving a file to the Desktop though, if you don't want it saved.

The recent behavior is that it shows it to you in a thumbnail in the lower right corner so you can grab it and drag it into email or Slack or whatever, and if you do that it doesn't save it to the Desktop. If you don't, the thumbnail goes away after a few seconds and it goes to the Desktop.

What I am personally starting to get really alarmed/aggravated about is how everybody I interact with uses screenshots all the time — and they are all thoroughly marked-up, with red circles and arrows and highlighter marks everywhere, and they create these screenshots instantly. They're using Macs, so they have the same tools I have, but ... when I go to mark up a screenshot that I've just taken, if I open it in Preview and open the Markup toolbar, it's a bunch of irritating esoteric tools from the 90s Illustrator aesthetic, like you have to pick the stroke color and fill color independently from little palettes, and set your arrowhead length and width and so on. I mean I can do all that, but my issue is that I cannot believe that everyone is doing it, and doing it so consistently. I don't know how to explain this properly — I even ranted about it on a meeting today and everyone just kind of looked at me chuckling like I was an old man. And maybe that's it! But my point is that everyone's use of screenshots is so pervasive and so effortless and so consistent with each other's usage that I feel like I must be missing some obvious tool or shortcut that they're all using, some version of the Preview markup pane that has just a big button for HIGHLIGHTER and another button for RED ARROW 50PX x 2X and another button for RED OVAL. I can't even find those controls or combinations of settings, but they all seem to have them bound to hotkeys so they can whip out a picture in 5 seconds and paste it to me in Slack so I can try to hand-retype a URL with a GUID in it because everyone would far rather paste a marked-up screenshot than copy-pasting a loving text string GOD drat IT.

e: like I'll ask them for the URL and 2 seconds later they're like

and I ask them to please paste the URL and they go "lol ok" and paste it after five minutes of "..."

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 23, 2022

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

they're probably using greenshot or flameshot

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

but that magic power you're describing is what I do with sharex

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Y'all aren't just using Win-Shift-S and IrFanView? Because that's what I'm using. Paste screenshot, F12, draw circle, ctrl-A + ctrl-C, paste into Skype

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Having to load a separate program is more effort than I can be bothered with usually. ShareX is ctrl+PrintScreen, select the region, draw ellipse or highlight whatever, hit enter. Then I get a copy in my screenshots folder, a copy in my clipboard, and a copy uploaded to my ftp server.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I have irfanview pinned to the taskbar so it's just Win+4 to open it, and it's lightweight enough that it loads instantly.

Entropic posted:

Why is it anyway that OS designers have decided that wide taskbar icons that show the whole title of the window are bad and everything should be shrunk down to icons? They pushed it in Win10 but now it's mandatory in Win11.

There's a lot of reasons I won't upgrade to 11 yet but this is the dealbreaker for me. I don't want to have to hover, wait 2 seconds for the window previews to show up, and then hover over each of them for a second or two to see which of the 14 word documents (or excel sheets, or chrome windows, or explorer folders, etc.) I have open is the one I want to switch to. Task view at least makes that somewhat less painful but I'll switch the taskbar to show individual buttons with window titles on any machine I have control over.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

bell jar posted:

Add in Control to the keyboard shortcut (so CTRL+CMD+SHIFT+3/4) and it goes to the clipboard instead of a file.

You can also change settings like the floating thumbnail/remove the delay/save location from the Screenshot app. Everything in the Options dropdown under the capture area is a global setting and saves as soon as you change it.

Preview also has quick shapes for circle/square/line/arrow/etc in the markup section.

I get really grumpy when I can’t use a Mac for writing documentation.

E: In case you don’t already know you can press the spacebar after CMD+SHIFT+4 to take screenshots of specific windows.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 23, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Entropic posted:

It's weird what gets updated and what doesn't. Just did a new install of windows 11, using it really for the first time, and I noticed Notepad follows your general windows theme now, so if you are in dark mode, notepad.exe is white-on-dark too, but wordpad.exe is the same as it ever was, black-on-white always.
Notepad's ctrl+z and ctrl+y now follows the usual conventions instead of being a weirdass toggle. The find box is a little more streamlined too. Possibly the first feature updates it has gotten since Windows 3.11 or earlier.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Mercurius posted:

Add in Control to the keyboard shortcut (so CTRL+CMD+SHIFT+3/4) and it goes to the clipboard instead of a file.

You can also change settings like the floating thumbnail/remove the delay/save location from the Screenshot app. Everything in the Options dropdown under the capture area is a global setting and saves as soon as you change it.

Preview also has quick shapes for circle/square/line/arrow/etc in the markup section.

I get really grumpy when I can’t use a Mac for writing documentation.

E: In case you don’t already know you can press the spacebar after CMD+SHIFT+4 to take screenshots of specific windows.

:aaaaa: thank you for this post

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Arquinsiel posted:

Notepad's ctrl+z and ctrl+y now follows the usual conventions instead of being a weirdass toggle. The find box is a little more streamlined too. Possibly the first feature updates it has gotten since Windows 3.11 or earlier.

Does it understand other line endings now?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've not noticed any change there, but it's possible that I'm just not copy-pasting enough varied line endings for it to affect me.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

i technically have a job where i take tickets now

i was hired off of craigslist to be a remote network tech for a wireless isp, i am completely unqualified for the position but have been learning on the job and its fully remote which is really nice
the downside is that this place merged their network techs and their customer service so that "customers can talk to people who know what's going on", so along with fixing issues we also have to take the calls which really cuts into the "fixing issues" time

why are so many people so bad at configuring their routers? half of my job boils down to sshing into a cisco device, verifying that connectivity is in fact functional up to the handoff to the customer, and then having to tell them that they didn't configure their router correctly and thus need to reconfigure it

so far the funniest ticket has been some CEO guy who refuses to personally move a cable across 2 ports on a device in his building and demands that we send out techs to set it up for him, even after we drew him a helpful diagram showing him what port he needs to plug it into and everything

the least funny ticket is the outage that's going on because someone stole all our equipment we had on top of a building, and we didn't get to find out until like a week after it happened because the people who owned the building kept demanding more and more elaborate paperwork for us to get up to the roof and investigate an outage

apparently people stealing our networking equipment is a common enough occurrence we've got protocol for it, but like, still, we have to replace all that poo poo now

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Iamgoofball posted:

i technically have a job where i take tickets now

i was hired off of craigslist to be a remote network tech for a wireless isp, i am completely unqualified for the position but have been learning on the job and its fully remote which is really nice
the downside is that this place merged their network techs and their customer service so that "customers can talk to people who know what's going on", so along with fixing issues we also have to take the calls which really cuts into the "fixing issues" time

why are so many people so bad at configuring their routers? half of my job boils down to sshing into a cisco device, verifying that connectivity is in fact functional up to the handoff to the customer, and then having to tell them that they didn't configure their router correctly and thus need to reconfigure it

so far the funniest ticket has been some CEO guy who refuses to personally move a cable across 2 ports on a device in his building and demands that we send out techs to set it up for him, even after we drew him a helpful diagram showing him what port he needs to plug it into and everything

the least funny ticket is the outage that's going on because someone stole all our equipment we had on top of a building, and we didn't get to find out until like a week after it happened because the people who owned the building kept demanding more and more elaborate paperwork for us to get up to the roof and investigate an outage

apparently people stealing our networking equipment is a common enough occurrence we've got protocol for it, but like, still, we have to replace all that poo poo now

oh also one other downside, there's no training, i got a quick rundown of the internal websites i'd need from my supervisor and then just got thrown in the deep end with calls immediately afterwards, and there is zero reimbursement for any kind of paid education on networking or certs or anything so anything I want to learn to do job-critical stuff like "how do i actually configure cisco routers" I need to do on my own time, pay out of pocket for, or ask my coworkers to teach me

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The CCNA R&S cert is absolutely worth investing in yourself for, regardless of what direction you want to go in. You will learn a lot of foundational network concepts when studying for it, and the guide books will cost you maybe $60 off Amazon or whatever.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Iamgoofball posted:

oh also one other downside, there's no training, i got a quick rundown of the internal websites i'd need from my supervisor and then just got thrown in the deep end with calls immediately afterwards, and there is zero reimbursement for any kind of paid education on networking or certs or anything so anything I want to learn to do job-critical stuff like "how do i actually configure cisco routers" I need to do on my own time, pay out of pocket for, or ask my coworkers to teach me
No, learning job critical things are things you (legally) can and should do on company time, even if you do it after your scheduled time. https://webapps.dol.gov/elaws/whd/flsa/hoursworked/screenEr16.asp

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

I still can't fathom how windows updated snip and share and didn't include the native ability to draw a circle or an arrow. Just let me circle something without having to use my mouse to draw it freehand, drat

:same:
SMH

Iamgoofball posted:

That kind of smells like maybe they were involved and wanted to hide it as long as possible, but maybe they're just assholes.
Shouldn't your company have negotiated some sort of contract demanding access when they put their equipment up there?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

It always annoys the poo poo out of me when they take a perfectly good thing like the snipping tool and make a new version with a random assortment of features instead of just updating the one that works already that most of the user base is familiar with.

I use shutter currently and just snip stuff from my VDI instead of using snipping tool anymore.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Iamgoofball posted:

In fairness, I do not ever touch the ISP end of things, whatsoever, never not once in a million years, they can't put that evil and liability (internal and external) on me. I will go to my grave with the ability to honestly answer, "No sir I have never touched the ISP poo poo, not once, we never have, regardless of pressure, they will be incapable of pinning this on us today, yesterday, and until the heat death of Earth in 2027"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
A ticket came in.

CX is inquiring regarding getting a job with the company.

Somehow this went up to the second level of escalations before someone said, what in the actual gently caress?

Our new call center is astonishingly awful. They've been distributing our internal phone numbers to customers to the point that my VP has gotten involved and it's not getting any better.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Have you tried telling them "Bad boy!" yet?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Renegret posted:

A ticket came in.

Somehow this went up to the second level of escalations before someone said, what in the actual gently caress?

Our new call center is astonishingly awful. They've been distributing our internal phone numbers to customers to the point that my VP has gotten involved and it's not getting any better.

Gotta start distributing those SVP and other high exec numbers if you want things to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Renegret posted:

A ticket came in.

When I worked in a bank call centre, branches started doing this. All the letters saying "Hey, you missed a loan payment" were "signed" by the centre manager of the area that looked after your account, and some branches started looking up that person's direct line and giving it to customers instead of either calling the branch helpline number or giving the customer the actual number for the call centre.

The centre manager had no access whatsoever to do anything with any customers account because they were a senior manager, not a frontline worker drone, so all this amounted to was a sulky, lazy branch worker adding three more steps to a customer's attempt to sort their account out.