Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Extremely funny that the first thing that happened to Domon when he went to Russia was getting thrown in a gulag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just saw them announcing models for Thunderbolt's 10th anniversary and felt myself dissolving into ash

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh poo poo Domon said the thing about his hand!

E: So is Domon going back and forth between the colonies and Earth at this point? Like, the series started in normal Italy, but this episode was in Neo-Russia and not Normal Russia, right?

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 28, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i was so hyped about klk until the first transformation scene.

Nobody cares about Kill la Kill anymore, everybody's into Live A Live now.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Waffleman_ posted:

Extremely funny that the first thing that happened to Domon when he went to Russia was getting thrown in a gulag.

Gulag mommy does not get get enough representation in those "hot ladies of Gundam" posters

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

War and Pieces posted:

Gulag mommy does not get get enough representation in those "hot ladies of Gundam" posters

https://twitter.com/Merk_Gang/status/1552449648085929985?s=20&t=nfkg2kOzALM-ZxQCz_lNog

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like how the original version of that meme has made people believe that Gundam's message is purely that war is bad, when really it's kind of the starting point to what it has to say about war because it trusts that you're smart enough to know that yes of course war is bad

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

War and Pieces posted:

Argo basically had the DM running the game that was his life go 'you have been captured by a brutal totalitarian state, let's see what they do to you' and proceeded to roll a natural 20.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Argo's entire situation is weird as hell because on the one hand he's a repentant and remorseful criminal who is pushed into combat under threat of his friends getting tortured/executed, and he's constantly restrained and under guard, but on the other hand the man fuckin' loves fighting and martial arts and gets super into it so as the series goes on it starts to become extremely questionable if they really need Commissar Dominatrix giving him orders.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

E: So is Domon going back and forth between the colonies and Earth at this point? Like, the series started in normal Italy, but this episode was in Neo-Russia and not Normal Russia, right?

No, the gulag is in Normal Russia

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

People who are playing the NA beta test for a Gundam-themed overwatch clone are going to self-select for 0079 grognards just as a matter of fact.

Couple this with the fact that any place anime is discussed is likely to have at least one Gundam grog lurking about to point new viewers in the direction of 0079... yeah, it's not a huge mystery.

Waffleman_ posted:

So G Gundam flips the script and has the colonies ruling over Earth from space. For as much as they give a poo poo about Earth beyond "good place to fight mechs" anyway. So Neo Italy owns whatever is within Normal Italy's borders. Everything takes place on Earth, in the Neo-Japan colony, or in the space between, and the latter two are very much the exceptions to the Earth-bound rule.

Kanos posted:

Argo's entire situation is weird as hell because on the one hand he's a repentant and remorseful criminal who is pushed into combat under threat of his friends getting tortured/executed, and he's constantly restrained and under guard, but on the other hand the man fuckin' loves fighting and martial arts and gets super into it so as the series goes on it starts to become extremely questionable if they really need Commissar Dominatrix giving him orders.

I'm reasonably certain one of them specifically asked to be there. Less comedically, Nastacha more or less just says what Argo wants later on anyway once its clear he's into it. I really don't recall her giving him orders beyond the start of the Guiana Highlands arc. The only time they're ever in disagreement is if the government is handing down orders Argo feels sketch about. And even then it's very much "I'm ordering you because I have to not because I want to."

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Waffleman_ posted:

I like how the original version of that meme has made people believe that Gundam's message is purely that war is bad, when really it's kind of the starting point to what it has to say about war because it trusts that you're smart enough to know that yes of course war is bad

the original version of that meme was supposed to be like a joke between two friends but it got accidentally made too good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's an exceptionally good meme, yes

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1552850491054247936?t=w5MjsKieHN00c8o-t5dsMg&s=19

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

that tracks

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

that tracks

Doing some quick math, Doan made about twice as much as G-Reco per day, on average. And considering G-Reco's numbers are all for the opening weekend, when sales tend to be strongest... yeah.

Looking up the performance for other Gundam films, G-Reco doesn't just fall below the dedicated theatrical releases like Hathaway and Narrative, but the Origin movies, which barely were in theaters at all. If it's only getting a one weekend run, then we're looking at less money than the 0083 compilation.

Saw someone claiming that the financial success of the G-Reco movies got them a go-ahead. Combining this with the DVD sales, I'm going to have to say that person is full of poo poo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm hoping they get a US release.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
give us the prologue already

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

They just announced Gundam 2

https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1552854564713377792?t=8dZ7Mqlg732T9XPqilaJuA&s=19

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

They just announced Gundam 2

Gundam II came out in 1981, though. It was called "Soldiers of Sorrow". Gundam III was Encounters in Space.

This, logically, would be Gundam IV.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I just saw them announcing models for Thunderbolt's 10th anniversary and felt myself dissolving into ash

If it makes you feel any better, that is for the manga. You still have a few years before the animatrd stuff.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

has there been any word about a US release of doan's island?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

With CCA getting released and plus plus the frontier movies you'd think someone would be trying to get Doan and the reco movies on the big screen. There ain't poo poo coming out for the rest of the year so now would be a great time.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

With CCA getting released and plus plus the frontier movies you'd think someone would be trying to get Doan and the reco movies on the big screen. There ain't poo poo coming out for the rest of the year so now would be a great time.

Doan, maybe. But G-Reco feels much less likely. The films didn't do particularly well in Japan, they've been out for a while, including for free on youtube, and the show's not available for streaming. Making a convincing argument for jumping through the licensing hoops could be tricky.

Meanwhile, Gundam 00, episode 15 Victory Song of the Resistance was somehow even emptier than the already pretty thin previous couple of episodes. The protagonists were confirmed to have killed an Innovade, which was still shocking to the Innovades even though Setsuna had kicked their asses at least twice.

We also get the subplot with Sergei's newly introduced old friend taking on AEUG duties since Katharon is so terrible at it, but he's mostly just highlighting how little the protagonists have accomplished, and how they don't even have a plan to accomplish things. They're fighting the A-Laws, but where AEUG had Blex arguing in the assembly and extensive support in the Federation army, climaxing in Char's Quattro's Dakar speech, there's basically nothing for Katharon. Oh, they have an endless supply of mooks ready to explode so it looks like fights have stakes, but their political aims are vaguely "overthrow the federation" without a clear path towards the goal, beyond hoping that the Gundams will solve all their problems. (Previous plan: Hope random orphans will solve all problems). A huge chunk of screentime is spent on characters who the writers seem to have no ideas for, while new characters need to be introduced to do what the protagonists can't be assed to.

I can see why 00 Gundam season 2 frustrated so many people back in the day.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Let's make this the Gundam manga everyone wants an anime of

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

What licensing hoops, Bandai licenses Gundam themselves.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Is the Gundam getting dipped in the Terminator 2 reference made of plastic? It sure looks like it is.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So did the lady that got executed, impaled and dropped into lava revive?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Is the Gundam getting dipped in the Terminator 2 reference made of plastic? It sure looks like it is.

That’s just how Luna Titanium melts.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's an Inoue manga, as a tokusatsu fan I'd be disappointed if it wasn't weird.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Doan, maybe. But G-Reco feels much less likely. The films didn't do particularly well in Japan, they've been out for a while, including for free on youtube, and the show's not available for streaming. Making a convincing argument for jumping through the licensing hoops could be tricky.

i feel like the bigger problem is that they aren't done

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The first two Greco movies got releases in America, sort of. In that the Japanese bluray releases were available to buy directly from Rightstuf. They were a hundred dollars each and had English subs for the movie but not for any of the special features. We don't have any sales date, but I suspect they did not sell well.

So maybe they'll use that to say "hey, we tried. Americans don't give a poo poo" and the movies never get any real release in America. Or maybe once they're all out we'll get a bargain box set of all 5 movies for like 150 bucks. The latter seems more likely, mainly because Rightstuf does seem committed to putting out all Gundam stuff on Bluray in America. They did Gundam X and the AGE movies for christ's sake.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

The same "buy the Japanese movie Blu-rays at big prices" approach has happened in the UK with Gundam and Love Live movies, and those have always had reasonably priced domestic releases down the line, so I'd expect people who aren't big enough G-Reco fans to pay £500 for it will have their chance here and in the US after all the movies are out. That's how it worked for The Origin if I'm remembering right.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

1st Stage Midboss posted:

The same "buy the Japanese movie Blu-rays at big prices" approach has happened in the UK with Gundam and Love Live movies, and those have always had reasonably priced domestic releases down the line, so I'd expect people who aren't big enough G-Reco fans to pay £500 for it will have their chance here and in the US after all the movies are out. That's how it worked for The Origin if I'm remembering right.

Unicorn also had that kinda thing going on for awhile until it was all done.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Netflix'll probably get them when they're all done or something.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
In G Gundam ep. 9, when we find out Space Mexico is a sombrero-shaped astroid 10 seconds in, I went ahead and skipped to the next episode. What vital plot points did I miss out on?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pneub posted:

In G Gundam ep. 9, when we find out Space Mexico is a sombrero-shaped astroid 10 seconds in, I went ahead and skipped to the next episode. What vital plot points did I miss out on?

Domon meets Neo Mexico's fighter, who's on the run because he just wants to skip out on the fight to allow his dying kid sister to live out her last days in comfort by the ocean. The Neo-Mexican authorities don't like that, and send acquatic suits to bring him in, but Domon challenges him to a Gundam fight first. A gundam fight.... TO THE DEATH!

(And then that lets the Neo Mexican Gundam fighter fake his death and live peacefully.)

The main implications for the wider plot come from Domon and Chibodee hanging out again.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Neo Mexico aquatic suit owns, lowkey one of my favorite designs.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

The Neo Mexico aquatic suit owns, lowkey one of my favorite designs.

He's just a little guy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It should've been the Pescatore instead of the Capule in Turn A