Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Khanstant posted:

Haha I was going to ask if any of the exocraft were good actually. I used the buggy thing on my gamespass save sometimes bc it was faster than walking but haven't built it in my current save

I like the fully-kitted motorcycle as "the one that feels the fastest", the truck used to get more use as a convenient backpack before a bunch of QOL changes that increased ship inventory sizes/made it easier to pull from freighter deep storage. Minotaur isn't bad and they improved the handling some, plus you get free 100% hazard protection on it unlike the other exocraft. Nautilus is, as mentioned, the nautilus.

Khanstant posted:

Re underwater base... can you even take off from it or will you always be needing to build some weird tower with a landing dock on top or just warp in and out? Ships seem like they should get a module for underwater.

Ships can take off from underwater just fine, so you can just toss a landing pad down anywhere and summon ships to it. The trick is that on takeoff your ship will snap to the surface, so you'll only need a landing pad above the water if you intend on ever approaching the base without teleporting directly to it.

dwarf74 posted:

The exocraft scanners (once you research the good ones) are way better than yours. Use the quick menu to find all the poo poo. Minotaur is worse than the others, unfortunately, but still better than yours.

the local blip-scan, yeah, but god I wish you could use the analysis visor in exocraft instead of hopping in and out all the time trying to figure out where a good S-class node is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost
Just jumping in to the expedition after last playing a couple years ago. I'm having the freighter refinery lose my resources when it's going and I walk around the ship to do other stuff. Not always, but often enough that I have to sit there watching it now. Any fix for this, or other good money making strategies for the early game?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ughhhh posted:

i meant, i cant scan flora and fauna while in my robo or hoverbike. unless i have missed this feature this whole time...
Ah okay, got it.

Yeah I agree the analysis visor sure would be nice in a craft.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Vikings posted:

Just jumping in to the expedition after last playing a couple years ago. I'm having the freighter refinery lose my resources when it's going and I walk around the ship to do other stuff. Not always, but often enough that I have to sit there watching it now. Any fix for this, or other good money making strategies for the early game?

No to the former, it's a bug that's A Perpetual Thing

If you're doing it because you're doing the old refinery cycling stuff to make more chlorine or cobalt or whatever, save yourself the headache and just dupe something expensive in portable refineries. If you want "legitimate" cash, buying stuff from outlaw systems and selling it in non-outlaw systems is probably the fastest approach, with seed money from storm crystals or something if necessary.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

"Being underwater at all" in this game is miserable for numerous reasons and I usually try to avoid it at all costs. If pressed, the hovercraft can get you to a location above water faster and the minotaur lets you treat being underwater basically like being on land, even if that's at the cost of being in the minotaur.

That one mission string where it gave you a Nautilus and wanted you to pilot it to half a dozen random underwater spots miles apart at 13u/s (without even being able to look around at the scenery, since the exocraft controls are total garbage and you can't drive one direction while looking in another) was the most miserable experience I've had in this game, even when I cheated each time by flying my ship to the nearest sliver of land that I could set down on before jumping into that terrible terrible vehicle for the last agonising crawl.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Minotaur is my friend and shoots bads for me and scares the everliving poo poo out of me every time I land my ship on a planet where the Minotaur has been let loose by meteoring in like some kind of a demented Kool Aid Man from above.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Done all the expedition phases, except for the optional one! Is there anyway to convert the save instantly I am missing? Kinda want to start building planetside bases and get my spaceship drives for reaching green systems.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Noir89 posted:

Done all the expedition phases, except for the optional one! Is there anyway to convert the save instantly I am missing? Kinda want to start building planetside bases and get my spaceship drives for reaching green systems.

The conversion triggers automatically but only after you complete all the phases including the optional one.

That said, the conversion doesn't do anything outside of letting you play multiplayer with other non-expedition saves, so don't feel like you have to wait for that

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I kinda assumed it would unlock the warp drive tree from the dude in the anomaly, and the base camp building :v:

Guess I gotta find someone to do the optional one with then!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Stare-Out posted:

The Minotaur is my friend and shoots bads for me and scares the everliving poo poo out of me every time I land my ship on a planet where the Minotaur has been let loose by meteoring in like some kind of a demented Kool Aid Man from above.

I love the minotaur except that after all the upgrades it's like totally uncontrollable in VR. Still my favorite exocraft on flatscreen

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Noir89 posted:

I kinda assumed it would unlock the warp drive tree from the dude in the anomaly, and the base camp building :v:

Guess I gotta find someone to do the optional one with then!

You know that's fair, you might be right, I could have sworn that all the "you're not allowed" tech like ship hyperdrives etc unlocked when you triggered the singularity drive but I admit that wasn't the thing I was paying the most attention to at the time

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

I love the minotaur except that after all the upgrades it's like totally uncontrollable in VR. Still my favorite exocraft on flatscreen

I VR on the PS5 so I switch from motion controls to a controller in any vehicle now. It's just easier, even though miming a steering wheel in the Roamer can be fun. The Minotaur is twice as terrifying/cool in VR because the sucker lands right in front of your face.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

You know that's fair, you might be right, I could have sworn that all the "you're not allowed" tech like ship hyperdrives etc unlocked when you triggered the singularity drive but I admit that wasn't the thing I was paying the most attention to at the time

Pestered dudes in the anomaly until i found someone and that fixed it thanks!

Yeah you got a hyperdrive for the ship but no base bp and the upgrades for more advanced drives where locked

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A friend gifted me this on GOG. How deeply will I fall into the game? :ohdear:

Also, I joined the discord and might've broken the bot.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

A friend gifted me this on GOG. How deeply will I fall into the game? :ohdear:

Also, I joined the discord and might've broken the bot.

if you're at all susceptible to the 'get resources to get upgrades to get even more resources to get even shinier and cooler upgrades' gameplay loop then i'll see you in 100+ hours

it can be a bit overwhelming at first but starting out scrabbling around a small patch of land on a single planet just trying to survive to warping across the galaxy with your giant mobile freighter base and fleet of frigates and invincible mech suit is a pretty cool feeling

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Stare-Out posted:

I VR on the PS5 so I switch from motion controls to a controller in any vehicle now. It's just easier, even though miming a steering wheel in the Roamer can be fun. The Minotaur is twice as terrifying/cool in VR because the sucker lands right in front of your face.

I wish I could do that on PC, but I don't think it works. Unless they implemented the ability to switch to controller at some point and I didn't know about it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

I wish I could do that on PC, but I don't think it works. Unless they implemented the ability to switch to controller at some point and I didn't know about it.

Oh that's a drag. It doesn't work if you put the VR controllers down and press something on a regular controller? That's how it works on Playstation anyway. I don't know much about PCVR.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Nautilon got a boost to default speed in a recent patch, the one for Endurance. It still feels slow, but I remember it being single digits and it's 20-22 units/s now. I think that was with the upgrade module I got from one of the milestones though. I still got as close as possible before using it.

Had an interesting bug when I was able to put down one of the stellar extractors in my expedition save... one of them had all of the output items broken except for the chromatic metal, and the tech in the input side was gone.. Instead there was somewhere between 4000 and 5000 nanites there. On the output, it had chromatic metal that was being generated but below that instead of one of the gases it had a stack of 4 Runaway Mould. The other two spots looked like empty spots from any other device. I was playing on my Steam Deck at the time, and didn't know how to take a screenshot. Probably one of the weirdest bugs I've ever had. I put down 4 stellar extractors and this was the only one bugged. It was right next to my refiner room. I'm not sure if that did anything.

Also, Experimental patch notes that just came out note that the interior stairs are coming back, and they're added outside stairs too. Pretty happy since I was annoyed my stairs got replaced with ladders in my main save.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

StarkRavingMad posted:

I keep a PowerA wired Switch controller plugged into my PC and I can enter a vehicle in VR, put my motion controllers on my desk, pick up my Switch controller, press a button, and start piloting that way. It's great!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Nullsmack posted:

Also, Experimental patch notes that just came out note that the interior stairs are coming back, and they're added outside stairs too. Pretty happy since I was annoyed my stairs got replaced with ladders in my main save.

Awesome. Goddamn it's nice to have a game dev who listens to the community, for real.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Diephoon posted:

I keep a PowerA wired Switch controller plugged into my PC and I can enter a vehicle in VR, put my motion controllers on my desk, pick up my Switch controller, press a button, and start piloting that way. It's great!

Huh, I didn't think that worked. I'll give it a try!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

if you're at all susceptible to the 'get resources to get upgrades to get even more resources to get even shinier and cooler upgrades' gameplay loop then i'll see you in 100+ hours

it can be a bit overwhelming at first but starting out scrabbling around a small patch of land on a single planet just trying to survive to warping across the galaxy with your giant mobile freighter base and fleet of frigates and invincible mech suit is a pretty cool feeling
I'm absolutely suceptible to that - I have so far put almost a thousand hours into Elite Dangerous, and that's a big part of the gameplay loop in that game too.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Exocraft are good for two things
- Booting around getting knowledge stones on a paradise planet
- Backup for Sentinel fights

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

Exocraft are good for two things
- Booting around getting knowledge stones on a paradise planet
- Backup for Sentinel fights

- Scanning for specific buildings

e:

-The big boy is handy for bonus storage early in the game.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 29, 2022

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Powershift posted:

- Scanning for specific buildings

Seriously. I think it only took me maybe an hour or two and 0 resources other than the repair materials to search up the ~40 drop pods I needed to max out my inventory the second I got the advanced scanner. It's also really handy to be able to scan for monoliths to find the portal.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i'm the weirdo who actually like chillin in the sub underwater, just wish it had a walkable interior like the cyclops in subnautica

i actually plan on building a rad water base in my new save once i get far enough (unless i die first since, permadeath)

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Can anyone explain the whole different universe thing wrt to gameplay? I believe in still in Euclid, but what are the gameplay ramifications of moving to another?

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

ughhhh posted:

Can anyone explain the whole different universe thing wrt to gameplay? I believe in still in Euclid, but what are the gameplay ramifications of moving to another?

Any tech in the general inventory slots on your character and your equipped ship, along with all the tech on your equipped multitool will be broken and need repair. Other than that, there's no negatives. You'll still be able to teleport to bases and space stations between galaxies.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

ughhhh posted:

It lets you choose from a bunch of different galaxies which are more likely to have certain types of planets (paradise, extreme etc.) Eissentam for instance is far more likely to have more paradise type planets.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ughhhh posted:

in addition to the above, different galaxy types have different abundances of various planet types. i personally prefer harsh, which as the name suggests has a much higher abundance of planets that will try really hard to kill you. the other types are lush, empty and normal, with euclid being a normal galaxy.

e: beaten

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Experimental Branch posted:

Fixed an issue that prevented freighter upgrades related to frigate speed and fuel usage from working correctly.

:toot:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ughhhh posted:

CaptainSkinny posted:

Any tech in the general inventory slots on your character and your equipped ship, along with all the tech on your equipped multitool will be broken and need repair.

Worth noting that this is explicitly "if you swap galaxies via normal gameplay methods"; you can frequently hop galaxies for free via the Anomaly (or having a friend that's in or has bases in another galaxy already). If you look at other people's bases in the teleporter list you'll frequently see a [Soandso Galaxy] that denotes the base is in a different galaxy than your current one; if you hop across and throw down a base computer/visit a space station you can get back into that galaxy for free whenever you want.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've played a couple of hours into the early game, and I really like it.

However, there's one thing that I'm sure I'm not the first person to remark on: Who makes a space game, keeps giving it expansions and updates, and doesn't include HOTAS support any-where or -when?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I mean the semi-comedy answer is "someone who knows you probably don't want to play something that's largely a 1st/3rd-person action game with a joystick"; the flight model is one of the if not the weakest part of the game (okay the exocraft control setup in general is pretty bad too)

But yeah ships are really just a method from getting from point A to point B, this isn't elite dangerous where you're going to want to spend a lot of time in a ship for the fun of it

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
this game with the elite dangerous flight model would take over my entire life

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

They finally fixed freighter expedition mods not working :byodood:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

When does that update go live?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

The Freighter Update is already live.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So once I finish this expedition, I can find a friend to help transfer my sick s-tier freighter tech to my permanent save, right?

Or should I just install this crazy poo poo in my tiny c-class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nice. I keep meaning to look into it but for those small updates where notes don't make the newsfeed is there a place on Steam to find them? I know if you catch the update in-progress there's an Update Details section (that's often blank on some games) but if you don't it can be difficult to even know one happened, let alone what's in it. Do you just hope the game in question updates their Discussions page?