Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

sebmojo posted:

The cyberiad owns so hard.

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Cyberiad: Hats off to Michael Kandel for the frankly bullshit task of getting Trurl's machine poet to work at all cross-languages.

https://mwichary.medium.com/seduced-shaggy-samson-snored-725b5a8086d9

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm always so jealous of the US kindle shop deals, the ones in Australia are always the same terrible crime thrillers.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You can just register a US address for the purchase and enjoy those deals!

Source: my amazon.co.uk purchases from my alternate address of 10 Downing street while technically being in a location that some might consider to be California.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

withak posted:

Source: my amazon.co.uk purchases from my alternate address of 10 Downing street while technically being in a location that some might consider to be California.

I registered/bought a Canadian address so I could get a physical copy of The Age of the Triffids which is only available in Canada or New Zealand for some weird copyright reason. I have yet to read and am undecided as to whether I'll read it or mount it on my wall like a hunting trophy.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Cyberiad: Hats off to Michael Kandel for the frankly bullshit task of getting Trurl's machine poet to work at all cross-languages.

https://mwichary.medium.com/seduced-shaggy-samson-snored-725b5a8086d9

Interestingly, the Swedish one is almost directly translated (about a cybererotomaniac) but still fulfills all the requirements.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

pradmer posted:

Cradle series box sets 1-3 (effectively the first 9 books) by Will Wight - Free
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B7KTKNFH/

This is a real steal. If you even vaguely like martial arts punch-wizards, you will like Cradle.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I'm always so jealous of the US kindle shop deals, the ones in Australia are always the same terrible crime thrillers.

Big same my brother.

withak posted:

Last time I tried to change my kindle country Amazon said if I changed it to US it'd delete everything and I couldn't get it back, so I stopped trying.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Just finished the new Katherine Addison, The Grief of Stones. The sequel to The Witness for the Dead, and if you enjoyed that you'll enjoy this one.

I really liked it. Celehar was the best character from The Goblin Emperor, and I think this spin-off series is better than the original. That said, I'm glad I have the original to hand so I can re-read the appendix on elf names and language every time, because it never really gets less dense.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

Just finished the new Katherine Addison, The Grief of Stones. The sequel to The Witness for the Dead, and if you enjoyed that you'll enjoy this one.

I really liked it. Celehar was the best character from The Goblin Emperor, and I think this spin-off series is better than the original. That said, I'm glad I have the original to hand so I can re-read the appendix on elf names and language every time, because it never really gets less dense.

That's awesome, I was really surprised how much I enjoyed speaker for the dead, buying it now.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

sebmojo posted:

The cyberiad owns so hard.

It really does; I think it's my favourite Lem. And yeah, Translator Kandel must be some kind of demigod.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Those do look interesting. House of Rust and The Past Is Red are in my reading backlog - anyone can chime in on them?

I've read both. Past is Red is a shorty and very good, about Tetley, a girl growing up in a garbage patch after a climate disaster. House of Rust is really interesting, first half is sort of a heroes journey almost fairy tale sort of thing. It seems very informed by the authors specific ethnic group and faith. There are definitely some interesting faith discussions with odd supernatural beings. The latter half is more family drama and magical realism sort of thing where she searches for the House of Rust. I enjoyed the book, and found it to be pretty unique.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

Wow, that sequel seems fast to me, but in actuality I probably read Speaker for the Dead like 2 years ago.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The dead speak!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

It really does; I think it's my favourite Lem. And yeah, Translator Kandel must be some kind of demigod.

Kandel wrote a few novels of his own. I've only read one, Captain Jack Zodiac, but sadly it wasn't that good -- he was trying for a Brazil-esque wacky dystopia but pushed the "wacky" button way too hard.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

As good as Stanislaw Lem's Cyberiad is, his Star Diaries short story collection tops it. Less omnipotent constructor robots, but it triples down on the Cyberiad cool scenarios and ideas.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

General Battuta posted:

The dead speak!

As long as they don't tweet

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
If you get the emote pack for just $3.99, you can make them dab.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

quantumfoam posted:

As good as Stanislaw Lem's Cyberiad is, his Star Diaries short story collection tops it. Less omnipotent constructor robots, but it triples down on the Cyberiad cool scenarios and ideas.

I've read three of his short story collections (The Cyberiad, The Star Diaries, and Mortal Engines) and for me Cyberiad tops the list -- there's a bunch of stories in Star Diaries that just did not land for me, for whatever reason.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ceebees posted:

If you get the emote pack for just $3.99, you can make them dab.

And here's what it would look like if Edgar Rice Burroughs did fortnite dances. $0.99 a piece.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I'm going through the Culture books for the first time, and I was blown away by how great Use of Weapons was.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Not gonna lie, if I could spend a buck to make Edgar Allen poe or Lovecraft boogie onscreen for my Xbox live avatar, I wouldn't be able to throw money at the screen fast enough.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Tokelau All Star posted:

I'm going through the Culture books for the first time, and I was blown away by how great Use of Weapons was.

Agreed. I took a break from the series there a month back because the loving chair reveal, and then the identity reveal, were a bit too much. The previous 2 books were also very good, that one just hit me harder than I was expecting.

I put the Dungeon Crawler Carl and Cradle series in my list when they were discussed in this thread and have greatly enjoyed both.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Just want to shout out the Spiral Wars series by Joel Shepherd. 8 (so far) doorstopper space opera books, and I just finished the 6th in a row and will definitely read them all. Comparatively, I gave up on David Drake's RCN series after only a few books.

Spiral Wars is a series with loads of alien species and AI factions with their own perspectives and goals, from the POV of a renegade human fleet ship that Has To Save The Human Race Even Though They Think We Disobeyed Orders.

They are a marine carrier, and so there's always some big extraction operation with powered armor on a planet or quiet infiltration or giant space battle that usually takes up the last 1/4th of each book. But it's the alien races and politics and the huge long history that are my favorite part.

Joel Shepherd is traditionally published but I think this series is all self-pub for money (???) :ssh:

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Jade City (Green Bone Saga #1) by Fonda Lee - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRCBRX8/

Fire from Heaven (Alexander the Great #1) by Mary Renault - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCGJ6Z4/

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Excession, Matter, Surface Detail, and The Hydrogen Sonata are the books where he goes from being somewhat literary as far as action-packed space opera adventures go to Full Technothriller Grandiose mode. Personally liked that style a lot more, though it seems rare for Banks readers.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Use of Weapons feels like Literature; like something he could have published without the middle initial. The Player of Games is more unabashedly genre fiction, but still in the realm of classic, clever science fiction. Stuff like Excession is a lot more cookie cutter space opera, with only the funny names ai ship gimmicks to set it apart.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
And I love each and every one of them.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I am finally, extremely late to the party, getting around to The Dispossessed and I know "Le Guin is good" is the stalest take in SF/F but holy poo poo Le Guin is good. I never got super into Earthsea, it was definitely good fantasy it just didn't light a fire under me, the The Dispossessed is something-loving-else, if you've skipped it, change that

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its been long enough that I can't remember why but I think look to windward was the one I liked the most

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I am finally, extremely late to the party, getting around to The Dispossessed and I know "Le Guin is good" is the stalest take in SF/F but holy poo poo Le Guin is good. I never got super into Earthsea, it was definitely good fantasy it just didn't light a fire under me, the The Dispossessed is something-loving-else, if you've skipped it, change that

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812499

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I'm also getting into Le Guin kick and this feels like my reaction to The Left Hand of Darkness which I was apprehensive about because of its infamous "everyone gets called 'he/him' on the genderless planet" problem. But the way things end up, it's basically "and that's the only problem with the novel, period" which is a really high bar.

I'm reading her The Wind's Twelve Quarters anthology right now which is so far worthwhile mostly in the 'seeing an excellent author in embryo' way. Doesn't always hit as hard as I know she can, and some ideas don't get to breathe enough, but most of the stuff is apprentice-work and its roughly-chronological order means you get a feel for the refinement of the craft as she gets better at this.

Excited to read The Dispossed but probably going to read The Lathe of Heaven first.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
A while back this thread reminded me Necroscope existed so I started reading that series.

It is very ridiculous and racist in only the way the British can be. It is great.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Just want to shout out the Spiral Wars series by Joel Shepherd. …
Joel Shepherd is traditionally published but I think this series is all self-pub for money (???) :ssh:
Trad in Australia, not the US. His stuff is all on KU and he has another, I think even better SciFi but not space opera series, Cassandra Kresnov, starting with Crossover. He also has a very good fantasy series, A Trial of Blood and Steel, starting with Sasha. Shepard has a really interesting, pragmatic approach to politics that to my mind make his work unique.

The Spiral Wars series, which I bounced off of a couple of times due to the lackluster first 30-or-so pages of the first book, grabbed me and I read all 8 doorstops in a few weeks.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Falls Down Stairs posted:

I'm also getting into Le Guin kick and this feels like my reaction to The Left Hand of Darkness which I was apprehensive about because of its infamous "everyone gets called 'he/him' on the genderless planet" problem. But the way things end up, it's basically "and that's the only problem with the novel, period" which is a really high bar.

I'm reading her The Wind's Twelve Quarters anthology right now which is so far worthwhile mostly in the 'seeing an excellent author in embryo' way. Doesn't always hit as hard as I know she can, and some ideas don't get to breathe enough, but most of the stuff is apprentice-work and its roughly-chronological order means you get a feel for the refinement of the craft as she gets better at this.

Excited to read The Dispossed but probably going to read The Lathe of Heaven first.

Just a heads up, I just finished Lathe of Heaven and while I liked it, I think I liked it the least of all of the Le Guin I've read, which isn't a ton admittedly. One thing I wish I'd known going in is that it was originally serialized in a sci-fi magazine and I think it has some oddities because of it, mostly a disconnected feeling between chapters and some minor repetitive story or narrative beats. it's still worth reading, but imo not as compelling as Left Hand or Dispossessed.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Counterpoint: Lathe of Heaven is probably my favourite Le Guin, and one of the few works of fiction I could plausibly say changed my outlook on life.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sailor Viy posted:

Counterpoint: Lathe of Heaven is probably my favourite Le Guin, and one of the few works of fiction I could plausibly say changed my outlook on life.

I read LoH for the first time late last year and enjoyed it a lot

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Also, Le Guin's 'LATHE OF HEAVEN' which was a lot more enjoyable - definitely had the 'classic era scifi' vibe emanating from it, but the story and the writing were top notch. Reading it I was thinking 'What else did I read that has this kinda storyline?' and it was Blake Crouch's recent-ish 'RECURSION' (which is totally a wrote-for-hollywood book but actually a lot of fun) but looking up further he claims to have not read LoH at the time of writing Recursion; I'm rubbing my chin here.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Remulak posted:

Trad in Australia, not the US. His stuff is all on KU and he has another, I think even better SciFi but not space opera series, Cassandra Kresnov, starting with Crossover. He also has a very good fantasy series, A Trial of Blood and Steel, starting with Sasha. Shepard has a really interesting, pragmatic approach to politics that to my mind make his work unique.

The Spiral Wars series, which I bounced off of a couple of times due to the lackluster first 30-or-so pages of the first book, grabbed me and I read all 8 doorstops in a few weeks.

Just started #7 and read the intro material, it says the entire 6 book Cassandra Kresnov series was published by Pyr in the US. And I look forward to reading it :toot:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I haven't read the other two series yet but I did like how Spiral Wars manages to be like... non-ideological, but still a deeply political story. That's a really fine line to tread in a genre where many, many authors have their characters turn to the screen and talk about how the pussy Space Democrats are the only reason Space America hasn't won the war yet or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Larry Parrish posted:

I haven't read the other two series yet but I did like how Spiral Wars manages to be like... non-ideological, but still a deeply political story. That's a really fine line to tread in a genre where many, many authors have their characters turn to the screen and talk about how the pussy Space Democrats are the only reason Space America hasn't won the war yet or whatever.

I've gotten maybe a few small hints of libertarianism (I mean he actually uses the word libertarian a few times and has a character who is a self avowed libertarian). But then he introduces a race or two who are more libertarian and shows them as being just as hosed up as everybody else so :shrug: